The biggest problem with the Titans...

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:34 am

...is that they play on grass.

We all know how much of a difference that is for our team. We have not been good on grass. Like, terrible.

Last season on grass: loss at Los Angeles (scoring 3 points), tie at Arizona (scoring 6 points in 5 quarters), loss at Tampa Bay (scoring 5 points), loss at Green Bay (scoring 10 points, but 7 were in garbage time).

We did win in New England and Santa Clara on grass, although we barely squeaked by the 49ers.

This season on grass: loss at Green Bay (scoring 9 points).

We are just a different team on the real stuff.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Re: The biggest problem with the Titans...

Postby Largent80 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:37 am

Using grass play is a weak argument since football was invented long before field turf.

It's about making plays, executing a game plan. Holding onto the damned ball when it hits you in the hands.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:51 am

Largent80 wrote:Using grass play is a weak argument since football was invented long before field turf.

It's about making plays, executing a game plan. Holding onto the damned ball when it hits you in the hands.

You are confusing "argument" with FACTS. I gave the facts, and it goes back before 2016, as well. Easily researched.

To your point, the team hasn't used it as an excuse. It just seems to be we don't play well on it.

The only fields we have played on in the last few seasons where we really looked good was Arizona (2014 and 2015 especially) and

The why is one question. The common angle is we are not as fast on grass as we are on turf.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:07 pm

I actually like our chances on Sunday in Tennessee.
For as frustrating as slow starts are, they also have a tendency to respond when fans least likely expect it.

The Titans haven't been lighting it up, either, and are not known to be a great home team.
Not taking them lightly by and stretch, but I don't think this game is a foregone conclusion, either.

Despite Tom and Darrell's best efforts, the Seahawks still win 15-11 (cue tv laugh track).

Game Ball: Walsh

Go Hawks!
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:58 pm

Looks like it will be hot and humid there at gametime too. oh joy
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:26 pm

Largent80 wrote:Using grass play is a weak argument since football was invented long before field turf.

And not making excuses for you O-line coach failing.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:55 pm

They can block and we cannot.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:49 am

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:...is that they play on grass.

We all know how much of a difference that is for our team. We have not been good on grass. Like, terrible.

Last season on grass: loss at Los Angeles (scoring 3 points), tie at Arizona (scoring 6 points in 5 quarters), loss at Tampa Bay (scoring 5 points), loss at Green Bay (scoring 10 points, but 7 were in garbage time).

We did win in New England and Santa Clara on grass, although we barely squeaked by the 49ers.

This season on grass: loss at Green Bay (scoring 9 points).

We are just a different team on the real stuff.

I'm not ready to go as far as you have and assign the playing surface as a significant cause of our road woes. Here's some more facts to consider:

We play all of our home games on Field Turf, so our performance on the phony stuff tends to be skewed. I wouldn't argue that a major factor in our home performance is the playing surface, certainly not compared to the 12th man crowd, so I wouldn't necessarily attribute our road woes to not playing on it from time to time.

It's interesting that you brought up the Arizona game. Yes, we did play poorly in managing just a tie against the Cards last season in their house, but we played even worse on Field Turf in losing to them at home. Plus for three consecutive years before them, we absolutely destroyed them in their pasture while twice losing to them in our house on Field Turf during the same season.

Last year's Rams road game fit a pattern, and it had nothing to do with the playing surface: We don't match up well against them. I have a hard time ascribing our horrid road performance in one game to playing on a natural surface when we've played them poorly on the phony stuff, particularly on the Field Turf in St. Louis, for almost all of the past 5 years.

Last year's game in Santa Clara was a glorified preseason game anyway, so I wouldn't want to draw too many conclusions from it one way or another. Besides, we beat the Niners on their grass field in the previous two seasons when the games actually meant something.

So is the playing surface a factor? Maybe, depending on the opponent and the condition of that surface. IMO last season's tie game at Arizona was affected by the field conditions, although it's hard to say which team it favored. There were more divots in that contest than I've ever seen in any game...except those played in inclement weather. I think that Arizona over waters their grass during the hot summer. Root systems are best developed in the summer when the plant goes dormant and forces its roots to drive deeper in search of water. But when you continue to drench it, the plant stays active as it gets its water on the surface. It looks golf course green, but the plant is never stressed and forced to look for water, so the roots stay within a couple of inches of the surface.

Bottom line is that I would not assign as large a factor to playing on grass than I would to playing in the early time slot, which we won't be tomorrow. Nevertheless, I'm still picking us to lose. Hope I'm wrong.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:22 am

Interesting argument. Just to add a little data;

The turf at Lambeau is a grass hybrid. It uses netting and a much firmer underground material in order to help the turf hold up to the play and cold weather. The same system is in use at Mile High (or whatever the hell they call it now.)

The turf at Tennessee's (Nissan?) stadium is Bermuda grass. The stuff grows practically flat and is cultivated to use little water. It's certainly different then field turf, but closer to astro turf in terms of firmness then old fashioned sod.
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:27 am

FolkCrusader wrote:Interesting argument. Just to add a little data;

The turf at Lambeau is a grass hybrid. It uses netting and a much firmer underground material in order to help the turf hold up to the play and cold weather. The same system is in use at Mile High (or whatever the hell they call it now.)

The turf at Tennessee's (Nissan?) stadium is Bermuda grass. The stuff grows practically flat and is cultivated to use little water. It's certainly different then field turf, but closer to astro turf in terms of firmness then old fashioned sod.

You mean to say that the Frozen Tundra of Lambeau Field is actually a hybrid? Say it ain't so!
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum