Seahawks Violate Concussion Protocol

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Seahawks Violate Concussion Protocol

Postby RiverDog » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:44 am

It was blatantly obvious that we violated the established concussion protocol and I was worried about the possible consequences, but they seem to be relatively minor. The worst that could happen would be that we might receive as much as a $150,000 fine, which is roughly equivalent to the amount Paul Allen hands out in tips each year.

I do think that there should be a fairly rigorous examination as concussions is a serious matter, but feel that competition wise, that it's not fair for a team that is the victim of an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty should have to suffer the consequences of not being able to field their player while the offending team simply absorbs a sometimes meaningless penalty.

So my solution would be that should the Hawks or any other team be the victim of a personal foul penalty that results in a player having to leave the game via concussion protocol that the offending team be required to sit a player, the one guilty of the PF, for the amount of time it takes to clear the player.

But then again, we'd be opening a can of worms as there would be no reason not to include such actions for any personal foul penalty that resulted in an injured player.

So whatcha think?
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Seahawks Violate Concussion Protocol

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:04 am

I think I love me some Russ. He was just fine last Thursday compared to the attempted decapitation by Clay Matthews in the NFC title game a couple of years back.

Russ is the toughest cookie I've ever seen. With a chin like that he could have been a boxer.

Fine us, whatever. Everyone plays as many games as they can with concussion protocol and especially the players as was the case with Russ.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:50 am

I think the procedures across the league might change.
Something like the players helmet to be placed in a special spot that he can't get at without authorization from the doctor. More emphasis that they are properly evaluated at the very least.
The coaches are involved with the game, so they really aren't to blame when a player does what Russ did even though they are ultimately responsible for the team.
I think it's a stretch to expect them to monitor the player in the tent and direct the team with all that goes on.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:30 pm

I got no problem with the protocol.

I got no problem with doing what Russ did in circumventing the protocol.

I got no problem with the team and independent Dr's letting it slide, it was clearly evident to me that it was his jaw that was shaken up, not his gray matter.

I got no problem with a billionaire paying the fine for the transgression either.

In my book it's all good.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:32 pm

Bill B + Pete C = C-H-E-A-T-E-R-S

GO RAMS
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:33 pm

I bet they don't let RW go in the tent alone again without someone right behind him to make sure he doesn't come out before the doctor is ready... THat was classic.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:52 pm

Uh, I had heard something different. I heard that for 1st. offenders it was a fine but for repeat offenders it could be draft picks. We have already lost draft picks because we had allowed too much "action" during the off season OTA"s. I sure hope that those infractions are not counted against us or that's exactly when our punishment would be, DRAFT PICK or PICKS.

So, NO I am NOT down with the stunt Wilson pulled, it could cost the team dearly.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:25 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:Uh, I had heard something different. I heard that for 1st. offenders it was a fine but for repeat offenders it could be draft picks. We have already lost draft picks because we had allowed too much "action" during the off season OTA"s. I sure hope that those infractions are not counted against us or that's exactly when our punishment would be, DRAFT PICK or PICKS.

So, NO I am NOT down with the stunt Wilson pulled, it could cost the team dearly.

LOL first the bigger question is where was the league Dr? were was anyone from the team, and why did no one stop him?

All that said no they are not cumulative, so worse case fine.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:14 am

Anthony wrote:LOL first the bigger question is where was the league Dr? were was anyone from the team, and why did no one stop him?

All that said no they are not cumulative, so worse case fine.

It doesn't matter where the league doctor was. He's our responsibility, not the league's. Besides, it wasn't like we were waiting an eternity to be checked out. Russell wasn't under the tent for 30 seconds before he bolted out. He missed one play.

I love Russell's attitude, but he's not being smart. Last season in the 49'ers game at home where Russell sustained a serious knee injury, he took one play off then headed back into the game late in the 2nd half when we had a 3 score lead. Pete let him play for a snap or two before they realized the risk they were taking and got him out.

S4E is exactly right. We may not like it, but rules are rules, and if we continue to be flippant about them, it's eventually going to catch up with us.

I still think that any mandated exit from the game, ie concussion protocol, by a player injured due to a PF that the offending player be required to leave the game for a period of time. A 15 yard penalty just isn't sufficient to make up for the loss of a starting QB.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:50 am

RiverDog wrote:
S4E is exactly right. We may not like it, but rules are rules, and if we continue to be flippant about them, it's eventually going to catch up with us.

Uh... Have you met Pete Carroll? He's all about being flippant toward rules. It shows on the penalties the team gets all the time, the violations levied by the league and so many other things about him.

Edited: Thought I better explain the tone I wrote the above in. {above said in a dry humor tone, I'm not going after you Riv.}
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:56 am

I think it's already catching up to us.
Some of the calls are barely borderline and happen on every play with every team, but we get called because they are looking for them.
It's not a productive reputation to have with the Refs.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum