Justin Britt

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Justin Britt

Postby depaashaas » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:40 am

Looks like Hawks are working out extension with him 9 mil a year, finally some stability on the O line

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... h-seahawks
depaashaas
Legacy

Re: Justin Britt

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:12 pm

Hope it's true.
I've been working under the assumption that they would let him go because of price, but with Ifedi and Fant on rookie contracts, it isn't that bad the next couple of years.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:48 pm

You mean we're going to actually hold on to a decent lineman for his second contract? Capitol idea!!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:19 pm

Not that Britt is anymore deserving than the long list of offensive linemen that our OL felt wasn't worth a 2nd contract, at least it shows that they're concerned enough about the OL fortunes that they're willing to overpay a little to achieve some stability.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:38 pm

This is a pleasant surprise.

Confirmed.

"The Seahawks announced the extension, which Adam Caplan of ESPN reports is worth $27 million and sets Britt up to make $13.25 million through the 2018 season. Britt was signed for a salary of just over $891,000 this season in the final year of the four-year rookie deal he signed in 2014."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... tin-britt/
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:34 pm

Good news hopefully leading to some stability for that unit.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:52 pm

Glad to read it is true. Congrats to Britt and to Hawk fans. :D
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:47 pm

Britt seems to have found his niche at center. He's not a great physical specimen. But sometimes if you have a guy that can make the rest of the O-line better, he's worth keeping.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:56 pm

RiverDog wrote:Not that Britt is anymore deserving than the long list of offensive linemen that our OL felt wasn't worth a 2nd contract, at least it shows that they're concerned enough about the OL fortunes that they're willing to overpay a little to achieve some stability.

I actually think he is more deserving as he was a pro-bowl alternate last year, his first as a starting center. Also, why do you call this an overpay? He was due 900k this year and signed a 3 yr/27 mil extension, which puts the total at 4 yrs 28 mil or 7 mil a year which puts him as the 9th highest paid C in the league. If he would have played this year like he did last year he certainly would have commanded more than that on the open market...
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:59 am

The last couple of years snapped the FO back to reality that they can't keep letting good players leave and rebuild the OL every year and still expect continuity.
It was a bad idea all along.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:01 am

NorthHawk wrote:The last couple of years snapped the FO back to reality that they can't keep letting good players leave and rebuild the OL every year and still expect continuity.

Britt is just one signing. It's going to take one or two more similar signings, or one or two big FA acquisitions, to convince me that they've snapped back to reality.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:21 am

If they stick with Ifedi, Fant, Glowinski, and Pocic, they won't have to pay big money for a few years, so it gives them some breathing room.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:58 pm

If they stick with Glowinski and Ifedi they will be paying RW's hospital bills.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:14 pm

NorthHawk wrote:The last couple of years snapped the FO back to reality that they can't keep letting good players leave and rebuild the OL every year and still expect continuity.

I don't get this, who do you wish they would have re-signed? Everybody on the O-line that they have let go has been viewed as a clear overpay. Who would you have liked them to resign that they let go on the O-line? Carp? Breno? Sweezy? Breno has already been cut. Carp has a 7 mil cap hit. Sweezy hasn't played a down for the Bucs and has been paid 16 mil... IMO the FO is willing to pay players that they feel are worth what they have to pay them, but are not willing to overpay for mediocre players.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:36 pm

I don't get this, who do you wish they would have re-signed? Everybody on the O-line that they have let go has been viewed as a clear overpay. Who would you have liked them to resign that they let go on the O-line? Carp? Breno? Sweezy? Breno has already been cut. Carp has a 7 mil cap hit. Sweezy hasn't played a down for the Bucs and has been paid 16 mil... IMO the FO is willing to pay players that they feel are worth what they have to pay them, but are not willing to overpay for mediocre players.

Yep, pretty much agree with this line of thinking. I was remembering who was let go to walk away, you mentioned Carp, Breno, Sweezy, there was also Okung, and of course Unger was traded for Graham.

Not one of those guys was worth the coin they got, especially when there were so many defensive players who needed to get paid who DID deserve what they got.

I admit, the O-line has stunk it up the last few years, but I wouldn't change much with who walked and who got paid here to stay and play. With the D now paid and settled in for the next 2 years (no one of significance is a UFA until 2019..Sherm, ET, Clark, Avril and Wright), the focus seems to be shifted towards the Offense, and the line looks like it has some potential. I am not, however, sold on Fant at LT. Hoping he works out this year.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:00 pm

mykc14 wrote:I don't get this, who do you wish they would have re-signed? Everybody on the O-line that they have let go has been viewed as a clear overpay. Who would you have liked them to resign that they let go on the O-line? Carp? Breno? Sweezy? Breno has already been cut. Carp has a 7 mil cap hit. Sweezy hasn't played a down for the Bucs and has been paid 16 mil... IMO the FO is willing to pay players that they feel are worth what they have to pay them, but are not willing to overpay for mediocre players.

It's not just failing to resign linemen already on our roster. It's failing to bring in free agents off the 'A' or 'B' lists. Besides, it's not exactly fair to justify a decision by going forward in time from the decision point and claiming it was a good decision based on their lack of success with another team. Who knows what their careers been like had they resigned with us.

Britt was going to be a good yardstick to measure their commitment by. He's not a Pro Bowl center and he's not mediocre, either. He's a solid starter. Had they let him walk, then there would have been very little evidence to support their claim a commitment to building a good offensive line.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:05 pm

For what's in costing in Cap Space, I would assume the Luke Joeckel is on the proverbial "A or B" list, RD.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:39 pm

RiverDog wrote:Besides, it's not exactly fair to justify a decision by going forward in time from the decision point and claiming it was a good decision based on their lack of success with another team. Who knows what their careers been like had they resigned with us.

Britt was going to be a good yardstick to measure their commitment by. He's not a Pro Bowl center and he's not mediocre, either. He's a solid starter. Had they let him walk, then there would have been very little evidence to support their claim a commitment to building a good offensive line.

I wouldn't say that I'm justifying the decision now based on what has happened, I (as were many others) was against re-signing them for the amount of money they received from the get go. What has happened since then just reinforces my original bet that they were overpaid. It could be that both Carp and Sweezy are pro-bowl guards next season, but it wouldn't change the fact that it seemed like a bad idea to overpay for them at the time.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:40 am

mykc14 wrote:I wouldn't say that I'm justifying the decision now based on what has happened, I (as were many others) was against re-signing them for the amount of money they received from the get go. What has happened since then just reinforces my original bet that they were overpaid. It could be that both Carp and Sweezy are pro-bowl guards next season, but it wouldn't change the fact that it seemed like a bad idea to overpay for them at the time.

Which was my point when I objected to your using their post Seahawk woes to justify not resigning them. It's one of those "hindsight is always 20/20" things.

And for the record, I was for not resigning Carpenter. He was a disappointment from the day we drafted him and his one year revitalization in which he lost a bunch of weight and had a decent season during his contract year had the smell of rising to the monetary occasion. Sweeney, however, was a different case. He had shown quite a bit of promise given that he was a converted DL.

But debating the past is a bit moot. I'm glad that we resigned Britt. He may not be a future HOF'er, but it's an indication that our brain trust is serious about rebuilding the OL and that it's not just a bunch of double talk.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:14 am

Sweezy was just an average Guard IMO and a decent replacement could have been found, but the FO decided against keeping Evans. As well, Cable said that he thinks some of Sweezy's overagression caused Britt to not develop properly as it rubbed off.
Carpenter went to the Jets and immediately became one of their best O Linemen and at one point they were promoting him for the Pro Bowl.
His Cap hits were as follows:
2015: 2.4 Million
2016: 3.1 Million
Hardly overpaying considering what happened to our OL the last 2 years.
This year and next, the Cap hit for him is 6.8 Million which looks like about the average for a good G next year as the prices are rising.
According to Spotrac, his Cap hit would be around 20th next year (using this year's rankings), so it's not outrageous and 26th this year.

The real problem with what they did was let players go without any viable replacements in place.
Traded Unger. Result: chaos at Center.
Let Carpenter go. Result: revolving door at LG.
Let Sweezy go. Did not keep Evans. Result: revolving door at RG.
Let Okung go. Result: another revolving door at LT including a former Basketball player who only played a handful of games at TE since high school.
That was a huge gamble during a championship window and with most high risk gambles one looks back at them with regret as the rest of the team was
capable of going to and possibly winning the Super Bowl.
The state of our OL meant the team as a whole was not.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:14 pm

NorthHawk wrote:The real problem with what they did was let players go without any viable replacements in place.
Traded Unger. Result: chaos at Center.
Let Carpenter go. Result: revolving door at LG.
Let Sweezy go. Did not keep Evans. Result: revolving door at RG.
Let Okung go. Result: another revolving door at LT including a former Basketball player who only played a handful of games at TE since high school.
That was a huge gamble during a championship window and with most high risk gambles one looks back at them with regret as the rest of the team was
capable of going to and possibly winning the Super Bowl.
The state of our OL meant the team as a whole was not.

This.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum