Lacy Inactive

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Lacy Inactive

Postby Largent80 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:35 pm

This is different. Maybe because Rawls is ready to explode, or Lacy binged on Big Macs?
Largent80
Legacy

Re: Lacy Inactive

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:53 pm

Pretty disappointing.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:25 pm

Wasting more cash on players that don't have the drive to be great.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:29 pm

Nobodys on the O-Line and Lacy, reasons why John Schneider needs to be FIRED. He can't make a deal unless in is with Green Bay, the team he REALLY wants to work for...
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:39 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:Nobodys on the O-Line and Lacy, reasons why John Schneider needs to be FIRED. He can't make a deal unless in is with Green Bay, the team he REALLY wants to work for...

Booooooo...
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Feez » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:59 am

I think they gave Lacy too many Carries vs GB. Carson is clearly the best option we have at RB. I was hoping before the season started we would shop Rawls or Prosise, let Carson take the majority of the snaps keep Lacy for short yardage conversions or move him to FB and keep Prosise for passing plays and occasional carries. I like Rawls when he is healthy problem is he can't stay healthy. we trade him now and our value goes way down compared to what it might have been getting a deal done before week 1
Feez
Legacy

Postby trents » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:16 am

Rawls is a darting type of runner who makes yards by stopping on a dime and changing directions in traffic. This puts a lot of stress on the ankles which is what he is having a problem with. Carson looks like the real deal and seems to be a humble, well-grounded young man who won't cause dissent in the locker room. So as not to be misunderstood, Rawls has that same character but his ankles are problematic.

But speaking of Lacy being inactive, I don't get why he was not in pads if he wasn't injured. He could have suited up in case he was needed due to injuries to the other backs. I don't think I've ever seen that before, a player being on the inactive list but still able to play.
trents
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:09 am

trents wrote:
But speaking of Lacy being inactive, I don't get why he was not in pads if he wasn't injured. He could have suited up in case he was needed due to injuries to the other backs. I don't think I've ever seen that before, a player being on the inactive list but still able to play.

Each team has 53 players on their active roster, but only 46 can suit up. If everybody is healthy you will have 7 healthy scratches for those games. Each week healthy players are inactive and don't suit up. It is very telling that he wasn't suited up, especially the way Carson is playing. Unless lacy starts playing FB he may not be suiting up for awhile, unless somebody gets hurt.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby trents » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:17 am

Lacy will not be effective unless holes for him are created between the tackles for him to run north and south. And our O line doesn't seem to be able to do that. Our running game with the present O line will only be effective when gaps are being created and exploited through lateral movement of the backs and the line.
trents
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:26 am

Yah, people used to compare him to Lynch, but Lynch can make the first guy miss behind the LoS. He did so last week just like he did here, but Lacy doesn't have that ability.
He needs to get rolling before he can become like Lynch and move the pile.
Carson is more elusive, but also has some power, but not like either Lacy or Lynch however, like said above he's a better fit at this time with our OL.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby trents » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:47 am

"Each team has 53 players on their active roster, but only 46 can suit up. If everybody is healthy you will have 7 healthy scratches for those games. Each week healthy players are inactive and don't suit up. It is very telling that he wasn't suited up, especially the way Carson is playing. Unless lacy starts playing FB he may not be suiting up for awhile, unless somebody gets hurt."

Thanks for the explanation, mykc14.
trents
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:10 pm

trents wrote:"Each team has 53 players on their active roster, but only 46 can suit up. If everybody is healthy you will have 7 healthy scratches for those games. Each week healthy players are inactive and don't suit up. It is very telling that he wasn't suited up, especially the way Carson is playing. Unless lacy starts playing FB he may not be suiting up for awhile, unless somebody gets hurt."

Thanks for the explanation, mykc14.

No problem...
mykc14
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:45 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:Nobodys on the O-Line and Lacy, reasons why John Schneider needs to be FIRED. He can't make a deal unless in is with Green Bay, the team he REALLY wants to work for...

WHAT THE EFF are you talking about? I seem to remember him doing a great deal for a DL and getting rid of Kearse that was with NYJ. Also with the Bills to bring in another DB. Are you familiar with the Seahawks?
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:26 pm

I'm gonna be real curious to see how many carries Lacy gets, if any.
If he goes without, it wouldn't surprise me to see him cut.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:49 pm

Zorn76 wrote:I'm gonna be real curious to see how many carries Lacy gets, if any.
If he goes without, it wouldn't surprise me to see him cut.

He needs blocking just like the rest of the them.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:30 am

NorthHawk wrote:Yah, people used to compare him to Lynch, but Lynch can make the first guy miss behind the LoS. He did so last week just like he did here, but Lacy doesn't have that ability.
He needs to get rolling before he can become like Lynch and move the pile.
Carson is more elusive, but also has some power, but not like either Lacy or Lynch however, like said above he's a better fit at this time with our OL.

Good observation. Lynch also has a wider running stance, which allows him more lateral movement, particularly at the first level.

I think the emergence of Chris Carson spells the end for Eddie Lacy. Rawls better get his act together, too, or else he's going to see his PT dwindle.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:40 am

I'm pretty sure that Pete wanted to get Rawls some work in to see how he would respond and also send a double message that this team is about competing for your job each and every week. I guess that doesn't say much for Aboushi with the horrid play of Blow-inski.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:10 am

Pete says there will be some changes on Offense.
He didn't state if it would be scheme or personnel, but maybe Aboushi instead of Glowinski?

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... S_seahawks
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Oh yeah, just because JS occasionally makes a deal with another team doesn't mean the bulk of the deals he has made is with GB. JS wants the top job in Packerville so bad he would probably give up his left nut for it.

But the reason I have turned on JS is that he is the one who is behind the penny pinching on the O-Line. I am flabbergasted that some in here blame Tom Cable when he has worked miracles with what he has been given to work with.

OK Pete and John have proven over and over that a team doesn't have to use high draft picks on O-Lineman, Cable can develop them as long as they have certain physical attributes and are willing to both work and learn.

BUT! When it is time to PAY that Lineman it is Schneider, with the blessing of Carroll, who lets the guy go.

Last year a very SMUG Pete Carroll talked to reporters (and Seahawk fans) as if they (and us) are complete idiots when they asked him why they kept letting O-Lineman go instead of offering them a second contract, something most of us have discussed in this very forum. But Pete decided to talk down to them(and US) by ignoring what the question was and said that the O-Line had a lot of young inexperienced players and paying them more wasn't going to make them play any better, be patient he said. NOBODY asked why he wasn't paying a rookie more money in order for him to "play better", we were asking him WHY HE WON"T PAY VETERAN LINEMEN THAT HIS OWN COACHING STAFF DEVELOPED MORE MONEY VIA A SECOND CONTRACT!!!

Now, we ALL know that our O-Line was a disaster last season and is again THIS season and I don't see why more so called fans want to give Pete and John a pass in this regard.

Jumping Jehosophat, ALL of our team's problems revolve around inadequacy of the O-Line. There is NO getting around that. No use blaming Tom Cable, blame the man at the top, Pete Carroll. Between his love affair of Bevell and penny pinching the O-Line is what is keeping us from getting back to the Super Bowl and winning it. How can anyone deny this?? I am starting to think there are a bunch of Pollyanna's in here.

There have been lots of Super Bowl winning coaches that eventually wore out their welcome, usually leaving said team in a shambles. Brian Billick coached the Ravens to a SB win, but, a few years later let go. Mike Shannahan coached the Broncos to 2 SB's yet had to be booted out the door. Tom Flores coached the Raiders to a few SB wins, yet, down the road he went Do you really believe Mike Holmgren had a choice? No, it was retire or be fired. Tom Landry was a GOD in Dallas, but he too had to be fired, and he too left a former great team in a shambles. Don Shula, Chuck Knoll also were considered Gods in their town yet were either fired or forced into retirement. Need I go on???????????????/

How long should Paul Allen wait? The hand writing is on the wall, Pete has maxed out here in Seattle and needs to either make changes in how he operates (neglecting the O-Line, refusing to fire an idiotic OC) or Pete needs to go down the road, PERIOD.

OK, if you all don't want me to be a Debbie-Downer anymore, I won't. BUT! I will say I TOLD YOU SO if I turn out to be correct.

Nobody believed me (in the P-I Forum) when I said my brother lived in a Condo on Lk. Wash. in Kirkland right next door to Mike Holmgren. I tried to tell many of you back then that Holmgren's head and heart had not been 100% in the game since the loss in XL. His wife had told my Sister in Law while they were both walking their dogs that Mike had planned on retiring right after XL if we had won. When we lost, especially the way we lost it took all of the wind out of his sails.

I don't have no "inside" info regarding Pete, I only know what I see and what I see is a fatal flaw in the way Pete and John are running this team.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:29 pm

Jeezus, I think we are blessed to have JS personally. If you want to b**** about o linemen, b**** at colleges that run air raid and spread offenses instead of pro programs. They are the culprits, hell, even high schools do that now. So the breeding ground for OL talent is a thing of the past.

Get used to it.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:09 pm

Overreaction much? The o-line is bad, yes, but I still hear this talk of spending more on the o-line, but no one talks about who they'd let go if they actually did spend the money on the o-line. So who's it going to be? Bennett? Chancellor? Sherman? Thomas? Avril? Wagner? Wright? Baldwin? Wilson? Save Wilson, it would take two of those guys to be gone for the o-line to get the kind of attention you are asking for. They have do draft and develop players; that sucks but that's the only way while most of the cap is devoted to defense. Perhaps they are wrong, but JS and PC would rather draft dynamic talent like Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett over and o-lineman. Those type of players have rarer attributes, so you get them when you have to. Let's not forget, as tired as it sounds, this flawed system has missed the playoffs only once in Carroll's tenure.

The Seahawks are 1-1. The Superbowl is still very much on the table. I'll be ready to shut it down if the Seahawks disqualify themselves from the playoffs before the regular season is over. Until that happens, I'll continue to look for improvement in the offense and expect them to be competitive moving forward as they always have since JS and PC came on board.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:38 am

"I am flabbergasted that some in here blame Tom Cable when he has worked miracles with what he has been given to work with." - S4E

With all due respect...
Absolutely, positively, not true.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:03 am

How ridiculous it is to blame JS only. He has a whole draft squad including Pete Carroll and all the other position players along with scouting reports from the organizations scouts. The scouts tell the coaches what is available out there for talent and ranks them accordingly. Then the list is hashed over by PC and JS to see if there is talent in the draft or in FA to see if they can replace a player on our squad that will free up cap money to go after the new talent.

To think that JS is doing what other GMs do and making decisions without Pete's personal input is ridiculous on its face. The team we have is a colaboration of both Pete and John. If you get rid of one the other will fail IMO.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:59 pm

"I am flabbergasted that some in here blame Tom Cable when he has worked miracles with what he has been given to work with." - S4E[/i]

That's some serious horsecrap. That could only have been written by someone that has completely ignored Tom Cable in interviews saying he has input in the draft and a strong say in picking the O-lineman he wants. It is his philosophy including his belief that currently O-line college prospects are poorly trained driving how the Seahawks draft and develop talent. Whoever wrote that isn't paying attention.

I'm flabbergasted that a Seahawk fan isn't aware just how much Cable's O-line thinking and talent assessment abilities has put us in our current situation.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:10 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:"I am flabbergasted that some in here blame Tom Cable when he has worked miracles with what he has been given to work with." - S4E[/i]

That's some serious horsecrap. That could only have been written by someone that has completely ignored Tom Cable in interviews saying he has input in the draft and a strong say in picking the O-lineman he wants. It is his philosophy including his belief that currently O-line college prospects are poorly trained driving how the Seahawks draft and develop talent. Whoever wrote that isn't paying attention.

I'm flabbergasted that a Seahawk fan isn't aware just how much Cable's O-line thinking and talent assessment abilities has put us in our current situation.

What you SHOULD be flabbergasted at is your inability to listen to almost EVERYONE that knows that college is NOT producing NFL caliber O-Lineman as they did in the past. It has been pointed out for several years now but some just poo-poo what is being said. Most that poo-poo it know jack effing squat about o-line developement or draft choices.

Get a GRIP. High schools and colleges are NOT RUNNING PRO PROGRAMS IN THEIR OFFENSES. THEREFORE O-LINEMEN DO NOT COME INTO THE DRAFT WITH THE TOOLS TO BE GOOD LINEMEN IN THE NFL.

Does that help?

If not then listen to this informative podcast.

https://soundcloud.com/seaside-chats/30 ... 2-seahawks
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:05 pm

Largent80 wrote:That's some serious horsecrap. That could only have been written by someone that has completely ignored Tom Cable in interviews saying he has input in the draft and a strong say in picking the O-lineman he wants. It is his philosophy including his belief that currently O-line college prospects are poorly trained driving how the Seahawks draft and develop talent. Whoever wrote that isn't paying attention.

What you SHOULD be flabbergasted at is your inability to listen to almost EVERYONE that knows that college is NOT producing NFL caliber O-Lineman as they did in the past. It has been pointed out for several years now but some just poo-poo what is being said. Most that poo-poo it know jack effing squat about o-line developement or draft choices.

Get a GRIP. High schools and colleges are NOT RUNNING PRO PROGRAMS IN THEIR OFFENSES. THEREFORE O-LINEMEN DO NOT COME INTO THE DRAFT WITH THE TOOLS TO BE GOOD LINEMEN IN THE NFL.

Does that help?

If not then listen to this informative podcast.

https://soundcloud.com/seaside-chats/30 ... 2-seahawks[/quote]

I've already heard that crap. Yet other teams are having less trouble choosing and developing O-line prospects. Let's just say I don't believe the current narrative. I think some teams are bad at choosing and developing O-line.

How about i don't agree with those pundits. I think them, with Cable being a part of that thinking, are making an excuse for their failure to assess and develop talent.

Cable is at fault for these failures. Just like a player that fails to perform, he needs to go. Pete's philosophy is "Always Compete" and "Best performer wins the job." That needs to apply to the coaching. He needs to start pushing these coaches to perform better or be fired.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:46 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:"I am flabbergasted that some in here blame Tom Cable when he has worked miracles with what he has been given to work with." - S4E[/i]

Tom Cable has been given a whole heck of a lot of authority under Pete. The simple fact that Pete, long ago, named him the assistant head coach should tell you the degree with which Pete holds Cable. Make no mistake, Cable has a lot of input on our personnel acquisitions.

And it's not as if he hasn't been given anything to work with. Granted, he hasn't been given a whole heck of a lot in free agency, but he has been given a number of top draft picks (Carpenter and Ifedi were #1 picks, Britt and Pocic were #2's, Odhiambo and Pocic were #3's) to work with over the years, and only this season have we produced an offensive lineman that we felt was worth a 2nd contract (Britt), and even that was only after Cable had to try him at three different positions. Some of his moves, like Carpenter and Britt at tackle, have been flaming busts of experiments that didn't last more than a season.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:18 am

RiverDog wrote:
Tom Cable has been given a whole heck of a lot of authority under Pete. The simple fact that Pete, long ago, named him the assistant head coach should tell you the degree with which Pete holds Cable. Make no mistake, Cable has a lot of input on our personnel acquisitions.

And it's not as if he hasn't been given anything to work with. Granted, he hasn't been given a whole heck of a lot in free agency, but he has been given a number of top draft picks (Carpenter and Ifedi were #1 picks, Britt and Pocic were #2's, Odhiambo and Pocic were #3's) to work with over the years, and only this season have we produced an offensive lineman that we felt was worth a 2nd contract (Britt), and even that was only after Cable had to try him at three different positions. Some of his moves, like Carpenter and Britt at tackle, have been flaming busts of experiments that didn't last more than a season.

I get what you are trying to say here but you have to be fair. God forbid me defending Cable but in your argument we drafted Pocic twice. #2 and #3 round picks.

Also, Odhiambo, Pocic, Ifedi and Britt are all still on the team and I am not in favor of signing Rees, Pocic or Ifedi to a second contract just yet. Actually, they can't even sign them for a year or two anyways when their initial contract time is expired.

Carpenter was a loss. He didn't light it up in our system in his first year and a half but once he started, we ran behind him a LOT. I lovd watching him crush defenders on rush plays. Especially at the end of games. I don't think he ever really "got it" in the ZBS scheme and probably why Cable let him go. So to be fair, I think your argument is more of a Collandar than anything else. That doesn't mean there aren't other arguments against Cable that will hold water.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:18 am

I'm still beating the drum about our blocking scheme, so bear with me.
And there's a 50/50 chance (some might say more) that I'm talking out my butt, however this is how I see it.

So let's step back a little and look at the OLinemen scenario and how we fit in it.

What we know:

League wide
There are poorly trained OL coming from College.
The OL players in College are less athletic than than their DL counterparts.
Therefor the possibility of getting a starting caliber OL is slim and teams, not just Seattle are trying to convert DL to OL.
There is not enough practice time in pads to effectively teach and correct techniques.

Specifically Seattle
We run a ZBS Hybrid blocking scheme (elements of both a ZBS and Drive Blocking). It is said to be complex in design.
The players have to be quick enough for a ZBS and powerful enough for Drive Blocking to be successful.
Cable has players learn 2 positions in TC and practice.

Disconnect between what is available and what Cable wants to do:
With a shallow talent pool of good OLinemen we look for players that can fit 2 types of blocking schemes.
This limits the potential players even more, making the talent pool even smaller.
The players we select or sign as UFA's have to learn not only 2 types of blocking requirements, but 2 positions as well as what is required
to play in the NFL as a Pro.

Results:
What we've seen the last couple of years with young OL seemingly overwhelmed at times along with slow starts to the season.

What can we do to limit problems:
Simplify the blocking scheme so the learning curve is smaller and technique corrections are simpler. It has the potential of increasing the pool of OL candidates.
Let the players learn 1 position before learning another.
Add versatility along the line with Free Agents who already know how to play 1 position or as our own OL mature and master one position.

One thing is certain. Something has to change if the Offense is to consistently contribute.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:52 am

After reading this, I hope they don't make Lacy inactive.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/ ... gle-weight
Largent80
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum