OT: Sonics On The Way Back?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

OT: Sonics On The Way Back?

Postby RiverDog » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:55 am

OK, so it's only half off topic. It's about Seattle, but not the Seahawks.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/25/ada ... red-video/
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: OT: Sonics On The Way Back?

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:08 pm

hope so
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:49 pm

The NBA lost me long before the Sonics were hijacked to Oklahoma. The last complete NBA game that I watched was when Michael Jordan and the Bulls beat Utah and John Stockton in the finals back in the '90's.

Nevertheless, there's still a lot of fans in the area that are desperate for a team to root for, so I'm hoping that something happens to bring them back. I'd also like to see an NHL franchise move in, but I'm not sure that the Seattle market could support 4 (or 5, if you count the Sounders) professional major league franchises, plus UW.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:40 pm

The NBA lost me long before the Sonics were hijacked to Oklahoma.

This. They left and I couldn't bring myself to give a rip.

And yeah, I want NHL waaaaaaay more than the NBA, but there seems to be an assumption that unless a dual-use arena is built for the NBA, the NHL won't be coming to SEA.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:41 pm

On "NBA Jump" they discussed over 1 BILLION in a franchise fee (!!!!!) based on what the Clipper's sold for, and that's just to get the rights to be the next franchise. So, Other than Gates, who could / would pay that fee anyway?

js
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:17 am

I never understood how you guys lost it in the first place, moreover, I am surprised that Allen didn't move the Blazers to Seattle. That was the word on the block when you guys first lost them.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:22 am

obiken wrote:I never understood how you guys lost it in the first place, moreover, I am surprised that Allen didn't move the Blazers to Seattle. That was the word on the block when you guys first lost them.

That's odd. I never heard one whisper about Allen moving the Blazers to Seattle.

There was a lot of bad blood between Seattle and the NBA commish at the time. It was a case of bad timing: The team was bad, the economy, particularly the Seattle real estate market, was bad, the economic model for NBA arenas had recently changed, the Seattle mayor and city council were a pack of idiots, etc.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:54 am

the Seattle mayor and city council were a pack of idiots

And they've only gotten worse. They're *humiliatingly* incompetent now.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:23 am

burrrton wrote:And they've only gotten worse. They're *humiliatingly* incompetent now.

They couldn't have gotten worse than the baboons that wasted taxpayer dollars on the "toilets for the homeless" initiative.

As a lifelong citizen of the state, Seattle proper is a bit of an embarrassment for me. For example, I will not wear Seahawks paraphernalia with an image of the Space Needle on it because it is too Seattle.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:06 am

Yeah, wearing *anything* with the Space Needle on it is the Pacific Northwest equivalent of walking around LA with Mickey Mouse ears on.

Have to add, though, the food up there is pretty dmn good (and reasonable if you go for lunch, not dinner) considering its 'touristy' nature.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:16 am

burrrton wrote:Yeah, wearing *anything* with the Space Needle on it is the Pacific Northwest equivalent of walking around LA with Mickey Mouse ears on.

Have to add, though, the food up there is pretty dmn good (and reasonable if you go for lunch, not dinner) considering its 'touristy' nature.

Oh, the city itself is fantastic, one of the top big cities in the country IMO. It's their citizens that I don't have a lot in common with. They're a bunch of idealistic moonbats.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:08 pm

All the Seattle haters are so funny. Second most popular place to move to. One of the best economies in the country. The state just passed the budget on the backs of people in Seattle (so yes the rest of us are on the Seattle dole.) Yet everyone complains about it. Do people have any idea what their taxes would be without Seattle forking over the money to run the rest of the state?

"But they're too liberaaaal." Tell ya what, you start paying the taxes they all pay and I'll start listening snowflakes.

As far as the Sonics, like lot's of people here I lost interest when the team was stolen. Since it appears the city council is hellbent of forcing reconstruction of the Arena I just don't see how an NBA franchise will fit there. Hockey I can see, but NBA teams want 18k plus as well as premo parking. It's not going to fit under that roof.
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:53 am

RiverDog wrote:Oh, the city itself is fantastic, one of the top big cities in the country IMO. It's their citizens that I don't have a lot in common with. They're a bunch of idealistic moonbats.

The city itself *is* fantastic, but I was referring to the Needle restaurant when I said "up there".
burrrton
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum