The current state of the O-Line

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

The current state of the O-Line

Postby Largent80 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:13 am

So, we thought we had the left side solidified. One play took care of the entire season for Fant at LT.

This is huge because LT's aren't just roaming the streets looking for work and The guy we got is playing well at LG and was not so good at LT in Jacksonville.

Odhiambo came in for Fant and absolutely STUNK up the joint. Ifedi got RW killed on a sack.

They could slide Joeckel out, move the also terrible Glowinski back and try to settle the rest of it on the right side, but make no mistake...This O-Line is in deep DOO-DOO again...... :roll:
Largent80
Legacy

Re: The current state of the O-Line

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:39 am

I would think they are looking at Joeckel at LT and Odhiambo at LG, as I thought Joeckel was to be the backup LT. Perhaps Odhiambo at LT last night was a test.
Whatever they do they have to figure it out soon.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:06 pm

We'll be going through other teams scrap heaps as cuts are made.

I feel badly for Fant - but I honestly hope we end up developing another prospect. We need to be drafting more prospects like Pocic, and less of street projects.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:11 pm

I am with Zorn we need to pick up someone from another team who cuts them. We can hopefully find a promise with some experience.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:38 am

Odhiambo entered Friday night in the second quarter immediately after Fant went off on the back of a cart with an air cast over his right leg. He held his ground on the first snap, a pass rush from the outside the Minnesota burned Seattle’s tackles with much of the night. But Odhiambo gave up two sacks within the first three plays after halftime. The second time was while he was being flagged for holding Ifeadi Odenigbo and the Vikings’ defensive end was going through him on his way to dumping backup quarterback Trevone Boykin. Odhiambo had another holding penalty -- and enough alarms that Cable’s assessment before the game of “inconsistencies” with Odhiambo make one wonder when the good times have been to keep him from the assessment of “consistently subpar.”

He’s been slow, both with his feet and getting out to edge pass rushers and in showing why Seattle drafted him.

"He’s been a little bit up and down,” Carroll said late Friday, which for the always-sunny coach is the equivalent of “bad.”

“He’s been playing both spots, guard and tackle of the left side. We like his physicality. He’s a good athlete. He’s strong and tough and all that. Just cleaning up his game so he can be real consistent is what we’re concerned about, and how soon will that come. And, will he be able to clean it all up in time to win one of these spots?

“We’ll see what happens.”

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... 98327.html
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:42 am

I want to see more from Jordan Roos and I'll bet we do going forward. I've seen enough of "Glow" to know what he is, a middling typical mediocre o-lineman. Ifedi continues to struggle which isn't a surprise after missing a very critical week of camp.

I think at this point we have to take a look at Pocic on that LT spot for a bit, keep LJ where he is, plug Roos in at RG and let Ifedi get 1 million reps at RT.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:43 am

We could go into Branden Albert, an accomplished, two-time Pro Bowl tackle -- who told Jacksonville he was retiring July 31, then got released after he let it be known that maybe he wants to continue playing, after all.

Signing him? At age 32. At a presumably steep cost Seattle has never shown under this regime they will pay for a free agent? Especially a semi-retired one?

Point is, there are reasons guys are available on the eve of the third preseason game, the usual final full dress rehearsal for the season that for Seattle is Friday at home against Kansas City. And none of those reasons are good.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:01 pm

Largent80 wrote:I want to see more from Jordan Roos and I'll bet we do going forward. I've seen enough of "Glow" to know what he is, a middling typical mediocre o-lineman. Ifedi continues to struggle which isn't a surprise after missing a very critical week of camp.

I think at this point we have to take a look at Pocic on that LT spot for a bit, keep LJ where he is, plug Roos in at RG and let Ifedi get 1 million reps at RT.

I'd be very interested in seeing how the kid would do at LT.
The hunch here is that he'd outperform anybody within 2 weeks, including Fant.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:42 am

Obs...

Yea, it's just frustrating. It just never seems to end.
But on top of it all, I just don't see Fant as a worthy candidate to begin with in terms of grooming for LT.
There's just no way he's been the best candidate out there to teach the most critical position up front.
I just don't buy it.
It's that stubbornness and insistence in sticking with a philosophy that at best is inconsistent.
The Silver lining with Fant's injury is that they can finally search for a more viable option.
There's other dead wood on the OL as well, no doubt. Britt and Pocic look to be the most promising of the entire group.
Infedi...eh, I dunno.
Lol. Looking forward to the day when we're at least decent up front. It's gonna be the same ol' menu from Tom and Darrell coming up. Hold your nose.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:10 am

The current state of the O-Line?

DOOM. Russell Wilson, in Virginia Mason, Torn ACL.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:21 am

Except for the terrible sack he gave up, Odhiambo seemed to play fairly well.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:51 am

Also Tobin and Pocic looked pretty good on the #2 line. Good things happened in the O-Line in this game.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:20 am

I thought they did pretty well, too and better than last year at this point.
Let's see if they got some momentum and can keep it going against the Raiders next week.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:35 am

I watched the Niner Vikes game last night and was struck by the Niners #1 D and O..Hope we don't forget game #2 while getting by GB! I think SF will do better or fairly well this season and maybe do a split with Sea. Just hope its not the game here.
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:05 pm

I did not think we had the left side solved at all. I had no faith in Fant. I won't until he proves himself, which is not going to happen this year. We have no other option but to keep tossing whoever we can out there until Pete finally holds Cable accountable for the O-line's problems and tries out a new coach.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:22 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:I did not think we had the left side solved at all. I had no faith in Fant. I won't until he proves himself, which is not going to happen this year. We have no other option but to keep tossing whoever we can out there until Pete finally holds Cable accountable for the O-line's problems and tries out a new coach.

Ever since Tom Cable thought that James Carpenter had what it takes to be an NFL offensive tackle, enough so that we burned a first round pick on him, I haven't been in his camp, and for the life of me, I can't understand why Pete keeps him around. The only player he's developed during his tenure here is Britt, and that was after unsuccessful attempts at two other positions before he finally hit the bulls eye, which is the impression I get with our OL talent procurement...throwing darts....blindfolded.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:05 pm

RiverDog wrote: The only player he's developed during his tenure here is Britt, and that was after unsuccessful attempts at two other positions before he finally hit the bulls eye, which is the impression I get with our OL talent procurement...throwing darts....blindfolded.

I would also put sweezy there. He's a solid starting Guard in the league and he was clearly developed by Cable. I know you can't put Fant there yet but I think he certainly was on the path to being an average starting LT. Breno was a practice squad player that developed into a RT worthy of a decent 2nd contract. Carp also developed from a crappy RT to a pro-bowl alternate RG (I know you might not count him because he was drafted to play RT, but he still developed into a starter in the league). Those aren't staggering but the results are better than one would expect from throwing darts, blindfolded...
mykc14
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:30 am

The OL is warmed over Dog food, and has been Dog food for 3 years now. There is no use in whining about it.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:17 am

mykc14 wrote:I would also put sweezy there. He's a solid starting Guard in the league and he was clearly developed by Cable. I know you can't put Fant there yet but I think he certainly was on the path to being an average starting LT. Breno was a practice squad player that developed into a RT worthy of a decent 2nd contract. Carp also developed from a crappy RT to a pro-bowl alternate RG (I know you might not count him because he was drafted to play RT, but he still developed into a starter in the league). Those aren't staggering but the results are better than one would expect from throwing darts, blindfolded...

Has Sweezy even appeared in a game with the Bucs? And what about Breno? He was so impressive that the Jets released him. If I were to be extremely generous, the best I could say about Cable's development of those two is that his results were very average. Neither one of them has lived up to the contract they signed when they left us.

And let's not forget about Carpenter's struggles at guard before he lost a bunch of weight and had his one good, contract year season. Prior to that, he got beat out by a journeyman OL by the name of Paul McQuistan (sp)and didn't even suit up for the NFCCG during our Lombardi season. And oh, yea, we didn't bring back McQuistan, either. He went on to flop with the Browns. One good, contract year-motivated season doesn't say much for a former #1 draft pick.

Cable is going on his 7th frigging year with us, and Britt is the first player of his that we've offered a 2nd contract to. One player in how many attempts? How many Bradley Sowell's and J' Marcus Webb's have there been since then? I stand by my dart throwing analogy.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:37 am

RiverDog wrote:
Has Sweezy even appeared in a game with the Bucs? And what about Breno? He was so impressive that the Jets released him. If I were to be extremely generous, the best I could say about Cable's development of those two is that his results were very average. Neither one of them has lived up to the contract they signed when they left us.

And let's not forget about Carpenter's struggles at guard before he lost a bunch of weight and had his one good, contract year season. Prior to that, he got beat out by a journeyman OL by the name of Paul McQuistan (sp)and didn't even suit up for the NFCCG during our Lombardi season. And oh, yea, we didn't bring back McQuistan, either. He went on to flop with the Browns. One good, contract year-motivated season doesn't say much for a former #1 draft pick.

Cable is going on his 7th frigging year with us, and Britt is the first player of his that we've offered a 2nd contract to. One player in how many attempts? How many Bradley Sowell's and J' Marcus Webb's have there been since then? I stand by my dart throwing analogy.

Using Sweezy's lack of playing any games has nothing to do with this discussion as he hasn't played because of injury, not poor performance. I didn't claim these players became All-Pro's but taking a practice squad player (Breno) and turning him into a RT worthy of a decent 2nd contract is clearly development no matter how he looked after he left here, because once he leaves here Cable can't development him anymore. Carps lack of motivation before his contract year speaks more to Carp than it does to Cable's ability to develop lineman, but he still took a player that was playing himself out of the league and developed him into a Pro-Bowl alternate RG who got a big 2nd contract. I don't know why you are using guys like Sowell and Webb, both were 1 year players who played like crap and were released. Are you implying that he should have turned them into starters? He's not going to develop everybody that comes through. why haven't we offered them 2nd contracts is the question. Is it because the FO didn't see them worthy of a 2nd contract? Did somebody else simply over-pay for the players? Is it a philosophical focus on keeping one of the best Defenses in football together, which ultimately means that they are going to have to go cheap on the offense somewhere and it's not going to be at QB or WR? Does our FO believe Cable is so good at developing OL that they are willing to let these guys go because they feel like Cable can turn crap into adequate?
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:52 am

Carpenter has played pretty well in NY for the Jets.
Last year according to Pro Football Focus, he was ranked the #17 Guard overall (#10 at pass blocking and 29 at run blocking).
He didn't allow a sack until the 11th game and was being touted for the Pro Bowl by NY media and some national writers.
Our best Guard, sadly, was Glowinski, ranked 63rd.
For reference sake, his Cap hits for 2015 and 2016 were $2,375,000 and $3,115,000 which isn't outlandish considering what starting Guards made.
Numbers according to Spotrac.
So why would he succeed elsewhere and not here? Were they trying to make him into a dancing bear with his size and the demands of the ZBS concepts?
I don't know the answer, but he's doing better in a different system.

Sweezy? I don't think he was much more than average at best here, and Cable thought he was a bad influence on Britt causing him to be too aggressive.
Let's see how he does in Tampa before we judge him.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum