Game thread Rams Vs Hawks.

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Game thread Rams Vs Hawks.

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:35 pm

NorthHawk wrote:This was a good win (as all are but this is just a little sweeter considering our troubles with the Rams), but I'm not in the camp that it was crucial.
The Rams will come down to earth as the season wears on and others figure out what they are doing, but they will remain a dangerous team.
Meanwhile I expect us to get better during the season. The OL is key and I think it will improve even a little which can help. With our Defense, an extra 2 or 3 first downs
can be the difference in a win or loss especially if they come while protecting a lead or wearing down the clock.

It was one of the key wins of the season. Beating any division opponent on the road is one of the key wins to taking the division. We've become spoiled with all the playoff and Super Bowl trips. In past years beating a division rival on the road was a crucial and big win. I still think it is. Not sure why everyone is shrugging about it. If I'm a Rams fan, I'm pretty unhappy right now as not holding serve at home against a division rival is a worse loss than any other loss you can have during the regular season.

First goal in a Super Bowl run is win the division. That means winning all division games at home and as many on the road as possible. Not sure why some fans don't see this as important. We used to consider winning divisional games, especially road games, as a huge deal.

I see people saying "head to head" is not that big a deal in a tiebreaker. Division record is a big deal. This greatly improves our division record. We hold serve at home, our division record is 4-2 at worst now. I think we can beat Arizona or Frisco in their house.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:54 pm

We don't have to beat the Rams to win the Division, just win more games.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:28 pm

NorthHawk wrote:We don't have to beat the Rams to win the Division, just win more games.

And if there is a tie between teams, divisional records very much start to matter. What part of this win the division by winning division games have the spoiled fan base forgotten? We used to very much focus on winning division games on the road. It was a big deal. It's what we wanted to do every year. They are literally the most important regular season games we play. Yet the new spoiled fan base disregards them? It's ridiculous.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:05 pm

NorthHawk wrote:We don't have to beat the Rams to win the Division, just win more games.

That's my point. Beating the Rams was huge, but not because of the 2nd tiebreaker aspect (first being head-to-head). There was a 2 game difference in our contest with the Rams: Lose and we're 2 back, win and we're tied. That's what's significant.

If you want to talk tiebreakers, conference records come into play more often than divisional records. We lost out on a first round bye last year because of that stupid tie with the Cards that gave Atlanta the bye. At this point, we've only lost one conference game, and everyone else in the NFC has at least 1 conference loss.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:33 pm

There was a 2 game difference in our contest with the Rams: Lose and we're 2 back, win and we're tied. That's what's significant.

That was my point River, it was a 2 game swing.
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:03 am

There are still 11 games to go and a lot is going to change between now and season end.
It's up to us to win our share and make up any losses with wins against other teams.
It was a big win, but not crucial at this point in the season.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum