Richard Sherman is Fined by the NFL

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Richard Sherman is Fined by the NFL

Postby savvyman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:39 pm

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10346713/richard-sherman-seattle-seahawks-fined-7875-taunting-nfc-championship-game

Since Sherman was fined for making the choke sign then it is fair to ask the NFL what action it intends to about all of the celebrations (sack dances, Kapernecking, putting a finger to the lips in a shhhhh sound after a player scores a TD in a visiting stadium) that has been on display each week all season long.
savvyman
Legacy

Re: Richard Sherman is Fined by the NFL

Postby Hawkstar » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:42 pm

With Sherm forking over 8k, the dude that jacked up Lane should be watching from home for 6 weeks. If Harbaugh continues his BS explanation, he should join him.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:47 pm

It's actually good news, guys!!!

This will just make the chip on this team's shoulder even bigger!!! I love it!!!

Let them doggs out, Hawks!!!
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:00 pm

rottweiler wrote:It's actually good news, guys!!!

This will just make the chip on this team's shoulder even bigger!!! I love it!!!

You know that fire in Sherm's belly gonna be burning hotter than hell now. And you also know the rest of the LOB, who really do have his back, are gonna be fired up too ... I'd hate to be a Donkey receiver come Sunday!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:17 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the choke sign and throat slash pretty much automatic fines?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:26 pm

I agree.
Piss them off, just please piss them off.

NorthHawk wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the choke sign and throat slash pretty much automatic fines?

You're not wrong. The throat slash is pretty much automatic. AND it's not the first time Sherman has gone there either.
So yeah, it was a guarantee he was getting fined.
monkey
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:28 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the choke sign and throat slash pretty much automatic fines?

I know the throat slash is.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:45 pm

monkey wrote:

I agree.
Piss them off, just please piss them off.

:lol:
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:05 am

Publicly during Media Day:
Press: What do you think of that fine?
S: I pretty much deserved it.(What he means: I could care less about the fines. Crabtree messed with me and I gave it back. If he throws it my way, I am going to get at least one int off of Manning.)
P: Are you angry?
S. More at myself for distracting the attention that belonged to my teammates as well.
(What he means: I'm mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take it anymore!)
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:06 am

He is in my mind the best cornerback in the game, I'm damn glad he's on our side, and I hope we do everything possible to keep him on our team when it comes time to resign him. But he's still a self centered jerk and the league was right to fine him for his unsportsmanlike behavior.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:43 am

Wow!
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Bird Droppings » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:09 am

Savvy, Rott, and Dog ... you've got the same myopic view as the national media.
While 25's fine is eight grand .... this is gonna cost the Hawks a bundle.

Remember the salary cap thread you filled in so adeptly two weeks back in here, savvy?

Sherman's attention is gonna cost the Hawks at least an extra 3 mil a year when they re-sign him ... and they have no choice but to re-sign him after the identity he has established for the team in the national and international media ... well, he was gonna get a good raise before all this pub, just top on another 3 million or so in whipped cream per year.

That will carve a hunk off the cap room savvy has already used to decide who will stay and who will go. Watch another half dozen guys not offered contracts.

Rott and Dog ... yeah, the short term response is positive ... but the media frenzy is going to emasculate the budget?

Finally, last year indicated that free agents were anxious, not anti, joining the Hawks. Who will be this year's Bennett we have to say thanks, but we can't afford ya.
Bird Droppings
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:54 am

I'm being naive on this one, but I'm wishing for some compromise by our core players when their bill comes due. They all already know how special this team is, and, if they win on Feb. 2, that will be even more apparent. As a player, I'd have to like the idea of knowing I'm part of a special team that could make multiple runs, but I also know these guys only play so long, so getting all they can get (and also what they are worth) is completely understandable. I think of guy like Mario Williams; insane talent who went for the money, yet he'll have no SB wins as part of his legacy. Maximum money with less greatness, or less money (but still a hell of a lot) but more greatness; that's a big part of the decision.

I'd hate to see us break this team over Wilson and Sherman (the two biggest looming contracts), but there's no way we keep everybody. Hoping for a reasonable discount on these guys, but not expecting it.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Bird Droppings » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:05 pm

Dear MacK: I wish. But he's only going to have one big contract to negotiate, and that is now. If he wants to re-structure a year o two down the line that would be noble.

A contract is not a selfish act becaue the NFL and NFLPA created this crash test dummy in the name of "parity"... and they're more concerned with the perception than the rational ramifications.

And ... Earl Thomas remains their highest priority for a new, long-term contract, even before Sherman ... and now there's not a lot of hope to ink Wilson this year.

When you go before your boss (or the board) at work when it is time for your salary review, you put yourself first, right? If not, then you are being naive. This is reality.
Bird Droppings
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:15 pm

Bird Droppings wrote:Dear MacK: I wish. But he's only going to have one big contract to negotiate, and that is now. If he wants to re-structure a year o two down the line that would be noble.

A contract is not a selfish act becaue the NFL and NFLPA created this crash test dummy in the name of "parity"... and they're more concerned with the perception than the rational ramifications.

And ... Earl Thomas remains their highest priority for a new, long-term contract, even before Sherman ... and now there's not a lot of hope to ink Wilson this year.

When you go before your boss (or the board) at work when it is time for your salary review, you put yourself first, right? If not, then you are being naive. This is reality.

Since they can't even discuss an extension with Wilson until the end of next season ( per CBA rules) not sure why anyone would have thought Wilson could be "inked" to anything, if they can't even talk to him or his agent about it, formal legal contracts would be a stretch at best. Thomas comes up this year ( as well as Giacomini, Okung etc) but Sherman cannot ask nor receive a raise until next season, Wilson cannot ask or receive one until the season after that ( 2015).
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby EntiatHawk » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:33 pm

Sherm is making a bunch of money on his little rant. The guy is going to make a bunch of money not only from his Hawk contract but also from other avenues he has going. He may demand to be the highest paid but he may also make his contract as team friendly as possible. We will not know till that day comes.
EntiatHawk
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:49 pm

Richard Shermans fine for flashing a choke sign to the 49ers is the same amount as the fine Trent Williams received for this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl4ViIwy7KA
savvyman
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:59 pm

Bird Droppings wrote:Savvy, Rott, and Dog ... you've got the same myopic view as the national media.

Remember the salary cap thread you filled in so adeptly two weeks back in here, savvy?

Sherman's attention is gonna cost the Hawks at least an extra 3 mil a year when they re-sign him ... and they have no choice but to re-sign him after the identity he has established for the team in the national and international media ... well, he was gonna get a good raise before all this pub, just top on another 3 million or so in whipped cream per year.

That will carve a hunk off the cap room savvy has already used to decide who will stay and who will go. Watch another half dozen guys not offered contracts.

Rott and Dog ... yeah, the short term response is positive ... but the media frenzy is going to emasculate the budget?

Finally, last year indicated that free agents were anxious, not anti, joining the Hawks. Who will be this year's Bennett we have to say thanks, but we can't afford ya.

Yes BD - as you say Richard Sherman value has increased both on and off the field because of recent events.

I am happy for him - for the last two years he has made $550,000 - the current market value for the best cornerback in football is around $12 million annually. This means the Richard has been under-paid by about $20 million dollars the past two years. When he gets his eventual payday he deserves every dollar he gets.

No way the hawks will let him go - he is too valuable from a player and leader position - Hawks will end up signing both Sherman and Thomas to top players at their position salary contracts.

In my opinion the most important and impactful position on the defense is cornerback and when you have the best one in the NFL you are going to pay him and try to save money at other positions.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:19 pm

savvyman wrote:
Bird Droppings wrote:Savvy, Rott, and Dog ... you've got the same myopic view as the national media.

Yes BD - as you say Richard Sherman value has increased both on and off the field because of recent events.

I am happy for him - for the last two years he has made $550,000 - the current market value for the best cornerback in football is around $12 million annually. This means the Richard has been under-paid by about $20 million dollars the past two years. When he gets his eventual payday he deserves every dollar he gets.

No way the hawks will let him go - he is too valuable from a player and leader position - Hawks will end up signing both Sherman and Thomas to top players at their position salary contracts.

In my opinion the most important and impactful position on the defense is cornerback and when you have the best one in the NFL you are going to pay him and try to save money at other positions.

This is really turning into another thread entirely, but how the heck is Paul Allen gonna be able to keep Sherman, Thomas and Russell Wilson all three under current cap rules?

I just don't see a way it can happen.

We have got to get that ring right now, 'cause all bets are off come Monday, February 3rd.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:15 pm

A Bird Droppings sighting, wow, good to see you found the joint man!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:11 pm

Bird Droppings wrote:Dear MacK: I wish. But he's only going to have one big contract to negotiate, and that is now. If he wants to re-structure a year o two down the line that would be noble.

Welcome to the Shack, my old friend!

You're exactly right about how the attention Sherman's getting is going to drive up his price. The guy might be a lot of things, but stupid isn't one of them. I think he knows full well that his antics will make him a rich man, and might help explain his eccentric personality and his WWE style antics.

We'd be pretty delusional if we think that j/b Sherman is playing for a SB team that we're going to benefit from a home town discount. We're going to pay through the nose for him, and I'm not sure we are going to be able to afford him and still have enough resources to keep all the other young talent on our team happy. That's why I've been talking about windows of opportunity and why I wanted draft choices that could contribute today instead of selecting someone like Christine MIchael. The future is now. This team could look completely different 2 or 3 years from now.

Actually, I need to correct myself. The future isn't now, the future is next Sunday. Go Hawks!

Keep on posting, Bird. You might be a lot of things, too..but boring isn't one of them.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:23 pm

rottweiler wrote:
savvyman wrote:

This is really turning into another thread entirely, but how the heck is Paul Allen gonna be able to keep Sherman, Thomas and Russell Wilson all three under current cap rules?

I just don't see a way it can happen.

We have got to get that ring right now, 'cause all bets are off come Monday, February 3rd.

As you say it will be difficult and maybe not possible.

We have two potential Hall of fame players in Sherman and Thomas - they are going to do everything they can to keep both with the team. Both are the nucleus of the defensive leadership. Both are known for being exceptionally hard workers. These two with their combination of talent/ work ethic and leadership are the cornerstones of the hawks Defense for the next 4 years. Seattle will use all means possible to keep these two special athletes. If there is a way (like making linebacker a lower cap dollar position) they will do it.

It is possible that the Hawks will also get $12 million in savings from Rice & Clemon's contracts next year alone.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:13 pm

As with any successful team in this position, the Seahawks will have to make some tough choices. Bryant? Mebane? Miller? Tate? There is a heck of a lot of money that can or will be taken off the books at the Seahawks discretion. The D-line is a group that it seems the Seahawks are willing to play around with, and I am not positive that O-line, and LB isn't as well. The trick is to decide your "core" group, you give them money and bargain hunt in other areas. Sherman, Thomas and Wilson I believe are IN that core group, and the Seahawks will allow a LOT of flexibility in resigning them. They may not be able to, but it isn't going to be for a lack of dollars being acceptable.

I will find it far more interesting to see how they choose to handle guys like Tate, Thurmond, Okung, Maxwelll, and Baldwin. Of course they want to keep everyone, but I doubt they continue to pay top dollar for guys like Okung, Giacomini, Bryant etc.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:31 am

As you say it will be difficult and maybe not possible.

We have two potential Hall of fame players in Sherman and Thomas - they are going to do everything they can to keep both with the team. Both are the nucleus of the defensive leadership. Both are known for being exceptionally hard workers. These two with their combination of talent/ work ethic and leadership are the cornerstones of the hawks Defense for the next 4 years. Seattle will use all means possible to keep these two special athletes. If there is a way (like making linebacker a lower cap dollar position) they will do it.

It is possible that the Hawks will also get $12 million in savings from Rice & Clemon's contracts next year alone.

Yea, there's a few overpaid players, starting with Rice and Clemons, and there's cheaper options other than Miller and Bryant out there. I suspect they'll be cap causalities, too. But the list pretty much stops there. Beyond that, those fat contracts for the LOB is going to cost us a lot of second tier players that are critical to our team. We are not getting productivity out of our two bookends, Okung and Breuno. Okung ain't no 2nd tier player and would be worth it if he were on the field more. We're over paying for both those guys IMO, but there's no real good options available.

Then comes the underpaid players, and there's a lot of them besides Wilson and the LOB. Golden Tate isn't a top tier receiver, but he's put himself in a position to command a top tier salary. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't feel comfortable trusting the WR position to the health and willingness of Percy Harvin. And what about Bobby Wagner? He ain't no second tier LB IMO. There's gonna be a high demand for him. He'll get his payday. Lane, Maxwell, KJ Wright, McDonald, Baldwin....those are the types of guys that are solid players making huge contributions that are making pennies now that we're not going to be able to afford. And don't make the assumption that any of our guys are going to give us some sort of home town discount. It's a business, and everyone knows the shelf life of the average NFL player and how quickly their fortunes can turn.

It's too bad this team didn't get created back in the 70's or 80's prior to free agency or we'd be looking at a run similar to that of the Steelers or Niners, but we're going to face what nearly all successful teams save the Patriots have for the last 20+ years. The challenge isn't going to be keeping the current roster intact. The challenge is going to be correctly prioritizing who to keep and adequately replacing those that we can't afford.
Last edited by RiverDog on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:34 am

RiverDog wrote:
A And don't make the assumption that those guys are going to give us some sort of home town discount. It's a business, and those guys all know the shelf life of the average NFL player and how quickly their fortunes can turn.

Agreed 100%.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:28 am

Breno may be a casualty of war, as well as Tate, and maybe Miller. Like RD said I don't like Harvin as our sole playmaker on our WR corps.
Okung plays well when healthy. How often is he healthy?
Bryant we keep I think.
but Irvin?
Maxwell we keep.
Tate is up in the air.

That is all for now.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Bird Droppings » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:06 pm

Thanks for the welkommens. I've been lurking, but my posting will be limied for awhile unless my blood gets to parboil again.

Roach, we have to face the cap each year, that's why I tossed in Sherman and mentioned Wilson. We have to plan on what we're doing in 2015 and 2016 right now.

This year's cap is more than this year's cap, and Earl and Okung are at the top of my retainer list.

But ... the roster will be severely affected by what kind of contracts we offer the whole mass of potential departees.

And if we backload some 4 or 5 or 6 year contracts so stay under the cap now, we're just postponing things to keep players like Tate (who I think they will keep), but, will he go for a backloaded contract?

Red likes Seattle, and, he might be willing o grant a hometown discount, but I see few others agreeing with that ... and how does the staff feel about the number of plays he is in on, and does his health still concern them?

Yeah, Brenno and Zach and Clemmons might be run over by the train right now. I think you can write off Browner as well. And Robinson. And McQuisstin.

So, they can loosen up some money with these moves ... but will they try more backloadeds or issue a bunch of one year contracts to those identified as "will take what they're offered" from Savvys well thought out list from the other thread?

Sherman's money won't come until next year, Roach, but the cap is not sailing in a vacuum. There's another shoal next year, and unless the front office checks for it on their charts now they might have some deadweight among the crew next year which limits their ability to give Richie what he wants. And that has probably gone up another million in the last three DAYS.

You are now talking about the hottest entertainer in America in Mr. Sherman ... and the heavy media week is just beginning.

Have you seen what his media request list looks like????

So, pay the III and Okung now on long terms. Offer Tate a big backloaded. Hope Bryant will go for a hometown. Bring back Mebane. And start checking Savvy's list to see how he scores as we are going to face some deletions.

And the ability we had last year to add Averill and Bennett because few teams had the cap room and creativity ... watch that be seriously impaired this year.

In the meantime, oh, yeah, there's a game coming up ...
Bird Droppings
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:58 am

Believe me, BD, I'm not counting on any discounts one bit; I'll take a vacation now and then to Pie-In-The-Sky Island but I certainly don't live there. New England was able to make their run because their players were willing to take less money for the good of the team. I'm not sure how it works, but I would think that playoff and Super Bowl wins entail earning potential outside of the salary cap (bonuses, endorsements maybe?). I'm hoping that will make a difference in retaining talent. All these young Seahawks have earned their pay day, I just hope we can keep as many together as possible to keep up this good thing they've got going. As you said, we've got a game coming up, so I am definitely stoked that all these guys get to be there Sunday. After that, come what may. Go Hawks!
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:45 am

Bird Droppings wrote:So, pay the III and Okung now on long terms. Offer Tate a big backloaded. Hope Bryant will go for a hometown. Bring back Mebane. And start checking Savvy's list to see how he scores as we are going to face some deletions.

Given Okung's injury history, do you think it wise to be tearing up that contract and signing him to a new and more expensive long term deal? He's already under contract through 2015, so why not wait until he proves that he can stay on the field before giving him a raise?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:18 pm

I agree with RD. Given Okungs inability to stay healthy, I believe you have to wait. He has missed big chunks in 3 out of 4 seasons.........

In other news....

Hell has frozen over and Pigs now fly.... LOL
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum