Pre-Season Games thoughts

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Pre-Season Games thoughts

Postby Largent80 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:41 am

First of all, I HATE the way the modern NFL does pre-season games. I think teams would be better off just doing scrimmages.

Secondly, INJURIES. We lost a really good player last night (Elliott) probably will be IR'd......and of course Fant.

Really, what was gained by those 4 games?

Thoughts?
Largent80
Legacy

Re: Pre-Season Games thoughts

Postby obiken » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:37 am

Agreed a 100%! Have 2 and expand the regular season to 18. Have 2 bye weeks.
obiken
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:26 am

I think they are invaluable for evaluating the new talent on the team, and the 3rd preseason game is the only one that sees significant PT from the known starters. It feels like you see more injuries just from training camp than you do in preseason games, so I don't know that they are the worst part of the offseason, and I don't know that scrimmages would lessen the likelihood of injury.

I'd be curious what the coaches and players have to say on it. Do they value the opportunity to "knock the rust off"? Do the coaches like having 4 games to evaluate their players?

It sucks that Elliot and even more so Fant went down, but I don't know a better way to get ready for the season than having live fire exercises. Maybe drop a game, and let your 2nd game be the starters dress rehearsal and the 3rd game your roster shake out.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:15 am

Players need to hit and tackle to get ready to play a season. I hear former players saying things like players today get hurt because the CBA doesn't allow enough contact, so games where they can work on their technique is essential.
I don't think opening up the CBA to allow more contact in TC is in the works, so pre-season games are a good benefit (not to mention the evaluation of new talent as MackStrongIsMyHero said).
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum