Sherm done?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Sherm done?

Postby curmudgeon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:01 pm

Uh-oh. Season down the tubes??.....
curmudgeon
Legacy

Re: Sherm done?

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:14 pm

We ain't dead YET.

WTG DB

WTG JG

WTG Russell WILSON!!!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:51 pm

Sounds like Sherm tore the Achilles. His season is over.

I don't see how we beat the high powered passing offenses in the NFC without Sherm, meaning we may not even make the playoffs this year.

At this point we may need some higher draft picks. We need an infusion of talent at RB, O-line, and CB.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Oly » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:56 pm

F*ck Thursday night games.
Oly
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:56 pm

Tough game, costly win ...
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:56 pm

Matty Ice, Wentz and Goff will evicerate this wounded secondary....
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:54 pm

Maybe if Thomas is back we can shift McDougald over to CB? He looks like he has the speed to play the position.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:32 am

What a bittersweet win, that’s for sure! Damn it. Outside of losing Sherm for the year :cry: we lost a sheeeet ton of players tonight. Reed, Sherm, Kam (neck stinger), Duane, Frank, Procise (again - other ankle) and others (didn’t have my binoculars & I couldn’t rewind, so I’m not super sure who else. I hope team leadership and players across the NFL demand change on this greedy new Thursday night game.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:41 am

Check the scrap heap for a vet for depth or whatever.
*Sigh*
There's also some chance that we just saw his last game as a Seahawk.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:58 am

curmudgeon wrote:Uh-oh. Season down the tubes??.....

I posted this in the other thread but will repeat it here as it is pertinent.

We will now see what the team had in mind when they shopped Sherm in the off season. We need Shead and Griff to be okay. We need ET and KAM back. And finally, we need the DL to step up the pressure on QBs.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:02 am

Hawk Sista wrote:What a bittersweet win, that’s for sure! Damn it. Outside of losing Sherm for the year :cry: we lost a sheeeet ton of players tonight. Reed, Sherm, Kam (neck stinger), Duane, Frank, Procise (again - other ankle) and others (didn’t have my binoculars & I couldn’t rewind, so I’m not super sure who else. I hope team leadership and players across the NFL demand change on this greedy new Thursday night game.

I think a lot of them will be back after the break except for Sherman. I hope they put Procise on IR and use that spot for more reliable talent. Brown is going to hurt if he can't come back. Is Shead back yet?
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Oly » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:33 am

Is this the kind of injury that might make Sherman more likely to return next season? Players coming of season ending injuries may have a hard time on the open market, whereas the home team might be less skittish having seen the recovery process the entire time.

But maybe I'm just trying to find a silver lining in this sh*t cloud.
Oly
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:46 am

The sky is falling, The sky is falling! 6-3 is a disaster! We may miss the playoffs!
Seriously people? Sometimes I laugh out loud at the skepticism of some of the gloom & doom crowd here in the shack.
Last edited by Vegaseahawk on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:47 am

In these situations,

What would Belicheck do?

Go to work, get another replacement or two and win the divisions and superbowl
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:07 am

We saw something we had not seen in 5 seasons, with the exception of pre-season games. A defensive backfield w/o 1 original member of the LOB. I am so glad that Lane didn't pass his physical and so wasn't traded a few weeks ago, we sure needed him last night and the rest of the season. The defense played with a ferocity not seen in a while after both Kam and Sherm went down, I hope they can keep it up, we need them to.

Our season is NOT OVER. ET WILL be back and our defense has depth, and man did we need that depth.

The only thing I fear now is the zebras, because they really have it in for us, and I KNOW it is because a few of our players have not only taken a knee (not last night) but have been very vocal. No, it is NOT RIGHT and the NFL needs to clamp down on these corrupt officials or the NFL will not be taken seriously. They will have the same reputation as pro wrestling and I don't think that is what they want to be perceived that way. WAKE UP GOODELL or get out of the way!

P.S. Did you all see K.J. Wright?? He had a whale of a game last night, he is great all the time but he was extra special last night. If he don't make All-Pro something is seriously wrong with the voting.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:14 am

Shead is close, I heard. Would it be worth it to bring Maxwell back? Miami cut him.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:18 am

I don't know if anybody has mentioned this or not but I think we still have Shead coming back from a knee injury. A week ago PC said Shead and Jordan were on a similar trajectory in terms of their returns. If he can come back and play at the level he was before his injury it certainly helps...
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:26 am

Shead returning should help but Griffin had a shoulder issue during the game, so he may be iffy later in the year if it doesn't fully heal before the next game.

On a side note, Jordan flashed a few times. He may have a future here if it wasn't an anomaly and with Avril gone maybe for good, he could be a worthwhile reclamation project.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:36 am

Anyone think Maxwell will get a shot? I would actually feel pretty good about our chances if someone who was already in the system came back.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:55 pm

Vegaseahawk wrote:The sky is falling, The sky is falling! 6-3 is a disaster! We may miss the playoffs!
Seriously people? Sometimes I laugh out loud at the skepticism of some of the gloom & doom crowd here in the shack.

Have you looked at the current standings? 6-3 is borderline playoffs at the moment. We're the number 5 seed right now. We just lost our best CB with a bunch of high powered passing attacks coming up.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:10 pm

Stream Hawk wrote:Anyone think Maxwell will get a shot? I would actually feel pretty good about our chances if someone who was already in the system came back.

He would fit in well, but we don't have any Cap space left to add another player.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:06 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Anyone think Maxwell will get a shot? I would actually feel pretty good about our chances if someone who was already in the system came back

He would fit in well, but we don't have any Cap space left to add another player.

This lacy signing seems really bad about now with the cap hit. Can we get cap back if we trade him?
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:06 am

We won the battle and lost the war. Losing Sherman is frigging huge as it opens up the entire field to other team's offenses. Arizona immediately started attacking Sherman's right side immediately after he went down.

Yes, our 6-3 record is OK, puts us in a decent position. But after losing that Redskins game, it put us in a position to where we need to start hoping for other teams to lose, and Sherman's going down just laid a major hit on our odds. Personally, I think we'll be very lucky to make the playoffs this season.

But we'll see. There's still a lot of football left to play and stranger things have happened. But it's really hard for me to paint a smiley face on our predicament.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:27 am

RiverDog wrote:We won the battle and lost the war. Losing Sherman is frigging huge as it opens up the entire field to other team's offenses. Arizona immediately started attacking Sherman's right side immediately after he went down.

Yes, our 6-3 record is OK, puts us in a decent position. But after losing that Redskins game, it put us in a position to where we need to start hoping for other teams to lose, and Sherman's going down just laid a major hit on our odds. Personally, I think we'll be very lucky to make the playoffs this season.

But we'll see. There's still a lot of football left to play and stranger things have happened. But it's really hard for me to paint a smiley face on our predicament.

River, I think that losing ET is a bigger loss than losing Sherman, but that's just me. IF ET comes back at a 100% than we are OK, if not we are done. Losing both? Its over.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:25 am

obiken wrote:River, I think that losing ET is a bigger loss than losing Sherman, but that's just me. IF ET comes back at a 100% than we are OK, if not we are done. Losing both? Its over.

They're both huge, but I think I'd rather have a healthy Sherman than I would a healthy Earl. What Sherman does for our defense is that he changes the entire philosophy as to how opposing offenses attack our D. With Sherman in there, they essentially ignore the part of the field from the hash marks to the sidelines on Sherman's side. With him out, the whole field is suddenly in play. That's not the case with Earl's presence.

I've always said that the defense is generic, that one of the major positive attribute of Pete's teams is that the D seems to heal itself. That thinking will be put to the test in the coming weeks. With the Jekyl and Hyde personality of this offense, we were going to have to count on the D more than we have in previous years to keep us in games and give us a chance even before Sherman went down.

The one good thing (besides winning) about this train wreck of a game is that we have a mini bye as we won't have to play again for another 11 days. It will help to give our wounded warriors time to heal and the coaching staff time to pick up the pieces and figure out where we go from here.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:03 am

Earl and Sherm are the backbone of this defense. Sherm erases one receiver and one side of the field. Earl supports the weaker DBs and shuts down the deep pass. With Sherm gone, it just got a lot easier to move the ball. Both are worth about 4 points a game on defense. We're going to get hammered.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:38 am

Sherman said he hurt it in the Rams game but was able to still play until it finally ruptured.
I guess now we will see what it's going to be like without him as it would have been if he was traded before this year.
He says he's still going to be helping out the other DBs in the film room and in practice. It's good that he's not tight with his knowledge or fearful of others discovering his secrets.

Chancellor ended up with a stinger at the end of the game and took a cart to the locker room.
Losing all 3 would be a disaster at this point.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:43 am

I just read a report the Seahawks are going to audition Maxwell and Trovon Reed so they will probably have to make more Cap space for any signing.
That could put us in a bind next year when some of this comes due.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:54 am

Sherm is every bit as critical a cog as any other member of the Legion. Earl and Kam have both been hurt and we've suffered as a defense but not crumbled, in part because Sherm has always been there. Now without Sherm we'll suffer again, and probably on a similar scale as without any of the other two, but we won't crumble. We may get burned over the top a bit more now that we can't eliminate half the field from the other team's offensive game plan, but most teams have to live with that reality anyway.

I think our defense will certainly look different, but I won't go so far as to say the season's over. We still have a decent front and a spectacular pair of LBs in Bobby and KJ and as long as we have Russ under center I trust our offense to find a way to do enough, at least often enough, to win enough games to stay in the hunt.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:18 am

Have you looked at the current standings? 6-3 is borderline playoffs at the moment. We're the number 5 seed right now. We just lost our best CB with a bunch of high powered passing attacks coming up.

I'll let Bob answer this:

I think our defense will certainly look different, but I won't go so far as to say the season's over. We still have a decent front and a spectacular pair of LBs in Bobby and KJ and as long as we have Russ under center I trust our offense to find a way to do enough, at least often enough, to win enough games to stay in the hunt.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:41 am

We'll be in the playoffs, but an already challenged team just lost their best corner.

As it stands now, this team is ripe for a one-and-done in the postseason if they don't get their s*** together. We aren't going to be playing any Drew Stantons in the tourney.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:49 am

Gloooooom and Doooooommmmm

Crocodile tears

Funny to hear after all the chest pounding prior to the season about how PC said this is the best team ever blah blah blah

the truth has been exposed

The future is the Rams, Eagles, Cowboys, and Pit
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:51 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Sherm is every bit as critical a cog as any other member of the Legion. Earl and Kam have both been hurt and we've suffered as a defense but not crumbled, in part because Sherm has always been there. Now without Sherm we'll suffer again, and probably on a similar scale as without any of the other two, but we won't crumble. We may get burned over the top a bit more now that we can't eliminate half the field from the other team's offensive game plan, but most teams have to live with that reality anyway.

You're way more optimistic than I am.

This defense works against the pass because of Earl and Sherm. Sherm allows Earl to support the middle and opposite side of the field. With Sherm out Earl will have to heavily support all sides of the field, meaning teams can set up formations and attacks to draw Earl away and set up very favorable matchups that will lead to us getting hammered. Even more important was how good Sherm was in the red zone. Sherm's length and intelligence made him one of the best red zone corners in the league. Throwing a TD on Sherm in the red zone was extremely difficult with this length and ability to maintain position. I think Sherm was worth at least 4 points a game.

Our front will not make up for the loss of Sherm. If anything Sherm and Earl made our front look better because they made it so QBs had to hold the ball longer giving our front more time to bring pressure.

Then absent a run game, our defense is going to get worn out and dismantled. Unless Bevell can somehow turn the short passing game into an efficient way to maintain time of possession, I see us getting strung out and beat.

The only positive I can say is the season isn't over and we have a QB that can do some amazing things if Bevell can learn to run the entire offense through Russell. I don't see us competing for a Super Bowl this year, especially if some of the other guys that went down on Thursday remain out, specifically Duane Brown or any of our other D-line guys.

I hope I don't hear all the bitching. We're the walking wounded. We have no run game. Our secondary is down to Earl, a much lesser version of Kam, and a bunch of unknowns. Wins now are going to be because a bunch of the remaining players stepped up big time and our QB and receivers carried the offense to give us a chance. I hope this locker room looks in the mirror and days, "Screw it. We have nothing to lose. Let's throw the ball and light this up."
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:05 pm

I am hoping that this sparks a new plan on defense and offense from the top down. I think too often we've relied on a miracle stop by the defense at the end of the game. Maybe now, we'll start playing all 4 quarters on offense and the defense will blitz more, change things up a bit, etc.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:34 pm

idhawkman wrote:I am hoping that this sparks a new plan on defense and offense from the top down. I think too often we've relied on a miracle stop by the defense at the end of the game. Maybe now, we'll start playing all 4 quarters on offense and the defense will blitz more, change things up a bit, etc.

Blitzing more doesn't work against the great QBs. They read the blitz, you lose a player in coverage, and get tore up more often. Most smart QBs have seen every blitz known to man. Once they see it, they read the coverage weakness from the blitiz, and slice us up. I never understand why people love blitzing so much considering it mostly works against inexperienced QBs and teams that don't know how to read the blitz and make you pay for it.

As far as the offense, hard to do much creatively when you can't run.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:32 pm

idhawkman wrote:I am hoping that this sparks a new plan on defense and offense from the top down. I think too often we've relied on a miracle stop by the defense at the end of the game. Maybe now, we'll start playing all 4 quarters on offense and the defense will blitz more, change things up a bit, etc.

lol, don't I wish.
"Same ol' grub again, Darrell?"
"'fraid so."
Zorn76
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum