Just Byron Maxwell

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Just Byron Maxwell

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:57 pm

I know this has been thrown around a bit from other threads... however just focusing on him. What would you do once Walter comes back? Leave Walter at Nickle, and keep Byron at starting role? Because if Walter wasn't serving a suspension he would be starting over Byron right now.

However I think Byron has earned the right and has played up to his potential to take the spot over Walter... and even Brandon(assuming he comes back 100% from his injury, and beats all accounts of a suspension).

Byron has been with us since the 2011 Draft... his coverage skills are excellent. I say stay the course and leave him in at starter even when Walter Comes back.

So what you do you guys think we should do with Maxwell... make him our starter now? or not?

Credit our scouting department for getting the best of later round picks.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Re: Just Byron Maxwell

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:08 pm

That's a really good question and I guess we will see how it plays out.
3 INTs in 2 games is pretty good and I'm really impressed with the quality of the players as well as the coaching by Kris Richard and the others.
What depth at that position to have the #1 and #2 CB on the depth chart (opposite Sherman) not playing and #3 showing he belongs big time.

I would be seriously tempted to keep Maxwell in when the other 2 come back.
He seems to fit the physical mode better than Thurmond, being 3 inches taller and about 15lbs heavier.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:10 pm

When Browner was out earlier the pattern was to start Thurmond and then in the Nickle package to slide Thurmond over to the slot and Insert Maxwell into the cornerback position.

I think that this will be the strategy used again when Thurmond returns.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:16 pm

Almost reminds when Sherman got his chance. It was suppose to be Thurmond and Browner as starters, and Thurmond went down with an injury... and Sherman plugged in and the rest is history.

Wouldn't be ironic to see Thurmond who had another chance, and was playing well up until his recent dumb decisions..... would pave the way for Maxwell to be our starter?

:o
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:21 pm

I'm not sure, but I do know the first game that is what they did. Maxwell was the starter, but they moved them around. Maxwell is a good corner, certainly more physical than Thurmond, so I suppose it will depend on how the Hawks want to play it. Thurmonds technique is the best on the team ( and that includes Sherman) but Maxwell has shown IMHO a better nose for the ball, if it was my decision, Maxwell would indeed remain the starter on the outside.

The funny thing is, that slot corner, is a more complicated position, but Thurmond seems to handle it well, or at least better IMO than Maxwell, and the reverse is true in regards to playing the outside position...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:37 pm

savvyman wrote:When Browner was out earlier the pattern was to start Thurmond and then in the Nickle package to slide Thurmond over to the slot and Insert Maxwell into the cornerback position.

I think that this will be the strategy used again when Thurmond returns.

THIS.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:25 pm

I dunno, Bang Bang Maxwell and his Silver Hammer may have earned himself a starting gig, it'll be interesting to see how coach handles it ... I will say that I trust him implicitly in however he does choose to handle it. D-backfield definitely appears to be his strongest suit.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:30 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:I dunno, Bang Bang Maxwell and his Silver Hammer may have earned himself a starting gig, it'll be interesting to see how coach handles it ... I will say that I trust him implicitly in however he does choose to handle it. D-backfield definitely appears to be his strongest suit.

+1
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby makena » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:32 pm

I think the package is Browner and Thurmond on Nickles. So, when Thurmond comes back, it should be Maxwell and Thurmond. That's how it was when Thurmond scored that pick six against the Vikes... Maxwell is the back up to Browner...

However, you never know how they are going set up the personnel packages now with our depth...
makena
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:44 pm

makena wrote:I think the package is Browner and Thurmond on Nickles. So, when Thurmond comes back, it should be Maxwell and Thurmond. That's how it was when Thurmond scored that pick six against the Vikes... Maxwell is the back up to Browner...

However, you never know how they are going set up the personnel packages now with our depth...

Browner can't play nickle. I think he will remain a reserve until his number is called upon..

I guess overall it is a good problem to have once Thurmond Comes back and Browner is healthy to play(and isn't suspended) and a solid play from Maxwell.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:57 pm

I seriously doubt Browner ever plays in a Hawks uni ever again. What a frigin bonehead!
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:59 pm

Browner doesn't have the speed to play in the slot, have a feeling they may use him as depth when he gets back, or on the outside as a starter with a very short leash..... Maxwell IMHO will indeed remain where he is, when both WTIII and Browner return.. Maxwell was indeed the "starter" over Thurmond after Browner was hurt. Nice thing is that the depth allows them to move the pieces to the best possible position on the board.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Well Maxwell has more INTs then Revis..... however a great read on Earl Thomas putting his stamp on Maxwell

http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2 ... 16xml.html
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Pete creates an inferno of competition with this program. Maxwell has looked incredible, so much so that I believe Sherman isn't going to be a "sign at any cost" situation anymore. These guys give everything they have once they get their chance, and quite frankly, I wouldn't allow Thurmond to have his job back until Maxwell loses it.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:17 pm

Steady_Hawk wrote:Pete creates an inferno of competition with this program. Maxwell has looked incredible, so much so that I believe Sherman isn't going to be a "sign at any cost" situation anymore. These guys give everything they have once they get their chance, and quite frankly, I wouldn't allow Thurmond to have his job back until Maxwell loses it.

Agree agree agree... however slow down there... I would give Sherman the moon. We need that Firery Voice on our Defense. Corners with his skills don't come around often. When was the last time we had a true shutdown corner?

Springs?
Trufant?
I mean we can go back to the 80s, but it has been sometime. I wouldn't lose Sherman for money
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:25 pm

4XPIPS wrote:
Steady_Hawk wrote:Pete creates an inferno of competition with this program. Maxwell has looked incredible, so much so that I believe Sherman isn't going to be a "sign at any cost" situation anymore. These guys give everything they have once they get their chance, and quite frankly, I wouldn't allow Thurmond to have his job back until Maxwell loses it.

Agree agree agree... however slow down there... I would give Sherman the moon. We need that Firery Voice on our Defense. Corners with his skills don't come around often. When was the last time we had a true shutdown corner?

Springs?
Trufant?
I mean we can go back to the 80s, but it has been sometime. I wouldn't lose Sherman for money

I love Sherman too, but the depth that Pete and Schnied are acquiring is showing up something incredible. I'm a bit nervous on what Sherman will want since Revis got his 16 Mil he was whining about. I hope they can work something out in the 10-12 range with a fair amount of guaranteed money.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:26 pm

Steady_Hawk wrote:
4XPIPS wrote:

Springs?
Trufant?

I love Sherman too, but the depth that Pete and Schnied are acquiring is showing up something incredible. I'm a bit nervous on what Sherman will want since Revis got his 16 Mil he was whining about. I hope they can work something out in the 10-12 range with a fair amount of guaranteed money.

That whole adderall thing may keep Sherman around the 9-11 mil mark, and if his record remains clear till he becomes a free agent after this next contract (2019 or so) he could very well become best paid corner ever. And BB may become starter again when healthy only due to his playoff experience but the back ups will see some good amount of snaps to to give them experience
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby CascadeHawk » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:59 pm

I think Maxwell remains the starter, he's earned it. I re-watched the last two games, paying special attention to Maxwell when possible and I tell you that guy is glue when it comes to defending his guy and explosive when needed. Plus he has the long arms that are just so disruptive.

In any case, when Thurmond and possibly Browner get back it will be the best man starting so a win win for the Hawks.
CascadeHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Steady_Hawk wrote:
4XPIPS wrote:

Springs?
Trufant?

It's pretty hard to let someone go when they take away their side of the field.
Would you trade him for picks or just let him go in FA?
In any event it will be tough to sign them all when their contracts are up.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:52 pm

It's pretty hard to let someone go when they take away their side of the field.

First off, just to clarify, I would prefer Sherman to retire a Seahawk. It's not my job to figure out how, but I do wonder how they are going to pay Russell his 20 Mil, Sherman's 16 Mil and Thomas's 7 Mil or so. If this becomes impossible, I guess you could get clever and FT Sherman to weigh out some offers. What did Revis garner? Sherman is worth more than Revis IMO because he isn't recovering from any injury.

I really hate to even think it because I can't even remember this franchise ever having a CB as good as Sherman.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:43 am

Steady_Hawk wrote:It's pretty hard to let someone go when they take away their side of the field.

First off, just to clarify, I would prefer Sherman to retire a Seahawk. It's not my job to figure out how, but I do wonder how they are going to pay Russell his 20 Mil, Sherman's 16 Mil and Thomas's 7 Mil or so. If this becomes impossible, I guess you could get clever and FT Sherman to weigh out some offers. What did Revis garner? Sherman is worth more than Revis IMO because he isn't recovering from any injury.

I really hate to even think it because I can't even remember this franchise ever having a CB as good as Sherman.

Something tells me Sherm will hang around, especially if we win a SB with him here. That helps all good players stay on a team. Some will not want to adjust their contract others will. Net result, you never know.
Guaranteed money is guaranteed money and some may want to hang around for a 2nd SB ring. If we lose or don't make it to the big dance, then these folks are going to be jumping off the boat faster than rats jumping off a sinking ship.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby PasadenaHawk » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:32 pm

bit confused, folks talking about Browner returning. Isn't it a foregone conclusion that he will never suit up as a Hawk again?

I hope they can keep Sherman and Thomas and pay RW when the time comes (end of next year I think). I don't think this would be the same team w/o them.

As for Maxwell, I think you have to let him start afer WTIII is done with his suspension, given his performance.
PasadenaHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:30 pm

PasadenaHawk wrote:bit confused, folks talking about Browner returning. Isn't it a foregone conclusion that he will never suit up as a Hawk again?

I hope they can keep Sherman and Thomas and pay RW when the time comes (end of next year I think). I don't think this would be the same team w/o them.

As for Maxwell, I think you have to let him start afer WTIII is done with his suspension, given his performance.

It's also a good lesson to Thurmond that his position is tenuous and will be lost if he messes up again.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:21 am

I so do not miss the likes of Kelly Jennings getting abused out there.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:25 am

Irish Greg 2.0 wrote:I so do not miss the likes of Kelly Jennings getting abused out there.

Our smurfs were always in position though ... to get beat by life size receivers!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:30 pm

CascadeHawk wrote:I think Maxwell remains the starter, he's earned it. I re-watched the last two games, paying special attention to Maxwell when possible and I tell you that guy is glue when it comes to defending his guy and explosive when needed. Plus he has the long arms that are just so disruptive.

In any case, when Thurmond and possibly Browner get back it will be the best man starting so a win win for the Hawks.

Good stuff about the arms, WTIII's arms are like crocodile arms. And BB is too slow. Max in the middle has earned his job. Giving him a breather every now an then may work with our depth. Other than that, I am happy with Max.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby HawkWow » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:21 pm

Eaglehawk wrote:
Steady_Hawk wrote:It's pretty hard to let someone go when they take away their side of the field.

Something tells me Sherm will hang around, especially if we win a SB with him here. That helps all good players stay on a team. Some will not want to adjust their contract others will. Net result, you never know.
Guaranteed money is guaranteed money and some may want to hang around for a 2nd SB ring. If we lose or don't make it to the big dance, then these folks are going to be jumping off the boat faster than rats jumping off a sinking ship.

Ouch. You may have just penned the most sobering sentence in franchise history. Ouch again.
HawkWow
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum