Must Re-Signs

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Must Re-Signs

Postby Largent80 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:21 am

We have a LOT of one year deals on players. Who are your must re-signs going forward.

For me.

With Kams future in question McDougald is a must.
Brown needs to be LT for a few years
Richardson is obvious.
User avatar
Largent80
Legacy
 
Posts: 995
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: Magnolia, Texas

Re: Must Re-Signs

Postby idhawkman » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:15 am

I'm liking Jimmy more and more now that Russell has found him. Did you see that catch in traffic where RW put the ball up high and right with the defender all over JG in the first quarter. Got both RW and JG involved in the game early. Kudos to Bevell for doing that.
User avatar
idhawkman
Legacy
 
Posts: 455
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:00 am

Re: Must Re-Signs

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:42 am

At the beginning of the year, I would have had completely different answers and they are likely to change. Brown, Richardson, & Graham could all be possible if Kam and Avril don't return. We will see. Right now,

I Need: Brown, Richardson, & Graham (+ a kicker and a back-up QB)

I'd like: (if the price is right): Willson, P-Rich, Maxi and Joeckel

C-Ya: Lacy, Willhoite, Shead, Aboushi
User avatar
Hawk Sista
Legacy
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:58 am
Location: Central California

Re: Must Re-Signs

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:32 pm

Richardson and Brown are no brainers IMO.

Graham is going to be way too expensive. We'd probably be better off trying to see if Luke will take a home town discount. Vanett looked pretty good vs. the Eagles and if he continues to impress, he might make Luke expendable.

Shead is going to be interesting if he comes back and plays well at the end of the season. You can't have enough cornerbacks.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7251
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: Must Re-Signs

Postby mykc14 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:55 pm

RiverDog wrote:Richardson and Brown are no brainers IMO.

Graham is going to be way too expensive. We'd probably be better off trying to see if Luke will take a home town discount. Vanett looked pretty good vs. the Eagles and if he continues to impress, he might make Luke expendable.

Shead is going to be interesting if he comes back and plays well at the end of the season. You can't have enough cornerbacks.


I agree about Richardson... Brown is actually still under contract next year so he’s not a priority (although he certainly could hold out if he doesn’t get paid!!) I don’t see Shead or Wilson commanding much more than the veteran minimum...

Graham is interesting. He loves it here and He has a great relationship with RW. It seems like if any TE might take a bit of a hometown discount it is Graham (still will get 9-10 mill a year though)...
mykc14
Legacy
 
Posts: 1250
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:45 am

Re: Must Re-Signs

Postby mykc14 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:52 pm

Looking at next years salary cap we have about 8 mil (without a cap increase) to spend. Obviously that’s not very much. We can save 7.5 mil if Avril retires or is released, about 5 mil letting Lane go, and 2 mil cutting loose Niko Thorpe. That’s another 14 or so mil we have to work with. A Sherman trade or release would free up another 11 mil.

There’s also a lot of potential to rework big contracts as Wilson, Wags, and Baldwin all have a big jump in their cap hit next year (Wilson goes from 14 to 23, Wags goes from 7 to 13, and Baldwin jumps from 4 to 12 mil).

With ET and Brown in the last year of their deals the are probably going to get extended this offseason which could free up a few more mill as well. Another guy that could be in this mix would be Sherm. They could save a few mil. by extending him as well.

So based on this if the cap increases 10 mil and the Hawks release or retire Avril, Lane, Thorpe and extend Brown and ET I would say the Hawks should have about 30 mil to work with next off-season. Re-doing Wilson and Wags could net them another 6 or 7 mil if they need it. That’s without doing anything with Sherm. The potential with him would be to save another 3 plus million to extend him or save 11 mil by cutting him loose or trading him...

Really the Hawks are set up pretty nicely to create cap if they need it.
mykc14
Legacy
 
Posts: 1250
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:45 am

Re: Must Re-Signs

Postby Oly » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:32 am

mykc14 wrote:Looking at next years salary cap we have about 8 mil (without a cap increase) to spend. Obviously that’s not very much. We can save 7.5 mil if Avril retires or is released, about 5 mil letting Lane go, and 2 mil cutting loose Niko Thorpe. That’s another 14 or so mil we have to work with. A Sherman trade or release would free up another 11 mil.

There’s also a lot of potential to rework big contracts as Wilson, Wags, and Baldwin all have a big jump in their cap hit next year (Wilson goes from 14 to 23, Wags goes from 7 to 13, and Baldwin jumps from 4 to 12 mil).

With ET and Brown in the last year of their deals the are probably going to get extended this offseason which could free up a few more mill as well. Another guy that could be in this mix would be Sherm. They could save a few mil. by extending him as well.

So based on this if the cap increases 10 mil and the Hawks release or retire Avril, Lane, Thorpe and extend Brown and ET I would say the Hawks should have about 30 mil to work with next off-season. Re-doing Wilson and Wags could net them another 6 or 7 mil if they need it. That’s without doing anything with Sherm. The potential with him would be to save another 3 plus million to extend him or save 11 mil by cutting him loose or trading him...

Really the Hawks are set up pretty nicely to create cap if they need it.


Thanks for doing that research for us! Given this, I say Brown, McDougald, a kicker, and Graham are musts. P-Rich if there is money.

Fieldgulls did a piece on the P-Rich/Graham debate a while ago (https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/11/28/1 ... -decisions), and I tend to agree with that author that if I had to choose, it would be Graham.

A reliable red zone TD threat is the most important piece of the puzzle right now (at least until the run game is back on track). Russ has thrown 26 TDs this year; 9 of those are red zone throws to Graham. Graham's 9 TDs are tied for the receiving lead with Brown and Hopkins and he's killing it in the red zone. Graham leads the league in RZ targets (25), receptions (15), TDs (9), and is second in both RZ yards and the % of a teams RZ passes that go to that player (Graham has 105 yards and gets 36.2% of Russ' RZ throws; he trails only Davante Adams who has 122 and 36.5%).

Football is about scoring TDs, which is why I think Graham > P-Rich, even if he's more expensive.
User avatar
Oly
Legacy
 
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:01 pm
Location: Podunk, IN

Re: Must Re-Signs

Postby idhawkman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:20 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:At the beginning of the year, I would have had completely different answers and they are likely to change. Brown, Richardson, & Graham could all be possible if Kam and Avril don't return. We will see. Right now,

I Need: Brown, Richardson, & Graham (+ a kicker and a back-up QB)

I'd like: (if the price is right): Willson, P-Rich, Maxi and Joeckel

C-Ya: Lacy, Willhoite, Shead, Aboushi


I think the verdict is still out on Shead.

I would like to see Brown Prich, JG, Maxi and to a lesser degree Joke-L depending on how he performs down the stretch.
User avatar
idhawkman
Legacy
 
Posts: 455
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:00 am

Re: Must Re-Signs

Postby idhawkman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:30 pm

mykc14 wrote:Looking at next years salary cap we have about 8 mil (without a cap increase) to spend. Obviously that’s not very much. We can save 7.5 mil if Avril retires or is released, about 5 mil letting Lane go, and 2 mil cutting loose Niko Thorpe. That’s another 14 or so mil we have to work with. A Sherman trade or release would free up another 11 mil.

There’s also a lot of potential to rework big contracts as Wilson, Wags, and Baldwin all have a big jump in their cap hit next year (Wilson goes from 14 to 23, Wags goes from 7 to 13, and Baldwin jumps from 4 to 12 mil).

With ET and Brown in the last year of their deals the are probably going to get extended this offseason which could free up a few more mill as well. Another guy that could be in this mix would be Sherm. They could save a few mil. by extending him as well.

So based on this if the cap increases 10 mil and the Hawks release or retire Avril, Lane, Thorpe and extend Brown and ET I would say the Hawks should have about 30 mil to work with next off-season. Re-doing Wilson and Wags could net them another 6 or 7 mil if they need it. That’s without doing anything with Sherm. The potential with him would be to save another 3 plus million to extend him or save 11 mil by cutting him loose or trading him...

Really the Hawks are set up pretty nicely to create cap if they need it.


Do you really think there's going to be any increase in cap this year given the revenue losses the players have caused? I see the cap going down if anything.
User avatar
idhawkman
Legacy
 
Posts: 455
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:00 am

Re: Must Re-Signs

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:51 pm

I cannot disagree with anyone's suggestions on who we need (or want). I'd like them all, save a few...but that simply cannot happen. I've ranked the chubby Richardson so highly because I have really been liking Sheldon here lately. I think his disruptive push up the middle (and that awesome forced fumble) was the key to our beating Philly. With Cliff gone, likely - Sheldon feels even more important and you cannot have too many super-freaky DTs, IMHO. (yes, I know Cliff is a DE)

Still, I love P-Rich and Willson and Shead could be valuable if he gets healthy. See, I told you guys I'd suck at being GM. Maybe we put them all in ring and have them fight it out and come up with contracts that let us keep our studs.
User avatar
Hawk Sista
Legacy
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:58 am
Location: Central California

Re: Must Re-Signs

Postby mykc14 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:25 pm

idhawkman wrote:
Do you really think there's going to be any increase in cap this year given the revenue losses the players have caused? I see the cap going down if anything.


I don’t know, the projection I got was from over the cap, which is usually pretty accurate. Personally I would be surprised if it were to raise the full 10 mil, but I also think the cap numbers are based on money that the league already is getting from increases in TV money and contracts that have already been signed so I would think that it still will increase until it is time to negotiate the next TV deal.
mykc14
Legacy
 
Posts: 1250
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:45 am

Re: Must Re-Signs

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:28 am

idhawkman wrote:Do you really think there's going to be any increase in cap this year given the revenue losses the players have caused? I see the cap going down if anything.


There will absolutely be a cap increase (my opinion, not news), the NFL profits continue to increase and the cap is tied to those profits. This whole "the NFL is circling the drain" thing is way overblown.
User avatar
c_hawkbob
Legacy
 
Posts: 3130
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:34 pm
Location: K-evil Kentucky, 42053

Re: Must Re-Signs

Postby Oly » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:51 am

Hawk Sista wrote:I cannot disagree with anyone's suggestions on who we need (or want). I'd like them all, save a few...but that simply cannot happen. I've ranked the chubby Richardson so highly because I have really been liking Sheldon here lately. I think his disruptive push up the middle (and that awesome forced fumble) was the key to our beating Philly. With Cliff gone, likely - Sheldon feels even more important and you cannot have too many super-freaky DTs, IMHO. (yes, I know Cliff is a DE)

Still, I love P-Rich and Willson and Shead could be valuable if he gets healthy. See, I told you guys I'd suck at being GM. Maybe we put them all in ring and have them fight it out and come up with contracts that let us keep our studs.


Of all the free agents, I agree that Sheldon may have been the most important to the team this year. But he will be the most expensive, too, and I think Schneider needs to prioritize spending on the offensive side of the ball. If he can lock down Brown and Graham and through retirements/releases/cap magic clear up enough to get Sheldon under contract, I'd love it. I just have a hard time seeing that happen.
User avatar
Oly
Legacy
 
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:01 pm
Location: Podunk, IN

Re: Must Re-Signs

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:46 am

I'm pretty sure as mentioned above, the Cap increases are tied to the contracts that currently exist with sponsors and other revenue sources, so there should be the expected Cap increase which averages 10 - 12 million.
I don't see a lot of problems signing the big 3 of Graham, Brown, and S. Richardson as other decisions will be made and there is doubt about Avril and maybe Kam. We'd have to take a Cap hit with those 2 if they didn't return, but the other contracts could minimize the impact depending when and how the money is spread out.
But it's not up to us. The FA's might just leave for other teams if the $ are exceedingly rich.
NorthHawk
Legacy
 
Posts: 4379
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 am

Re: Must Re-Signs

Postby Feez » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:22 pm

Duane Brown, Sheldon Richardson and Bradley McDougald for sure. TE is going to be the tough spot for us we have to decide between Graham and Willson because I don't see any way we keep both. Richardson is coming up big too and he should get a big contract. lots of changes coming next season
User avatar
Feez
Legacy
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:53 am

Re: Must Re-Signs

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:24 pm

Vannett is coming on lately so he should be able to fill some of the roles that Willson played - and he's a better blocker.
Someone mentioned him to be like a Zach Miller type and I see the similarities. He might just end up being a very good all around TE at some point.
NorthHawk
Legacy
 
Posts: 4379
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 am

Re: Must Re-Signs

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:57 am

NorthHawk wrote:Vannett is coming on lately so he should be able to fill some of the roles that Willson played - and he's a better blocker.
Someone mentioned him to be like a Zach Miller type and I see the similarities. He might just end up being a very good all around TE at some point.


Luke is very fast for a TE, creates some matchup headaches for defenses. That's the one thing he has going for him vs. Vannett.

If Graham leaves, I think that we keep Luke.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7251
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: Must Re-Signs

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:10 am

I like having the three of them. We run a lot of three TE sets, unless we draft a good one I think all three have a decent chance of being with the team next year.
User avatar
c_hawkbob
Legacy
 
Posts: 3130
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:34 pm
Location: K-evil Kentucky, 42053

Re: Must Re-Signs

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:48 am

They're developing Swoopes and Donatell via the PS, too so maybe they see one of them in a role next year should one or more of the current TE's move on.
NorthHawk
Legacy
 
Posts: 4379
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 am

Re: Must Re-Signs

Postby idhawkman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:03 am

I know there's been a lot of controversy over Jimmy but he is producing and far out producing any other TE regarding TDs this year. (Can't remember where I saw that but I remember it). I don't know how we can realistically let double digit TDs just walk out the door.
User avatar
idhawkman
Legacy
 
Posts: 455
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:00 am


Return to Seahawks Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests