deja vu

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

deja vu

Postby Anthony » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:41 am

This is starting to remind me of our last trip to the SB. Then everyone was talking about Bettis, now Manning and his legacy, I wonder if the Refs will be the same. I have not heard one person say we have a chance...yet.
Anthony
Legacy

Re: deja vu

Postby savvyman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:59 am

Anthony wrote:This is starting to remind me of our last trip to the SB. Then everyone was talking about Bettis, now Manning and his legacy, I wonder if the Refs will be the same. I have not heard one person say we have a chance...yet.

Yes Anthony - you are not alone - I was thinking the same a couple weeks ago. I imagine (and if I had to place money on it) that the NFL front office wants Peyton and the Broncos as their poster boys rather than the TTT (Trash Talking Thugs) & the Most Penalized Team & The Team that the Mainstream Press has said were "Cheaters" that are known as the Seahawks.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 pm

The only thing that makes it even remotely mirror the build-up to Super Bowl XL is that we are Seahawk fans, and we know that nobody but us knows a whole lot about this team.

This is not the same sort of Seahawk team that went to Detroit in February 2006.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby daweez » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:15 pm

From what I have seen and read it has been close to 50/50 on predictions from the media.
daweez
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:55 pm

The Manning stuff is gross. The guy is obviously an amazing QB who ran into better overall teams in the playoffs/Super Bowl. The reality of Peyton's playoff plight is there simply isnt enough roster money to build an entire team when the QB makes 20M (or whatever) a season. Ask Flacco... but to say Manning needs another ring to validate his career is shameful.

As far as the media gushing over a ring for fading star, I'm sick of hearing the same sort of love fest for Champ Bailey.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby Long Time Fan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:00 pm

rottweiler wrote:nobody but us knows a whole lot about this team.

Fact.

National perception is that Seahawks are; PED induced ranters, weed tokers, midget passers, pedestrian receivers, collegiate violating coached, thugs who are cheered on by piped in noise aided fans that live somewhere out in the wilderness of the NW.

This works in our favor. By game time the chip on these players shoulders will be massive. Our team knows who it is. Why not us.
Long Time Fan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Long Time Fan wrote:
rottweiler wrote:nobody but us knows a whole lot about this team.

Fact.

National perception is that Seahawks are; PED induced ranters, weed tokers, midget passers, pedestrian receivers, collegiate violating coached, thugs who are cheered on by piped in noise aided fans that live somewhere out in the wilderness of the NW.

This works in our favor. By game time the chip on these players shoulders will be massive. Our team knows who it is. Why not us.

Actually I think there are those who have that perception, and its primarily driven by the elitists in the sports media. But the truth is getting out, sort of like their OMG reaction to this Sherman "rant" that's blowing up in their faces. Its becoming about the kid from Compton who made it to Stanford and now IS the best corner in the league, not to mention a funny, intelligent caring and charitable man who is a model citizen.

In 2005 we were perceived to be the soft little Seahawks with our gadget offense and our bald QB.It was easy and pain free to set us up because the team only had a regional following. When the refs pulled the rug out from under us we folded like a cheap suit and even though it was so bad most everyone outside of $#1tburg cried foul they got over it and went and bought their Steelers jerseys. Well guess what?this year Wilson is the #2 selling jersey in America, Lynch is I believe #6(everyone knows who BEAST MODE is!!!!) Sherman lo and behold is at #10, the only defensive player in the top ten and hes on the way up. The team is developing a national following. I'm the biggest conspiracy theorist around and I have always contended that the "Name" teams get favored over the no names. Well Seattle is becoming a "name" team with super interesting and talented players and a unique brand of hard nosed football.I will be shocked if the officials dare hometown us in Jersey. We will have a couple more questionable calls but nothing these guys haven't seen all year.I think its going to be Mano E Mano and I like Seattle's chances.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:43 pm

Anthony wrote:This is starting to remind me of our last trip to the SB. Then everyone was talking about Bettis, now Manning and his legacy, I wonder if the Refs will be the same. I have not heard one person say we have a chance...yet.

There's not one player on this roster that played in 2005. The current RB doesn't look for any chance he has to lay down or run out of bounds to avoid a hit.
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:59 pm

I actually get the feeling that Goodell would like to see the Hawks win if for no other reason that if there is a one sided officiated Super Bowl where the Seahawks come out on the short end again it's really not going to look good.

But I also think he sees the Seahawks rabid fanbase as a model that he can promote. The 12th man mystique is really good for what is quietly the biggest problem in the NFL right now, the declining enjoyability of attending games in person vs. watching in your living room (especially for the price).
kalibane
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:02 pm

Distant Relative wrote:

There's not one player on this roster that played in 2005. The current RB doesn't look for any chance he has to lay down or run out of bounds to avoid a hit.

*sigh*

Alexander ran for 8.2 trillion yards that year. He wasn't a punishing runner by any stretch, but you simply can't do that avoiding hits at all costs.

(and yes, I know his production went poof along with our o-line, but still...)
Last edited by burrrton on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:05 pm

The 12th man mystique is really good for what is quietly the biggest problem in the NFL right now, the declining enjoyability of attending games in person vs. watching in your living room (especially for the price).

Yep. I actually had a chance to get a ticket to the NFCCG, but at the inflated prices the other 3 were considering, I passed, opting for my little hole with my 50" plasma, laptop in front of me, and radio next to me (well, radio was worthless that day, but you get the picture).

If I didn't have a buddy with season tix that he frequently sells me for face value, my attendance would be sparse.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:13 pm

Agree with Burrrton. I was one of Alexander's biggest critics but he was not why the Hawks lost the Super Bowl. He was the most talented starting RB since Curt Warner at that point (I say starting because I was an Ahman Green Fan from the time he was drafted, think Holmgren didn't give him a fair shot and given his straight line speed there is an argument to be made).

Alexander used to drive me crazy at times but only to the point that I would have preferred they not resigned him at the price it cost, even though that was totally unrealistic. He was a legit Pro Bowl RB even if he was cut from the same cloth as Franco Harris.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:20 pm

kalibane wrote:Agree with Burrrton. I was one of Alexander's biggest critics but he was not why the Hawks lost the Super Bowl. He was the most talented starting RB since Curt Warner at that point (I say starting because I was an Ahman Green Fan from the time he was drafted, think Holmgren didn't give him a fair shot and given his straight line speed there is an argument to be made).

Alexander used to drive me crazy at times but only to the point that I would have preferred they not resigned him at the price it cost, even though that was totally unrealistic. He was a legit Pro Bowl RB even if he was cut from the same cloth as Franco Harris.

SA was what he was. he was one of the best at setting up his blockers and being patient, right in the Emmet Smith mode. He was not physical, and he was not a ripped workout warrior. But he was a great back, and one of the forgotten story lines of SB XL was that Holmgren didn't feature him more, even though he averaged 5 ypc for the game.The no call on the BLATANT horse collar changed the game, part of a 4 play sequence involving an FD up call or or FD up no call (sometimes on the same play) that ultimately was a huge factor in deciding the game. If we get an off sides on Haggins(correct call) instead of a hold on Locklear(ridiculous call) then SA is going to be testing that D 4 times from the 1 and he had a nose for the end zone like almost no other back. Porter made a great decision to horse collar SA because he was going to get the first down and maybe score. So once more the sequence was play #1 hold on Locklear when the guys off sides(uncalled) and Lock doesn't hold anyway taking the ball off the 1. Play 2 Haggins is even further off sides(uncalled) and Hass gets sacked. Play 3 one of the most blatant horse collars ever seen (uncalled)BTW if Porter had been trying to horse collar Lynch he would have went for about a 10 yard ride and had his shoulder dislocated....... Play 4 pick, FD up low block call taking the ball from the 30 to the 45.

I really don't see how they dare do that again. If they do its been nice knowing y'all. Ill stop by and pay my respects but I will quit watching the game if the officiating resembles the abortion known as SB XL.....
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:52 pm

Emmit (as loathe as I am to say it) was way more of a warrior than Alexander was. He put his head down and fought for whatever yards he could get no matter where he was on the field. He was overrated due to that ridiculous offensive line getting him 5 yards deep before someone touched him but when he was touched he fell forward, can't deny that.

My biggest problem with Alexander was that in the redzone that guy had one of the best noses for the goal line I've seen, but on 3rd and 1 at the 40 he didn't fight for yards. I might have had a different opinion if he was just like Jerome Bettis and wasn't a good short yardage back, my issue was he was a great short yardage back but seemingly only when he wanted to be.

That being said... he was still really really really good.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:10 pm

kalibane wrote:Emmit (as loathe as I am to say it) was way more of a warrior than Alexander was. He put his head down and fought for whatever yards he could get no matter where he was on the field. He was overrated due to that ridiculous offensive line getting him 5 yards deep before someone touched him but when he was touched he fell forward, can't deny that.

My biggest problem with Alexander was that in the redzone that guy had one of the best noses for the goal line I've seen, but on 3rd and 1 at the 40 he didn't fight for yards. I might have had a different opinion if he was just like Jerome Bettis and wasn't a good short yardage back, my issue was he was a great short yardage back but seemingly only when he wanted to be.

That being said... he was still really really really good.

We have no disagreement. I completely agree with you about SA. When he wanted to he could run through or around anyone. When it was 3rd and 2 at midfield and Ray Lewis was coming up in the hole he would fall down like a 180 pound receiver. Its why he will never sniff the HOF IMO even though he put up huge #s. He was who he was, SA. I'm of the mindset that we could have kept Green and had a team that would have been much more dominant and durable with the pick we gave to get the guy and the worthless trade we gave Ahman Green away on. Oh well here we are 8 years later...
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:34 am

8 years later we are all older and wiser.
And a lot less snippity at each other than we used to be. Monkey and HC still stir things up, and I love em for that.

I feel different about this SB. Not so naive, I feel that we are ready for the refs to throw some bad flags our way. Hell, they do that every game.

Our team are the bad boys of the league. I like that. That's a story in and of itself. Can a "finesse" type offensive team beat the bad boys number 1 defense of the league?

Storyline could go many ways. People are sick of Manning which why the RW jersey is selling so well. I think there is a renaissance going on with the Seahawks of sorts. They know we were screwed last time in part due to horrible calls not seen since 2005. I know many Greenbay and New York fans that are cheering for us, of course they can't stand the Broncos.

But many are also cheering for us because they can't stand the "golden boy" of football(Peyton Manning), and their apparent privilege(real or perceived)from "ARCHIE".

The Manning story doesn't go over well with several of my friends in Tampa or Phoenix or Texas for that matter. Many people I reckon have Manning sticker shock. Manning the HOFer Manning the MVP, Manning the best qb ever.

To me his personal injury story is what I love the best about Manning, and his personality. But rightly or wrongly the guy has been shoved down our throats every year he plays. I personally could care less, but based on what I hear from my friends, this situation could backfire and go our way in terms of storyline.

Just my guesses. Who the heck knows?
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:57 am

My mantra for this year (and 2012, really) is mental toughness when talking about the Seahawks.

This group of players is so far ahead of any other team we've ever fielded when it comes to attitude, focus and grit, that it's not even close.

It's also the main reason we are going to prevail and win the Super Bowl.

We are flat out tougher than the Broncos, both in a physical sense and, more importantly, the aforementioned mental part of the game.

Seattle has come full circle, and ready to hoist the Lombardi.

Believe it, fellas.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:10 am

Zorn76 wrote:My mantra for this year (and 2012, really) is mental toughness when talking about the Seahawks.

This group of players is so far ahead of any other team we've ever fielded when it comes to attitude, focus and grit, that it's not even close.

It's also the main reason we are going to prevail and win the Super Bowl.

We are flat out tougher than the Broncos, both in a physical sense and, more importantly, the aforementioned mental part of the game.

Seattle has come full circle, and ready to hoist the Lombardi.

Believe it, fellas.

One of your best posts Zorn!

THIS!!!!! :ugeek: :D
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:46 am

But he was a great back, and one of the forgotten story lines of SB XL was that Holmgren didn't feature him more, even though he averaged 5 ypc for the game.

We put up 400 yards of offense, even *after* accounting for all the sh*tty calls. I think the offensive gameplan worked out ok.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:02 am

I'd bet against it. There's going to be a whole lot of scrutiny on the officiating because of what happened on our last trip to the Super Bowl.

As far as the love fest with Peyton, it was inevitable. Peyton Manning is one of the world's most recognizable athletes and the NFL is going to try to make as much money off of his popularity as they can. Having him in the Super Bowl is a dream come true for them.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:46 am

We're getting the same ref we had for the Saints playoff game.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby Long Time Fan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:06 am

kalibane wrote:But I also think he sees the Seahawks rabid fanbase as a model that he can promote. The 12th man mystique is really good for what is quietly the biggest problem in the NFL right now, the declining enjoyability of attending games in person vs. watching in your living room (especially for the price).

Great point. Certainly there is an element of homage paying to Manning as a lead up to this Superbowl. But have no doubt that "this" NFL is very forward looking and just like any demographically concerned marketing entity, the NFL is focused on the "next big thing". All advertising looks first to the 18-24 demographic simply because the lifespan of their buying power is the greatest. 18-24 year old see Mannings big forehead before they see his big arm.

The issue of "at game" experience as a value proposition against the "at home" experience is a huge concern for the NFL. The Seahawk fanbase is a hint at a remedy. The NFL wants competitive balance among the teams, but they also want the fanbases to compete. This is part and parcel of the reason they allowed the decibel-off between Seattle and kc.

Now does any of this translate into an on field advantage? Doubtful. The referring is mostly random when bad. Of course the effect of a home crowd plays to the refs with rabbit ears, but there will be no home cooking in NJ. The Seahawks win 6 of 10 games played on a nuetral field against Denver (Opinion). We will win. Why not us!
Long Time Fan
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:54 pm

There is a famous photo of Y.A. Tittle of the N.Y. Giants sitting in the middle of the field after he and his team had been vanquished by their upstart rival the G.B. Packers. Now, fast forward to 2014 and picture a vanquished Peyton Manning sitting in the middle of the field in East Rutherford after the Seahawks defeat the Broncos.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:26 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:There is a famous photo of Y.A. Tittle of the N.Y. Giants sitting in the middle of the field after he and his team had been vanquished by their upstart rival the G.B. Packers. Now, fast forward to 2014 and picture a vanquished Peyton Manning sitting in the middle of the field in East Rutherford after the Seahawks defeat the Broncos.

I remember that photo, black and white, Tittle kneeling on one knee, helmut off. Must have been late 50's/early 60's. Good analogy, and I think the location was Yankee Stadium, not too far away from the site of this year's SB. Hope it comes true.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:35 pm

burrrton wrote:
Distant Relative wrote:

*sigh*

Alexander ran for 8.2 trillion yards that year. He wasn't a punishing runner by any stretch, but you simply can't do that avoiding hits at all costs.

(and yes, I know his production went poof along with our o-line, but still...)

"I know his production went poof along with our o-line, but still"

But still what? SA ran behind arguably the best O line in the game during his years in Seattle! After Hutch and Walter were gone so was SA's career. Sigh.

Could you Imagine what ML would do behind an O line like that? Those guys opened holes you could drive a truck through!
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:10 pm

Distant Relative wrote:
"I know his production went poof along with our o-line, but still"

But still what? SA ran behind arguably the best O line in the game during his years in Seattle! After Hutch and Walter were gone so was SA's career. Sigh.

Could you Imagine what ML would do behind an O line like that? Those guys opened holes you could drive a truck through!

So as much as I was not much of a Alexander fan, I hate to say it he did not run behind arguable the best o-line, he ran behind arguably the best left side. The Dallas o-line that Smith ran behind boasts 4 HOF that would be the best o-line, as of now only one person on our o-line will get into the HOF. Not to mention if you look at football outsiders.com and looked at o-line you would see they were never ranked #1.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:21 pm

Never said they were ranked number 1. You are missing the point. Not going to continue a discussion with a poster who want's to twist my words.

Sorry I even posted on this thread.
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:06 pm

But still what?

What do you mean "but still what"??

He ran behind a good O-line, not the best, not by any stretch, and arguably it was only Hutch and Walt. You don't run for the kind of yardage he did behind a *good* O-line if you're, as the comment insinuated, shying away from all contact and ducking out of bounds at the first opportunity.

Again, this isn't to argue SA was the "tough" runner ML is, but he wasn't some dandy, either. That's just the hyperbole of more and more distant caricatures surfacing.

Might fly with those who didn't watch closely, but it won't with us.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:52 pm

I think we have a more punishing back in Lynch. I would take Lynch over Alexander any day.
Speaking of RB's is Maurice Morris still playing?
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:12 pm

burrrton wrote:
But still what?

What do you mean "but still what"??

He ran behind a good O-line, not the best, not by any stretch, and arguably it was only Hutch and Walt. You don't run for the kind of yardage he did behind a *good* O-line if you're, as the comment insinuated, shying away from all contact and ducking out of bounds at the first opportunity.

Again, this isn't to argue SA was the "tough" runner ML is, but he wasn't some dandy, either. That's just the hyperbole of more and more distant caricatures surfacing.

Might fly with those who didn't watch closely, but it won't with us.

Yeah, the revisionist history around Alexander drives me crazy.
That guy was one heckuva running back any way you slice it, and personally I'm tired of hearing fans give the o line all the credit. It's nonsense proved by the fact that, when Alexander got hurt, and fans all got to see their favorite, the backup Morris, he was lousy behind the same exact line Alexander had been great behind. Maurice Morris, now that was a dude who did nothing, and yet fans all seemed to love for no reason I ever understood! While Alexander was setting records, Morris was the fan favorite...made no sense then, and no sense now either.
monkey
Legacy

Postby EntiatHawk » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:43 pm

kalibane wrote:I actually get the feeling that Goodell would like to see the Hawks win if for no other reason that if there is a one sided officiated Super Bowl where the Seahawks come out on the short end again it's really not going to look good.

But I also think he sees the Seahawks rabid fanbase as a model that he can promote. The 12th man mystique is really good for what is quietly the biggest problem in the NFL right now, the declining enjoyability of attending games in person vs. watching in your living room (especially for the price).

Kalibane, That is a great perspective. I can totally see that. We are one of the franchises that put a lot of meaning into the game time experience.

Now let's go get a ring!!!!
EntiatHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum