what does it mean to be a seahawk fan?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

what does it mean to be a seahawk fan?

Postby rottweiler » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:18 am

Our beloved NFL team has always been the underdog. And I don't think it much of an imaginative stretch to assume that most of us die-hard Hawk fans adamantly believe that either the Hawks or us have for whatever reason(s) ever felt particularly welcome by the other 31 teams in The League and their fans.

Like Ponyboy and Sodapop Curtis and Dally Winston and the rest of the "Greasers" gang in S.E. Hinton's coming-of-age 1967 novel, we have always been The Outsiders. The NFL's castoff. Its ugly stepchild. The subject of its pranks, its abuse, its bullying.

In 200 words or less, can you tell us how you can identify on a deeply personal level — i.e. something beyond the trite — with what the Seahawks represent to the NFL?

I'll start with:

All my life I have been at war trying to earn some respect at whatever I've committed myself to do, and I don't really feel like I've ever gotten enough. I have tried my level best not to let it make me angry and weary of life in general, but I have not been able to do it on my own. I credit a few things for that, like: family, friends, music, my faith in God, and the Seattle Seahawks.

Life has been very hard for me. And though I am not thankful to God for all the circumstances in which He's placed me, I am thankful to Him in all of them.

The Seahawks are, to me, a personal manifestation of me. I love this franchise because I empathize with what it represents: namely, being an pugnacious, Rasputin-esque outsider who won't quit, who keeps getting back up every time "The Man" — a.k.a. The NFL — tries to hurt it or ultimately, kill it.

Like the Seahawks, I won't quit. Ever.

That is what being a die-hard Seahawk fan means to me.
rottweiler
Legacy

Re: what does it mean to be a seahawk fan?

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:27 am

We're the underdog because we're from a mid sized market that's way off the beaten path for 90% of the country, we are not an 80 year old established team with a recognizable name like the Packers, Bears, or Giants, and we don't have a sure fire HOF as our quarterback like the Broncos do with Peyton. But I'm fine with being the underdog as it has no effect on the outcome and it makes it that much more satisfying when we win.

As far as the team being a part of my personality, about the only thing I can identify with is the underdog mentality, or being under appreciated. I've been a Seahawk fan from the get go. I was in heading into my senior year of college in the fall of 1976, saw them on campus in their first ever training camp, I was a season ticket holder for 10 years, and I have watched nearly every game since their inception. I don't want to go to my grave having not seeing my team hoist a Lombardi, something that a whole lot of Cleveland Browns fans and Detroit Lions fans have already done.

As a matter of fact, I heard a while ago that a long time Browns fan, as part of his last will and testimony, requested that players of the Cleveland Browns be his pall bearers, so they could let him down one last time.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:34 pm

There is nothing in football fandom more disgusting to me than the prancing, poser that is the bandwagon fan. Someone who wants to relish in the spoils of victory without having paid the price to feel the satisfaction that triumph brings to the ones who have truly earned it. I became a Seahawk fan simply as a matter of chance, when my military employed father moved to Silverdale, WA in 1976. I was a fan of the game, & idolized Roger Staubach, but it was the Seattle Seahawks who won my adulation as a fan when an impressionable kid watched that 1st Zorn to Largent completion. That 1st trick play by Herrera, That 1st Jacob Green sack.
I've always liked being different. It is not mainstream to be a fan of a team that has a history such as ours, one that, while possessing their share of winning seasons, never achieved the ultimate goal. I liked that part of it. It validates the purity of being a fan of a sports team for the sake of that city & team itself, not how many rings, trophies, & or championships they have in their display case. This is why I have always admired fans of teams like the Browns, Lions, & others, who love their teams regardless. I'll admit that as I've grown older & my worldview has caused me to become a little jaded, I now see the Seahawks more for what they are, a sports team owned by a rich guy designed to make money for the owner. A business designed to succeed. But that wild eyed teenager is still in there, cheering every win, gutting every loss, & giving my heart to a team of people who have no idea who I am personally. As much as I would love to see that Lombardi brought to Seattle, it really has no bearing on my love for my Seahawks because that love is unconditional, win or lose.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:14 pm

Vegaseahawk wrote:There is nothing in football fandom more disgusting to me than the prancing, poser that is the bandwagon fan. Someone who wants to relish in the spoils of victory without having paid the price to feel the satisfaction that triumph brings to the ones who have truly earned it. I became a Seahawk fan simply as a matter of chance, when my military employed father moved to Silverdale, WA in 1976. I was a fan of the game, & idolized Roger Staubach, but it was the Seattle Seahawks who won my adulation as a fan when an impressionable kid watched that 1st Zorn to Largent completion. That 1st trick play by Herrera, That 1st Jacob Green sack.

I've always liked being different. It is not mainstream to be a fan of a team that has a history such as ours, one that, while possessing their share of winning seasons, never achieved the ultimate goal. I liked that part of it. It validates the purity of being a fan of a sports team for the sake of that city & team itself, not how many rings, trophies, & or championships they have in their display case. This is why I have always admired fans of teams like the Browns, Lions, & others, who love their teams regardless. I'll admit that as I've grown older & my worldview has caused me to become a little jaded, I now see the Seahawks more for what they are, a sports team owned by a rich guy designed to make money for the owner. A business designed to succeed. But that wild eyed teenager is still in there, cheering every win, gutting every loss, & giving my heart to a team of people who have no idea who I am personally. As much as I would love to see that Lombardi brought to Seattle, it really has no bearing on my love for my Seahawks because that love is unconditional, win or lose.

That was beautiful, Vegas my dogg.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:35 am

Vegaseahawk wrote:There is nothing in football fandom more disgusting to me than the prancing, poser that is the bandwagon fan. Someone who wants to relish in the spoils of victory without having paid the price to feel the satisfaction that triumph brings to the ones who have truly earned it. I became a Seahawk fan simply as a matter of chance, when my military employed father moved to Silverdale, WA in 1976. I was a fan of the game, & idolized Roger Staubach, but it was the Seattle Seahawks who won my adulation as a fan when an impressionable kid watched that 1st Zorn to Largent completion. That 1st trick play by Herrera, That 1st Jacob Green sack.

I have a slightly different take. I like the diehards like us in this forum better. We know the game and we've been through all the headaches and heartaches that this team has caused us for nearly 40 years. If I want to sit down and watch a game or rub elbows, I'd rather it be with a diehard. I like talking football with someone that really knows the game because I can always learn something from them. Sometimes the newbies and bandwagoners can ask too many stupid questions at moments when I don't want to take the time to answer.

But the bandwagoners and newcomers are fans, too. They pay their money for game tickets, they buy the paraphernalia, they add to the decibel level at C-link just like us diehards. They are a part of a large and varied fan base and I personally welcome them to our brotherhood. A lot of diehards start out as bandwagoners.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:51 am

My definition of a bandwagon fan is someone who has no loyalty to a particular team. Can bandwagoners become die hards? Sure, it may happen, but the very nature of the bandwagon fan is what prevents them from becoming a loyal fan. As soon as that championship run is over, the bandwagon fan is on to the next team who is on the rise. This is what I am describing. Not newbies. We were all newbies at one time. There is a difference, & it's not hard to see. I can tell a bandwagon fan vs a newbie after speaking to them for about 20 seconds. The newbie has a story about when or how he/she became a fan, a bandwagoner does not, they'll usually admit to following another team until they got "tired" of losing or some other such crap. They'll jump ship as soon as times get lean. The newbie fan can be irritable, to be sure, but it is up to the die hard fan to culture them in all things Seahawk, so that they may carry on the traditions after we're gone.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:13 pm

Only when you have been in the lowest valley, can you know the joy and exultation of being on the highest mountain. No way a band Waggoner could know that. We are at the summit again, ready to assault the peak: River, Rotty, HS, C-bob, all you, its been a privilege. For the first time in my life WE have the team I have always wanted. WE have the Rock hard defense, and the RB like Harris, Riggens, or Czonka. IF we lose, then I will say that he was the greatest of all time. However, I have a really good feeling about this game.

Touchdown Seahawks!!

obi
obiken
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:26 pm

RiverDog wrote:
I have a slightly different take. I like the diehards like us in this forum better. We know the game and we've been through all the headaches and heartaches that this team has caused us for nearly 40 years. If I want to sit down and watch a game or rub elbows, I'd rather it be with a diehard. I like talking football with someone that really knows the game because I can always learn something from them. Sometimes the newbies and bandwagoners can ask too many stupid questions at moments when I don't want to take the time to answer.

But the bandwagoners and newcomers are fans, too. They pay their money for game tickets, they buy the paraphernalia, they add to the decibel level at C-link just like us diehards. They are a part of a large and varied fan base and I personally welcome them to our brotherhood. A lot of diehards start out as bandwagoners.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel.
The more we see bandwagon fans the more it lets us know we've arrived.
Personally I love bandwagon fans, even though they do, as you said, ask STUPID questions that I just don't want to answer during games, I love bandwagon fans because every dollar they spend on Seahawks gear and tickets, is money that either directly or indirectly helps the team.

So I will gladly roll my eyes and ignore the stupid bandwagon fan trying to pass himself off as a real fan, knowing that the bigger our fan base, the more we'll see the Seahawks on nationally televised games, the more free agents will be tempted to come play for us, etc...

To me it's an annoying, and unavoidable, but ultimately good barometer of our teams success.
monkey
Legacy

Postby monkey » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:33 pm

I was born and raised in Fargo ND, but I saw a Zorn to Largent play when I was six or seven years old, and I've been all Seahawks ever since.
I've got pictures as a ten year old with a patch on my eye (I got superglue in it...don't ask) and my Largent jersey on.
All my life I've been "the Seahawks fan" in a room full of Vikings and Packers fans.

When I joined the US Navy (because the first Gulf War started and I really HAD to serve!) and filled my "dream sheet", I asked to be stationed in Seattle, because I wanted to see Seahawks football games. So I got stationed on the USS Carl Vinson which was dry docked in Bremerton Washington.
That was in 1991. Remember 91?
Yeah, we had Tez, and one of the worst teams in the history of the NFL.
It didn't matter, I actually moved to Bremerton just to see Seahawks football games.
After getting out of the Navy I stayed on in Seattle for a while, (my favorite city in the world), but ended up getting married to my high school sweetheart, when I came back to Fargo to visit family, and have been stuck here since.
I've resigned myself to this cold and dreary fate, only occasionally getting back to Seattle, but I console myself with the fact that, at least I can still scream my guts out for the Seahawks each and every game.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:38 pm

Of all things, I started off as a Patriots fan in 1978, the first year I followed the NFL. I liked their original uniform (still do) with the Pat in a 3 point stance, and some of their players (Steve Grogan, Russ Francis, among others).

I also followed the Bears because of Walter Payton, and the Falcons with Steve Bartkowski, along with their uni back in the day. At 9 yrs old, uniforms were a big deal.

And that's what 1st caught my eye with the Seahawks, who I had watched while visiting my grandfather in Renton, where my dad grew up. Witnessed #10 running for his life before hooking up with #80. Zorn to Largent. I was hooked. And that uniform just hit home. Hard. I still like the original '76-82 look the best.

In 1979, I wrote Jim Zorn a fan letter, and included several Sport magazine pictures for him to sign. He did, autographing all the pics along with response letter that he sent out to all his fans. In fact, I still have those items today. Amazingly, they've survived all my moves through the years.

And, needless to say, I've been fan ever since, representing The 12th Man in the bay area of CA, smack dab in the middle of 49er (and Raider) country.

Can't tell you how Awesome it was to be the only one walking around with a smile on my face last week, after beating SF to reach the Super Bowl.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:07 am

If we want to go back into our childhoods, then I can beat most anybody's recollections. I stared out a Cleveland Browns fan, when Jimmy Brown was the best running back EVER and the Browns were quarterbacked by a guy named Frank Ryan, coached by a guy named Blanton Collier, and had a left footed, straight ahead kicker/defensive tackle named Lou Groza.

Since then, I was a fan of the Niners and Cowboys (NFL) and Chiefs and Dolphins (AFL/AFC). Once the Dolphins broke up, I was kinda homeless for a couple of years until 1976.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby PasadenaHawk » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:49 am

Been a Hawks fan since '76. I was just a kid, but some of my best memories I have as a child was watching Hawk games with my dad in North Central Idaho.

I recall in the late '80s and early 90's serving in the Navy on the East Coast. Occasionally a guy would come up to me asking about my Hawks jersey. I was literally the only Hawks fan some guys had ever knowingly seen. I remember some giving me props for sticking with such a crappy team, but most giving me a hard time.

Just before our 1st SB run while living in San Diego. I worked for the City. A girl in an elevator looked at me and saw my Hawks logo around my neck. She gave that old familiar loathing 'Seahawks'?!? I've heard a million times. She tried to convince me since I work for the City of San Diego I should be a Chargers fan. Stupid as she was, I did give her a response. I told her I am and will always be three things, straight, christian, and a Hawks fan.

Last year some guy looked at my hawks logo and asked, don't they suck? My response was, they have at times in the past, but they are actually really good. But of course, internally I am thinking, what a D.B. who gives a damn if they are good or not? That is a bandwaggon fan.

Then there is this year. my big boss is a Steelers fan. last week, another guy asked him in a public meeting if he would be rooting for the Hawks in the SB. The big boss's response was that same loathing reply 'SeaHawks'?!? that I heard from the girl in the elevator and a million other times before.

Even after making the playoffs what, 8 times in the past 11 years, fans of other teams still think the Hawks are some pathetic excuse of a team. I think only a SB win will shake it, even then it may not.

All I can say is the Hawks have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember, and always will.
PasadenaHawk
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:27 am

I started off as a Chiefs fan. Len Dawson and Stram the Man! 70's. Then I changed to the Seahawks. I moved to Seattle in the nineties and wanted to root for the home team. And I did. To hell with the Chiefs.
Used to be a Seahawk season ticket holder. Now I am abroad and watching the games wherever I can watch them.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby XpertDBA » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:54 am

I've been a Seahawks fan from day 1. Born in Seattle, raised in Bellingham I couldn't wait for every Sunday listening to Pete Gross and watching every Seahawks game. While my sister was being born, I was out in the car listening to a Seahawks/Lions football game. I went to college in Arizona and was always disappointed when I couldnt' see a game because we could only see 1 or 2 games on the national channels every Sunday. I got a job in Denver, CO and have been here ever since. I remember all the big Bronco/Seahawks games and have always HATED the Broncos, even though I live here. I once bet a lady on a Seahawks/Broncos game being played here in Denver and end up having to paint the outside walls of her house because I lost. My entire office pulled up chairs and watched me painting her house up on a ladder for an entire weekend, laughing and making fun of me.

I have been a Seahawk fan in enemy land for 28 years now. I am due some revenge, and can't WAIT to shut up these pompous overconfident Denver Donkey fans......they are really some of the most unknowledgeable fans I have ever witnessed, and think that just because #18 puts on his jersey that the Broncos cannot possibly lose. I'm thinking the Seahawks will win by more than 10.....

GO SEAHAWKS !!!!
XpertDBA
Legacy

Postby PasadenaHawk » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:25 pm

XpertDBA wrote:I've been a Seahawks fan from day 1. Born in Seattle, raised in Bellingham I couldn't wait for every Sunday listening to Pete Gross and watching every Seahawks game. While my sister was being born, I was out in the car listening to a Seahawks/Lions football game. I went to college in Arizona and was always disappointed when I couldnt' see a game because we could only see 1 or 2 games on the national channels every Sunday. I got a job in Denver, CO and have been here ever since. I remember all the big Bronco/Seahawks games and have always HATED the Broncos, even though I live here. I once bet a lady on a Seahawks/Broncos game being played here in Denver and end up having to paint the outside walls of her house because I lost. My entire office pulled up chairs and watched me painting her house up on a ladder for an entire weekend, laughing and making fun of me.

I have been a Seahawk fan in enemy land for 28 years now. I am due some revenge, and can't WAIT to shut up these pompous overconfident Denver Donkey fans......they are really some of the most unknowledgeable fans I have ever witnessed, and think that just because #18 puts on his jersey that the Broncos cannot possibly lose. I'm thinking the Seahawks will win by more than 10.....

GO SEAHAWKS !!!!

wow! Some bet. Sorry you were on the losing end of it. back in the day, Broncos owned us so that was quite the risk you took. Sounds like you couldn't imagine a better SB opponent.

Touchdown Seahawks!
PasadenaHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:53 pm

Eaglehawk wrote:I started off as a Chiefs fan. Len Dawson and Stram the Man! 70's. Then I changed to the Seahawks. I moved to Seattle in the nineties and wanted to root for the home team. And I did. To hell with the Chiefs.
Used to be a Seahawk season ticket holder. Now I am abroad and watching the games wherever I can watch them.

Me, too! Mike Garrett, Otis Taylor, Bobby Bell, Willie Lanier.... those guys were awesome. My dad was a Raiders fan because he liked rooting for an old man by the name of George Blanda. I always liked taking the opposite team/opinion/argument, so rooting for the Chiefs came pretty natural for me.

Edit: Or how about the creator of the touchdown dance, Elmo Wright?
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum