OT: Knee surgery and retirement

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

OT: Knee surgery and retirement

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:19 am

Hopefully Yoder and Mak will allow me to let some of my friends here in on some life changing personal plans of mine and let me post an off topic personal notice here in the main forum.

I have been fighting an arthritic left knee for the past several years, and I'm finally getting it taken care of. I am due to go in for a full knee replacement a week from today, on Wednesday the 13th. I just had my final checkup to clear me for surgery yesterday, along with a class about the surgery and the subsequent recovery that the wife and I attended. It will be the first time in my life that I've been admitted to a hospital as I am expected to spend one or two nights there, hopefully getting discharged in time to see TNF from home.

The surgery dove tails quite nicely into my retirement plans as following surgery, I'll go on short term disability for 3 months and stay on payroll, then when I get kicked off disability, take the balance of my vacation and officially retire on what is perhaps the most appropriate date one could imagine: April 1st of 2018, which also coincides with my wife becoming eligible for Medicare. Additionally, the wife had shoulder surgery back in January of this year so our deductibles and out of pocket expenses have already been met, and being that it's in December, there's not a lot for me to do around the house anyway, allowing me to dedicate 100% of my time to rehab.

My financial advisors think that we have a pretty darn good retirement plan. Our house has been paid off for some time and we don't have any outstanding debts, like car or boat payments, and we're empty nesters. I have been very fortunate (or wise) to have accumulated a healthy sum in my 401K as I have been contributing 16% of my paycheck for about 20 years, advice that I can't recommend highly enough for others to follow, plus my employer has been kicking in another 4%. We should be able to realize an income stream of at least 75% of what the two of us made when we were both working...the wife has been on disability for almost 2 years....even without taking my SS and allowing it to grow out. I have a retiree health plan courtesy of my employer that I've been grandfathered into that's pretty expensive pre-65 but is very good supplement once I go on Medicare in a couple of years.

My last day of actual work is this Friday, but I plan to come back in March for one day after I'm off disability. That will mark 40 years and 2 weeks since I started in the business straight out of college in March of 1978. It's been a long ride with more than a few bumps.

Anyhow, thanks again to Yoder and Mak for letting me spill my guts a little bit.

River Dog
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: OT: Knee surgery and retirement

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:23 am

Don't sweat the knee replacement,, you'll be up and around in no time! And congrats on the retirement, sounds like you've got a good plan mapped out for yourself, enjoy it!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:29 am

Sounds like you've planned well and everything came together cosmically as well. :)

Congratulations on your retirement, my good man.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:57 am

Good Luck to you.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Sounds like your set. Ensure you're still paying attention and letting your retirement income work for you. Safe, consistent investments in bedrock companies is usually the way to go. Don't let a financial adviser push you in stocks or investments that aren't safe. And keep active. You don't want to become too lethargic. Knee replacements are very good now. My uncle had knee replacements, he's doing much better than shooting steroids or medicines for knee pain and arthritis.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:06 pm

Congratulations to you, my friend. It sounds like you have a good game plan...but I say you go out and buy a boat or two. I will be in touch before your surgery and you make sure to enjoy these last few days. It is such a great thing to go out on one's own terms. Good for you!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:52 pm

RD,

I've known several people who have done full knee replacement (including one or two in their '80's), and it's the best thing that happened to them in a long time. Not only is the physical pain gone (of course there's recovery/initial rehab after surgery), but mentally there was a measurable difference, with a noticeable boost in their spirit. I know the pain/circumstances vary, but I see (and hope) nothing but good things for you moving forward.

Congrats on your dedication and perseverance throughout your work life. 40 yrs....wow, you've Earned this!

I haven't met anyone here in person, but for what it's worth, I do care. I think there's good people in this forum. I've re-read some of my recent posts, and without going into detail (or hijacking thread), I want to openly apologize to Sis, IG, or anyone else who felt under attack with some of the things I've said. I pride myself on being good person, even online (perhaps especially online), and I allowed a poor attitude to get the best of me.

I hope all goes as smoothly as possible for you and your wife moving forward.

Go Hawks!
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:47 pm

River,

Great to hear about your retirement. Not sure yet about your knee though.

My dad has had both knees and shoulders replaced. He's 84 yrs old now and he's been snowbirding down to Yuma AZ for about 34 years. He knows a lot of people who have had the surgery. Since mom passed in '05, he's met a new lady and has been with her for about 9 years now. She had both knees done as well as her brother in law. From what they've all told me, it really depends on the surgery. Some had one good surgery and the second was bad (still a lot of pain). What they all said is that since they are so close to Mexico, they recommend getting stem cell shots in the knee before going with the surgery. Its a three shot series at about $200 a piece down there but well worth it in their opinion.

You are probably too far along the path to getting this surgery and you definitely don't have the time to try Stem cell shots before the new year and your deductible goes back up, but keep it in mind for the next time. They all swear by it down there (and there's a lot of them down there).

Good luck in all your future adventures Riv. Nothing but the best wishes going out to you in your retirement.

Zorn, I've met a few of the posters here in person. River, OBS and IG are the ones that stick out most in my mind since we all met up for a game at the corner bar so many years ago. We should do another "group game" in the near future. I think back on that game often and what sticks out more than anything else is the group that met at the bar before the game.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:53 pm

It will be the first time in my life that I've been admitted to a hospital

Damn, you're sure one lucky man, RD! I thought I was on the lite side at 4... Broken Arm in 4th grade, Broken Leg skiing Snoqualmie Pass at 12, Hemorrhoids and an eye surgery. We should all be so lucky.
Have a successful surgery and a fast recovery. The retirement side.. I'm right behind you in about 3 years.
May we all live long and prosper.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:54 pm

Congrats RDog on retirement! Wishing you well on the surgery as well.

Definitely one of my favourite posters in here. I'll be keeping tabs here in the forum on ya.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:35 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Don't sweat the knee replacement,, you'll be up and around in no time! And congrats on the retirement, sounds like you've got a good plan mapped out for yourself, enjoy it!

Wow River I am so sorry for the pain, but I can tell you retirement for me has been vastly underrated!!
obiken
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:09 am

Riv, good luck with the surgery, but it sounds like you have planned it out perfectly!! You will be back on your feet by the time you normally would have retired anyway. Enjoy your retirement, you've earned it.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:11 pm

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone.

Idahawk, I really appreciate your suggestion. I did my homework when selecting a surgeon, and chose the best one I could find, a 63 year old doctor that's had 30 years experience, did his residency at the Mayo Clinic, and has seen all sorts of alternate methods and he feels that this is my best option. As a rule, one would figure that surgeons will always recommend surgery as that's what they do, but this guy doesn't need my business, and I've come to trust him. Just about everyone I talked to, doctors and patients alike, have told me that the key to a successful surgery is the rehab, so I intend to hit physical therapy in full Beast mode.

Likewise, ASF, I appreciate your advice regarding retirement planning. Although most of my funds are with one firm, I have accounts with 3 different financial advisors working for 3 different companies so I should get a pretty diversified opinion. If I have any advice to my younger friends, it's don't depend on Social Security and Medicare to be there for you when you retire. Start saving now, at least 15% of your paycheck, to a 401K or IRA. I've done a lot of stupid things in my life, but not saving for retirement wasn't one of them.

Cbob, everyone tells me that knee surgery is a piece of cake, but I'm still sweating it. I went to the hospital for my pre-surgery exam last Tuesday and my blood pressure was 30-40 points higher than what it normally runs. I'm extremely nervous about this, which is one of the reasons why I started the thread as I wanted to vent some of my anxiety to my friends.

And thanks for the complement, 86! I'll definitely keep you folks advised.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:51 am

River,

I'll be sending you all the best wishes for this surgery for you and your retirement.

My dad says that when you retire, you have to have Non-retired visitors sign a piece of paper stating that they will not divulge what retired people do with their time. I think he used that as a license to do the things he wouldn't let me do when I was a teenager. :o
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:09 pm

idhawkman wrote:River,

I'll be sending you all the best wishes for this surgery for you and your retirement.

My dad says that when you retire, you have to have Non-retired visitors sign a piece of paper stating that they will not divulge what retired people do with their time. I think he used that as a license to do the things he wouldn't let me do when I was a teenager. :o

Thanks, IDHawk.

Man, you ought to see the big hunk of metal they're going to be putting in my knee. No more free passes through a metal detector.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:32 am

I hope your last day was a good one, River. Congrats again.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:41 am

Hawk Sista wrote:I hope your last day was a good one, River. Congrats again.

Actually the knee hurt like hell, and I was really busy trying to get around to everyone for fear of someone feeling insulted if I didn't say goodbye, and we have a pretty big campus so I was on my feet a lot that last day. They've taken me off the anti inflammatory meds last Wednesday in preperation for the surgery and I realy felt it on Friday and yesterday. I couldn't bend the knee enough to put on a sock this morning.

Thanks for the well wishes and congrats, sis. Your friendship means a lot to me.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum