Teams starting to take away D. Baldwin

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Teams starting to take away D. Baldwin

Postby trents » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:25 pm

Have you noticed how Baldwin has not been targeted much the last two or three game? Teams are starting to realize that he is the meat and potatoes receiver of Seattle's offence and if they take him away then the Hawk's offence will not sustain drives.
trents
Legacy

Re: Teams starting to take away D. Baldwin

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:06 am

Our Offense is one dimensional. Stop Wilson (and of course by definition all WRs including Baldwin) and the Offense stops.
There's no fallback.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:07 pm

trents wrote:Have you noticed how Baldwin has not been targeted much the last two or three game? Teams are starting to realize that he is the meat and potatoes receiver of Seattle's offence and if they take him away then the Hawk's offence will not sustain drives.

I think that is kind of on RW. he gets into a rut looking for the same people all the time. I think that is why he always misses the check down passes, he's focused on just a few players. I don't think he reads a defense very well and doesn't go through progressions that well either.

What he excels at better than any one I've ever watched is when the first person is covered, bringing the ball down and then scrambling around a bit then popping his head up and finds someone breaking out. That's a bit different than going through a route tree's progression and know who should be open based on the defense's coverage.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:32 pm

Do we even have route trees or are they simple patterns then the scramble drill?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:56 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Do we even have route trees or are they simple patterns then the scramble drill?

Exactly! And the routes are all 20+ yard routes which boggles the mind with this oline.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:00 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Do we even have route trees or are they simple patterns then the scramble drill?

There can only be a route tree if there exists a pocket for long enough to make at least a second read.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:03 pm

Yesterday it looked like the latter. I wonder why? :roll:
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Eh, even when there is a pocket, more often than not Wilson bails out the back side. It isn't new, and it makes him special, unfortunately, other teams know if they cover for three seconds, rush up field 5 yards past the established pocket, likely Russ will be there. Creates an impossible situation for sustained success. The line pushes DEs past the pocket, but can't continue to push them further, which creates holds, sacks or scramble drills. It isn't coincidence that the biggest scrambles come when Wilson moves forward initially.

Are people really thinking he isn't scouted thoroughly at this point? 85% of the time his timer goes off he turns and retreats. Defenses know that, they are not rushing Wilson, he's to elusive, they are rushing the spot Wilson will be the majority of the time, while attempting to collapse the middle, bring pressure on the inside that can't be blocked. Once he gets to his retreat position, he will come up and to his left. Either a DT or linebacker needs to be there in case he escapes.

Until he balances his scramble, or stands in the pocket, or takes the ten yard open receivers, it will be more of the same. Every player has to adjust to what defenses do to take away your tendacies, Wilson is no different. Just remains to be seen if he will at some point.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:48 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Eh, even when there is a pocket, more often than not Wilson bails out the back side.

I absolutely disagree with this statement. When there is a pocket he uses it first. Often if a receiver is not open he'll hold onto the ball longer than would other QB's and wind up scrambling to extend a play that started out with a good pocket, but as long as the pocket is viable I believe he uses it.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:52 pm

Nah, you're remembering what you want to, not what is actually happening. That said, disagree as much and as often as you like, as vehemently as you wish. It happens every game.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:03 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Nah, you're remembering what you want to, not what is actually happening. That said, disagree as much and as often as you like, as vehemently as you wish. It happens every game.

And I'd say you're seeing it the way you want to see it to fit your narrative. Put a clock to how long he stays in the pocket next time you see a pocket that lasts 3 seconds.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:16 pm

trents wrote:Have you noticed how Baldwin has not been targeted much the last two or three game? Teams are starting to realize that he is the meat and potatoes receiver of Seattle's offence and if they take him away then the Hawk's offence will not sustain drives.

Yes! I’ve loved Dougie B since I was at the game during his impactful rookie game against those pesky Rams in 2011. This year he helped demolish my fantasy team. He’s rarely open, rarely gets the ball and really has just disappeared. I hope this has more to with injury and not focus.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:32 pm

If you say so Bob.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum