Oline Observations

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Oline Observations

Postby idhawkman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:39 pm

I believe that Tobin was in for Ifedi after the Giants missed field goal. I know he was in when we went heavy sets toward the end but I believe I saw him replace ifedi before we had the two score lead.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tobin start at RT next week.

Regarding Odhiambo, I think he's doing a commendable job at LT. Another game with no penalties on him. He might be getting the kinks out now also.
idhawkman
Legacy

Re: Oline Observations

Postby burrrton » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:59 pm

Yeah, I hate reading too much into 1 game, but LT didn't seem to be an issue today. A good, and unique, feeling this year so far.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:04 pm

This is tough, while Wilson, for the most part, was able to get his throws off, he took a lot of punishment. At one point he was hit on 12 straight dropbacks. So its a mixed bag to me. If I remember correctly even the announcers who were pro giant said Wilson was taking way to much punishment. I stopped counting at 18 hits so not sure where the final number is.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:21 pm

He did take some big shots but he was holding the ball a lot too. That is because his WRs were running typical Bevell routes that take a lot of time.

I think RG is the biggest problem we have now if you don't count the problems ifedi has with penalties. RW also should have stepped up a time or two into the pocket but I don't think he has the confidence to do that. RW gets a couple sacks every game because he lets the DE's run around the tackles and is deeper than he should be. Tackles should be able to push the DEs around the back side of the QB.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:26 pm

Yeah, he takes his initial drop, but has no confidence to be able to step up *into* any pocket, because he has to be confident the pocket is forming (they happen simultaneously)- he's not, though, so he bails backwards into the pressure that would have otherwise been pushed around him.

It was blatant a number of times today, but I think it will go away as the o-line continues to gel. He's shown he has the ability, and the line is showing it's gelling- a bad sign for the rest of the league, maybe.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:29 pm

Still the "he needs to step up" mantra huh ... you can't step up into a nonexistent pocket.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:36 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Still the "he needs to step up" mantra huh ... you can't step up into a nonexistent pocket.

It's not a "mantra" with me, Bob, but I'm sorry- there was a pocket there a number of times that he missed. Understandably, perhaps, but he still missed it.

If that seems like an impossibility to you, I'll question how long you've been watching football.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:50 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Still the "he needs to step up" mantra huh ... you can't step up into a nonexistent pocket.

Not a mantra for me. I do believe that he had a nice one to step up into on that intentional grounding play though. It seemed like Ifedi had pushed that DE around him but he didn't see it. It also seemed like he had room to just step up on that play. I think there were a couple more, too.

The one thing you can't be sure of when watching this is what RWs seeing down field. Maybe he didn't think stepping up would give him enough time for his receiver to uncover and that scrambling would. Or that if he scrambled a certain way, it would open up/create space for the receiver.

I do believe that it is very difficult for the Tackles to block for him because the DEs can bull rush, spin inside or speed around the edge and they have equal chance of getting to RW or even a better chance with the speed rush. I know Aaron Rodgers usually splits the G and T when he escapes the pocket but RW almost always goes out backwards.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:22 am

The Seahawk "pocket" is about the size of the watch pocket on a pair of Levi's. However, on the grounding play, if he would have taken a step forward and to the right there was a nice area to work from.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:35 am

Nah.

Still a major work in progress.
It's just when they actually do their job a lil, fans start to think they'll develop.

Not this group.
Britt & Pocic are the only ones worth keeping moving forward.
Forget Fant. Waste of time. Glowinski had a heck of a debut in AZ a couple seasons ago, but has fizzled out since. Jokel...meh.

Keep flushing.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:49 am

Bag the ZBS concepts and go to a strictly power blocking scheme.
Maybe my expectations are getting pretty low, but I thought they did OK for the most part yesterday and the Giants DL has some good players on it.
Poor points were the goal line run plays (and the run game as a whole), but pass protection better seemed a little better overall.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:11 am

Zorn76 wrote:Nah.

Still a major work in progress.
It's just when they actually do their job a lil, fans start to think they'll develop.

Not this group.
Britt & Pocic are the only ones worth keeping moving forward.
Forget Fant. Waste of time. Glowinski had a heck of a debut in AZ a couple seasons ago, but has fizzled out since. Jokel...meh.

Keep flushing.

I'm not ready to give up on Fant just yet.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:04 am

Fant's done CB stick a fork in him.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:14 pm

I hear you C_Bob - but really the entire evaluation process/scouting/coaching is sub par for the OL prospects to begin with.

They don't get it. It' s obvious the players are not learning, because we keep repeating the same thing over and over with Tom and it doesn't work.

Even if Fant were legit, Tom Cable is Clearly Not the guy who can be trusted to evaluate and coach 'talent' that most of the time hasn't been there to begin with. I think his input is quite heavy concerning OL draft matters, because if he wasn't getting the garbage prospects that he helped select, then he woulda been gone a long time ago.

It's a double whammy of routinely drafting kids that are mostly garbage, combined with a coach that doesn't know what the h*ll he's doing.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:27 pm

Odhiambo rated out at 98 yesterday good for 4th best among all LT's, and Pocic was 100, all of this in pass pro.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:31 pm

Largent80 wrote:Odhiambo rated out at 98 yesterday good for 4th best among all LT's, and Pocic was 100, all of this in pass pro.

Nice.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:03 pm

Largent80 wrote:Odhiambo rated out at 98 yesterday good for 4th best among all LT's, and Pocic was 100, all of this in pass pro.

Yes - a good game here and there really sticks out compared to the usual ineptness we see up front. Pocic at least has a shot at developing, and Odhi will continue to battle for PT next season.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:39 pm

Keep a close eye on Odhiambo, he'll turn out to be a great LT. He may not be good yet at ZBS but he will be if needed. When we straight out power block, he's solid.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:02 am

Britt sprained his ankle - not a high ankle sprain but the more common sprained ankle like we used to get as kids on occasion.
I don't know how severe it is, but he's not expected to practice until maybe Friday and if he can't go then Pocic will start at Center.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:47 am

Didn't Britt finish the game with the ankle injury?
burrrton
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:52 am

Old but Slow wrote:Tobin was in as an extra TE for blocking purposes. He was not replacing Ifedi. The O line played pretty well, overall, not perfection, but better. As a casual viewer, we did not seem to be damaged by the absence of Joeckel, and Pocic seemed to play well. I worry some about the injury to Britt but he was able to finish.

OBS, I may be wrong but the sequence after the missed FG by the Giants, Tobin was in for ifedi. The score was still 10-7 at that time and we were not trying to power run the ball and run the clock out. I think they sat ifedi for a sequence or two. That said, I know tobin was in on that right side later when we had a big lead, too.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:45 am

burrrton wrote:Didn't Britt finish the game with the ankle injury?

Yes, he did, but I'm sure you know these things get worse early after rest and become really sore.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:59 am

NorthHawk wrote:Yes, he did, but I'm sure you know these things get worse early after rest and become really sore.

Agreed, but if it was stable enough to finish the game, it'll be stable enough a week later. Soreness can be mitigated.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:47 am

Not necessarily.
It could be a worse sprain than we think but the adrenaline or his body minimized the pain for a couple of hours but now it's not as manageable.
We've seen players get injured during a game but out the next week because of that injury. It's not uncommon.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:08 am

It could be a worse sprain than we think but the adrenaline or his body minimized the pain for a couple of hours but now it's not as manageable.

That's an awful big insult to Dr. Khalfayan- he'd be the sh*ttiest surgeon in the country if he allowed a player to head back out there based on adrenaline.

Again, it's not the pain we're worried about (within reason)- it's injury (which manifests as instability) and they can test for that, and there's no way they'd have allowed him back out there unless it tested stable.

This isn't to say there's no way he'll be out (the swelling could get out of hand or something), but him going back in after being checked by the team doc is a very good sign.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:15 am

Carroll said it was a lateral sprain and not the high ankle type that takes longer to get back. He think Britt will try it on Friday and if he can go he will but he won't be in there Wed and thurs. Same for Procise on the lateral thing but I believe they are holding him out this week.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:54 am

I would say that Cable has managed to get this o-line performing despite all the changes. To me that is the mark of great coaching.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:14 pm

That's an awful big insult to Dr. Khalfayan- he'd be the sh*ttiest surgeon in the country if he allowed a player to head back out there based on adrenaline.

Again, it's not the pain we're worried about (within reason)- it's injury (which manifests as instability) and they can test for that, and there's no way they'd have allowed him back out there unless it tested stable.

This isn't to say there's no way he'll be out (the swelling could get out of hand or something), but him going back in after being checked by the team doc is a very good sign.

Shitty surgeon is a pretty big jump from too much pain.
I agree that it was a good sign that he got back into the game, but not testing it until Friday is not a good sign.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:25 pm

Shitty surgeon is a pretty big jump from too much pain.

Any surgeon (hell, any PT) could tell you if there's too much mobility in an ankle (or knee, or virtually any other joint) in 2.6 milliseconds, and therefore know whether something is torn.

There's no way they didn't test for that, and there's no way they send him back in risking further injury based on him thinking he can go due to adrenaline. They *had* to have concluded he was sore but stable, and there's no way he'll be less stable a week later.

Again, this doesn't mean he's guaranteed to play, but they'd have to let the swelling get out of control or something, and with virtually unlimited resources at their disposal, that seems really, really unlikely.

I guess we'll see. It's been a long, long time since my PT days so I might be forgetting to consider something.

not testing it until Friday is not a good sign.

Agree it's not GOOD, but *that* could be due purely to the pain- you want to get it feeling as good as possible before Sunday.
burrrton
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum