Wanna talk clutch?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Wanna talk clutch?

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:15 pm

c_hawkbob
Legacy

Re: Wanna talk clutch?

Postby idhawkman » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:25 pm

Hey Bob, great graphic. Is that for this year or what is the time frame or context behind those ratings?
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:53 pm

idhawkman wrote:Hey Bob, great graphic. Is that for this year or what is the time frame or context behind those ratings?

This season. It's a tweet from ESPN (who yes, I still follow on twitter)
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:32 pm

It pretty much as to be limited to this year if it includes Watson.

Nice graphic, but it's a pretty small sample size. If he has the same numbers over the course of the entire season and into the playoffs, then we might have something.

Boy, don't show this to Anthony. We'll never hear the end of it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:36 pm

Love our guy! He’s been clutch his whole career so while this graphic is just 7 games old, RW has a LOT of game winning drives. This article was from last season, but it demonstrates that overall, the overall sample size is just fine.

http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahaw ... ur-seasons
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:41 pm

RiverDog wrote:It pretty much as to be limited to this year if it includes Watson.

Nice graphic, but it's a pretty small sample size. If he has the same numbers over the course of the entire season and into the playoffs, then we might have something.

Boy, don't show this to Anthony. We'll never hear the end of it.

1 Already seen it, Knew you would make lite of it and you did. NIce to know you don't change and now back on foe you go, I don't have time for people who just want to be miserable and make lite of anything good
Anthony
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:57 am

1 Already seen it, Knew you would make lite of it and you did. NIce to know you don't change and now back on foe you go, I don't have time for people who just want to be miserable and make lite of anything good

LOL. Jeezus you're a weirdo. Bye.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:06 am

burrrton wrote:

You forgot "Felecia" at the end of that... :lol:
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:30 am

burrrton wrote:

Yeah I am weird pot kettle much.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:31 am

idhawkman wrote:You forgot "Felecia" at the end of that... :lol:

Hmm a joke and your the only one laughing, away you go as well
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:26 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Russell's 4th quarter QBR has been high his entire career.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:43 am

You are right. His 4th Quarter rating is higher than any other quarter. Career rating in the 4th is 130.3 versus 82.9 in the first. This link is interesting and shows his situational stat line for the first 5.5 years of his career. Just more evidence that the graphic Bob dropped on us is pretty consistent with how he has performed since his arrival in 2012. We are fortunate to have him.

http://www.nfl.com/player/russellwilson ... ionalstats
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:30 pm

I haven't been on here in a looonnngg time...just wanted to chime in that when you really, really need a score in the last minutes, let alone 4th quarter, especially of the miraculous variety, our guy russ has proven his ability over and over again in his relatively young career. I'll take him over any other.
I-5
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:43 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:You are right. His 4th Quarter rating is higher than any other quarter. Career rating in the 4th is 130.3 versus 82.9 in the first. This link is interesting and shows his situational stat line for the first 5.5 years of his career. Just more evidence that the graphic Bob dropped on us is pretty consistent with how he has performed since his arrival in 2012. We are fortunate to have him.

http://www.nfl.com/player/russellwilson ... ionalstats

Good find!1 One thing I noticed I thought was interesting is Qb rating the last 2minutes of halfs 149.6 Wholly crap that is high
Anthony
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:48 pm

What's also obvious is how consistently bad the stats are in the first quarter.
It coincides with the scripted plays that usually take most of the first 15 minutes to get through.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:57 pm

Another interesting stats line

Russell Wilson under pressure
Year Pressure freq. (%) Pressure rank DVOA under pressure (rank) DVOA not under pressure (rank)
2013 36.6 2 4 6
2014 39.1 1 5 3
2015 31.7 4 4 1
2016 34.9 3 14 13
2012-2016 (combined) 33.9 1 2 1

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/11/1/16580124/nfl-seahawks-russell-wilson-is-the-seahawks
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:58 pm

NorthHawk wrote:What's also obvious is how consistently bad the stats are in the first quarter.
It coincides with the scripted plays that usually take most of the first 15 minutes to get through.

good catch!!
Anthony
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:14 pm

What's also obvious is how consistently bad the stats are in the first quarter.

Pretty consistent with what I kind of intuitively thought was true.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:36 pm

A couple more super bowls and the world of football would be talking about Russell Wilson not Tom Brady.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:27 am

NorthHawk wrote:What's also obvious is how consistently bad the stats are in the first quarter.

I had the same thought, North. Throws 1 - 10 his rating is in the 60s which is the lowest of any category shown.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:21 pm

You shouldn't have started this thread, CBob. You put the whammy on him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:20 pm

RiverDog wrote:You shouldn't have started this thread, CBob. You put the whammy on him.

how do you figure he gave us the lead with less than 2 minutes to go. Should have had another one, however, we should not have needed it cough cough Walsh. That said we should not have been in that situation if we had played better on offense Rw included. That said the coaching staff really blew it, No adapting, horrible game plan, Oline penalties which at this point is on coaching to me, All that said we had a chance with 2 minutes to go and the lead
Anthony
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:00 pm

I reckon if he played mediocre for the first 54 minutes of the game, giving us the lead, wouldn't have been necessary.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:24 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:I reckon if he played mediocre for the first 54 minutes of the game, giving us the lead, wouldn't have been necessary.

Yuppers.

Russell had an off game. As Anthony was so quick to point out, Russell did put together a masterful 4th quarter TD drive similar to the one he organized the week before, but then followed it up by shooting himself in the foot and screwing us out of a FG attempt that could have put the game into OT. I didn't mind him not spiking the ball and trying to catch the defense off guard, but when his first look wasn't there, he should have unloaded it instead of trying to pull off one of his Houdini acts.

And if our stats monkey Anthony is listening, Russell's stat line included a 43.6 QBR, a sub 60% completion rating, sub 300 yards passing, with 2 picks, both on him, and that's not counting the "zero responsibility" SB 49 look alike pick on the 2 pt. conversion attempt. It's pretty hard to paint a smiley face on those numbers.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:22 am

Anthony wrote:
how do you figure he gave us the lead with less than 2 minutes to go. Should have had another one, however, we should not have needed it cough cough Walsh. That said we should not have been in that situation if we had played better on offense Rw included. That said the coaching staff really blew it, No adapting, horrible game plan, Oline penalties which at this point is on coaching to me, All that said we had a chance with 2 minutes to go and the lead

Kudos to you Anthony for not putting this all on one person or one segment of the team. Offense, defense, Special teams, coaching all of them laid a proverbial egg on this game. This is what is so frustrating to me. They have all the potential in the world but they squander it way too often. Reminds me of a few employees I've had in the past.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:25 pm

The problem with relying on your clutch QB to pull your arse out of the fire every game is that every so often he gets sacked on the wrong down and your arse fries.

Anthony's right; he was clutch once in the final moments of the game, he shouldn't have had to be twice ... but sometimes the other guy is clutch too.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:34 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:The problem with relying on your clutch QB to pull your arse out of the fire every game is that every so often he gets sacked on the wrong down and your arse fries.

Anthony's right; he was clutch once in the final moments of the game, he shouldn't have had to be twice ... but sometimes the other guy is clutch too.

The reason we needed the 4th quarter heroics in the first place is that all that Russell and the offense could manage was 12 stinking points, and that's not going to cut it in 90% of NFL contests. If there was a "shouldn't have to had" in this game, it's that we shouldn't have to had required a 4th quarter comeback to win this game.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:58 pm

RiverDog wrote:
The reason we needed the 4th quarter heroics in the first place is that all that Russell and the offense could manage was 12 stinking points, and that's not going to cut it in 90% of NFL contests. If there was a "shouldn't have to had" in this game, it's that we shouldn't have to had required a 4th quarter comeback to win this game.

your right we should have made 3 very makeable FGs and then none of this matters. What everyone forgets is this is PCs style, he wants a close game get a lead in the 4th and let the defense win it, He only lets the dogs loose on offense when he has little choice. Not to mention the freakin offensive penalties that killed drive after drive.

Plenty of blame all around as I said
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:07 pm

RiverDog wrote:
Yuppers.

Russell had an off game. As Anthony was so quick to point out, Russell did put together a masterful 4th quarter TD drive similar to the one he organized the week before, but then followed it up by shooting himself in the foot and screwing us out of a FG attempt that could have put the game into OT. I didn't mind him not spiking the ball and trying to catch the defense off guard, but when his first look wasn't there, he should have unloaded it instead of trying to pull off one of his Houdini acts.

And if our stats monkey Anthony is listening, Russell's stat line included a 43.6 QBR, a sub 60% completion rating, sub 300 yards passing, with 2 picks, both on him, and that's not counting the "zero responsibility" SB 49 look alike pick on the 2 pt. conversion attempt. It's pretty hard to paint a smiley face on those numbers.

Well I agree he did not have 300 yards he had 297 and another 77 in rushing so he made up 374 of our offensive yards or 86%. The rest yeah we already established he had a bad game, guess what all the elite qbs do. And for more since oyu seem to like the stats that show Rw badly here are some more.

He is also top 5 in both yards and Tds in the NFL and having played 1 game less than those in front of him, to p10 in YPA, top 2 in yards per game, top 11 in Qb rating, So yeah some of his game stats were bad this game all Elite Qbs have bad games, but his over stats are really good, especially when you add no run game, bad oline, bad play calling etc.

All that said and as I have said many times Rw did not have a great game, but he did enough to win if our kicker does his job or the defense holds at the end or the oline does not have all those drive killing penalties or if Rw hit a couple of those long bombs, or if we ran the same offense we had been running during our 4-0 stint instead of coming out with the old bomb or bust offense.

also FYI they were not going to let Walsh try a 4th kick
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:09 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:The problem with relying on your clutch QB to pull your arse out of the fire every game is that every so often he gets sacked on the wrong down and your arse fries.

agreed Michael Jordan once said, "for every game-winning shot he made he missed 2, it is about having the fortitude to keep taking it that makes you a champion."
Anthony
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:03 am

Russell got a lot of yards in the last 2 minutes of the game. It would be interesting to see a stat that shows how many yards a QB leaves on the field though.

Its not all on RW either. WRs were not getting open, yes RW does not look for the shorter dink and dunks and he does under and overthrow the deeper passes more than I like but there was a lot go wrong in the game on all 4 aspects of the game. Offense, defense, Special Teams and coaching.

The leaders on this team need to have a meeting and figure out how to not be embarrassed in front of the home crowd again.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:31 pm

idhawkman wrote:Russell got a lot of yards in the last 2 minutes of the game. It would be interesting to see a stat that shows how many yards a QB leaves on the field though.

Yes, end of game stats can be deceiving. The Skins knew that if they defended the end zone vs. the 30 or 35 yard line that the worst that could happen would be that the game would go into OT. It's called a prevent defense, and it's a lot easier to ring up the yards against it and quite frequently ends up biting the defending team in the arse. Lots of NFL games are affected by this phenomena.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum