Missed take down of Hawks' receiver at end of game

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Missed take down of Hawks' receiver at end of game

Postby trents » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:49 pm

Didn't listen to the whole press conference but I didn't here Pete mention that blown officiating call during Seattle's final drive where the receiver was pulled down to the ground by the defender and Wilson had to throw an incomplete to another receiver who was covered on the sidelines. And there was no flag thrown. That one could have been a game changer.

What are the rules about commentaries on officiating by coaches and players? Are there also rules against the media reporters asking those questions in a press conference?
trents
Legacy

Re: Missed take down of Hawks' receiver at end of game

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:48 am

As far as I know, there are no hard and fast rules about coaches being critical of the officiating, but there is a line in the sand and coaches have been fined and/or disciplined for their remarks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Mike Holmgren was kicked off the competition committee due to his criticism of the officiating in SB XL.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Sox-n-hawks » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:50 am

As long as it’s not on the field.....

Joe Lockhart said: "I think everyone is aware of the rules that are in place of public criticism of our officials, and those who need to be reminded occasionally are reminded."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21743385/nfl-tells-teams-there-significant-discipline-offensive-conduct-officials
Sox-n-hawks
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:57 am

Sox-n-hawks wrote:As long as it’s not on the field.....

Joe Lockhart said: "I think everyone is aware of the rules that are in place of public criticism of our officials, and those who need to be reminded occasionally are reminded."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21743385/nfl-tells-teams-there-significant-discipline-offensive-conduct-officials

It's not just limited to the field of play. Coaches and players can be disciplined if they make public remarks deemed inappropriate by the league:

The NFL policy manual, distributed annually around the league, states: "Please note that public criticism by players or club employees of game officials or officiating is prohibited and is subject to fines and/or suspensions."

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/219774/do-nfl-players-coaches-face-fines-for-criticizing-officials
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Sox-n-hawks » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:03 am

Yet when other teams cry about something that's LEGAL i.e. Cam jumping the LOS.... they make rules against it.
Sox-n-hawks
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:10 am

Sox-n-hawks wrote:Yet when other teams cry about something that's LEGAL i.e. Cam jumping the LOS.... they make rules against it.

Yes, and I remember the helmut as a battering ram rule directed at Beast. And let's not forget about the scheduling rule about east coast teams playing on the west coast, and if you want to go further back in history, they once implemented a crowd noise rule as a direct reaction to the 12th man back in the old Kingdome.

But to be fair, the Vinny Testaverde helmut touchdown is what brought back instant replay.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Sox-n-hawks » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:12 am

For sure. Here's hoping for some hard hitting, clean football this weekend.
Sox-n-hawks
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:45 pm

Sox-n-hawks wrote:For sure. Here's hoping for some hard hitting, clean football this weekend.

...that results in a Seahawk win.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum