Next 4 Games

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Next 4 Games

Postby RiverDog » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:23 am

We came out of the soft spot in our schedule in good shape as far as our W/L record goes. With Rodgers being out for the rest of the season, the Falcons and Panthers losing their last two in a row, and having the top two teams in the NFC East in our house, you have to feel pretty good about our status given our well documented problems on offense.

Next up is a solid Houston Texans team. They've lost some tough games to good teams, losing at Foxbourogh to the Patriots, at home against the Chiefs, and lost their opener to a surprisingly good Jacksonville team. They manhandled the Titans, a team that pretty much had their way with us. They will be coming off their bye.

Then the Redskins come to town. They are led by an experienced QB in Kirk Cousins who is having a solid year, having thrown just two picks and in the top 5 in passer rating and completion percentage. Their only two losses were to two current division leaders (Eagles and Chiefs). Them and their NFC East rivals play tonight on MNF.

After that, we make our annual pilgrimage to the desert. The Cards just got shut out by the Rams, were hammered by the Eagles, and had to squeak by two of the worst teams in the league, the Niners and Colts. We haven't lost in Glendale in 4 years.

Following that game, we have a MNF headliner, us vs. the defending NFC champion Falcons and the team that ended our season last year.

Bottom line is that our schedule gets a lot tougher from here on out. Our wins have come against opponents with a combined record of 8-19, and only 2 of our remaining 10 games feature opponents that are currently sub .500.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Next 4 Games

Postby Largent80 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:48 am

Week to week teams are different. Teams that kicked ass the week before (AZ.) were dreadful the next week. As Chuck Knox used to say, "It's not who you play, but WHEN you play them".

Winning on the road is required to garner the coveted bye in the playoffs and to build confidence. And of course taking care of business at home. I live near Houston and so I see all their games. They are totally beatable for Seattle. Same can be said for Washington.

Defensively, the Hawks are in good shape, especially when the offense is getting first downs. Regardless of them not putting up points early in the game yesterday, the offense totally controlled the clock and that will be needed going forward for the Hawks to be successful.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:16 am

the fluctuation of this season has been strange, even for the NFL.
Like the league can't get into rhythm, the same way Bevell swipes right at mediocrity.

Timing is everything. Had we gone to GB in two weeks, probably much different game.
Or maybe not. It's been that kind of season.

Right now, the next few game look a lot more winnable than they did a few weeks ago.
And while the Giants are gashed and suck right now, any road win is good for our team.
I did experience a heart palpitation when I saw the screen pass implemented, but otherwise came out of the game ok.

p.s. and our road warrior Seahawks were the clinching win for a 5 team teaser card! Rare for me to get the W on those, ha.

(Titans, pk/ Ravens +10.5/ Jets+9.5/ Bears+9.5/ Seahawks+2.5)
25/100. Gas money, and I'll take it.

You'll also notice that Tennessee took OT to beat the Browns as 6 pt favorites. That's why I switched to mainly teaser cards, because I was able to tease that 6 to 0. They are a sucker's bet, but I still like 'em. I win just enough to be happy. None of this is really a money making proposition, lol.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:44 pm

Largent80 wrote:Week to week teams are different. Teams that kicked ass the week before (AZ.) were dreadful the next week. As Chuck Knox used to say, "It's not who you play, but WHEN you play them".

Winning on the road is required to garner the coveted bye in the playoffs and to build confidence. And of course taking care of business at home. I live near Houston and so I see all their games. They are totally beatable for Seattle. Same can be said for Washington.

Defensively, the Hawks are in good shape, especially when the offense is getting first downs. Regardless of them not putting up points early in the game yesterday, the offense totally controlled the clock and that will be needed going forward for the Hawks to be successful.

There's certainly some truth to that, but nevertheless, I'd venture to say that this season, the Falcons, Eagles, and Redskins are all quite a bit better than the Niners, Colts, and Giants no matter when we play them.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:38 pm

Zorn76 wrote:I did experience a heart palpitation when I saw the screen pass implemented, but otherwise came out of the game ok.

Lol, I know many of folk on here have been saying try the screen to alleviate the pressure. When that happened yesterday, I was as blown away as you. Did you hear the announcers quote after that it was only the 2nd screen pass thrown all year. And you could tell because Rawls had no idea how to use his blockers once he caught it. They said they asked Wilson why he had only thrown 1 screen pass all year, and he said something like " I dont' know, we just don't throw them".

Perhaps it's because Procise got all the work on the screens and with him out they didn't try it with Lacy or Rawls, but with Procise back in the mix and McKissic and Rawls looking like they can take advantage of the open space, please Bevell, throw this play into the mix more often. Make teams make a nice play and tackle once in a while to stop it. On that play where it happened, the Giants were coming full on to attack RW3. It looked like a thing of beauty when Rawls caught it with 3 blockers in front and all that open space.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:10 pm

It would be nice if we improved our screen play execution.

I don't know RD. We're 4-2 with more home games left than road. We're 2-0 on the home and 2-2 in road games for a 4-2 record. We have six of our final ten games at home. Our road games are Arizona, Frisco, Jacksonville, and Dallas. We can go 2-2 on the road the rest of the way and win out at home or at least go 4-2 for a 10-6 record at worst. I feel like the hard part of our road schedule is done. Unless we collapse or Russell goes out or some key defensive player, I feel like 10-6 is pretty much the low end for our record. We'll likely end up 11-5 as I don't expect us to win out at home. 12-4 is a possibility if they can keep getting better on offense, while maintaining the level of the defense.

I think we look pretty good for a division win and a strong playoff run.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:01 am

Showing that screen play was huge. It forces opposing DC's to have to at least consider it. Rawls was just looking to truck someone or he may have even scored.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:26 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:I don't know RD. We're 4-2 with more home games left than road. We're 2-0 on the home and 2-2 in road games for a 4-2 record. We have six of our final ten games at home. Our road games are Arizona, Frisco, Jacksonville, and Dallas. We can go 2-2 on the road the rest of the way and win out at home or at least go 4-2 for a 10-6 record at worst. I feel like the hard part of our road schedule is done. Unless we collapse or Russell goes out or some key defensive player, I feel like 10-6 is pretty much the low end for our record. We'll likely end up 11-5 as I don't expect us to win out at home. 12-4 is a possibility if they can keep getting better on offense, while maintaining the level of the defense.

I think we look pretty good for a division win and a strong playoff run.

Yes, we are set up pretty well. Our schedule is lining up quite favorably. If you subscribe to the thought that we always start slow and finish strong, then this season's schedule was near perfect. Judging by W/L records to this point, our strongest opponents left on our schedule (Philly, Falcons, Redskins, Texans, and Rams) are all at home, and I don't see any remaining road game as being a huge obstacle on the order of going into someplace like Lambeau or Denver.

But we're gonna have to improve. We can't go on laying eggs in the first half of games. The conference is very competitive this season. 11 of the 16 teams have 3 or fewer losses, and any one of them could catch fire.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:02 am

The Seahawks have always pickup it up after about week 8 and guess what week it is?

I think the slow starts are going to gradually be a thing of the past and this defense is shaping up to be very similar to 2013. Coleman and Griffin look great out there. Jarran Reed is having a great year, Richardson has helped both Reed and Jones who is a rookie make impact plays. Jefferson actually saw action Sunday. Talk of getting Freeney is only going to make it better.

Wagner is having his best year and was all over the field Sunday and in every game so far. Sherm, Kam, and Earl are bringing it. Look what we did to the Rams, which have averaged over 30 points a game except against us and on their home field.

Thorpe is an awesome gunner on ST. And we blocked a punt Sunday as well. Ryan downed a bunch of kicks inside the 20 last Sunday.

The offense is a few steps away from getting on a roll. Rawls was looking like his old self in spite of LG by committee at LG and improvement was noted on the O-Line. McKissic is an exciting player.

I'm liking what I'm seeing in spite of 11 tries at the goal line in one drive.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:48 am

Eagles are the only 1 loss team in the league now. Is that weird or what? If we beat them in our house and match their schedule we have a good chance at HF throughout. And we all know what that means...
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:45 pm

Carson Wentz is looking like the real deal. He's improving at the same rate you see for true quality QBs. I hope our secondary is healthy and our pass rush on when we face the Eagles.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:52 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Carson Wentz is looking like the real deal. He's improving at the same rate you see for true quality QBs. I hope our secondary is healthy and our pass rush on when we face the Eagles.

They just lost their starting LT. And we play them in early December in the Clink. I see a Hawk beatdown on them.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:08 pm

A lot can happen between now and when we play them. We'll have enough film to watch on them but that won't stop Bevell from waiting until half time to come up with a game plan. :(
idhawkman
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum