musings from the SF game

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

musings from the SF game

Postby Anthony » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:07 pm

so having wacthed it and rewatching some plays here are my musings

oline still bad, really bad
drops are a problem, cost us 2 tds at least today and 1 last week
play calling is bad
play design is really bad
Graham is not adding anything-cant or wont block, and had dropped at least 2 first downs.
Rw missed a couple, was hit, hurried or sacked way over 50% of his dropp backs, combined with drops way to much to over come, and yet he did
RW running was great
Carson should start period
Defense outstanding
ST really goo as well.

Once again we prove utempo is the answer, butb once again we only do it a couple of times
Glow sucks major

thats all
Anthony
Legacy

Re: musings from the SF game

Postby idhawkman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:22 pm

I was watching pretty close and the only Olineman that looked decent today was the backup in Odhiambo. He did a good job. Joke-l and Britt and Glowinski on the other hand kind of sucked big time today.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:09 pm

At least we made a touchdown. We need a good FA for the for the OL. The defense was great as always.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:11 pm

politicalfootball wrote:At least we made a touchdown. We need a good FA for the for the OL. The defense was great as always.

Thats fine PF but its the 9ers, imagine IF it was the Rams??!! I agree we have to do more up tempo.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:17 pm

Russell played well in the 4th Q but otherwise was below average. Yes, there were drops, but there were overthrown and under thrown balls for the other 3/4s.

The D was good. Chris Carson continues to impress. We didn't lose. That's about it.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:51 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:Russell played well in the 4th Q but otherwise was below average. Yes, there were drops, but there were overthrown and under thrown balls for the other 3/4s.

The D was good. Chris Carson continues to impress. We didn't lose. That's about it.

Hauschka isn't the only PK to wear blue and green and miss XP's.

We're gonna get killed in Tennessee next week.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:58 pm

You never know River, but our Offense has to improve. We have to start going up tempo early, and its not because I am a Duck alum! :)
obiken
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:09 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:Russell played well in the 4th Q but otherwise was below average. Yes, there were drops, but there were overthrown and under thrown balls for the other 3/4s.

I agree on a few 3 to be exact bad throws but 5 drops make a huge difference especially when 2 were tds. Imagine his line is now 28 for 39 252 yards and 3 tds, complt % over 70 and qb rating well over 100 and everyone is like he had a good game. Despite being hurried, sacked or hit on over 50% of his drop backs. Every QB has a couple of throws every game that is not great, that is something some seem to not understand very well. Again I agree he had a few 3 to be exact but when you getting harassed like he is, with no real run game and your WR are not only not getting open but dropping passes yeah not a recipe for good, Hence why he started running, cant trust the oline, cant trust the wr or play call or design so do it your self. It worked... this time.

Fyi that is between 7-9 drops( reason 7-9 is 2 today that hit our guys in their hands or went through their hands but were still tough catches) in the past 2 games to go along with the league-high 44+% hit. hurried or sacked rate.

and once again are only TD scoring drive brought to you by the up tempo.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:47 pm

Anthony... we like RW too. But you simply kill any chance of a reasonable discussion with always blaming others MORE. WE ALL AGREE that the line sux right now and we saw the drops, too. Hell, there was a sniper on the Roof and was kinda thinking Paul Allen put him up there to take out Bevel. It's not a good offense right now and there is plenty of blame to go around. Pete, Tom, Bevel, the line, RW, the drops, the lack of commitment to o-line investment in general (JS, I guess) etc.... But if RW wants to be regarded as top tier talent...if you want to regard him with the Brady, Rogers elite, he quite simply cannot overshoot open dudes and skip easy competitions off the turf for 1st downs. If you just acknowledge that w/o having to ALWAYS add the "but," we'd all respect your take a little more.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:44 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:Anthony... we like RW too. But you simply kill any chance of a reasonable discussion with always blaming others MORE. WE ALL AGREE that the line sux right now and we saw the drops, too. Hell, there was a sniper on the Roof and was kinda thinking Paul Allen put him up there to take out Bevel. It's not a good offense right now and there is plenty of blame to go around. Pete, Tom, Bevel, the line, RW, the drops, the lack of commitment to o-line investment in general (JS, I guess) etc.... But if RW wants to be regarded as top tier talent...if you want to regard him with the Brady, Rogers elite, he quite simply cannot overshoot open dudes and skip easy competitions off the turf for 1st downs. If you just acknowledge that w/o having to ALWAYS add the "but," we'd all respect your take a little more.

So I am guessing you missed the part where I said "I agree on a few 3 to be exact bad throws " and " Again I agree he had a few 3 to be exact" That's okay it happens. You also missed the FACT that every QB misses a couple almost every game, Heck tonight both Rodgers and Brady missed a few and they are in your list, there is a reason no one ever has a 100% complt % and part of it is misses. IT happens,

Let me put it in perspective for you as it relates to my problem with this. Below is a list of issues with our offense in no order. IF you think our QB is in the top 3 then please keep talking and prove it to me. However, I and anyone who watches can plainly see he is not so why not deal with the bigger issue and see if fixing them fixes the little issues. Another way if you have a disease with 5 symptoms and 3 will kill you, 1 will make you unable to walk, and 1 is just a runny nose, why would you worry about a runny nose? Yes, Rw is a runny nose here.

oline
rb
wr
te
play calling
play design
QB
Anthony
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:46 pm

He threw 2 near interceptions so according to you he only threw 1 other bad pass all game.
I think his total was probably more like 4 or 5 in the first half alone. It sure seemed like it as he wasn't having his best game as a whole.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:57 am

some days i'm just sooo happy that we didn't get the Seahawks feed out here on our Fox network. Even the NFL Red zone only had a few plays, including the winning drive and touchdown. From what I saw, we won!
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:49 am

I'm in the middle on the Russ thing. Anthony is somewhat giving Russ a free pass. He wasn't very good yesterday although he was far better than week one .

But my great fear is that the biggest chronic problem with this team is why he is beginning to make uncharacteristic mistakes on seemingly pitch and catch throws.

Russ is hearing footsteps and expecting contact every play. Can you blame him? His passing has been ordinary at best arm wise and he's been taking off and running more than ever. Then he drops one right on a reciever and they can't squeeze it.

But the dude is under duress almost every drop back it seems. This putrid O line and offensive scheme is ruining the best QBin the history of the franchise.

It's a damn shame.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:15 am

NorthHawk wrote:He threw 2 near interceptions so according to you he only threw 1 other bad pass all game.
I think his total was probably more like 4 or 5 in the first half alone. It sure seemed like it as he wasn't having his best game as a whole.

Some things never change, and one of them is that Anthony will forever make excuses for Russell's sub par play, which is why he was announcing every dropped pass during the game thread. He was laying the ground work for his excuse making.

Russell has been off this season, first against the Packers and now against the Niners. It seems to me that most of the time when he misses, he's missing high and long. I guess that's a good thing as under thrown passes are more likely to get picked off than over thrown ones, but I'm wondering if he's getting a bit paranoid of having his passes knocked down and is trying to compensate by putting a higher trajectory on the ball, hence his overthrows.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:35 am

Hawktawk wrote:I'm in the middle on the Russ thing. Anthony is somewhat giving Russ a free pass. He wasn't very good yesterday although he was far better than week one .

But my great fear is that the biggest chronic problem with this team is why he is beginning to make uncharacteristic mistakes on seemingly pitch and catch throws.

Russ is hearing footsteps and expecting contact every play. Can you blame him? His passing has been ordinary at best arm wise and he's been taking off and running more than ever. Then he drops one right on a reciever and they can't squeeze it.

But the dude is under duress almost every drop back it seems. This putrid O line and offensive scheme is ruining the best QBin the history of the franchise.

It's a damn shame.

I'm not sure how much better his passing was vs. Week 1. Thanks mainly to our defense that with an exception of Hyde breaking off a couple long runs completely shut down the Niners and an improved running game of our own, we ran 79 plays yesterday vs. just 48 against the Pack, and we had the ball for nearly 38 minutes yesterday vs. less than 21 last week. That's a huge disparity. Russell had a lot more opportunities yesterday. And as North Hawk mentioned, he dodged a few bullets or else it could have been really ugly.

Russell didn't cause us to lose the game like he did last week with that fumble inside our own 10 and he did lead us on a scoring drive to win the game yesterday and yes, he's had some drops and his protection sucked like it did last week, but IMO his play was only marginally better if at all. It's hard to be kept out of the end zone for 7 1/2 quarters to start the season and not have your QB playing below par.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:23 am

Hawktawk wrote:I'm in the middle on the Russ thing. Anthony is somewhat giving Russ a free pass. He wasn't very good yesterday although he was far better than week one .

It's a damn shame.

I don't think this is a mystery at all. RW said it himself the first couple years in the league. "Separation is in the preparation." His family life has a bigger role in his daily routine than his first couple years.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:27 am

RiverDog wrote:
Some things never change, and one of them is that Anthony will forever make excuses for Russell's sub par play, which is why he was announcing every dropped pass during the game thread. He was laying the ground work for his excuse making.

Russell has been off this season, first against the Packers and now against the Niners. It seems to me that most of the time when he misses, he's missing high and long. I guess that's a good thing as under thrown passes are more likely to get picked off than over thrown ones, but I'm wondering if he's getting a bit paranoid of having his passes knocked down and is trying to compensate by putting a higher trajectory on the ball, hence his overthrows.

This season? Its been a few seasons now. I don't mind the high and long as much as I do the under throws. If you look back the last couple years, underthrows result in star players being seriously hurt. e.g. JG, TL. Both were underthrows that got them seriously hurt.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:32 am

We can have that debate too. Russ did his normal grueling offseason training and appears to be in excellent shape. I'm not sure what having a family life has to do with accuracy. There aren't the stories about being at VMac at 5 am anymore etc or any FB posts about no time for sleep to be sure.it is what it is.

Looks more like a bit of David Carr syndrome.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:44 am

Hawktawk wrote:Looks more like a bit of David Carr syndrome.

That's my fear, too. It's a normal human reaction, a conditioned response, after he's been subjected to the constant pressure he's had to endure for what's now the third season of nearly an unmitigated pass rush to look for where the next threat is coming from rather than keeping your eyes downfield. Russell's accuracy has slipped recently. You didn't used to see him miss like he has. Whether it's because of this 'David Carr syndrome' or something else is going on, ie a lack of preparation or concentration, is anyone's guess, but it's almost beyond question that he's hit a performance plateau. He's no longer being talked about as a Top 5 quarterback.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:52 am

Hawktawk wrote:We can have that debate too. Russ did his normal grueling offseason training and appears to be in excellent shape. I'm not sure what having a family life has to do with accuracy. There aren't the stories about being at VMac at 5 am anymore etc or any FB posts about no time for sleep to be sure.it is what it is.

Looks more like a bit of David Carr syndrome.

LOL - off season preparation is different than game preparation during game week. Studying a specific opponent and their tendancies and weaknesses is much different preparation than off season conditioning.

And being off with the receivers is more on Pete Carroll than anyone. Keeping the Tyler Locketts, PRich, DB, and Jimmy Grahams in "treatment" instead of being on the field working on timing is what hurts this QB - WR timing. Keeping our starters on the bench in preseason hurts their game prepartion also.

Think back about our preseason games. What did our STARTING offense show you in any of the preseason games? Not much if you are being honest. If it wasn't for the depth of the team with 90 players, we wouldn't have won those 4 games. "IF" we are being honest.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:45 am

Not much to add, except for a couple things I haven't seen mentioned:

1. The sack at about the 5 minute mark of 1Q was 100% Russell's fault, and I *think* there may have been another.

2. There was a 'QB hit' on RW that should have been flagged- it was close, but the defender saw the ball leave then took 2 steps and planted his face in RW's back (then planted RW). It was a clear "I'm not going to get this close on a free run to the blind-side just to pull up!" and they *never* let blatant shots like that go anymore. Whistle-swallowing like that doesn't help a QB with PTSD.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:58 am

burrrton wrote:Not much to add, except for a couple things I haven't seen mentioned:

1. The sack at about the 5 minute mark of 1Q was 100% Russell's fault, and I *think* there may have been another.

2. There was a 'QB hit' on RW that should have been flagged- it was close, but the defender saw the ball leave then took 2 steps and planted his face in RW's back (then planted RW). It was a clear "I'm not going to get this close on a free run to the blind-side just to pull up!" and they *never* let blatant shots like that go anymore. Whistle-swallowing like that doesn't help a QB with PTSD.

Im not sure were at PTSD stage yet but getting there :oops: :oops: :geek:
Completely agree on running himself into a couple of sacks and especially the hit in the back. I was screaming bloody murder. As for high vs low passes Russ usually misses high and wide and there are times his receivers bail him out, particularly Baldwin.

But the worst throw of his career and I think we know which one was a high and wide miss of the target although technically a catchable ball....
Hawktawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum