Seahawks acquire LT Duane Brown from Houston

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Seahawks acquire LT Duane Brown from Houston

Postby Vegaseahawk » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:14 pm

Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Re: Seahawks acquire LT Duane Brown from Houston

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:19 pm

NFL network had a trailer about it and said they'd talk more about it in a few minutes.
Wonder what the price is?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:35 pm

It looks like Seattle is sending Lane, a future early round, (2nd?) draft pick, & next years 5th round pick for Brown.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:38 pm

I thought we already gave up our 2nd pick in the Richardson trade.
I hope Cable doesn't try to turn him into another Center.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Clem7 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:48 pm

Clem7
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:52 pm

Oh hell yes!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Is Duane Brown good?
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:58 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Is Duane Brown good?

I've been trying to find something on him but can't find anything. I think the bigger question is can he learn the ZBS that Cable wants? Has he played that scheme before? I've seen Cable take a top 1st round pick and mediocratize him. Joke-L He's a converted TE so that fits what Cable likes in Olinemen. He's just now ending a long holdout this year so we might be getting someone who wants a new contract at the end of the year at some price that might cost us another player or we might just be filling a hole for the rest of this year until Cable can get Fant back.

Its hard to tell what is going on.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:05 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Oh hell yes!

OH WOW this turns our whole world around!!! We might actually have a running game again!!!
obiken
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:22 pm

Fat Bottom Boys they make my rockin world go-round. Woot!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:23 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Is Duane Brown good?
idhawkman wrote:I've been trying to find something on him but can't find anything. I think the bigger question is can he learn the ZBS that Cable wants? Has he played that scheme before? I've seen Cable take a top 1st round pick and mediocratize him. Joke-L He's a converted TE so that fits what Cable likes in Olinemen. He's just now ending a long holdout this year so we might be getting someone who wants a new contract at the end of the year at some price that might cost us another player or we might just be filling a hole for the rest of this year until Cable can get Fant back.

Its hard to tell what is going on.

Brown, 32, has spent his entire career in Houston after he was taken in the first round of the 2008 NFL Draft. He started at least 12 games in his first nine seasons with the team, making the Pro Bowl in 2012, 2013 and 2014.

But he didn’t play in the first six games of the year for the Texans after holding out due to a contract dispute. He made his 2017 debut Sunday against the Seahawks.

It’s an easy trade to justify for both teams.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/30/165 ... wks-texans
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:30 pm

Its a steal for us CB, they get a 2nd rounder and Lane for an All Pro Left Tackle, I am shocked that the Eagles didnt get him!
obiken
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:32 pm

obiken wrote:Its a steal for us CB, they get a 2nd rounder and Lane for an All Pro Left Tackle, I am shocked that the Eagles didnt get him!

I couldn't be happier!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:34 pm

I couldn't be happier!

Not only does it plug a huge hole it gives us a lot more options to mix and match!
obiken
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:21 pm

What a disaster! Old Seabags collecting the rust and wheelchair crowd with no where left to go but to the home!

Rams will cruise now..so u beat us once - never again
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:26 pm

Rambo2014 wrote:What a disaster! Old Seabags collecting the rust and wheelchair crowd with no where left to go but to the home!

LOLs, we can beat you even with our existing oline. If this is any upgrade, we'll wipe the field with your carcasses. LOL
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:50 pm

Great trade. And many have asked if he’s good he is considered top five and his position. He looked awesome yesterday after missing the first part of the season.

And Idhawkman, as far as zone blocking, he came from Kubiak’s system in Houston which is the premier for zone blocking. So yeah I think he will kill it under Cable!
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:51 pm

The word you're looking for is "was " not "is" has played 1 game this season.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:54 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:The word you're looking for is "was " not "is" has played 1 game this season.

So having held out he's now a has been?
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:03 pm

Rambo2014 wrote:What a disaster! Old Seabags collecting the rust and wheelchair crowd with no where left to go but to the home!

Look at the little kid that runs out of nowhere, yells some stupid crap, then runs off again. Seahawks will swat you on your ass and send you back into your room crying soon enough.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby The POPE » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:24 pm

Stream Hawk wrote:Great trade. And many have asked if he’s good he is considered top five and his position. He looked awesome yesterday after missing the first part of the season.

And Idhawkman, as far as zone blocking, he came from Kubiak’s system in Houston which is the premier for zone blocking. So yeah I think he will kill it under Cable!

I've been waiting forever for someone to kill it under Cables guidance.....still waiting. Hope your right
The POPE
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:34 pm

When nobody and I mean NOBODY thought that it was possible to acquire a decent LT J.S. goes and pulls off one of his best and most inspired player move of his career. Talk about a second wind! I had really thought that maybe John had lost his "mojo" but he proved today that he is still one of the best G.M.'s in professional sports not only the N.F.L. To this day, I still don't understand how he never was honored with NFL Executive of the year his first few seasons. If we make it back to the Super Bowl then I don't see how they could justify giving it again to someone else. Actually, it would a shame if that's what it took because his maneuvering of the salary cap should be required reading for anybody who wants to make sports management a career.
Umm, yum yum man, does that crow taste GOOD, I love it when I am WRONG!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:49 pm

Great news! Lane was expendable, and we can work around the draft choice thing. Besides, like George Allen once said..."the future is now."
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:28 pm

No Bob doesn't make you a has been, but it certainly doesn't make you the best either. If you need an example, use Chancellor pre and post holdout performance.

He MIGHT be, then again he MIGHT not be.

Nothing to based the top 5 on right now, zero. He was considered a top five tackle ( though even that was as couple seasons ago). Doesn't mean he is right now. It really isn't that complicated of a process, if he performs at his all pro 2012 or 2014 pro bowl level, he IS, if not he WAS.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:06 am

Seahawks4Ever wrote:When nobody and I mean NOBODY thought that it was possible to acquire a decent LT J.S. goes and pulls off one of his best and most inspired player move of his career. Talk about a second wind! I had really thought that maybe John had lost his "mojo" but he proved today that he is still one of the best G.M.'s in professional sports not only the N.F.L. To this day, I still don't understand how he never was honored with NFL Executive of the year his first few seasons. If we make it back to the Super Bowl then I don't see how they could justify giving it again to someone else. Actually, it would a shame if that's what it took because his maneuvering of the salary cap should be required reading for anybody who wants to make sports management a career.

Most inspired move of his career? For trades that will be the Lynch trade until someone else proves otherwise. His inspired draft moves are too many to count, but Russell Wilson will always be the most inspired and best move of his career.

Frank Clark is looking very, very good from the draft a few years ago.

I like the Sheldon Richardson trade as well. I think it will pay dividends as he learns our defense and learns to gel with our guys.

This LT move looks great on paper. I'm always reticent about holdout guys. They usually don't come in ready to play and sometimes get injured due to the lack of conditioning, unless your name is Walter Jones of course.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:21 am

When you take this ram on a date, where are you going and what are you going to do to it??

Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:27 am

Seahawks4Ever wrote:When nobody and I mean NOBODY thought that it was possible to acquire a decent LT J.S. goes and pulls off one of his best and most inspired player move of his career. Talk about a second wind! I had really thought that maybe John had lost his "mojo" but he proved today that he is still one of the best G.M.'s in professional sports not only the N.F.L. To this day, I still don't understand how he never was honored with NFL Executive of the year his first few seasons. If we make it back to the Super Bowl then I don't see how they could justify giving it again to someone else. Actually, it would a shame if that's what it took because his maneuvering of the salary cap should be required reading for anybody who wants to make sports management a career.

"Nobody" thought it was possible to acquire a decent LT? There have been rumors about both Brown and Buffalo LT Cordy Glenn for weeks, and we just brought in FA Brandon Albert for a look-see. Add to that the rumors about us making a run at Joe Thomas and there's been a lot of possible upgrades available, it's just that we haven't had the will to go out and find one.

I like this trade as much as anyone else, but let's wait and see how this one turns out before we break out the anointing oil. Don't forget, JS, like every other NFL GM, has had a few boners over his career.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:43 am

JS trades for Sheldon Richardson AND Duane Brown in a matter of weeks. The man is awesome !!!!!!!
Largent80
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:58 am

HumanCockroach wrote:No Bob doesn't make you a has been, but it certainly doesn't make you the best either. If you need an example, use Chancellor pre and post holdout performance.

He MIGHT be, then again he MIGHT not be.

Nothing to based the top 5 on right now, zero. He was considered a top five tackle ( though even that was as couple seasons ago). Doesn't mean he is right now. It really isn't that complicated of a process, if he performs at his all pro 2012 or 2014 pro bowl level, he IS, if not he WAS.

I got another example for you; Walter Jones (and no, I'm not saying DB + WJ so save that) pre and post holdout. Was he having to start over being no longer considered a Probowler after his holdout?

A rookie coming off a holdout has nothing on which to base a claim, to say that of guy that's already earned his chops is ridiculous. He'd have to show me that he's not the player he was pre-holdout, until he does, he's got my benefit of the doubt.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:01 am

To answer one of the questions above. The Texans have used a zone blocking scheme for the entirety of Duane Brown's career. I suspect that's why they have been focused on him rather than Joe Thomas.

To respond to another comment. Why even focus on "was" vs. "is". Forget the pro-bowls. Last year Brown was one of only 2 Tackles in the league to give up only 1 sack or less (350 snaps minimum). Now he holds out for 6 games and you want to play devils advocate like he may be washed? There is no logical basis for this argument. And the curious thing is this comes from one of Cable's biggest champions, a guy who said we were all imagining how bad the line has been for the past 3 years and singing the praises of guys like JR Sweezy and Mark Glowinski. But Duane Brown's pedigree isn't good enough? Even if he's just a very good, not quite pro-bowl LT he's a massive upgrade at the position. And if he's not productive then it calls into question Tom Cable's ability as a coach.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:26 am

So does Odhiambo go to LG? He was the main backup there earlier and seemed to me better than either Glowinski or Pocic at least until Joeckel comes back.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:20 am

Largent80 wrote:JS trades for Sheldon Richardson AND Duane Brown in a matter of weeks. The man is awesome !!!!!!!

Right you cannot argue with the commitment now. Richardson, Brown, and Joeckel it shows they realize the great experiment failed. Remember, IF it had worked it would have changed the game.
Like Cowherd said, the only winner in this trade is Seattle. The loser was Deshawn Watson. 2nd round draft picks? They are no sure thing, moreover, they have shown they dont know how to draft OLineman.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:12 pm

I'm keeping a tamper on my enthusiasm as far as Duane Brown goes because of all the bad luck and general poor play we've had on the O-line. Inside I'm extremely excited and happy, but the part that has watched Okung get hurt after rarely getting injured in college, the multiple high draft picks that are just ok, and the general lameness of our O-line has trouble believing we've finally found the answer at LT for at least 2 or 3 years.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:22 pm

obiken wrote:
Right you cannot argue with the commitment now. Richardson, Brown, and Joeckel it shows they realize the great experiment failed. Remember, IF it had worked it would have changed the game.
Like Cowherd said, the only winner in this trade is Seattle. The loser was Deshawn Watson. 2nd round draft picks? They are no sure thing, moreover, they have shown they dont know how to draft OLineman.

Don't forget Tobin and Oday. You definitely can't say JS isn't trying. He's made a lot of moves on the oline and it might be the right combination now. Also, Joke-L should be getting back to the roster around the middle-end of Dec which will give us a different look also.

Hang on to your hats boys, its about to get exciting...
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:44 pm

I agree they are trying, I just hope they dont go back to the old run until you have to pass. Stay with the pass to set up the run.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:30 pm

Lane failed his physical. Seattle had to up the ante from next year's 5th to next year's 3rd and they have to make cap room fo Lane. Not the worst thing, but would have been nice to be done.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:57 pm

Seahawks cant trade their way out of a wet paper sack
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:30 pm

so we give up a 2nd and 3rd and get an all pro LT and a 5th. Seems like a good deal.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:46 pm

Anthony wrote:so we give up a 2nd and 3rd and get an all pro LT and a 5th. Seems like a good deal.

If Brown produces. It's going to be damn expensive now that our check bounced with Lane not passing his physical. A #2 and #3 for a 32 year old lineman is huge.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:11 pm

and with Lane coming back, who are they going to cut as they're out of cap space, and now with his Lane's salary and what do we do with him? If we cut Lane, we're on the hook for his salary off the cap.

Kind of a screw job at that end, but that big wide Brown should be worth a 2 and 3.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum