Kearse and 2nd/3rd for Sheldon Richardson

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Kearse and 2nd/3rd for Sheldon Richardson

Postby Stream Hawk » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:09 pm

Boom! No the source to show but it's all over Twitter and now the radio. He gave us some timeless moments. Now he gives us the best defensive line possible !
Last edited by Stream Hawk on Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Re: Kearse and 2nd/3rd for Sheldon Richardson

Postby Feez » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:15 pm

WOO! I can't believe they managed to get a deal worked when everyone and their mom should have known we were about to cut him most likely. exactly what our defense needed!
Feez
Legacy

Postby Oly » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:36 pm

FieldGulls has the story: https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/9/1/162 ... raft-picks

Apparently, the Hawks get Richardson and the Jets' 2018 7th rounder, the Jets get Kearse and both the Hawks' 2018 2nd rounder and 7th rounder.

And if the Hawks only end up renting Richardson for this next year, they'll probably be in line for a 2019 3rd round compensatory pick. The swap of 7ths is nearly meaningless.

So, basically, it's this:
Hawks: get 1 year of Richardson, swap the 2018 2nd rounder for a 2019 conditional 3rd, and replace Kearse with McEvoy (or whatever other bubble WR was going to be left out)
Jets: get Kearse, get rid of surplus DT talent that wasn't happy, and swap the 2019 conditional 3rd rounder for a 2018 2nd rounder.

Seems like a win-win to me.
Oly
Legacy

Postby Feez » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:43 pm

Oly wrote:Seems like a win-win to me.

Exactly, that is rare these days both teams got what they needed. I doubt they are done though. any thoughts on other potential trades? I can see either Lane (safe guess) or Rawls getting shopped before all is said and done.
Feez
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:45 pm

While I'm sad for Jermaine, this D-line of ours should be pretty sweet. I wonder what, if anything, this move means re: McDowell? I definitely don't expect him to suit up in 2017.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:52 pm

I guess that J Reed didn't live up to expectations...

Now we know where the 5m from Doug Baldwin went. Not to the LT position!
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:43 pm

Well there's our inside pass rush!

I was hoping we were making room for a LT, but I ain't gonna complain about getting Richardson!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:04 pm

I sure hope coming to a winning franchise puts he head on straight.
He can be a monster when motivated.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:21 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:I guess that J Reed didn't live up to expectations...

Now we know where the 5m from Doug Baldwin went. Not to the LT position!

A little early, even for guessing, don't you think? Reed has been a boon to the run defense and can get some pressure, and that was just his rookie year.

Sheldon Richardson just augments and improves an already impressive defensive front.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:17 pm

Dang. Aaron Rodgers does NOT approve..... :lol:
Largent80
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:32 pm

My take would be that if the team believed in Reed (and or our #1 pick) we wouldn't have done the trade, given up Kearse and a 2nd round pick and renegotiated Baldwins contract, which hamstrings the teams cap next year and the ability to resign Richardson... so this was a one year rental at the least. But, we also did Percy and others, so JS is certainly not afraid to make deals for All-Pros. I approve the trade -- The "D" on paper should be near the top of the league.

js
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:46 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I sure hope coming to a winning franchise puts he head on straight.

Why do you say this? What do you know about him that I don't?
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby Feez » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:59 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:My take would be that if the team believed in Reed (and or our #1 pick) we wouldn't have done the trade, given up Kearse and a 2nd round pick and renegotiated Baldwins contract, which hamstrings the teams cap next year and the ability to resign Richardson... so this was a one year rental at the least. But, we also did Percy and others, so JS is certainly not afraid to make deals for All-Pros. I approve the trade -- The "D" on paper should be near the top of the league.

js

Mcdowell will miss this season and may never be who they thought after his accident, this trade tells me they wanted to get something for Kearse before they had to cut him. IF Richardson leaves in FA we get a 3rd round pick compensatory so we got Richardson for a guy we were going to cut, paid a few mill extra for that one year and swapped a 2nd for a 3rd. the 2 swapped picks you can almost toss out since they are 7th round picks? this move means they can execute at the level they wanted to with McDowell. they tried to trade for Richardson once already before the accident so I think it was a win now move that doesn't hurt us as much as some think cap wise. they aren't done dealing I have a feeling so who know what gets worked before regular season kicks off
Feez
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:04 pm

Are you kidding me? Kearse pulls off another miracle. This time a trade. Even when he's traded, he pulls off a miracle trade.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:21 pm

Vegaseahawk wrote:NorthHawk"]I sure hope coming to a winning franchise puts he head on straight.

He was previously suspended and was thought to be the major disruptor in the Jets locker room
last year when it was obvious they were having trouble competing.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:27 pm

Vegaseahawk wrote:"I sure hope coming to a winning franchise puts he head on straight.
He can be a monster when motivated."

This:

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets defensive end Sheldon Richardson has been disciplined by the team for making a profanity-laced Snapchat video in the locker room two hours before losing to the Miami Dolphins last Saturday night.

Coach Todd Bowles, who called Richardson's actions "detrimental to the team," met Tuesday morning with Richardson. He refused to divulge details of the punishment, saying he wants to keep it in-house. Bowles, however, did say, "The discipline has been taken care of."

And before that, there was this:

Earlier in the season, he was benched for a quarter for violating team rules (late for a team meeting). He also has served two NFL suspensions -- a four-game marijuana violation at the start of the 2015 season and a one-game personal-conduct violation at the beginning of the current season.

The latter suspension stemmed from a July 2015 arrest in which he was clocked at 143 mph while trying to elude police in suburban St. Louis. He wound up pleading guilty to resisting arrest.

During that last incident where he was clocked at 143mph, he had as a passenger a 12 year old child and a loaded gun in the car.

Those are some pretty significant red flags. IMO there are times that Pete's ego is such that he thinks he can tame the hearts of savage beasts. This has the potential of being another Percy Harvin debacle.

But the difference in this trade is that we're not giving up all that much. We lose a 2nd round pick but could recoup part of that in the form of a 3rd round compensatory pick if Richardson leaves in 2019. Kearse was a dependable receiver, but he was not a game changer and we have a bit of a logjam at that position. WR's like Kearse are a dime a dozen. But Richardson is a Pro Bowler, and playing next to guys like Bennett and Avril, could have a monster season. This is a good risk.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:55 am

143 mph?
Didn't know he was that fast.

We have a decent history dealing with malcontents here, so I think we'll be ok.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:01 am

I know we need to enjoy having him for one year but he's in a contract year and will be getting paid next year,, and I'm not sure the Hawks can afford him. I guess a lot depends on this one year.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:12 am

Zorn76 wrote:143 mph?
Didn't know he was that fast.

We have a decent history dealing with malcontents here, so I think we'll be ok.

Yea, with that kind of speed, we should probably use him in our NASCAR package.

But I'm not too reassured with your last statement. Pete has this tendency to let the inmates run the asylum, and with several volatile personalities already on this team.....well, let's just leave it at that.

I do like this trade, though, as we're getting a proven Pro Bowler for the cost of what can only be described as a journeyman WR and a 2nd round draft pick. It also makes what was going to be a pretty tough decision at WR a little easier.

I'm excited to see Richardson lining up with Bennett and Avril. Look for QB's to be using a lot of 3 step drops against us. Now all we have to worry about defensively is finding somebody to step up and play that right CB position.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:41 am

I love this move. I am going to miss Kearse, he was en enigma but he did make some of the franchises most memorable plays.

He was also a class act. I feel bad for him; grew up near Seattle, went to UW, ended up on the Seahawks. Now he gets stuck on a crappy team.

Time for P Rich and Kasen Williams to step up.

But, you have to make this move if you are the Hawks. Richardson is a game changer and exactly what this defense was missing. Our lack of turnovers the last few seasons is directly connected to lack of consistent up the middle pressure. Remember Clinton McDonald during our SB championship season? He had 5.5 sacks from 3-tech. Interior pressure will create collapsing pockets, which will make QBs hurry reads and throws.

Boom, we get back to creating turnovers.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:17 am

His troubles aside, it is fun to guess at who on our D-linegets double-teamed and who doesn't. #sackdance
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:22 am

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:I love this move. I am going to miss Kearse, he was en enigma but he did make some of the franchises most memorable plays.

He was also a class act. I feel bad for him; grew up near Seattle, went to UW, ended up on the Seahawks. Now he gets stuck on a crappy team.

But, you have to make this move if you are the Hawks. Richardson is a game changer and exactly what this defense was missing. Our lack of turnovers the last few seasons is directly connected to lack of consistent up the middle pressure. Remember Clinton McDonald during our SB championship season? He had 5.5 sacks from 3-tech. Interior pressure will create collapsing pockets, which will make QBs hurry reads and throws.

Great point Irish! He helped us win the SB, I am not pushing him out the door but after last year its just time to move on. Welcome back BTW!
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:42 am

Hawk Sista wrote:His troubles aside, it is fun to guess at who on our D-linegets double-teamed and who doesn't. #sackdance

With Frank Clark really establishing himself, there will be a lot of concern with opposing OL's on every down.
I hope Clark's wrist is fully healed by next Sunday (makes me wonder if he hurt it on Ifedi's head).
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:18 pm

Great point Irish! He helped us win the SB, I am not pushing him out the door but after last year its just time to move on. Welcome back BTW!

Hey, Obi!
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:19 pm

That whole timeline doesn't make sense. I thought he "sprained his knee" which was why he magically came back when Ifedi did. When did the wrist thing happen?
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:03 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:That whole timeline doesn't make sense. I thought he "sprained his knee" which was why he magically came back when Ifedi did. When did the wrist thing happen?

It happened in the game vs KC.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:32 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:That whole timeline doesn't make sense. I thought he "sprained his knee" which was why he magically came back when Ifedi did. When did the wrist thing happen?

Hi Irish!!
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:52 pm

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:I love this move. I am going to miss Kearse, he was en enigma but he did make some of the franchises most memorable plays.

Yup. Kearse's catch in SB 49 might have made one of the all time SB highlights had we followed it up by punching it in, and he hauled in the winning TD pass in an epic come from behind overtime NFCCG earlier that season vs. the Packers.

But outside of that, Kearse was pretty ordinary and will be easy to forget. Personally, I'm hoping to see more of McEvoy. Perhaps he can be the big body type of WR we had in the form of Chris Mathews in that infamous SB 49. It would sure create some huge mismatches in the red zone to have him on one side of the field and Jimmy Graham on the other.

Anyhow, now that the preseason is over, I'm getting really excited for this season to start. I'll be in the crowd rooting our Hawks on at the not so frozen tundra a week from tomorrow. So look for a #12 Nike home blue with a white Seahawks lid, bill forward.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:52 am

[quote="RiverDog
Yup. Kearse's catch in SB 49 might have made one of the all time SB highlights had we followed it up by punching it in, and he hauled in the winning TD pass in an epic come from behind overtime NFCCG earlier that season vs. the Packers.

Yes RD that is true but in SB 49 he couldn't squeeze a pass that was perfectly thrown over his outside shoulder that would have put Seattle in field goal range late in the game. Granted Butler was hanging all over him but its big boy football.
And his GW grab in the 2015 NFC Title game on another perfect ball from Russ was only necessary because he was targeted on all 4 of Russ's picks. 2 were 100 percent on him as they were balls that bounced off his hands.
One was a 50/50 ball he should have tried to play DB on instead of watching the guy pick it off. One was all on Russ.

And therein lies the quandary of Kearse. It makes me sad because he was tough and a good locker room guy. Im somewhere between elated and uneasy about Richardson. Way too many red flags and a deal like this sort of enables him IMO. But there are a lot of adults in the room and for all the whining about Harvin Seattle won the SB that year and he had a HUGE impact on the game that is overlooked by too many people when assessing that carnage that was inflicted on the Donkey's. Those jet sweeps befuddled the Donks.And he added a one handed catch and the play that truly broke Denver's back with the incredible return to open the second half.

Hopefully we have a repeat and Richardson can earn his pay in one shining moment on the biggest stage like Harvin did.

But against the Pats....
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:37 am

Now, to go along with the still best secondary in the Legion of Boom, we have arguably the league's best front seven, there is no downside to this trade. Our defense should be epic!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:12 am

I was reading a comment from a NY reporter who said Richardson was immature but expected to take on a leadership role.
They went on to say here in Seattle he may just be able to play football and leave the other responsibilities to the senior players.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:20 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Now, to go along with the still best secondary in the Legion of Boom, we have arguably the league's best front seven, there is no downside to this trade. Our defense should be epic!

There's no downside yet. Let's hope that Richardson can keep his nose clean. But unlike the Harvin trade, I'm all in on this one. There have been times in the past couple of seasons that our pass rush virtually disappeared, and adding Richardson will really shake things up.

I still want to see how we're going to address the right CB position. As the saying goes, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and right now, that's the only remaining question mark on this defense.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby hoxgmp » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:10 pm

hoxgmp
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:22 pm

Well if it ain't a Hox sighting ...how you doin man?
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:24 pm

It is HOX. How are you doing?
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby hoxgmp » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:21 pm

Sista, Bob, Greg, Old, Obi, River et al,
Howdy gang! Nice to see all of you. Looking forward to the season!

Mom passed away. Have been taking care of her.

Really excited about the Sheldon Richardson trade. We need that push up the middle to make Rodgers a little uncomfortable. The NASCAR package should be back. Wanna see how Shaq does opposite Sherm. Garvin looks decent.

Not very sure about Ifedi but Cable should be able to get him going. Really like Carson, we got a gem in the 7th. Jimmy Graham could be a factor this season. We need someone else besides Baldwin. Maybe Bevell can work some magic with his play calling.
hoxgmp
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:07 pm

My Mom passed last month too Hox, condolences and commiseration bud.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:38 am

hoxgmp wrote:Sista, Bob, Greg, Old, Obi, River et al,
Howdy gang! Nice to see all of you. Looking forward to the season!

Mom passed away. Have been taking care of her.

Really excited about the Sheldon Richardson trade. We need that push up the middle to make Rodgers a little uncomfortable. The NASCAR package should be back. Wanna see how Shaq does opposite Sherm. Garvin looks decent.

Not very sure about Ifedi but Cable should be able to get him going. Really like Carson, we got a gem in the 7th. Jimmy Graham could be a factor this season. We need someone else besides Baldwin. Maybe Bevell can work some magic with his play calling.

Sorry to hear about your mom, hox. Been there, done that. I hope you stick around.

Love the Richardson deal. I'm hoping that part of the result will be McVoy getting some more PT, particularly in the red zone. Russell hasn't had a lot of big targets, and with Graham in the lineup, it should create some mismatches for him to take advantage of.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum