Russell Wilson greatest 4th quarter QB

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Russell Wilson greatest 4th quarter QB

Postby mykc14 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:31 am

HumanCockroach wrote:Nah, all he's gotta do is play quarters 1 through 3 at a slightly above average level, and have his amazing fourth quarter for the second time this season. No critical point sapping turnovers, good decisions, and take the first downs given.

Not to worried about that as he’s played at an elite level in Quarter 1-3 throughout his career. Movement back towards his average is probable... not guaranteed, but certainly probable.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:49 am

Fascinating thread. Thanks mykc14 for all the research. I think you proved this season is an outlier for quarters 1-3 for what you provided. HCR was also correct is his OP that he has to be better in those quarters, but I don't see how you can still say it's a "career" thing after the stats myck14 provided.

Me? I am just sitting back and thankful to have not missed a single minute of RW3's career, it has been amazing to watch. I'll take a season where he is below average for 3 quarters and amazing in the 4th if it means making playoffs.

Winning tomorrow without Kam, Sherm, Cliff, and possibly KJ and Bobby is gonna mean RW stepping up and playing a complete game.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:29 pm

Agent 86 wrote:Fascinating thread. Thanks mykc14 for all the research.

I agree. I've been watching from afar, not wanting to comment for fear of muddying the water. Thanks, guys!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:39 am

It is an interesting discussion.
I think it shows how much we miss a dominating RB who can make the first tackler miss and get some extra yards by himself. Having to do it all himself is probably causing some miscues early until he gets into a bit of a rhythm and the scripted plays are done.
Davis might provide a bit of a spark at RB, but I don't think he's the long term answer. He could be a good backup, though and be a change of pace guy behind a #1 RB.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:46 am

If you watch the early morning NFL shows today one would be led to believe its the "Second Coming" with Rodgers playing today
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:35 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Nah, all he's gotta do is play quarters 1 through 3 at a slightly above average level, and have his amazing fourth quarter for the second time this season. No critical point sapping turnovers, good decisions, and take the first downs given.

Wait!!! What??? Its not the second coming? Dang, I was so ready for that... :mrgreen:
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:32 pm

NorthHawk wrote:It is an interesting discussion.
I think it shows how much we miss a dominating RB who can make the first tackler miss and get some extra yards by himself. Having to do it all himself is probably causing some miscues early until he gets into a bit of a rhythm and the scripted plays are done.
Davis might provide a bit of a spark at RB, but I don't think he's the long term answer. He could be a good backup, though and be a change of pace guy behind a #1 RB.

Absolutely Wilson is pressing, I understand it to an extent, but ultimately, that pressing has cost Seattle games this season. I'm not entirely sure why Seattle can have occasional drives in games ( Arizona is a prime example) where they can run an efficient, methodical successful NFL drive ( garnering first downs, running the ball to balance, 7 to 15 yard passes) and then completely abandon that type of drive for 50/50 heaves.... big plays have their place, but they should not be a staple, and this offense has resorted to that.

When Seattle was having success, it involved an occasional big play, surrounded by short to midrange throws, and powerful running. Even WITHOUT a running game during Wilson's best 5 game stretch, it was short to midrange passing with receivers running after the catch, with big plays sprinkled in, currently however, it's ignoring those shorter passes, or even attempting to run, with all or nothing throws. That's part OC, Part QB, and part philosophy.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:44 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:

When Seattle was having success, it involved an occasional big play, surrounded by short to midrange throws, and powerful running. Even WITHOUT a running game during Wilson's best 5 game stretch, it was short to midrange passing with receivers running after the catch, with big plays sprinkled in, currently however, it's ignoring those shorter passes, or even attempting to run, with all or nothing throws. That's part OC, Part QB, and part philosophy.

This I agree with completely. When RW had that 7 game stretch with 25 TDs and 1 INT I thought for sure they (OC, Head Coach, And QB) had turned a corner in their offense. It was quick, crisp and had a distinct West Coast feel to it. I was really excited to see it in 2016, but it never really blossomed. The real question is why? Was the end of 2015 a success because it caught the league off-guard and then they adjusted in the off-season and it just wasn’t there? Are PC and Bevell so married to their philosophies that they weren’t willing to go all in? Is RW bypassing his first option for the promise of a better play? It’s hard to say but it is pretty clear that the issues along the OL are hindering our O to the point that nobody really feels comfortable (OC with that OL would be brutal, as would playing QB behind it). I really think teams have just been able to take the quick passes/timing routes away because they can get pressure with 4 guys. This not only allows them to drop 7 guys into coverage but also makes us keep in a back to block and sometimes a TE or at the very least using that TE/or slot to chip, which means we often times are sending 3 or 4 guys on these routes and committing 6 or 7 to block. The quick throws might just not be there.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:57 pm

I recommend watching the all 22 then. Some blame to be sprinkled around. It isn't just the line, OC or Wilson , but often there are available options underneath. I'm not going to claim it isn't a philosophy thing, but I'm not going to claim its entirely a coaching issue either.

For all I know they've convinced Wilson to take the 50/50 shot over the easy first downs. I've no idea, what I do see though, is a boatload of first downs, and yardage left on the field far to often for successful offensive production.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:32 am

HumanCockroach wrote:I recommend watching the all 22 then. Some blame to be sprinkled around. It isn't just the line, OC or Wilson , but often there are available options underneath. I'm not going to claim it isn't a philosophy thing, but I'm not going to claim its entirely a coaching issue either.

For all I know they've convinced Wilson to take the 50/50 shot over the easy first downs. I've no idea, what I do see though, is a boatload of first downs, and yardage left on the field far to often for successful offensive production.

We get beat as badly as we did last Sunday it's almost required that it's more than just a coaching issue.

Even in our best seasons, we've had monumental problems protecting Russell from the Ram's pass rush. We clearly do not match up well against that team.
RiverDog
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum