Boykin WTF

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Boykin WTF

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:23 am

I've been a big fan but what the hell was that? He looked awful after looking like starter material throughout his time in Seattle .

Then Davis comes in and calmly leads the team for the clincher.
I'm sure trevon is still 2 on the depth chart but the last preseason game will be worth paying attention to.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Re: Boykin WTF

Postby Largent80 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:58 am

Trevon played like number 2, the brown kind.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:16 pm

He's a backup that has never seen real pressure play. I never assume a guy is good because he has some good preseason work as the backup. Gotta see how he does when it's live. Boykin has proven nothing.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:22 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:He's a backup that has never seen real pressure play. I never assume a guy is good because he has some good preseason work as the backup. Gotta see how he does when it's live. Boykin has proven nothing.

He had some extensive work in the last regular season game last year and looked pretty good...although considering the opponent (Niners) and the fact that our seeding was pretty much cast in cement by then, it was probably closer to a preseason game than it was a regular season one.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:05 pm

Kap is tanned, rested, and ready !!!!

LOL
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:49 am

Keep Boykin.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:01 am

Forget Kap. He would not have been happy unless he was the starter. One could ask though, did Russell Wilson need the competition of a CK trying to get his job?? Wilson hasn't had to earn his job since he was a rookie. I also have no doubt that Wilson would win ANY QB battle with CK or most anybody else in the NFL not named Brady or Rodgers.

I have been OK with sticking with TB as the #2 behind Wilson and it was nice to see that Austin Davis can do the job too if needed.

With CK, it was NEVER a "good fit" here in Seattle, despite what some members of the defense seem to believe. With both TB and AD a team isn't going to pay much and both would be good "team players".

With CK he is going to want more, a lot more than your average back up and he is going to chafe if he feels he isn't getting the chance he will feel he is entitled to. CK would also be a divisive player both in and out of the locker room, again, no matter what some members of the defense seem to believe. In fact, ever since he started doing his protest he has been a divisive force in every locker room whether in the Pros, college, or even high school.

I agree with Jim Brown, he needs to decide whether he is a football player or an activist. I sincerely remember JB waiting until he had retired from the NFL before he became a full time activist, though, he never hid the fact that he supported and believed in the Civil Rights Movement.

I can think of at least two NFL teams that could use CK in the worst way, the Browns and the Jags. Bortles??? Come on BORTLES??? Even the Jags owner said he would welcome a QB as good as CK has been in the past and probably could be again under better coaching.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:02 pm

We don't need Kap until Kap decides to take backup money. He wants a lot of money to play backup and wants a shot as starter. That's the real reason he doesn't have a job, not this protest rubbish the media likes to hype. He's had his shot at starter and been mediocre at best. He hasn't taken over a team and proved he can lead it without Jim Harbaugh.

And our backup method is cheap. Let the backups compete and learn. At the moment, I have no faith in either them and hope they don't see the field during the real games unless it's garbage time.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:45 pm

I've never read anywhere where Kaepernick has said he wants to be paid starter money.
I have read where he said he is willing to be a backup and compete for the starting job.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:41 pm

Never??

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... 0-million/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/coli ... -to-start/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... -1.3013172

Also articles saying these salary allegations are untrue:

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/co ... nds/359680

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -per-year/

Perhaps it is true, perhaps it is not, but to say you've never read where he's asked for starter money is a little strange given there was obviously talk of it. In general, it is very odd to me that not a single word has come out about either his salary demands or any offers that have been made. It is almost like the media and the NFL are loving the attention this is getting. The pundits on both sides of the line are having a field day with it. If it came out that he received offers for 1-2 million a year as a back up and he turned it down, that would throw a wet blanket over the perceived blackballing. The whole thing seems like a sham to me, and I wish someone would just hire him already and get this over with.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:30 pm

Those are rumors not verified by anyone close to him and I've heard them, but we hear a lot of things that aren't true.
One article said talks have not reached the point of discussing salary, so how do we know?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:57 pm

Kaepernick wanted more money. Even Pete implied this when they contacted him. He wants more than standard back up money and a chance to compete as the starter. It's what's holding things up for him or he would be signed. He's only worth backup money and his options will only grow worse the longer he sits out of the league.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:14 pm

We don't know either way. It could just as easily be that he really does want 8-10 million then the other articles came out calling it bunk just to not hurt his cause. That's why I wish something reliable would come out. The whole thing is a fecal matter exhibition.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:02 pm

I think Boykin is the back up going forward, Davis looked great but he was given the keys last year for the Rams and failed. How is going to be different when RW goes down this year, we need a quality back up.
obiken
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:49 am

NorthHawk wrote:Those are rumors not verified by anyone close to him and I've heard them, but we hear a lot of things that aren't true.
One article said talks have not reached the point of discussing salary, so how do we know?

He opted out of his contract in SF in which he was set to make 17 mil this year. Why would he do that if he really thought he would only get base pay/only backup $$$. He clearly thought somebody would pay him to be there starting QB this offseason. If you think you are going to be a back up anyway, why wouldn't you just take 17 mil to be a backup? If he just wanted to start where would he find a better opportunity than in SF? New coach no real competition? He obviously thought he was going to make more in the long run as a FA. He overestimated his value as a player...
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:57 am

Sometimes the situation is just untenable and he couldn't play for that management and owner.
It was a stupid financial move, but it doesn't mean he expects to get the same or more money.
He might think he has enough and just wants to play so he wants a fresh start.
I've known a lot of people who have left really good paying jobs (not close to NFL money of course) and taken less pay to be happier.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:31 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Sometimes the situation is just untenable and he couldn't play for that management and owner.
It was a stupid financial move, but it doesn't mean he expects to get the same or more money.
He might think he has enough and just wants to play so he wants a fresh start.
I've known a lot of people who have left really good paying jobs (not close to NFL money of course) and taken less pay to be happier.

It might be true that people would leave a bad situation for a better situation, but Kaep would be leaving 17 mil for a complete unknown. In other words I find it highly unlikely that if he thought he would be in his current position (without a team, hoping for a league minimum contract to be a backup) he would have ever opted out of his contract. There is no way you can convince me that he was so unhappy in San Fran (a team and organization that supported his actions last year, even giving him the teams courage award) that he would leave that much money and probably his best opportunity to start unless he thought he would get close to starter money and another opportunity to start. For some reason you are assuming that he wasn't gytobplay in San Fran but that was one of his best opportunities to start as he was the best QB on the roster...
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:38 pm

Who know what his motivations for leaving were. He may have a great balance sheet and is set for life so money isn't as much of a factor.
What we do know is he was almost on top of the world with Harbaugh and after he left, the team became seriously dysfunctional. That can sap the enthusiasm from anyone who is competitive and drive them out.
I was watching their game on the weekend and one of their OL was going to go elsewhere because of the last couple of years but was convinced to stay by the new regime. Kaepernick chose not to.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:56 am

LOL I see this has morphed into another Kap thread. Ok fine. Kap had no chance whatsoever of returning to the 9ers.They wanted nothing to do with him.
They apparently felt they would rather take their chances with Brian Hoyer and Matt Barkley.
The dude screwed the pooch when he sat on his ass and started a cancer around the league.
It was amplified when he wore Castro attire and complimented the educational system in Cuba. Talk about rich you have a guy protesting oppression who is a Castro lover.
What a moron. The rafts come north Einstein, not south you know?
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:46 pm

I agree Boykin should be playing the game of taking what the defense gives him and not try to be Russ 2.0. He's not there yet. If a strong run game can be established, hopefully, he'll never have to take the kind of shots Russ has to pull off a win. I'd say he makes the cut as the No. 2 QB. Austin Davis is what he is while Boykin has potential still to be realized.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:55 am

I see that I am not the only one who does not want to see CK in a Hawks uniform, for a variety of reasons.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:37 pm

Wow, this game boykin has looked terrible. He's not confident and second guessing himself. I understand making a mistake when you go for it and trust your instincts....But when you hesitate, and that causes the mistake, that's on the QB.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:52 pm

RW needs to tudor him better about throwing the ball away rather than into the other teams hands.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:10 am

Seahawks4Ever wrote:I see that I am not the only one who does not want to see CK in a Hawks uniform, for a variety of reasons.

Here's my Nightmare scenario: Our OL is dogfood, RW has a bad day. You have Sherman, Bennett, and a few others, who have never really been sold out to his leadership. The cry for CK would not be huge but it would grow; then CK comes in, makes a few good runs, maybe wins a big game, and then we have a real QB controversy. All due to the fact that some fans and players are to stupid to realize RW is the franchise.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:10 am

obiken wrote:[

Here's my Nightmare scenario: Our OL is dogfood, RW has a bad day. You have Sherman, Bennett, and a few others, who have never really been sold out to his leadership. The cry for CK would not be huge but it would grow; then CK comes in, makes a few good runs, maybe wins a big game, and then we have a real QB controversy. All due to the fact that some fans and players are to stupid to realize RW is the franchise.

Wake up Obi, its not a nightmare its a pipe dream. Barring devastating injury to Russ there is no way Kaep is playing here. Russ has had so many outstanding days #1 he's entitled to some bad days and #2 his track record is Brady esque, he's not ever going to have too many bad days.

Now if I was Boykin I might be worried. He's absolutely fallen off a cliff the last 2 weeks. If PC really is all about competition he has lost it. Long term I think he still may have a higher upside than Davis But Davis has been rock solid the last 2 games while Boykin has had some WTF moments like taking a sack on 4th down at the half and throwing up wild passes into triple coverage with guys wide open underneath in every instance. Its like he has morphed into Tavares Jackson in 2011.. :o :o :o
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:35 am

Waiting for Boykin to "develope" is really something we can't afford if RW goes down.

He was lights out vs. the Chargers and since then?????....Really, what happened?
Largent80
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:39 am

Wake up Obi, its not a nightmare its a pipe dream. Barring devastating injury to Russ there is no way Kaep is playing here. Russ has had so many outstanding days #1 he's entitled to some bad days and #2 his track record is Brady esque, he's not ever going to have too many bad days.

Now if I was Boykin I might be worried. He's absolutely fallen off a cliff the last 2 weeks. If PC really is all about competition he has lost it. Long term I think he still may have a higher upside than Davis But Davis has been rock solid the last 2 games while Boykin has had some WTF moments like taking a sack on 4th down at the half and throwing up wild passes into triple coverage with guys wide open underneath in every instance. Its like he has morphed into Tavares Jackson in 2011.. :o :o :o

I agree RW has earned a couple bad days bubba!
obiken
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:50 am

I can see why they want Boykin; his skill set matches more closely with RW's. But the preseason numbers between Boykin and Davis are:

(Comp., Att., Comp %, Yds, TD, Int.)

Boykin (30, 50, 60, 410, 2, 4)
Davis (24, 35, 68.6, 316, 2, 0)

Davis threw 15 fewer passes and completed 6 less than Boykin with no Int's. Yds/comp is 13.2 for Davis and 13.7 for Boykin. It is hard to ignore that Davis didn't turn the ball over. With Pete stressing winning the turnover battle and always protecting the ball, those 4 int's by Boykin would have me worried. That's not how you hold the fort down when your starter has to sit. They should probably go with Davis.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:36 am

Cut him. He will easily clear waivers. Stash him on the P.S.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Feez » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:53 pm

I absolutely disliked when we signed Davis having watched him this preseason though he is clearly the better option if god forbid Wilson misses any time. he is just smarter with the ball , he has in game experience and looks way more poised. Boykin has potential but he would need to learn while playing which this team isn't built for. we are built to win now. I would give us much better chances to win against a 1st string defense with Davis than I would with Boykin and his throwing into crowds to make something happen
Feez
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum