Russell Wilson redid deal to complete Duane Brown trade

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Russell Wilson redid deal to complete Duane Brown trade

Postby Anthony » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:40 am

Anthony
Legacy

Re: Russell Wilson redid deal to complete Duane Brown trade

Postby burrrton » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:11 am

Stud.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:08 pm

Russell committed to another Super Bowl and tired of getting hit.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:57 pm

they better do it this year, as the "cap hell" will come into play and we'll start to lose players.

Restructuring Russell just pushes his cap to the next 3 years at 2m more per year, now up to 22m?

I also understand that many of current D - contracts like Richard and Kam also take big jumps next year.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:28 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:they better do it this year, as the "cap hell" will come into play and we'll start to lose players.

Restructuring Russell just pushes his cap to the next 3 years at 2m more per year, now up to 22m?

I also understand that many of current D - contracts like Richard and Kam also take big jumps next year.

we should be fine in cap next year there is dead cap space we get back, the cap will go up, and we can always redo more contracts
Anthony
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:28 pm

Great props to RW for redoing his deal to make the move possible. I bet Duane Brown will be extra interested in taking care of the man who made it possible.

Regarding an increase in cap next year, not a guarantee with the numbers where they are now in attendance and interest and logo's merchandise sales.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:17 pm

Right on with the idea on the cap. The cap goes up only if the overall NFL income goes up, and that's not a guarantee on that this year, for sure-- JS bet the ranch for 1, maybe 2 years more.

No matter what, getting Richardson and Brown were huge for the team and well worth any downside. Overall, the NFC is weaker than normal, except for 1 team -- and we play them in a few weeks on a Sunday night, Beat the Eagles and we are in the driver's seat for HFA.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:32 pm

If Graham doesn't come back, that's 10 million, and if Avril is also not returning, it could be millions more depending on how they handle it.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:59 pm

I always knew that Russell would redo his contract in order to keep talent from having to leave, that's exactly what Champions do, and Wilson IS a Champion!

I wonder what our resident "capologist" IG has to say on this subject. Man how we depended on his Cap #'s back in the day at the P-I Seahawk forum. Ah, those were the days. I can never thank Yoder enough for starting the Hawkshack and keeping most of us together, even though we have lost several over the years for various reasons.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:02 am

Russell isn't the first NFL QB to restructure their deal in order to allow the team to acquire talent. Brady has done it, both Mannings have done it, Stafford, Worthlessburger, just to name a few. It's very common, so although commendable, let's not get carried away with Russell's altruism. It's no more than two business partners working together to achieve a common goal, kinda like a manufacturer giving a supplier a price break so they can expand their facility and provide better service.

The more I read about this deal, the more I like it. But we'll feel it's hurt in the next couple of drafts.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:34 am

It's a win-win.
Wilson gets $4 million in his wallet today and the team gets enough Cap room to keep most of the players.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:55 pm

I read RW gets 6 million now. Perhaps I am wrong?

And I agree with this - it was what I came here to add.
If Graham doesn't come back, that's 10 million, and if Avril is also not returning, it could be millions more depending on how they handle it
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:22 pm

I don't know how much Wilson actually gets, but I heard they cleared $4 Million in Cap Room by doing so and thereby assumed the number.
It's a lot of money for most of us either way.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:13 pm

someone posted in another thread that we released Battle today to make room to take back Lane. I think Battle will probably make it through waivers and be signed back on the practice squad. We've now upgraded the depth of our Oline with Rees being able to fill in somewhere if needed and he gets to learn from a very savvy high performing vet in front of him.

I know many don't think Rees did a good job but he did start at LT for 7 games for a winning team in which the QB has had much more time than in past years. Rees can and will improve, I'm confident in this and will be able to contribute on this team again soon.

So now we have the DB depth, more Oline depth and we've upgraded the existing Oline. There's a lot to like in this.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:19 am

All that and don't forget what the DLine is reforming with stud Richardson, future HOF'er for 20 plays a game Mr. Freeney and Clark really coming of age. Reed, too, holding down the middle. This isn't what we had started the year with, it's way better.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:51 am

There's some teams that seem to be at the top all the time and now it is a good thing to see JS pivot from "building from scratch" to building a perenial winner. Very refreshing.
idhawkman
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum