Seahawks waive Dwight Freeney

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Seahawks waive Dwight Freeney

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:32 pm

This is a surprise, 3 sacks in 4 games, I thought he was making the desired impact. Musta said something to the after the game that didn't sit well with someone ... I know Pete has no problem showing the door to anyone he sees as not buying in.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/11/21 ... ht-freeney
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Re: Seahawks waive Dwight Freeney

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:39 pm

According to PFT, they wanted the roster spot for someone who is more than just a situational player.
Coincidentally, the Pats just released Cassius Marsh. I wonder if there is a correlation?

Edit:
In other news, the Raiders fired Ken Norton. Could he end up here with the LB's again next year?
Last edited by NorthHawk on Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:42 pm

"According to PFT" means Florio's best guess. But in this case he may well be right. Still, you can never have too many good pass rushers.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:44 pm

I doubt we go for Cassius, I bet we are making room for one of the IR guys to come back. I think Dion Jordan made Freeney expendable.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:51 pm

I don't get it. He was playing out of his mind while Frank Clark is invisible.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:10 am

What do you know, another dumb move by us.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:10 am

Old but Slow wrote:My theory is about defensive assignments. He may have free lanced too much. Late in the game, for example, he rushed by looping to the inside, got caught up in the wash, and Ryan scrambled to the left for about 20 yards. There was no defender to contain him. Carroll does not like that.

I remember that play and thinking that our DE lost contain by taking an inside rush and allowed Ryan to get outside the pocket. Perhaps you're onto something.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:59 am

I don't think they would have canned him for a single play ... maybe the way he reacted to being call out by the coach for it, but not a single play for a guy that has just posted 3 sacks in 4 games of limited action. I honestly don't think his issue was on the field.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:08 am

I don't know much about the guy other than I didn't like him on other teams. What I've seen of him in his interviews he seems like he has a mature head on his shoulders. That's what makes it hard for me to think that he said something that coach didn't like. It is entirely possible that is what happened but it just seems like that would be out of character for him, to me.

I could see him being let go for teaching a technique that the coaches didn't want to be taught. I could see that over him speaking out on a new team that he shouldn't have any leadership on yet. He's got credibility from the years he's played but I don't see him as a team leader on this team. If he was gaining that kind of respect then we have a serious lack of leadership on the defense.

I'm still hopeful that it is the roster spot they wanted for someone coming back off IR.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:36 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I don't think they would have canned him for a single play ... maybe the way he reacted to being call out by the coach for it, but not a single play for a guy that has just posted 3 sacks in 4 games of limited action. I honestly don't think his issue was on the field.

I was agreeing with ObS's theory, in which he only used that one play as an example of Freeney's freelancing as a possible explanation as to why he was cut loose. It's as good a guess as anything else I've heard.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:34 am

Maybe he said the fake FG was a dumb call...
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:44 am

I feel sorry for all the old timers and others like JG that the Seahawks have picked up thinking they were signing onto a superbowl team.

Nope just a train wreck to oblivion.

All will be jumping ship now.

RW will be on IR soon too
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:03 am

The story is that Freeney was waived to make room for WR David Moore.Why did we need to add another WR to the roster? Was there an injury we have not heard about?? Or, is the truth closer to Freeney stepped on Pete's toes... Inquiring minds want to know.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:18 am

I was surprised, he was a dream come true on defense. We are making some dumb moves these days. I was thrilled when we first got him then he starts making sacks I figured he was untouchable I guess not.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:01 pm

I guess I should have mentioned that Moore was signed off of our own taxi squad (blast from the past) and that he had a great pre-season and that many of us were flabbergasted that he had not made the final roster, but it WAS rather early in the morning.

BTW: HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVEYBODY!!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful time with their families and in many cases friends and in others complete strangers.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:27 pm

Freeney got picked up by Detroit.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:46 pm

Saw him looking like he was having fun on sidelines. Minny looks for real. How did they do that with
Ol grouchy Zimmer
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:16 pm

How are they doing it with Keenum?
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:13 am

Largent80 wrote:How are they doing it with Keenum?

Solid OL that's giving him time to throw and providing some running lanes for their RB's. A simple concept, but difficult to deliver for some teams it seems.
Somewhat amazing that they replaced all 5 OL this past season and now have one of the better OL's in the league.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:25 am

I take it that no one knows why we signed David Moore off of our own Practice Squad resulting in the release of Dwight Freeny? I hope that Pete and Darrell Bevell are not trying to say that adding Moore would be a significant upgrade over the WR's we already have on our roster. I have been worried that all 3 of our starting WR's "disappear" for large stretches of the game, but, I never believed that it was our receiver's fault.

That is why I wondered if there was an INJURY to one of starting Wide Outs that precipitated this roster move. So far, no one has been able to answer that question, why waive Freeney and replace him with Moore. Do they value Moore so much that they didn't want to lose him to another team?? If he is THAT good then why was he NOT on the roster already??? Inquiring minds want to know!

Maybe they think he could help the passing game in the Red Zone, kind of a bookend to a resurging Jimmy Graham?? I sure hope that someone, anyone can find out for us why this move and why now.

All of THAT said, I am STILL "bullish" on our prospects to win our division. We have our destiny in our own hands, we take care of business and defeat the Lambs at the CLINK along with defeating the rest of our foes ( IF the Lamb's only defeat the rest of the way is to us) and we will win the National Conference West Division.

But, what of our playoff prospects? I know that many of us, myself included do not believe that our team would go very deep considering our up and down play this season.

BUT! consider, we have NOT been "blown out" and our loses have had a unhealthy dose of self inflicted wounds that IF "cleaned up" would lead to different out comes.

Consider, Russell Wilson is OUR QB and by his shear will can turn what appears to be a certain defeat into an unbelievable win. IF he has enough time to throw the ball, IF he is not repeatedly sacked and otherwise harassed, IF he can be a bit more accurate, that miss to TL that led to that "pick 6" boggled my mind (not hard to do these days...) because it was so unlike RW.

Consider, Darrell Bevell seems to have "upped" his game by calling a more creative less predictable game, excepting that fake field goal that STILL has many of us baffled.

Do I believe that we have the team to hoist the Lombardi in February? You know, stranger things have happened. Who in their right mind would have predicted that the Eli Manning Giants would have defeated the N.E. Pats. TWICE! The Pats. themselves have made it to the "big dance" in seasons where they didn't really have the talent or even the consistent play of other seasons. The credit of course always goes to the "hoodie" as being a miracle worker.

There has been other teams in other years (The Stealers in XL) that hadn't played the consistent ball to give anyone the impression that it had been "their year". So as a Seahawk fan, I HAVE to believe that it COULD happen, this COULD be our year to accomplish the thing that very few people, especially the so-called experts believe can be done and that is win our second Super Bowl.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:25 am

I take it that no one knows why we signed David Moore off of our own Practice Squad resulting in the release of Dwight Freeny? I hope that Pete and Darrell Bevell are not trying to say that adding Moore would be a significant upgrade over the WR's we already have on our roster. I have been worried that all 3 of our starting WR's "disappear" for large stretches of the game, but, I never believed that it was our receiver's fault.

That is why I wondered if there was an INJURY to one of starting Wide Outs that precipitated this roster move. So far, no one has been able to answer that question, why waive Freeney and replace him with Moore. Do they value Moore so much that they didn't want to lose him to another team?? If he is THAT good then why was he NOT on the roster already??? Inquiring minds want to know!

Maybe they think he could help the passing game in the Red Zone, kind of a bookend to a resurging Jimmy Graham?? I sure hope that someone, anyone can find out for us why this move and why now.

All of THAT said, I am STILL "bullish" on our prospects to win our division. We have our destiny in our own hands, we take care of business and defeat the Lambs at the CLINK along with defeating the rest of our foes ( IF the Lamb's only defeat the rest of the way is to us) and we will win the National Conference West Division.

But, what of our playoff prospects? I know that many of us, myself included do not believe that our team would go very deep considering our up and down play this season.

BUT! consider, we have NOT been "blown out" and our loses have had a unhealthy dose of self inflicted wounds that IF "cleaned up" would lead to different out comes.

Consider, Russell Wilson is OUR QB and by his shear will can turn what appears to be a certain defeat into an unbelievable win. IF he has enough time to throw the ball, IF he is not repeatedly sacked and otherwise harassed, IF he can be a bit more accurate, that miss to TL that led to that "pick 6" boggled my mind (not hard to do these days...) because it was so unlike RW.

Consider, Darrell Bevell seems to have "upped" his game by calling a more creative less predictable game, excepting that fake field goal that STILL has many of us baffled.

Do I believe that we have the team to hoist the Lombardi in February? You know, stranger things have happened. Who in their right mind would have predicted that the Eli Manning Giants would have defeated the N.E. Pats. TWICE! The Pats. themselves have made it to the "big dance" in seasons where they didn't really have the talent or even the consistent play of other seasons. The credit of course always goes to the "hoodie" as being a miracle worker.

There has been other teams in other years (The Stealers in XL) that hadn't played the consistent ball to give anyone the impression that it had been "their year". So as a Seahawk fan, I HAVE to believe that it COULD happen, this COULD be our year to accomplish the thing that very few people, especially the so-called experts believe can be done and that is win our second Super Bowl.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:31 am

I think someone started snooping around for Moore. Probably Atlanta since Julio Jones is too banged up to make any impact on games right now. Maybe the Rams with their guy being out for a couple weeks. No matter who it was, Carroll thought he had to protect him and so needed the roster spot.

I always thought it was about the roster spot and not what Freeny said or done. Thank goodness it was what I thought.
idhawkman
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum