Question For Those That Have Played The Game

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Question For Those That Have Played The Game

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:36 am

It's been a long time since I've strapped on a helmet and a lot of things about the game has changed. Additionally, I never played at a very high level, a large high school and one year on the bench at a small college is the extent of my playing experience.

But one thing that has constantly been a wonder for me is how many players get called for blocks in the back, particularly on kick returns. It's not that difficult. You make sure that your head is in front of the defender before you throw the block. I've also been coached that when the ball carrier has gone past you, do not throw any block at all, impede a defender if you must and pursue the play in case there's a fumble or the ball carrier suddenly changes direction, but don't throw a block when you're trailing a play.

This has been a frustration of mine for decades. Are coaches not emphasizing this enough? Are players so eager to get a 'pancake' block and on the highlight reel that they disregard their common sense? It happens with such regularity that there has to be a root cause.

Am I missing something?
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Question For Those That Have Played The Game

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:47 am

I think when players get to the show they feel like its better to ask for forgiveness than permission. They all bend the rules to the breaking point and hope they get away with it. The reward of breaking a long pass, run or return outweighs the potential flag.

My most memorable block in the back when I was playing 40 years ago was at Lions field in Moses lake. The Coulee City Rams of which I was a member were playing the Colton Wildcats for a chance to compete in the state championship. Colton had perfected the wishbone to the point of averaging something like 65 or 70 points a game and had 3 guys who could run the 100 in 10 seconds running it.

They were heavily favored. They took the opening kickoff and scored on a pitch from 80 out the first play from scrimmage. We went 3 and out and punted. They proceeded to score on the second play from scrimmage from about 70 out. Only problem was Jimmy Evans our QB and safety got clipped, he was 5 yards behind the runner and losing ground.

After the senseless penalty the Rams got them off the field and proceeded to grind them into the turf, running the ball down their throat and punishing the QB every down whether he pitched it, handed it off or tried to carry it.
Final score was 40 to 20 Rams. The following weekend in the last title game played in the apple bowl in Wenatchee we put a cherry on top with a 26-12 win over the Brewster bears for the first state title in the history of the school. I have no doubt the penalty changed the outcome of the game and the season. We were glad to take it so its definitely a double edged sword.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby trents » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:54 am

I just think they get caught up in the action and take mind out of gear.

What's more puzzling to me than blocks in the back is how often we see players get flagged for lining up off sides. How hard can that be to look at the yard marker and stay behind it?
trents
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:35 am

I think in most cases it's players pressing the edge of the envelope (to turn a phrase) and sometimes they get caught and sometimes they get away with it.
That edge is often the difference between a good play and missing the play.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:10 am

Where I played (interior line) blocks in the back were not an issue and I didn't play on return teams ...
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:10 pm

RiverDog wrote:It's been a long time since I've strapped on a helmet and a lot of things about the game has changed. Additionally, I never played at a very high level, a large high school and one year on the bench at a small college is the extent of my playing experience.

But one thing that has constantly been a wonder for me is how many players get called for blocks in the back, particularly on kick returns. It's not that difficult. You make sure that your head is in front of the defender before you throw the block. I've also been coached that when the ball carrier has gone past you, do not throw any block at all, impede a defender if you must and pursue the play in case there's a fumble or the ball carrier suddenly changes direction, but don't throw a block when you're trailing a play.

This has been a frustration of mine for decades. Are coaches not emphasizing this enough? Are players so eager to get a 'pancake' block and on the highlight reel that they disregard their common sense? It happens with such regularity that there has to be a root cause.

Am I missing something?

Your not but remember, that is one of the stupidest blocks in the backs I have ever seen and gets you nothing even if he had gotten away with it.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:26 pm

As anyone on the Seahawk O-Line would say..."we can't block 'em in front...So......."
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:34 pm

Largent80 wrote:As anyone on the Seahawk O-Line would say..."we can't block 'em in front...So......."

Heh.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:04 pm

trents wrote:What's more puzzling to me than blocks in the back is how often we see players get flagged for lining up off sides. How hard can that be to look at the yard marker and stay behind it?

10-4. Michael Bennett is perhaps one of the more intelligent, heady players on our team, yet he lined up off sides twice on two successive plays.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:16 am

It has been 30 years since I played competitive football, although some of our back yard and street pick-up games over the years could probably qualify.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum