Bevell... kudos

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Bevell... kudos

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:15 pm

Our favorite whipping boy called a smart game yesterday. I don't know whether he was told to or if he did it on his own, but the quick, rhythmic passes were refreshing.

Keep in mind, we left 14 points out there thanks to McEvoy and Prosise (or, maybe 12 with Walsh hah). McEvoy also had another key drop that would have been a first down inside SF territory.

I am not a huge fan of the dink and dunk thing, but when an offense is struggling you need to try and go to that style to get them moving.

As much as Bevell gets crapped on, its only fair to tip my hat to him.

Still hoping Graham can pull his head out of his a$$ at some point...
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Re: Bevell... kudos

Postby trents » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:37 pm

Come now, we heard from Pete Carroll this summer how much better Graham was blocking (tongue in cheek).
trents
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:58 pm

The short rhythmic passes also get your QB to gain confidence, your OL also gains confidence and the opposing Defensive line gets winded. There's a lot to like in the short Rhythmic passing game. The downside is if it doesn't convert the TOP is easily skewed to the other team - also, if the ball is batted or tipped the whole defensive back field ha a shot at the pick.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:16 pm

Our OL also ground out a drive at the end for once, so that's refreshing to say.
Maybe it will give them some confidence for next game.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:42 pm

Yeah, well I STILL want BevisBevellButthead GONE! And IG, you KNOW why. You know that this was a "one off" by Bevis the idiot.

Why tip your hat just because DB decided to actually do his job??? Why would THAT moron wait until yesterday to adjust? If that is what you call it. I call it an aberration. Tell after the Titans kick our behinds and embarrasses us this Sunday if you still want to "tip" your hat.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:13 pm

I gave credit to Bevell in another thread, since I did think he called a decent game.
But those also have been the exception, not the rule.

Dink-and-dunk doesn't have to be our signature, but there needs to be more of it mixed in, particularly on 3rd and short. We have a Really annoying tendency to send our WR's way beyond the yardage necessary. Drove me nuts seeing it again on Sunday.

Down and distance. Mixing it up. Keeping our opponent's D off balance.
Such simple things to be mindful of, yet we see very little diligence by Darrell to stick with what works in that regard.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:42 am

He really didn't have much of a choice. If you're getting a ton of pressure, then dink an dunk is about the only option left in the playbook.

The two big differences between this week and last week was defense and turnovers. Outside of two long runs by Hyde, we completely shut down the Niners. We ran over 20 more plays last week. And we didn't turn the ball over this week. Last week, Russell coughed it up inside our own 10 and gift wrapped a touchdown for them.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:08 am

RiverDog wrote:He really didn't have much of a choice. If you're getting a ton of pressure, then dink an dunk is about the only option left in the playbook.

The two big differences between this week and last week was defense and turnovers. Outside of two long runs by Hyde, we completely shut down the Niners. We ran over 20 more plays last week. And we didn't turn the ball over this week. Last week, Russell coughed it up inside our own 10 and gift wrapped a touchdown for them.

That's the point. He always has a choice. He had a choice vs GB, and kept calling 7-step drops.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:00 pm

I pulled this from the archive because when someone deserves KUDOS I believe in giving it to them.

Darrell Bevell has "upped" his game, considerably. Maybe PC had a "come to Jesus" talk with DB or he finally was honest with himself that what he had been doing was wrong and if he wanted to remain in the NFL he had to change. Maybe it was the fact that nobody and I mean NOBODY was ringing his phone off the hook (millennials won't know what I am talking about, LOL) offering a head coaching job, any where. I don't know who or what it was I am just as happy as a clam he is calling more inspired games.

Keep it DB and you can still be the next Kyle Shanahan instead of the next Sark...

Oh, and Pete, thanx for realizing things had to change and I hope it didn't take PA putting HIS foot down.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:26 pm

Still says something when a guy is praised for Finally doing his job.
Bevell has about 3 or 4 games a season, max, where he actually demonstrates imagination.

I do hope DB leaves or is fired at the end of the year, along with Cable.
Neither one is moving our team forward.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:50 am

Here's something to think about. Did DB call a different game or did Russell start letting the ball fly without steering it. I saw some very refreshing uncharacteristic throws from RW in the game. He squeezed a throw on the goal line in where he would never have thrown it a week or two ago. And most of his long passes that were jump balls he wouldn't have thrown a week or two ago. He usually doesn't throw them unless the WR is open by 4 or 5 yards or he overthrows the WR eliminating any chance of a INT.

In Sunday's game, he threw a few jump balls way down field and threw some in very tight spots. This is actually a good sign that he may be getting over the NFCCG against GB and that following SB.
idhawkman
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum