Welcome back Bang Bang Maxwell

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Welcome back Bang Bang Maxwell

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:06 pm

c_hawkbob
Legacy

Re: Welcome back Bang Bang Maxwell

Postby RiverDog » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:19 pm

Hopefully he hasn't lost much since his last stint with us. He played very well then, the only reason we didn't keep him was due to all the money we already had tied up in our secondary.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:37 pm

This is a feel-good move, but I think it's just nostalgia.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:00 am

Sherm and Earl made Maxwell just like he makes about everyone that plays across from him. Hopefully Earl will be enough to shore this up a bit. Maxwell on his own is average at best.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:12 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:Sherm and Earl made Maxwell just like he makes about everyone that plays across from him. Hopefully Earl will be enough to shore this up a bit. Maxwell on his own is average at best.

Actually you can make the argument that Sherman made him a worse CB than he might have been as teams always throw away from Sherman's side.

I'd be ecstatic if Maxwell proves to be just average. There has to be a reason why he didn't have a job before now.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:29 am

burrrton wrote:This is a feel-good move, but I think it's just nostalgia.

I agree. I don't remember Maxwell as the hero some others remember him as. He would get an INT here or there but I really didn't feel there was a big loss when he moved on. Given that he's out of the league sitting on the sidelines this deep into the season just 3 years later makes me think I might be right.

Hope he works out for us.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:52 am

He might just be a system guy, meaning he fits what we do better than what other Defenses do.
I hope it's the case.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:07 pm

RiverDog wrote:Actually you can make the argument that Sherman made him a worse CB than he might have been as teams always throw away from Sherman's side.

I'd be ecstatic if Maxwell proves to be just average. There has to be a reason why he didn't have a job before now.

Not really. As long as Earl is in the game, the CB opposite Sherm almost always has backup, elite, scary backup.This provides a very narrow window of coverage for the CB opposite Sherm with very simple duties.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:58 pm

I think it will be good for Maxwell to return to the Seahawks and it will be good for us because there just were not any other CB's of his caliber that in understood our system and at one time thrived in it. It could be just what he needed to resurrect his career and save our season, or at least prevent a defensive collapse.

Welcome back Byron! Oh yeah, bring on that Silver Hammer!!!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:34 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:Not really. As long as Earl is in the game, the CB opposite Sherm almost always has backup, elite, scary backup.This provides a very narrow window of coverage for the CB opposite Sherm with very simple duties.

Sure, Earl gives great help over the top and gives corners the confidence to play their receiver close, but it's an undeniable fact is that the corner opposite Sherman is going to see a lot more action than they would if Sherman wasn't in the game. The shear volume of passes puts a lot more pressure on the corner opposite Sherm than it would if a garden variety corner were over there.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:01 am

So I wonder if they will now go after the rookie Griffin or career backup/nickle Lane?
I suspect it will be fairly even early but it wouldn't surprise me if Griffin became the #1 for the rest of the year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:13 pm

NorthHawk wrote:So I wonder if they will now go after the rookie Griffin or career backup/nickle Lane?
I suspect it will be fairly even early but it wouldn't surprise me if Griffin became the #1 for the rest of the year.

This actually might be a good thing.

Maybe - that's a big maybe, other teams didn't practice their passes to the Sherman side so they had extra reps to go after whoever was on the other side. By sherman not being there, "maybe" they won't get as many reps to the one side and those hail mary passes like what Washington got down to the 1 yard line won't work for them. Again - "Maybe"
idhawkman
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum