The human fund.....

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

The human fund.....

Postby curmudgeon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:57 am

curmudgeon
Legacy

Re: The human fund.....

Postby DallasHawk » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:20 am

no thanks
DallasHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:38 am

It's a nice gesture and it's positive action, but it's unclear to me what this has to do with the anthem protests or how these donations are going to solve the 'injustice problem.' It seems to me that the issues they're trying to call to light by protesting the anthem are not fixable by donations to charity.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:44 am

A real protester would sacrifice their career for a cause like Muhammad Ali. These player are fair weather protesters until they put up their entire career and paycheck. Still trying to figure what inequality is? Been around forever I think as long as there are humans.
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:44 am

It seems to me that the issues they're trying to call to light by protesting the anthem are not fixable by donations to charity.

Exactly.

And if they think they *are* fixable by money, how about the millionaires demonstrate that first? Horrible optics, but they're incapable of recognizing that.

(and I got your reference, curmudgeon :))
burrrton
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:12 am

It depends on how they use the money.
It's a laudable goal to be sure and if it promotes understanding through dialogue and interactions, it would be worth it.
At the moment, it's a little vague about what exactly they are going to do.
Once that's demonstrated, they may get more support.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:57 pm

As someone who develops all kinds of programming for youth, I’d need to see more specific info on this before I’d chip in. Also, I’ve reviewed hundreds of grants in my lifetime, too. There are a lot of well intentioned people and organizations out there. But unless you can tell me exactly what you are doing (& for whom) and how you will monitor success - you’re just spinning your wheels.

I have no doubt that the foundation is all too aware of the above and have worked out, or will work out specifics. I’ll react to those. Still... good on the Hawks!

And the millionaires: PA, Pete and most players do put their money toward lifting the community in one way or another. Which also makes me proud. #gohawks
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:15 pm

Glad they are focused in football after a 1-2 start.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:17 am

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:Glad they are focused in football after a 1-2 start.

Yea, no kidding. They ought to be studying their opponents strengths and weaknesses.

Although I will say that what Deshaun Watson did the other day was incredible. Instead of cashing his first ever NFL paycheck, he donated to a couple of fellow employees that had lost everything in a flood. He wasn't trying to make a statement, just doing a good deed. He's immediately placed himself as one of my favorite non Seahawks.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:58 am

Hawk Sista wrote:As someone who develops all kinds of programming for youth, I’d need to see more specific info on this before I’d chip in. Also, I’ve reviewed hundreds of grants in my lifetime, too. There are a lot of well intentioned people and organizations out there. But unless you can tell me exactly what you are doing (& for whom) and how you will monitor success - you’re just spinning your wheels.

I have no doubt that the foundation is all too aware of the above and have worked out, or will work out specifics. I’ll react to those. Still... good on the Hawks!

And the millionaires: PA, Pete and most players do put their money toward lifting the community in one way or another. Which also makes me proud. #gohawks

What is confusing me is that this is obviously a response to the anthem protests, that they've heard the criticism that they are simply complaining and not actually doing something, so they've decided to form some type of charity. Do they have a guilty conscious and are trying to win back the hearts and souls of their fans by showing us that they're really not such bad people after all? Relative to the protests, what is it that they hope to achieve by getting people to donate money? If they wanted to use their money to help resolve the problems they were protesting, why not create a fund to offer more training, sensitivity classes, etc, to police officers or others? At least that would tie their very laudable charitable actions to their protests.

The reality is that anthem protests had nothing to do with money or the lack of it. Unless you want to buy advertising or pay for some type of forum, you can't fix prejudice or injustice with money, you fix it by appealing to the intellect of others in the way Martin Luther King was able to do.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:44 am

Unfortunately, none of them can speak like Dr King and realistically, if they called a press conference it would be talked about for a few days then done.
By sitting or kneeling, the issue is brought up consistently in front of a large audience that dwarfs any press conference.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby haxin jaxin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:33 am

If these players set up a fund that would address the gang culture, the drug culture, and the baby mama culture of the inner city, I might think about donating.
haxin jaxin
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:49 am

NorthHawk wrote:Unfortunately, none of them can speak like Dr King and realistically, if they called a press conference it would be talked about for a few days then done.
By sitting or kneeling, the issue is brought up consistently in front of a large audience that dwarfs any press conference.

While I do agree that the group statement and demonstrations on this platform create a larger national discussion, I wouldn’t dismiss the possibility of an emerging leader out of this movement. I was very proud to meet Congressman John Lewis who was just a young man when he was moved by King to action. That was 50+ years ago and he is considered the conscience of the Congress today, at age 77.

And, new poster guy - welcome. You will be pleased to know that many Seahawks players spend time and resources to improve the lives of inner city kids.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:51 am

NorthHawk wrote:Unfortunately, none of them can speak like Dr King and realistically, if they called a press conference it would be talked about for a few days then done.

It's not the fact that there isn't anyone on the team that can speak as eloquently as Dr. King (no one can) that makes calling a press conference unrealistic, it's that the injustices are not nearly as clear and blatant as they were during King's time.

And welcome to The Shack, haxin jaxin!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby haxin jaxin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:36 pm

RiverDog wrote:
And welcome to The Shack, haxin jaxin!

Thank You.
I'm hoping ALL the Seahawks stand respectfully for the National Anthem tonight. If not, they and other players around the NFL are in real danger of killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Fans are NOT going to put up with their antics very much longer.
Like Lou Holtz used to tell his players,....."Keep your causes at home".
haxin jaxin
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:06 pm

haxin jaxin wrote:Thank You.
I'm hoping ALL the Seahawks stand respectfully for the National Anthem tonight. If not, they and other players around the NFL are in real danger of killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Fans are NOT going to put up with their antics very much longer.
Like Lou Holtz used to tell his players,....."Keep your causes at home".

That's the way I feel, too, but I'm not going so far as to require them to stand. IMO if they're going to use the opportunity to make some sort of statement, the entire team should be kept in the locker room during the pregame ceremonies. There are high school kids that are joining in these anthem protests, and I can almost guarantee you that half of them don't know what they're protesting, that they're simply mimicking their heros.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby haxin jaxin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:45 pm

RiverDog wrote:
That's the way I feel, too, but I'm not going so far as to require them to stand. IMO if they're going to use the opportunity to make some sort of statement, the entire team should be kept in the locker room during the pregame ceremonies. There are high school kids that are joining in these anthem protests, and I can almost guarantee you that half of them don't know what they're protesting, that they're simply mimicking their heros.

I would be OK with teams staying in their locker rooms for the NA, and if Goodell was smart, he would implement that rule toot sweet.
haxin jaxin
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:23 pm

haxin jaxin wrote: I would be OK with teams staying in their locker rooms for the NA, and if Goodell was smart, he would implement that rule toot sweet.

I'm not sure that Goodell can implement rules. He's the enforcer, the owners are the ones that make the rules.

But I get your point. The league is between a rock and a hard spot. With the vast majority of players being black, they don't want to be seen as insensitive to their concerns and drive a wedge between themselves and their players yet they are alienating many of their fans by permitting the protests. I don't envy their position. If they're going to do something like that, it needs to be done in the offseason so they can spend some time talking to the players about it, reason with them (ie killing the goose that laid the golden egg).
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum