Pressure on Manning

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Pressure on Manning

Postby EntiatHawk » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:52 pm

I think the single biggest key to the game is how much pressure we can generate on Manning. If we can get to him with 4 man and some timely blitzes I think we will do very well in this game. Messing his timing up will be crucial. I really like our chances as the boys will be amped to go get him.
EntiatHawk
Legacy

Re: Pressure on Manning

Postby Hawkstar » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:58 pm

Making life miserable for his receivers getting off the line is as crucial. If we can jam em' up at the line and disrupt their timing, our four man rush will get to Manning and the make for a great day. Manning is a master against the blitz, I actually think he prefers getting blitzed.

Also, if we can take away that shytty little 4-5 yard pass and force Manning to throw it down the field, I love our guys coming away with some solid hits on Manning and a few picks.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby EntiatHawk » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:07 pm

I agree it take everyone working together. He will eat blitzes if he thinks they are coming but if you can time time/disguise them right they can work.

Also tackling will be critical, hit them right after the catch and make them pay for the dink and dink.
EntiatHawk
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:10 pm

I think what the Hawks need to do is just straight up hammer the WR's that like to run pick plays on the DB's. Bring the safety's up and put those WR's trying to run a pick play on their back within the five yard no contact zone! Welker is a must in terms of putting on his back!
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:18 pm

Distant Relative wrote:I think what the Hawks need to do is just straight up hammer the WR's that like to run pick plays on the DB's. Bring the safety's up and put those WR's trying to run a pick play on their back within the five yard no contact zone! Welker is a must in terms of putting on his back!

Remember when Welker met Mr Browner?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk7BL3V5KhA We need a ton more of that. I would like to see Welker try to "rub" off Kam on his "legal" little pick play. Might be his last play in the NFL...
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:25 pm

Hawkstar wrote:
Distant Relative wrote:I think what the Hawks need to do is just straight up hammer the WR's that like to run pick plays on the DB's. Bring the safety's up and put those WR's trying to run a pick play on their back within the five yard no contact zone! Welker is a must in terms of putting on his back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk7BL3V5KhA We need a ton more of that. I would like to see Welker try to "rub" off Kam on his "legal" little pick play. Might be his last play in the NFL...

Holy sht. I had forgotten about that one.

You know what stands out about Kam now (and probably other big hitters in the NFL, but I don't watch them), is how disciplined he is about making his hit legal- gets his hat out of the way, uses his shoulder, etc.

The fckstick for the Saints should get a Kam highlights tape and study it.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:53 pm

burrrton wrote:
Hawkstar wrote:

Holy sht. I had forgotten about that one.

You know what stands out about Kam now (and probably other big hitters in the NFL, but I don't watch them), is how disciplined he is about making his hit legal- gets his hat out of the way, uses his shoulder, etc.

The fckstick for the Saints should get a Kam highlights tape and study it.

That right there is why the Hawks win this super bowl baby! BOOOOOOOOM!!! Bring the pain boys!, this finesse team won't know what hit them!
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:46 am

EntiatHawk wrote:I think the single biggest key to the game is how much pressure we can generate on Manning. If we can get to him with 4 man and some timely blitzes I think we will do very well in this game. Messing his timing up will be crucial. I really like our chances as the boys will be amped to go get him.

It's definitely one of the big keys for us, especially if we can get pressure rushing just 4, but I don't know if I'd go so far as saying it is the single biggest. Our ability to consistently run the ball like we did against the Saints and Niners is going to be a big key, too. Lynch goes over 100 and our odds of winning go up exponentially.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:05 am

Y'all are nailing it; we're one of, if not, the best in the league at getting pressure with just 4 down linemen. That's 7 guys left to keep it in front and make them pay for every yard gained. River is absolutely right, too. Get Beastmode untracked and we'll keep Manning off the field and demoralize the defense. San Diego managed to beat Denver with solid running and good defense, and I have no doubt we can do better than San Diego.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:49 am

Seahawks have been a little too reluctant to dial up blitzes in my opinion during the second half of the year.

For the few times they have the blitzes were very successful.

I don't understand the reluctance - we have the best man coverage team in the NFL. They can keep everyone covered for the first 3 seconds.

The key to stopping Manning is obvious - pressure - - If Manning has time to be comfortable in the pocket then forget it - game to Bronco's.

Yes start our with four man pass rush - but if the four man rush is not able to put pressure on Manning and he is able to go through his reads then the Hawks had better start sending a fifth rusher immediately - and not wait until Manning has marched the team down the field a couple times they are down 14 points - like they have in the past.

Ideally the blitzes that should work best will be to send Wagner & Irvin up the Middle to help collapse the pocket and force Manning to the edges which will be known as the kill zone for him.

The Key to winning this game is simple - get pressure on Manning - we do and its game over. However if we play coverage defense and Manning has time to set up and go through reads then he will beat any team in the NFL.

I hope in the Superbowl the Seahawks will not be reluctant to dial up the blitz or wait until they are down two scores before they send pressure.

If the team were to compile a tape of each time they sent a fifth man this year they would see a pattern of overwhelming success - including several interceptions - and very few times when the offense beat the hawks on blitz plays.

Our back six can stay with any group of receivers in Man coverage - with Earl being able to play safety net - so I hope the game plan will include a heavy dose of rushing a fifth man if our four man rush is proving inconsistent with getting pressure on Manning - and that the Hawks will start utilizing the blitz immediately if the 4 man rush is unsuccessful in collapsing the pocket.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:16 am

Hawkstar wrote:

I haven't seen that in a long time. I couldn't stop laughing.
I'm sorry but, the Broncos just have no IDEA what it is that they'll be facing from a physical standpoint.
Don't get me wrong, they can hit, they're "tough" I guess, they've played "tough teams (man I almost could quite type those words, my fingers didn't want to tell what they obviously consider a huge lie), but they haven't seen ANYTHING like what they're about to see from a physical standpoint.
Which again, is why I keep saying the REAL Superbowl was just played between Seattle and San Fran. San Fran would have beaten the Broncos, without a doubt.
That team was playing GREAT football at the end of the year, absolutely great. They were absolutely determined to get back to and win the Superbowl, I don't think the Broncos would have had a chance against them.
So what does that make the Seahawks, the only team in the NFL who were tough enough to handle the bad ass Niners?

THE BEST TEAM IN FOOTBALL as I have been saying all year long.

BTW, as I see it, the biggest key to us winning, is for our team to just keep doing what we do. Don't get overwhelmed by the moment, don't fall back into old bad habits of trying too hard to make plays, and doing other people's jobs (remember when we used to have a bunch of undisciplined guys who were trying to do everyone else's job? Wasn't that long ago really).
Yes it will be important for the front four to get pressure on Manning. Equally as important for our secondary to disrupt the timing of the Bronco's receivers. Also Lynch! Lynch Lynch Lynch. BIG KEY!!!
monkey
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:32 am

Can't argue with that, monkey. We are definitely scary right now, and, like others have said, I'm glad it came down to us vs. Niners. We took the division from them, then the conference. As much as the media touted the Niners head of steam, this Seahawks team hit that head on and is now carrying their own momentum into the biggest game of the season. These guys have fire in their bellies and I just don't think the Broncos can match the intensity. They'll be motivated, no doubt, but the Seahawks just appear to be hungrier.

It is funny you mentioned that the NFCC was the "Superbowl"; my project manager, who's a die-hard Steelers fan, felt the exact same way, and I've heard other neutral parties echo his sentiment. It truly was the pairing of the two best teams. The way he sees it, if Manning and Co. get ahead by 14 or 21 at the end of the first half, we lose, but, if it is neck and neck by that time, then he thinks we'll outlast and do our usual taking over of the second half. I have to agree with him here.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:10 pm

Don't get me wrong, they can hit, they're "tough" I guess, they've played "tough teams (man I almost could quite type those words, my fingers didn't want to tell what they obviously consider a huge lie), but they haven't seen ANYTHING like what they're about to see from a physical standpoint.

Yeah, it usually boils down to matchups, but I just read somewhere that they only faced 4 defenses in the top half of the league *all year*, the best being HOU at #7.

Nobody should doubt the potency of their offense, but they're going to be seeing an *entirely* different animal a week from tomorrow. Will they be able to create and/or exploit favorable matchups? I don't know, but I like our chances.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:24 pm

burrrton wrote:

Yeah, it usually boils down to matchups, but I just read somewhere that they only faced 4 defenses in the top half of the league *all year*, the best being HOU at #7.

Nobody should doubt the potency of their offense, but they're going to be seeing an *entirely* different animal a week from tomorrow. Will they be able to create and/or exploit favorable matchups? I don't know, but I like our chances.

Exactly Burrrton!
Some Broncos fan on another site and I got into discussing this topic, and of course, I told him I didn't think it would come down to the #1 vs. #1 so much as whether or not the Broncos could stop Marshawn.
His answer was that, "hey we just stopped San Diego and new England, so no problem!"
I nearly pissed myself laughing!
San Diego and New England don't even compare...that's a joke! Denver just hasn't faced anything like what they are going to see from a physical standpoint...they just haven't.
They've played a very easy schedule (same schedule we criticised Kansas City for playing, and we all said that there early season record was illusory, and we were right!), and have faced mostly finesse, passing teams, including during their run to the Bowl.
I'm not saying the Patriots are a bad team, but they were a shell of their former glory, and San Diego?!? Seriously, they were just happy to have gotten into the playoffs.

Remember too, the way that Denver has lost this season, has been to teams that controlled the clock by running the ball, and made Manning uncomfortable with pressure.
We do both those things better than ANY team they've faced this year!
monkey
Legacy

Postby EntiatHawk » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:27 pm

I just can not understand where the Broncos fans think that the RB's they faced are in the same mold as The Beast and so it equates. They shut down a poorer SD, NE and even Philly rushing attack. Those teams predicate on spreading and running where as we will run with even 8 in the box. Our run game is all about setting the tone and then lowering the hammer. Big plays start to come after we use our tenderizer on them.

The Broncos are hoping for a high flying affair but if this game turns into a pounding match they are in trouble. We have not lost more than 7 points in two years why would that start now?
EntiatHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:05 am

burrrton wrote:

I hadn't seen that. Very interesting. Your observation caused me to take a glance at the overall team defense in the league. New England's is ranked 26th, and at times gave the Broncos fits. Indy was the 20th best, division rivals San Diego and Kansas City were 23rd and 24th respectively. Compare those defenses with the ones our offense has had to face in the last 2 months: #4 New Orleans twice, #5 San Francisco twice, #6 Arizona and #8 Giants once each. Hell, no wonder our offense has been lethargic.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:10 am

Just keep Manning second guessing Manning. Make him step outside of his comfort zone a bit.
He changes plays at the LOS more than any qb in the league. It's his offense.
Beat him at his own game.
Show him looks that make him panic.
Disguise our defense a bit.
And put the pressure on him so that he can't finish his reads.
Manning at the line, calling plays that do not work.
He switches the play and loses yards.
He switches again and gets run down on the bootleg.
He switches again and gets bum rushed up the middle.
He does not switch and get sacked.
He is confused, cause he expects our d to do something but we bring a different scheme and he gets happy feet and is tackled for a loss.
He expects pressure, goes through half his reads, rushes himself a bit and throws an interception.

Manning loses to......Manning. Game over. "Thank you for coming to the last Super Bowl in New York for another 20-40 years". Have a nice day! :x

Sorta like the Matrix part 3.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:20 am

RiverDog wrote: Hell, no wonder our offense has been lethargic.

EXACTLY!!! That and the fact that I think that Wilson has been more careful with the ball than he ever has in his professional career to this point.
He's not making throws he normally would make because he is not taking ANY chances.
I do think, however, that with the addition of Harvin, and with the fact that no longer is it, win to keep playing, but now it's WIN and you're the champion, I think he'll loosen up and play more like we're used to seeing him.

In fact, I predict that the Broncos will sell out to stop Lynch (they have to or they've already lost the game badly!!!) and in the process will leave several huge plays open for Wilson, resulting in Wilson passing for MORE YARDS AND TOUCHDOWNS than Peyton Manning! With HArvin playing, the Broncos will just have too much to worry about, (stopping Lynch, stopping Harvin) and it will be mostly Doug Baldwin who is the recipient of Wilson's big game, going for over 100 yards and at least one touchdown.

That is my prediction.

Russell Wilson, Superbowl MVP, and the talk of the entire nation.
We all KNOW he's capable, he's done it before time and time again.
monkey
Legacy

Postby EntiatHawk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:59 pm

monkey wrote:EXACTLY!!! That and the fact that I think that Wilson has been more careful with the ball than he ever has in his professional career to this point.
He's not making throws he normally would make because he is not taking ANY chances.
I do think, however, that with the addition of Harvin, and with the fact that no longer is it, win to keep playing, but now it's WIN and you're the champion, I think he'll loosen up and play more like we're used to seeing him.

In fact, I predict that the Broncos will sell out to stop Lynch (they have to or they've already lost the game badly!!!) and in the process will leave several huge plays open for Wilson, resulting in Wilson passing for MORE YARDS AND TOUCHDOWNS than Peyton Manning! With HArvin playing, the Broncos will just have too much to worry about, (stopping Lynch, stopping Harvin) and it will be mostly Doug Baldwin who is the recipient of Wilson's big game, going for over 100 yards and at least one touchdown.

That is my prediction.

I can see this happening also. There are insiders out there that think the Hawks may roll in this one.
EntiatHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:48 am

monkey wrote:
RiverDog wrote: Hell, no wonder our offense has been lethargic.

EXACTLY!!! That and the fact that I think that Wilson has been more careful with the ball than he ever has in his professional career to this point.

That is my prediction.

I agree, and that has worked well for us the past 6-7 weeks. When you're playing with a lead and your defense is shutting down the opponent, you don't want to do something stupid that's going to lose the game for you. I don't object to Russell/Bevell's being conservative.

The only problem I have with it is that it might not be so easy just to kick it into high gear and dial up more dynamic passing plays when you're used to playing conservative. That's one of the reasons I feel that if we win, it's going to be much like the way most of our games have gone the past couple of months, ie total points around 40 and no more than a two score differential. If the total points exceeds 50, my guess is that it will be the Broncos that come out on top.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:33 am

Certainly, I am looking at this as objectively as possible. I feel that this team is as loosey goosey as I have seen a team on the Big Stage. Nothing phases them. Its almost as if they are brain washed. I remember a reporter asking Sherman if they are going to go out to check out the night life. Sherman's response, outside of the mandatory shaking of the hands and interviews, he will be doing nothing else than preparing for the game.

Add that to RW on the airplane ride over to New York said that he spent 3 hours just looking at film.

These guys are at a whole different level than I have seen other teams in terms of mental fortitude and preparation.

This may not be as close as people think.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Long Time Fan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:12 am

Lots of consensus that pressure on Manning and press coverage on receivers will be key to a Seahawks win. The combination of tendency to forgo blitz packages and Mannings proficiency against the blitz makes it unlikely that we rush more than four (SF was only blitzed 3 times in NFCC). Knowing this, I think Denver's game plan will be slants and other short routes to get the ball out quickly. I expect Denver to play a "ball control" passing offense. Will the hawks adjust by blitzing? Jamming at the LOS? Jumping routes? Denver's wrs have to be punished for going over the middle. How tightly the game is called will play into the outcome.

The defense will give up points and Time of possession will be tough to win. The length and number of timeouts and halftime as well as our rotation of the Dline will prevent fatigue. Make no mistake the Seahawk offense will have to score consistently for our team to win. The offense will win or lose this game.

Why not us.
Long Time Fan
Legacy

Postby EntiatHawk » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:51 pm

Timely leg cramps can always help with a little hurry up ;)
EntiatHawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:57 pm

EntiatHawk wrote:Timely leg cramps can always help with a little hurry up ;)

Joe Nash approves this message
monkey
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:39 pm

The defensive philosophy of the Broncos will be to stop Marshawn and make Russell beat them with his arm. I believe that Wilson will do just that, he is going to move the ball on the Broncos with his arm. The Bronco defense will be forced to double team Percy Harvin and that will leave Tate, Baldwin, Kearse, Miller, and Wilson in one on one situations, something they have rarely seen most of this season. The play action pass will also freeze Bronco defenders giving our receivers a step on Denver secondary giving them the separation to get open on a consistent basis. We all know though that no matte how much the Denver defense sells out to stop Beast mode he is still going to effective and he will get his yards.

One way to put pressure on Manning will be to keep him on the sideline while we run long TD scoring drives. Score early and force Manning to take more chances, holding the ball longer to make longer throws thus giving our D-Line a few more seconds to put more pressure on him. I already firmly believe that the LOB will clamp down on Denver's receivers allowing us a more effective pass rush, getting Manning off of his "spot" and getting him out of his comfort zone.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:00 am

IMO, the most effective way of putting pressure on Manning is by keeping him on the sideline.

For as much is being made of the #1 offense vs the #1 defense, I think the key for Seattle is how well Beast runs. It just keeps going back to that for me.

Move the chains, burn the clock, give Peyton fewer possessions to work with.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:13 am

No one has been able to successfully get pressure on Peyton. If we build a decent lead then that forces Peyton to become one dimensional. This means that we can either blitz. Or put everyone in max coverage and rush 3. Or play man to man.
There are many ways to skin a cat with Peyton. He can't slice and dice our defense if they are all covered. He then has to make tight throws into small windows. That favors us.

Still, getting pressure on Manning is the goal, its just that no one has been able to do it this year consistently, all game.
That being said, I think you can hurry Manning.
Now hurrying him is very possible, with our 4 man rushes. Very possible. You can bet Quinn has some packages to throw at Manning that he's never seen before.

Defense will have to ignore everything they hear from Manning so he doesn't trick them with the hard count and give himself free plays down the field.

He is the smartest qb in the game. The Seahawks D will have to play at a very high level to win this one.
And yes, keeping him on the sidelines, is part of the equation.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Long Time Fan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:32 pm

Eaglehawk wrote:
Now hurrying him is very possible, with our 4 man rushes. Very possible. You can bet Quinn has some packages to throw at Manning that he's never seen before.

Defense will have to ignore everything they hear from Manning so he doesn't trick them with the hard count and give himself free plays down the field.

He is the smartest qb in the game. The Seahawks D will have to play at a very high level to win this one.

Disagree and agree.

Quinn has nothing new for Manning to see. Manning has seen it all and has ideas about beating every scheme. I like our "nothing new, base defense" approach. Let's do what we do best and see if Manning can beat it; Consistently. Because Manning fears pressure he will run short routes allowing for quick reads and releases. This will necessitate short yardage multi-sets of downs drives. We don't need every drive to be three and out, but we do need to limit 3rd down conversions.

I do agree that our defense will have to play at a high level and be opportunistic (turnovers and third down stops).

Like the phrase that has become a parody of itself; We can't stop him, we can only hope to contain him.
Long Time Fan
Legacy

Postby XpertDBA » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:13 pm

I hope our press coverage really steps it up and plays a TIGHT defense in the first 5 yards......and destroy Welker and Decker trying to come across the middle on those long crossing routes....

The front 4 need to be a pack of angry dogs and make Peyton move off his spot.......the linebackers need to be disciplined and seek/destroy the wideouts coming into their area.
XpertDBA
Legacy

Postby Seahawker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:43 pm

savvyman wrote:Seahawks have been a little too reluctant to dial up blitzes in my opinion during the second half of the year.

For the few times they have the blitzes were very successful.

I don't understand the reluctance - we have the best man coverage team in the NFL. They can keep everyone covered for the first 3 seconds.

The key to stopping Manning is obvious - pressure - - If Manning has time to be comfortable in the pocket then forget it - game to Bronco's.

Yes start our with four man pass rush - but if the four man rush is not able to put pressure on Manning and he is able to go through his reads then the Hawks had better start sending a fifth rusher immediately - and not wait until Manning has marched the team down the field a couple times they are down 14 points - like they have in the past.

I have to agree with savvy on this, even a well rotated 4 man base rush, with WR's consistently pressured/covered won't be enough. PM has too many weapons at his disposal and if he finds a pocket comfort zone with early drives, TD, FG or punt, it won't be good. We only blitzed CK like 3 times, Quinn needs to dial something up with Irvin, M. Smith or Wagner more than most envision he will. That orange jersey draped on that classic statue doesn't mean "no contact" and once PM gets effectively pressured, the greatest of all time shows a hint of paper tiger. That's when the whobbly ducks come.

On the O-side, I really think a more explosive aerial attack is in order complimented by Miller & Willson.
If we get good field position from a punt of turnover, I think going downfield on 1st down could be big.
Everyone is talking strength on strength, But I think our offense has an advantage over the Donkey D, if Bevell unleashes it.

I know, playing straight-up and win like we've been doing is likely the gameplan, the safe route. But with ramped up play calling from Bevell/Quinn the Seahawks could just take this thing and run away with it.

Ideally the blitzes that should work best will be to send Wagner & Irvin up the Middle to help collapse the pocket and force Manning to the edges which will be known as the kill zone for him.

The Key to winning this game is simple - get pressure on Manning - we do and its game over. However if we play coverage defense and Manning has time to set up and go through reads then he will beat any team in the NFL.

I hope in the Superbowl the Seahawks will not be reluctant to dial up the blitz or wait until they are down two scores before they send pressure.

If the team were to compile a tape of each time they sent a fifth man this year they would see a pattern of overwhelming success - including several interceptions - and very few times when the offense beat the hawks on blitz plays.

Our back six can stay with any group of receivers in Man coverage - with Earl being able to play safety net - so I hope the game plan will include a heavy dose of rushing a fifth man if our four man rush is proving inconsistent with getting pressure on Manning - and that the Hawks will start utilizing the blitz immediately if the 4 man rush is unsuccessful in collapsing the pocket.
Seahawker
Legacy

Postby Seahawker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:47 pm

^ Crimony, I'm no more skilled at posting than I was 15 years ago! :o
Seahawker
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:45 pm

Long Time Fan wrote:
Eaglehawk wrote:

Disagree and agree.

Quinn has nothing new for Manning to see. Manning has seen it all and has ideas about beating every scheme. I like our "nothing new, base defense" approach. Let's do what we do best and see if Manning can beat it; Consistently. Because Manning fears pressure he will run short routes allowing for quick reads and releases. This will necessitate short yardage multi-sets of downs drives. We don't need every drive to be three and out, but we do need to limit 3rd down conversions.

I do agree that our defense will have to play at a high level and be opportunistic (turnovers and third down stops).

Like the phrase that has become a parody of itself; We can't stop him, we can only hope to contain him.

I should be clearer, I agree, Manning has seen it all. But he has not seen it from this team we are different Conferences, and pregame is not reg season. We are not going to reinvent the wheel for this game, but we will have to deal and scheme with crossing routes, and the cross and bump that they love to play even on 3rd and 1. And by the way, their crossing routes sometimes can get them in trouble via offensive pass interference calls.

But agree with you as well, Manning can beat us mostly from the short slants and and dink and donk plays. This is where Manning is most dangerous. He takes advantage of slower DB matchups as well(which we don't have). Flush him outside and he will have to stay with his point WR or WRs in front of him, he will throw in tight windows. He is Manning and all season it has worked for him. So expect him to throw even in tight coverage. Manning will not run even if he has green in front of him, he will not run. He is fragile, and has hurt ankles.

Your point may be apropos: contain him. I would add, contain him while making him feel "uncomfortable". That is part of a recipe for success.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Long Time Fan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:18 am

[quote="Eaglehawk"
Your point may be apropos: contain him. I would add, contain him while making him feel "uncomfortable". That is part of a recipe for success.[/quote]

Sherman made a key point during his acclaimed series of press conferences; he talked about not getting frustrated when Denver hits on a play or gets on a run of plays. Uncomfortable is a good word. Whichever team gets uncomfortable will be the team in danger. The Seahawks appear loose and confident going into the game. Great. But how do they response, re-compose when faced with adversity? Adversity revels character as much as it builds it.

OTOH, if we can pressure Manning, vex him, frustrate him, disrupt his timing, then we see how he deals with the discomfort.

Physically we have the edge. Mentally?
Long Time Fan
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum