Game 2: Pre-Game Thoughts

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Game 2: Pre-Game Thoughts

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:12 am

Good morning, fanatics.

I think we have ourselves a very interesting match-up today. The coaching staff this week did a lot of damage control after the offensive week 1 offense performance. They seem to all be preaching the, "it was the first game" thing.

Well, we shall see. The 49ers offense will likely struggle to score today, but I hope people are not overlooking their defense. They have two 6'7" guys (Armstead and Buckner) on the D line. Does Bevell have a game plan ready to account for that? I think I know the answer. :)

Hopefully, Bevell dusted off some of his playbook this week. Read option, draws, counters, screens, getting Prosise involved in the passing game, rollouts, quick throws...

Keep in mind, the 49ers played us very tough the last time we faced off. We barely won. We catch a break with their rookie linebacker Foster being out. He is going to be a damn good player.

Home opener in C LInk. Hopefully, the 12s are ready to bring it. I still miss the pre-Super Bowl winning crowds who brought a lot more energy and sustained noise. It is still a loud place, but not the same. Way too many bandwagoners onboard now. You can see them, they are the ones sitting down and looking at their cell phones while we are on defense.

I expect to see our offense struggle a great deal. I think the collective offense (players and coaches) are suffering an identity crisis. I wrote about that this week in my column, if you care to read it: http://lastwordonprofootball.com/2017/09/13/seattle-seahawks-identity-crisis/

It is nice to have Rawls back, hopefully he makes it through the game without a boo boo.

I have all the confidence in our defense to dominate today. You stop Hyde and pressure Hoyer, and they will be neutered. Keep an eye on the WR Goodwin, he has a lot of speed.

I am seeing a 16-6 kind of game today.

Getting the discussion rolling. Love to see your thoughts...
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Re: Game 2: Pre-Game Thoughts

Postby idhawkman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:39 am

Watching today will tell you everything you need to know about Bevell. I expect to see RW have 2-3 passes knocked down at the LOS by those big guys in the first half and then see him in a moving pocket the second half. That's Bevell's M.O. He doesn't game plan anything until halftime. Most frustrating thing I've experienced. It's like he doesn't think the same team they play twice a year will do the same things twice.

I think the interior oline play will suck like it did last week and that we don't run any screens other than that crap bubble screen Bevell likes so much. No use of our TE's splitting the seams and that's about it. Oh, and a lot of long routes for our WRs and RW missing the outlet receivers again this week.

Pretty much sums it up.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:44 am

Good morning, everyone!

I'm not sure how much of a barometer last year's regular season finale is. We were already locked into a playoff spot, so it was basically a glorified preseason game for us, and the Niners were under a different head coach with a different starting quarterback. There's a lot of unfamiliarity on both sides of the field.

As a rule, opposing quarterbacks have a difficult time on their first trip to the Clink and against the LOB, and this afternoon should be no different. Hoyer has ran a couple laps around the track so it's not as if they're starting a rookie, but the Niners offense is still searching for an identity, and I doubt that they'll find it on the road against what still has to be considered the best and most imposing defenses in all of football. This could be our first shutout.

On offense, I simply don't see a lot of hope for this rag tag offensive line of ours. Having Rawls back might make a difference but I still don't see us gaining more than 75 rushing yards less a broken play or a Russell Wilson scramble. As much trouble as our offensive line had last week, I'd look for more two tight end sets, and keeping one them in to block on passing plays. As long as our offense doesn't do something to put our defense in a bad spot, such as Russell's fumble inside the 10 last week, I think we'll get barely enough offense to eek out a win.

Barely into the double digits for us, not so for the Niners. This is going to be an ugly game.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:45 am

idhawkman wrote:Watching today will tell you everything you need to know about Bevell. I expect to see RW have 2-3 passes knocked down at the LOS by those big guys in the first half and then see him in a moving pocket the second half. That's Bevell's M.O. He doesn't game plan anything until halftime. Most frustrating thing I've experienced. It's like he doesn't think the same team they play twice a year will do the same things twice.

I think the interior oline play will suck like it did last week and that we don't run any screens other than that crap bubble screen Bevell likes so much. No use of our TE's splitting the seams and that's about it. Oh, and a lot of long routes for our WRs and RW missing the outlet receivers again this week.

Pretty much sums it up.

Wow, Idahawkman! Welcome to the Shack, old friend!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:50 am

idhawkman wrote:Watching today will tell you everything you need to know about Bevell. I expect to see RW have 2-3 passes knocked down at the LOS by those big guys in the first half and then see him in a moving pocket the second half. That's Bevell's M.O. He doesn't game plan anything until halftime. Most frustrating thing I've experienced. It's like he doesn't think the same team they play twice a year will do the same things twice.

Pretty much sums it up.

Awesome to see you post here...

Lol, I am glad someone shares my pessimism!

Exactly right. I am going to punch something if I see 7-step drops again.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:00 am

Defense saves our bacon and Seattle squeaks by 4-3. Bevfool/Cable squirm on the hot seat.......
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:04 am

I fully expect Bev's Bubble Screen to be picked off for 6 one of these days. Look ripe for such.

Off Subject Did enjoy the Texas USC game last night but Texas let USC drive the length of the field at the end to tie it
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:06 am

Bevell is West coast offense. The first 15 plays are scripted. I SO want to stop doing that. But it appears that we are stuck in the 80s.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:22 am

Largent80 wrote:Bevell is West coast offense. The first 15 plays are scripted. I SO want to stop doing that. But it appears that we are stuck in the 80s.

The script is designed to identify how the defense is going to strategize. The problem is, if every play is a clunker you have to know when to throw it out and adjust.

My biggest complaint with Bevell is it takes him too long to adjust. Stop waiting for halftime.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:33 am

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:
Awesome to see you post here...

Lol, I am glad someone shares my pessimism!

Exactly right. I am going to punch something if I see 7-step drops again.

Too many times I see RW being sacked and the WRs haven't even come out of their breaks yet. So either the WRs are too slow getting into their routes, the routes are too long or RW isn't anticipating them being open and throwing to the spot where the WR will be.

I could also blame the OL but when you know that you don't have the OL to give enough time to the QB, you modify the scheme. I'm not even a HS coach and I know that much. Since OL are so hard to come by in the NFL, other teams have successfully modified their game plans to accomodate for this factor. Why in the Heck can't we?

BTW, I completed my new man cave this past spring and will be watching from my hot tub or dry sauna. Beer tube is ready for filling come closer to game time. I don't have a waterproof tablet or computer so I won't be posting during the game. (I had to put up the tarps to cut down on the glare on the t.v.)
Attachments
idhawk-man-cave.jpg
idhawk-man-cave.jpg (220.76 KiB) Viewed 904 times
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:46 am

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:
The script is designed to identify how the defense is going to strategize. The problem is, if every play is a clunker you have to know when to throw it out and adjust.

My biggest complaint with Bevell is it takes him too long to adjust. Stop waiting for halftime.

God forbid they actually look at the game film of our opponent's previous week games and the experiences of last year's games against them to put together an idea of what they are going to do or how to exploit the weakness of the opponent that other teams have found.

What a concept!!!
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:48 am

The problem with scripting the first 15 plays is with us it's 5 possessions wasted.
We need variety where the opposing Defense doesn't know what to expect. Some new wrinkles, maybe but for gods sake change the game plan. Even a little.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:50 am

idhawkman wrote:God forbid they actually look at the game film of our opponent's previous week games and the experiences of last year's games against them to put together an idea of what they are going to do or how to exploit the weakness of the opponent that other teams have found.

What a concept!!!

Holmgren was a huge proponent of the script. Its a WCO staple and something Bill Walsh advocated.

Film doesn't show how a team is going to play YOU, just how they played other teams.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:50 am

NorthHawk wrote:The problem with scripting the first 15 plays is with us it's 5 possessions wasted.
We need variety where the opposing Defense doesn't know what to expect. Some new wrinkles, maybe but for gods sake change the game plan. Even a little.

Lol yep.

Creativity is not in out offense.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:51 am

NorthHawk wrote:The problem with scripting the first 15 plays is with us it's 5 possessions wasted.

When you look at it that way, I guess it does take till half to make adjustments... :o
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:30 am

IG; Dust off his playbook: You are assuming his playbook is larger than the very thin one we have seen for years. Believe me, he don't have any more plays, he is like Sark, in love with the bubble screen.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Seahawkfan80 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:04 am

You mean this playbook???
Attachments
Bevsplaybook.JPG
Bevsplaybook.JPG (65.33 KiB) Viewed 887 times
Seahawkfan80
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:23 pm

Eddie Lacy is inactive today. Didn't see him on the injury report, but his debut wasn't exactly impressive. Just curious what the coaches are thinking.

As for the game itself, I became much less optimistic about the o-line after last season, and that lack of optimism hasn't been assuaged since watching last week's game. They have to show out at home this week. Tennessee and LAR will be licking their chops if the o-line struggles again.

And I on aboard about the play calling and in-game adjustments. Bevell knows how to run an offense; we've seen him do it, but he's got to start adjusting earlier!
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:06 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:Eddie Lacy is inactive today. Didn't see him on the injury report, but his debut wasn't exactly impressive. Just curious what the coaches are thinking.

As for the game itself, I became much less optimistic about the o-line after last season, and that lack of optimism hasn't been assuaged since watching last week's game. They have to show out at home this week. Tennessee and LAR will be licking their chops if the o-line struggles again.

And I on aboard about the play calling and in-game adjustments. Bevell knows how to run an offense; we've seen him do it, but he's got to start adjusting earlier!

Rawls was activated this week, so Lacy appears to be the odd man out.

And the OL will struggle again today. I have the Ten and LAR games chalked up as losses, regardless of how good or bad we look today.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:29 pm

idhawkman wrote:Too many times I see RW being sacked and the WRs haven't even come out of their breaks yet. So either the WRs are too slow getting into their routes, the routes are too long or RW isn't anticipating them being open and throwing to the spot where the WR will be.

I could also blame the OL but when you know that you don't have the OL to give enough time to the QB, you modify the scheme. I'm not even a HS coach and I know that much. Since OL are so hard to come by in the NFL, other teams have successfully modified their game plans to accomodate for this factor. Why in the Heck can't we?

BTW, I completed my new man cave this past spring and will be watching from my hot tub or dry sauna. Beer tube is ready for filling come closer to game time. I don't have a waterproof tablet or computer so I won't be posting during the game. (I had to put up the tarps to cut down on the glare on the t.v.)

You watch the games in some of the best places. You know how to enjoy game time.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:31 pm

We'll know more after this game. If we have problems with the 49ers, maybe I'l hop on the hair-pulling bandwagon. I know for certain I'm tired of Bevell and Cable and the excuses for their continued inability to get the offense (especially the O-line) going consistently.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:50 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:We'll know more after this game. If we have problems with the 49ers, maybe I'l hop on the hair-pulling bandwagon. I know for certain I'm tired of Bevell and Cable and the excuses for their continued inability to get the offense (especially the O-line) going consistently.

Better get your ticket now. 6-6 halftime score. Six straight quarters w/o a TD to start the season. Is that some sort of club record?
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum