No doubt remaining about moving to the hurry up offense

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

No doubt remaining about moving to the hurry up offense

Postby trents » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:05 am

The Titan's game confirmed what most of of us had concluded already. Seattle can reliably move the ball and score when they employ the hurry up offense but can't otherwise. With the kind of athletes we have now, the conventionally-paced offense is nothing but three and out. And the hurry up can't be more fatiguing to the O and D line than a whole string of three and outs. The Hawks need to develop a more sophisticated system of substitution to keep players fresh while avoiding penalties and mistakes in the process. Some college teams, like the University of Oregon, have lived on the hurry up all game long. Surely a pro team could do it with all the additional hours they can devote to practice.

And I'll tell you something else, if the Hawks didn't have Russel Wilson's athleticism and elusiveness, even the hurry up wouldn't be working. They just need to take advantage of that asset more consistently.
trents
Legacy

Re: No doubt remaining about moving to the hurry up offense

Postby mykc14 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:17 am

I think that, in PC's eyes, it is a short-term fix. Part of Pete-ball is holding onto the ball and keeping it away from the opposing team's O. Wear down their D while our D stays fresh. I really believe that PC would rather have us go through these early season growing pains with our offense and continue to work on the run game than just go hurry-up/no-huddle because it works right now. I'm not saying I agree but this is Pete-ball. This is how he has always coached and I just don't see him changing a major aspect of his coaching style this early in the season. I think he believes that to win in the playoffs you have to have a run oriented clock controlling offense that keeps other team's offenses off of the field.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:17 am

It would appear that the Seahawks standard Offense stifles Wilson's creativity and the hurry-up Offense gives him more opportunity to use what makes him special.
It seems to me that when in the up tempo Offense, he's a little more accurate. I don't have any stats, but it just looks like he makes the throws and gets into a better rhythm when going faster.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby trents » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:58 am

NorthHawk wrote:It would appear that the Seahawks standard Offense stifles Wilson's creativity and the hurry-up Offense gives him more opportunity to use what makes him special.
It seems to me that when in the up tempo Offense, he's a little more accurate. I don't have any stats, but it just looks like he makes the throws and gets into a better rhythm when going faster.

I agree 100% It helps him and the whole offense get into rhythm. Wilson's passes are more on target and his receivers stop dropping passes that are on target.
trents
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum