The Rifts Remain

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

The Rifts Remain

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:16 pm

Sherman and Earl (according to the NFL Radio channel) are fuming mad about Williams and Boykin getting cut. The sentiment seemed to have racial implications (Davis & McAvoy over Boykin & Williams). I have zero idea about the real story, but I do know that this being a topic in the national media makes me nervous.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Re: The Rifts Remain

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:24 pm

Davis flat outplayed Boykin so that doesn't fit the narrative.

McAvoy over Williams? I got nothin ...
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:45 pm

Williams can catch but doesn't like to block, and sucks at it. That's why he got cut. With Kearse getting traded (he was a GOOD and willing blocker) there is no place for a one dimensional player here.

Boykin had his chance and he BLEW it. Was the primary backup for a year, decided to hang out with people that used poor judgement and then he made poor judgement in games.

He had his chance. I don't give a rip about any racial BS being thrown around. These guys need to get a grip. What happened to being a brotherhood?

And what the hell is media doing????...what they do best, stir up S***. IGNORE IT.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:08 pm

I agree that Boykin was outplayed. He is a great athlete, but his off the field arrest(S) & me going... OMG, he's 0-7 against the #2's makes me nervous. Plus he may have a suspension coming. Absent knowing what's what, it feels like Sherm being Sherm and it getting made into a story. It's just that I have such high hopes for this team, this feels unwelcomed and undeeded, from here anyway. I really hope this is not a thing.

Bring on Green Bay & #gohawks
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:58 pm

Clearly this has racial implications. I mean the Hawks never keep African American QBs or WR... I mean besides their starting QB and top 3 WR... come on there is no way anybody could even start to believe this was racist in any way. PC as the Hawks coach has had an African American QB every year except 1. How many white WRs have played for him? Come on...
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:09 pm

You do realize that I'm not saying PC/JSare racist, right? I'm reporting what I heard others say on SIRIUS NFL. They seemed to think that some of the Seahawks players feel that way and that they (the players) are out of their lanes worrying about the other side of the ball let alone coaching and management. The segment (about 4:45 - 5 pm Cali time) was titled Seahawks Unhappy. Whether or not it's true, that there was this segment at all makes me unhappy.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:51 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:You do realize that I'm not saying PC/JSare racist, right? I'm reporting what I heard others say on SIRIUS NFL. They seemed to think that some of the Seahawks players feel that way and that they (the players) are out of their lanes worrying about the other side of the ball let alone coaching and management. The segment (about 4:45 - 5 pm Cali time) was titled Seahawks Unhappy. Whether or not it's true, that there was this segment at all makes me unhappy.

Yeah, I got that when you said the sentiment seemed to have racial implications. I wasn't pointing my remark to you, but instead to whoever was creating that sentiment (radio personality, sherm, whoever). I mean why is the view even there that it was down to Mcavoy or Williams, it easily could have come down to Darboh vs. Williams for that final WR roster spot. To me it's very frustrating that it race is even mentioned in this decision (not by you but be whoever created the sentiment). I also agree that it is a bit frustrating that Sherman or ET is making any negative statement about it anyway. I am sure RW didn't like it when his best friend on the team at the time, Turbin was released but we didn't hear anything about it from him. Every time somebody is released some teammates have to be upset, but we don't read about them making statements.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:14 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:Sherman and Earl (according to the NFL Radio channel) are fuming mad about Williams and Boykin getting cut. The sentiment seemed to have racial implications (Davis & McAvoy over Boykin & Williams). I have zero idea about the real story, but I do know that this being a topic in the national media makes me nervous.

I've tried every search and can't come up with anything more than Sherman saying that "There's no explanation for this" and indicating that he thought that Amara Darboh, who is black, should have been cut rather than Williams, found nothing about him being upset about Boykin being kept vs. Hill, and certainly nothing about any implication that he or anyone else in the locker room implied that race might have entered into Pete's decision making, which would be so absurd that I can't believe that it would enter anyone's mind. So could somebody please enlighten us by providing a link or direct quote?

Nevertheless, the fact that Richard Sherman is becoming an increasingly vocal pain in the ass makes me more than just nervous. He needs to STFU and worry about his own half acre.
Last edited by RiverDog on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:32 pm

The best I can do is tell you what I heard, where, & what time... see above. That's why I'm qualifying the hell out of it. Is it really an opinion on the team, or a wanna be peak radio personality making more out of a few tweets/comments based on the past & hoping to break a story. & im not trying to be an alarmist, either. I just want my team to kick GB's arse on the way to the playoffs. Anything that jeopardizes this irritates me/frustrates me.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:46 pm

Thanks for the info HS, the rift is real. However, Sherm needs to tone it down and do his job. I would have kept Williams, and dumped Boykin, but thats just me.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:54 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:The best I can do is tell you what I heard, where, & what time... see above. That's why I'm qualifying the hell out of it. Is it really an opinion on the team, or a wanna be peak radio personality making more out of a few tweets/comments based on the past & hoping to break a story. & im not trying to be an alarmist, either. I just want my team to kick GB's arse on the way to the playoffs. Anything that jeopardizes this irritates me/frustrates me.

You're not an alarmist, or at least you're not alone in being one. I'm as frustrated as you are. The fact that Sherman felt obligated to publically voice his displeasure over a management decision, whether or not the content you overhead is accurate, is very alarming to me. Coupled with his increasingly negative sideline behavior the past few seasons, the trade rumors about him this past spring, and now this, I am genuinely concerned that this locker room could be sitting on a powder keg just waiting for a 2 game losing streak. As you stated in your thread title, the rift between him and our brain trust is as big as ever.

And don't feel if you "have" to include a link or direct quote. I believe you. It's just that I was trying to flesh this story out and kept coming up with dead ends.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:34 am

I don't worry about this team. They won a Super Bowl with asshat Percy Harvin on the team...in a blowout. They're all professionals that do this as a livelihood. These stupid stories are grist in the newsmill to keep the population fed. Chemistry issues will not derail a team's season. Any team that uses this sorry excuse is just making excuses for being a bad team. Super Bowls are rare. Our chances of making it back and winning are better than some, but still exceedingly low. Even New England doesn't have a high percentage chance of repeating or getting back and it has nothing to do with chemistry issues.

It will come down to talent, injuries, and coaching with some occasional luck, just like every year. I never worry about this crap. Players produce because their reputations and paychecks are on the line if they don't and because every damn one of them is competitive and likes to win. Some of them may chirp like Sherm, but he's been doing that since he arrived. Not sure why people even notice it any more. The man likes to express himself. Why should he stop? It's a part of him, just like playing corner at level few see. I'm glad they report what Sherm says. It means he so good that people care what he says. I'll worry more when no one listens to Sherm speaking out any more. That will mean he's no longer good enough to care what he tweets or says. That's a much bigger worry.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:51 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:I don't worry about this team. They won a Super Bowl with asshat Percy Harvin on the team...in a blowout. They're all professionals that do this as a livelihood. These stupid stories are grist in the newsmill to keep the population fed. Chemistry issues will not derail a team's season. Any team that uses this sorry excuse is just making excuses for being a bad team. Super Bowls are rare. Our chances of making it back and winning are better than some, but still exceedingly low. Even New England doesn't have a high percentage chance of repeating or getting back and it has nothing to do with chemistry issues.

It will come down to talent, injuries, and coaching with some occasional luck, just like every year. I never worry about this crap. Players produce because their reputations and paychecks are on the line if they don't and because every damn one of them is competitive and likes to win. Some of them may chirp like Sherm, but he's been doing that since he arrived. Not sure why people even notice it any more. The man likes to express himself. Why should he stop? It's a part of him, just like playing corner at level few see. I'm glad they report what Sherm says. It means he so good that people care what he says. I'll worry more when no one listens to Sherm speaking out any more. That will mean he's no longer good enough to care what he tweets or says. That's a much bigger worry.

How would you like to be in Darboh's shoes, with one of the team leaders publicly ranting about your making the team? It's the pinnacle of his athletic careers at this point in his life and this jerk is making him feel unwelcome when he should be extending a congratulatory handshake. That's how locker room divisions start, because other players will sympathize with Darboh's plight while others will agree with Sherman and start taking sides.

Sherman hasn't been fighting with management since he arrived, at least not publically. It's a relatively recent phenomena that started after we lost SB 49. Before that, his rants were directed at opponents like Michael Crabtree or Trent Williams. One can only imagine what must be going through the minds of our brain trust. They were clearly unhappy with Sherman's behavior or else they wouldn't have attempted to trade him and now, despite Sherman's obvious recognition that his rants are causing his bosses considerable consternation, he hasn't wasted a second and explodes over a relatively minor issue before the season has started.

Keep in mind that Harvin was traded, in mid season after a slow start. I don't want the same thing to happen to Sherman.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:02 am

Sherman knows he's on the backside of his career so he's acting like a backside.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Feez » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:05 am

as Mad as they could be and I say that because I think the media likes to blow things waaay out of proportion and create more drama than there is. Sherm and Earl have to know Davis is the much better option at back up. McEvoy over Williams or Lawler I have no answer for. but I don't for one second believe they think there are any racial reasons behind these moves, they drafted Wilson and started him over Flynn who they paid a decent amount to sign IF "they" were racist in the moves to pick Davis over Boykin then we would never have had Wilson as our starter
Feez
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:54 am

I think we've all said something at one time or another when we look at it we've realized it was either stupid or was presented poorly and could be taken the wrong way.
Sherman talks a lot so the chances of that happening are more than for some of the others.
We won't be talking about this in 2 weeks.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:59 am

NorthHawk wrote:I think we've all said something at one time or another when we look at it we've realized it was either stupid or was presented poorly and could be taken the wrong way.
Sherman talks a lot so the chances of that happening are more than for some of the others.
We won't be talking about this in 2 weeks.

We won't be talking about this if we're winning. If we're 0-2 in two weeks, you can be damn well sure that this will be a topic of discussion under the heading "What's wrong with the Seahawks?" And if Sherman goes ballistic over something as relatively minor as a player or two that didn't make the team, just think what he'd say if we start out 0-2.

Winning cures all evils. Losing exposes them.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:01 am

If we ar 0-2, that means we will have lost to the niners at home. And that, my friends....would be a disaster!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:15 am

Its about time the Seahawks fire PC and JS for this sort of bonehead deal!!!

After 6 seasons we all can see what a total failure they have been making decisions and keeping the Hawks in the basement.

LOL
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:02 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:If we ar 0-2, that means we will have lost to the niners at home. And that, my friends....would be a disaster!

Relax everybody, we will be fine. It will come down to AZ anyway.
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:11 pm

We won't be talking about this if we're winning. If we're 0-2 in two weeks, you can be damn well sure that this will be a topic of discussion under the heading "What's wrong with the Seahawks?" And if Sherman goes ballistic over something as relatively minor as a player or two that didn't make the team, just think what he'd say if we start out 0-2.

Winning cures all evils. Losing exposes them.

I think if we are 0-2 there will be bigger problems that players will be discussing like schemes and individual performances if not the Offense again.
That's the elephant in the room. Can the Offense actually contribute to wins instead of relying on the Defense to set them up for field goals?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Seahawkfan80 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:05 pm

I think like most people here, that it is not racial..it is performance. One out performed the other and the writing was on the wall. We got Boykin back on the practice squad and Williams went to Cleveland where I hope he is part of the rebuild of that team to battle their division. We shall see in the coming couple of years. Be happy we have a great team. I think 13-3.
Seahawkfan80
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:30 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:If we ar 0-2, that means we will have lost to the niners at home. And that, my friends....would be a disaster!

If that happens, it won't be chemistry issues that will be the problem. Losing to Frisco at home when they are in the state they are in would mean we suck.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:50 pm

And, welcome to my point, boys.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:13 am

Caught this today. I didn't have time to read all the posts, so this might be 'old news' but here's PC's reasoning on the moves of the last week.

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/football/article/Why-did-the-Seahawks-cut-Kasen-Williams-12172542.php

On Richard's using his f'n Twitter (which is turning out to be one of the worst possible uses of the 'new' world order) it really shows a lack of character on his part. Maybe someday he'll be a coach/GM and have to make this type of decisions and he can see that it's not all black and white... I've done HR hiring and firing for years and I hate to do it for one person for any reason and I can't imagine what they go through the week before the cut downs.

The whole 'race' issue in the locker room keeps popping it's ugly head up. From "Russell's not 'black' enough, to the constant talk from Marshawn's camp about the team 'management' telling the Coach (with 1 minute to go in the Super Bowl, no less) to make sure that Marshawn wasn't the MVP... and that's why we passed the ball instead of handing it off to him and now all this nonsense that the team (that's 80+ black) would deliberately keep a couple of 'white boys' and cut better black players... oh, my! And this is all coming from the PLAYERS, not the media. Maybe someday one of the players will come forward and explain it to all the old white men (like me) what this really means.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:32 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:If that happens (losing at home to the Niners in Week 2), it won't be chemistry issues that will be the problem. Losing to Frisco at home when they are in the state they are in would mean we suck.

I said 0-2 not realizing that our 2nd game of the year was at home against the Niners. I was looking for a scenario that would conjure up a controversy. Perhaps I should have said something like an ugly loss or two. My point was that if Richard Sherman goes ballistic over a roster decision before the season even gets started, just think what he'll do when we go through even the tiniest bit of adversity.

I honestly don't know what's gotten into Sherman over these past few years. When he first joined our team, I was uncomfortable with his brand of sportsmanship, but had grown to like him mainly because I had learned of his background, saw some of his interviews, and was swayed by that infectious smile of his. He seemed to be a team first guy that knew his role and played it well. Remember his apology the day after the Crabtree rant, when while sitting next to Pete, said that he was wrong for calling attention to himself rather than highlighting what the team had just accomplished? He seemed to me to be a highly intelligent team first individual, and my opinion of him did a 180.

But that's all changed. Now he's this angry, intolerant, divisive character that quite frankly, has seen his play on the field slip just a bit, especially when Earl wasn't there to cover his ass. Although I'm not quite there yet, I'm getting to the point where I am leaning towards advocating that we part ways with him.

We'll see what happens when the season gets underway. Hopefully we'll start out strong and all this stuff will fade into obscurity.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:16 am

I know, RD. So much can get lost in translation in text.

RE: Richard - I've been a fan too. Some of his early rants were a little uncomfortable for me, but I grew to like the edge he brought to the team. I think he has continued to improve as a player - I have not seen a regression in him. He is w/o a doubt the best tackling CB in the league, IMO - which is something he's worked very hard to become. Earl getting hurt just showed how critical Earl is to this team. I still think Sherm played hard and at a very high level, but there was just no denying that ET is the QB & MVP of the D. Sherm has been asked to do more in the last few years as other key people have been injured and he seems less perfect, but I'd argue he continues to improve his play.

Richard prides himself on his intellect, and he should. But there are lots of ways to be smart & demonstrate intelligence. One was is to stay off twitter about what your bosses are doing and do what you can to get the most out of your peers. Pete said in an interview once (after being asked about how he addresses pre-snap penalties during the game) that it takes a lot of discipline to be in that moment and do/say what will help the team be better moving forward. Yelling at a player isn't what works.

It feels to me that Richard is desperate to win another/more SB(s) and when things don't go as he thinks they should, he simply has to lay blame on others publicly. Whether yelling at Bevel on the sidelines, losing his mind over busted coverage, being a dick to Jim Moore (& threatening his job + NEVER being able to apologize), or tweeting about who gets cut. It's seemingly very Richard-centric and demonstrates a lesser emotional IQ. He can communicate each of his concerns in an appropriate setting if he weren't so emotional. When he does it for all to see, he looks worse to me than the dude who made the (perceived) mistake(s) in the 1st place. His pre-season attitude seemed so much improved over his antics last season and in the off-season that I thought he grew up a bit. Maybe he has, but it doesn't feel that way to me right now. I guess we shall see. I'm sure pulling for him.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:44 am

This is what happens when the coach and the commissioner of the league start letting the inmates run the asylum.

Any suggestion of racist motives by PC are ridiculous. Would a racist bench his prized free agent white QB who he had invested millions in for a rookie 3rd rounder black midget? LOL.

Oh that's right Russ isn't "black enough" right?
Sherman needs to STFU and play...
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Feez » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:24 am

Hawk Sista wrote:I know, RD. So much can get lost in translation in text.

RE: Richard - I've been a fan too. Some of his early rants were a little uncomfortable for me, but I grew to like the edge he brought to the team. I think he has continued to improve as a player - I have not seen a regression in him. He is w/o a doubt the best tackling CB in the league, IMO - which is something he's worked very hard to become. Earl getting hurt just showed how critical Earl is to this team. I still think Sherm played hard and at a very high level, but there was just no denying that ET is the QB & MVP of the D. Sherm has been asked to do more in the last few years as other key people have been injured and he seems less perfect, but I'd argue he continues to improve his play.

Richard prides himself on his intellect, and he should. But there are lots of ways to be smart & demonstrate intelligence. One was is to stay off twitter about what your bosses are doing and do what you can to get the most out of your peers. Pete said in an interview once (after being asked about how he addresses pre-snap penalties during the game) that it takes a lot of discipline to be in that moment and do/say what will help the team be better moving forward. Yelling at a player isn't what works.

It feels to me that Richard is desperate to win another/more SB(s) and when things don't go as he thinks they should, he simply has to lay blame on others publicly. Whether yelling at Bevel on the sidelines, losing his mind over busted coverage, being a dick to Jim Moore (& threatening his job + NEVER being able to apologize), or tweeting about who gets cut. It's seemingly very Richard-centric and demonstrates a lesser emotional IQ. He can communicate each of his concerns in an appropriate setting if he weren't so emotional. When he does it for all to see, he looks worse to me than the dude who made the (perceived) mistake(s) in the 1st place. His pre-season attitude seemed so much improved over his antics last season and in the off-season that I thought he grew up a bit. Maybe he has, but it doesn't feel that way to me right now. I guess we shall see. I'm sure pulling for him.

Well said this sums up most of the issue for me except I have moved from one of his bigger fans to not much of a fan of his at all. I personally think when Earl and Kam went down due to injury last season he felt exposed as less than the player he was seen as before and it did a number on him psychologically. he absolutely blames everyone other than himself for the team's failures in the last couple seasons. I too saw his attitude on the sidelines in preseason as a hopeful trend but his stupid twitter rant ended that idea. I can see him becoming a locker room issue, I see this as his last season in Seattle with or without his asshattery from last season. honestly he is a smart guy and I think he sees his window of winning another ring closing with this team. not so much that the window for this team is closing as quickly as it is with him on the roster
Feez
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:29 am

I think it's simpler than that.
I think he believes he's always the smartest person in the room and combined with great confidence required of being a pro athlete and moreso at CB, he spouts off.
Right or wrong.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:34 am

Rifts remain to people who thrive on media bullshit. Really, Deal with it. Williams couldn't block, he's gone after 3 years in the system. If the vets have a problem with it, their time is ticking. Sherm is on the backside of his career as is Earl. Obviously, they feel THIS is their last chance for ring #2....So go get it Sherm and Earl. Just do what you do.

Whatever dudes, just play ball and shut UP.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:09 pm

In fairness to Earl & Sherm, what I heard on Sirius NFL has not been repeated elsewhere that I can see. I have nEver seen anything from Earl and just the few tweets from Sheen are the only pices of evidence to be found. I hope it's all a blowout over nothing. I was typing as I was listening on Sunday.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:13 am

We're not media darlings, we're villains, and so it's just the usual stuff from media hacks.

I do think it's only this yr and next to have a legit shot at winning another SB r with this group.
Some cornerstone pieces are aging.

I also think it's Richardson for just one year here. He's young, but the asking price long term would likely be prohibitive.
He's a great addition for now, though, so I'm pleased.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:20 am

Hawk Sista wrote:Whether yelling at Bevel on the sidelines, losing his mind over busted coverage, being a dick to Jim Moore (& threatening his job + NEVER being able to apologize), or tweeting about who gets cut. It's seemingly very Richard-centric and demonstrates a lesser emotional IQ. He can communicate each of his concerns in an appropriate setting if he weren't so emotional. When he does it for all to see, he looks worse to me than the dude who made the (perceived) mistake(s) in the 1st place. His pre-season attitude seemed so much improved over his antics last season and in the off-season that I thought he grew up a bit. Maybe he has, but it doesn't feel that way to me right now. I guess we shall see. I'm sure pulling for him.

His rant at Jim Moore, threatening him with his job, was one of the primary things that caused my emotional pendulum to start swinging back to my first impression of him years ago. That was not simply an emotional outburst brought on in a tense, game situation like yelling at Bevell or a teammate. It was a press conference, and not even a post game presser where emotions can still run high.

I'm pulling for him because he's still a Seahawk, but my faith in him as a person has diminished. He's turned into this Bobby Knight/Billy Martin type of character, a self centered attention grabbing A-hole. He has some work to do if he wants to win me back over to his side.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum