NFL Looking To Change Date/Time of SB

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

NFL Looking To Change Date/Time of SB

Postby Eaglehawk » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:39 pm

Could not believe this garbage.
Football was meant to be played in the snow or better said "outside".
Sure clean the roads and stuff but don't change the time or the day.
This helps Manning, whether they are doing it intentionally or not. Ridiculous.
Personally I hope it is a clear day with snow forecast. Everyone shows up, and THEN it starts snowing ALL GAME. That would be very nice indeed.

http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/up ... 30228-5461
Last edited by Eaglehawk on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Re: NFL Looking To Change Date/Time of SB

Postby rottweiler » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:53 pm

Eaglehawk wrote:Could not believe this garbage.
Football was meant to be played in the snow.
Sure clean the roads and stuff but don't change the time or the day.
This helps Manning, whether they are doing it intentionally or not. Ridiculous.
Personally I hope it is a clear day with snow forecast. Everyone shows up, and THEN it starts snowing ALL GAME. That would be very nice indeed.

http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/up ... 30228-5461

I disagree that "football was meant to be played in the snow".

Doesn't matter, though:

Even a blizzard can't knock a chip the size of the national debt off an angry Hawk's shoulders.

This is our year.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:48 pm

Gee Whiz it might snow in the middle of winter in New Jersey? Goodell and the rest of the NFL brain-fart trust should have thought of that BEFORE they decided to have a Super Bowl in an open air stadium in the middle of winter. The whole idea of doing this was that a football can be played in all kinds of weather in the regular season so why not have a SB in a stadium where any kind of weather can happen? It was all B.S. from the start, the NFL needed some kind of excuse to justify having a Super Bowl in the New York/New Jersey area. In other words it was GREED. The whole idea behind having the Super Bowl in either a warm weather city or later in a climate controlled stadium was that each team would play the game in optimal conditions, no mud bowls or fog bowls. There were a few SB's where the teams had to play in the rain but that was few and far between.

I am sure that if they do indeed change the starting time or even the date the NFL will say it is for the fans. B.S maybe the sponsers certainly not the fans. The worse the weather, the slower the field it would benefit the Hawks more than the Broncos. The Broncos are a finesse team that relies on their speed. Now, I put our team speed up against anybody but if it is raining hard or even snowing we won't be the team that would have to completely change their game plan, Denver would. We can keep it on the ground and win the game, if Denver has to rely on their ground game they will lose.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:08 am

I seriously doubt that they would change the game day. Its Superbowl Sunday after all. Too much money has gone into the setting up of things with vendors, the booths, the tents, the organization of the week, the buying of the 500,000 suites. The logistics of changing things would credit much havoc among partners vendors, and the public who bought airplane tickets a while back to arrive on Sat evening/afternoon only to find out that the game is already in progress, or almost over. Millions of dollars lost just on logistics and many people with not happy with the NFL IMO.

Plus ticket prices are falling which would cause them to potentially lose more money cause then they have to lower prices to get people in New York who don't have a horse in this race to go.

Unbelievable stuff.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:59 am

I'd started another thread on this topic, but no biggie.

If it wasn't for the fact that a lot of people would be screwed out of what for many is a once in a lifetime opportunity, not to mention a lot of greenbacks, I'd love it if weather forced a change in plans and that the league lost a bunch of money because of it. It would serve them right for putting this game in an outdoor stadium in one of the northern tier cities after telling places like Seattle, with much milder winters, they couldn't host one because of the threat of bad weather.

Ticket prices are already plummeting because of the uncertainty around this game, so the ticket vendors are already pissed off, and that's nothing compared to the thousands of businesses stands to lose money or the millions of fans they'll piss off if they have to move this game on account of the weather.

However, the latest weather forecast I heard is that they're backing off the worst case scenario prediction. They were saying upper 30's/low 40's and rain.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:22 am

RiverDog wrote:I'd started another thread on this topic, but no biggie.

If it wasn't for the fact that a lot of people would be screwed out of what for many is a once in a lifetime opportunity, not to mention a lot of greenbacks, I'd love it if weather forced a change in plans and that the league lost a bunch of money because of it. It would serve them right for putting this game in an outdoor stadium in one of the northern tier cities after telling places like Seattle, with much milder winters, they couldn't host one because of the threat of bad weather.

Ticket prices are already plummeting because of the uncertainty around this game, so the ticket vendors are already pissed off, and that's nothing compared to the thousands of businesses stands to lose money or the millions of fans they'll piss off if they have to move this game on account of the weather.

However, the latest weather forecast I heard is that they're backing off the worst case scenario prediction. They were saying upper 30's/low 40's and rain.

Sorry River, I am pretty good about looking at titles and checking for this. And I did, and I did not see anything at the time I posted about them moving the game.
That aside, I agree with your point. The NFL would be lose a lot of goodwill if the game time was changed.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:58 am

Eaglehawk wrote:
RiverDog wrote:I'd started another thread on this topic, but no biggie.

Sorry River, I am pretty good about looking at titles and checking for this. And I did, and I did not see anything at the time I posted about them moving the game.
That aside, I agree with your point. The NFL would be lose a lot of goodwill if the game time was changed.

If they do change the date, there'll be more than just two threads about this topic. There'll be a lot of pissed of hombres. I don't think it will happen, though.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:26 am

The 10 day forecast doesn't look all that bad. http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/N ... J0355:1:US
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:37 am

Distant Relative wrote:The 10 day forecast doesn't look all that bad. http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/N ... J0355:1:US

Yeah, I saw that. Should be no problem in my book. Weather looks pretty decent. Lucky for the NFL.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:05 am

When it is all said and done this will be looked back at a stupid decision by the NFL to play the game here.

The fact that a contingency plan to move the game to another day is necessary shows just what a bad idea it was.

More than likely the game will be played at or below freezing temperatures- the only question is will there be snow or not?

Ticket prices are plummeting over the past 24 hours as many people are saying why do I want to spend a week in the freezing cold just to cap it off with a miserable travel and 4 hour freezing my butt of experience for $2,500 a seat?

Ideally the championship game between the two best teams should be played conditions with the elements playing no factor in the outcome of the game.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:39 am

Since LA has no team, the SB should just be played down there every season at the Coliseum or Rose Bowl.
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:04 am

If the weather is as projected, it will be the coldest Super Bowl on record. I agree w/ the poster who said the fact that there is a contingency plan tells the story. Stupid decision in the first place.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:32 pm

Even if it doesn't snow, the Hawks become the weather's beneficiaries if wind-chill temperatures reach -20°.

Peyton Manning may be aging, but he still puts some serious mustard on his tight spirals. And in an Arctic temperature, those throws are gonna be especially painful for his minions to catch — no matter how much sticky tape they put on their gloves.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:51 pm

rottweiler wrote:Even if it doesn't snow, the Hawks become the weather's beneficiaries if wind-chill temperatures reach -20°.

Peyton Manning may be aging, but he still puts some serious mustard on his tight spirals. And in an Arctic temperature, those throws are gonna be especially painful for his minions to catch — no matter how much sticky tape they put on their gloves.

Good point Rott! He also throws some seriously wobbling passes that the Hawks DB's have be dreaming about.
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:56 pm

Peyton Manning may be aging, but he still puts some serious mustard on his tight spirals.

How would you know- he's never thrown a tight spiral... ;)

(of course I'm kidding- I've just never seen such a delta between a QB's effectiveness and the beauty of his passes)
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:41 pm

He throws ducks these days. In 8 degree weather? More ducks. I hope there is no snow and no rain. Just alot of WIND. Game OVA.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:52 pm

savvyman wrote:When it is all said and done this will be looked back at a stupid decision by the NFL to play the game here.

The fact that a contingency plan to move the game to another day is necessary shows just what a bad idea it was.

More than likely the game will be played at or below freezing temperatures- the only question is will there be snow or not?

Ticket prices are plummeting over the past 24 hours as many people are saying why do I want to spend a week in the freezing cold just to cap it off with a miserable travel and 4 hour freezing my butt of experience for $2,500 a seat?

Ideally the championship game between the two best teams should be played conditions with the elements playing no factor in the outcome of the game.

Good post, savvy.

Goodell is trying his best to do some damage control, saying that they are "embracing the elements.". What a croc! I'll bet he'll be watching the game from his heated luxury box.

One thing that I will add is that this game is more than just about the players, it's about the experience the fans get out of it. Who in the hell wants to spend thousands of dollars on a road trip then have to spend all their time indoors when you could be at some nice warm, sunny beach or riding the roller coaster at Disney World. This was a horrendously bad decision by the league.

Our only other Super Bowl was in a bombed out wasteland in a cold weather city and now we have to put up with this s***.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:05 pm

Who in the hell wants to spend thousands of dollars on a road trip then have to spend all their time indoors when you could be at some nice warm, sunny beach or riding the roller coaster at Disney World. This was a horrendously bad decision by the league.

Seconded, and I think I'm a rather good example why.

About midway point of the season, I had every intention of dropping a few grand to make it to this SB in the event the Hawks made it. Then it started dawning on me exactly what the potential conditions were going to be and I just figured it wasn't worth it if I wasn't going to be escaping to some sunshine in addition- I can freeze my nuts off at home, ya know?

Anyway, unless this goes off *spectacularly*, I'm betting this will end this stupid grand experiment holding a Superbowl at the North Pole.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:26 am

burrrton wrote:
Who in the hell wants to spend thousands of dollars on a road trip then have to spend all their time indoors when you could be at some nice warm, sunny beach or riding the roller coaster at Disney World. This was a horrendously bad decision by the league.

Seconded, and I think I'm a rather good example why.

About midway point of the season, I had every intention of dropping a few grand to make it to this SB in the event the Hawks made it. Then it started dawning on me exactly what the potential conditions were going to be and I just figured it wasn't worth it if I wasn't going to be escaping to some sunshine in addition- I can freeze my nuts off at home, ya know?

Anyway, unless this goes off *spectacularly*, I'm betting this will end this stupid grand experiment holding a Superbowl at the North Pole.

It's already been tarnished beyond repair. That 13" of snow that had to be shoveled out of Met Life Stadium last week was a wake up call. Just the threat of a monster storm and the talk of moving it to a different date has sent shock waves through the league, enough so that none of the owners are going to forget about it for a long time. It's even going to hurt the domed stadium cities in the northern tier, like Minnesota with their brand spanking new stadium set to open in a couple of years.

One poster suggested permanently holding the game in LA. Personally, I'd be for it as it would be as neutral of a field as could be found, but the owners are going to want to reap the financial benefits of a Super Bowl themselves, so I don't see any games played in anything other than a current NFL stadium.

Here's a thought: How about telling Honolulu that if they build an NFL quality stadium that the NFL would give them the next 20 Super Bowls? It would make security a lot easier, unless those terrorists are really good swimmers.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am

RiverDog wrote:It's already been tarnished beyond repair. That 13" of snow that had to be shoveled out of Met Life Stadium last week was a wake up call. Just the threat of a monster storm and the talk of moving it to a different date has sent shock waves through the league, enough so that none of the owners are going to forget about it for a long time. It's even going to hurt the domed stadium cities in the northern tier, like Minnesota with their brand spanking new stadium set to open in a couple of years.

One poster suggested permanently holding the game in LA. Personally, I'd be for it as it would be as neutral of a field as could be found, but the owners are going to want to reap the financial benefits of a Super Bowl themselves, so I don't see any games played in anything other than a current NFL stadium.

Here's a thought: How about telling Honolulu that if they build an NFL quality stadium that the NFL would give them the next 20 Super Bowls? It would make security a lot easier, unless those terrorists are really good swimmers.

Weather from what I can tell will not be a factor, for the Sb, but yes Riv, no more games in New York or anywhere up North until Al Gore's global warming schtick comes true. ;)
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:58 am

It's a thousand to one that they change anything for Sunday.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:32 am

Neither head coach is particularly happy about this week's weather conditions in New Jersey. The outdoor fields are frozen and there's a good chance both teams will be practicing indoors on artificial turf all week, something coaches don't like their players doing as they much prefer grass fields.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/st ... te-carroll

What an abortion.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:26 am

Steve Largent weighed in on this idea of having a SB outdoors in a cold weather city:

"My personal opinion is they need to examine someone's head, whoever picked this place to play a Super Bowl," Largent said. "I think it's dumb. I think it sorta defeats the purpose of the Super Bowl being held in an attractive city that would attract fans and not detract fans, and I think that's exactly what they've done."

"The Seahawks have played in my opinion in two of the worst places in the last 50 years that they've had a Super Bowl -- in Detroit and then New York City," he said. "But that's the bad news. The good news is they're playing in the game, and I hope they're going to win."

Couldn't have said it better.

http://mynorthwest.com/384/2441304/Larg ... -Bowl-dumb
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby PasadenaHawk » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:25 am

Uppercut wrote:Since LA has no team, the SB should just be played down there every season at the Coliseum or Rose Bowl.

Seeing as I can see into the Rosebowl from my backyard, I would be ok with this idea :)
PasadenaHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawkstar » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:38 am

Take a look at ticket prices to the big game this week. Their about 1/2 of where they started last Monday. Could be a couple of factors, but I bet the weather is the number one driver of lack of interest in attending the game.
Hawkstar
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:25 am

I know there are any number of links on the topic, but this one seems as good as any...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -forecast/
Zorn76
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum