Earl did this?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Earl did this?

Postby Largent80 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:39 pm

Largent80
Legacy

Re: Earl did this?

Postby idhawkman » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:41 pm

Wait, this can't be. You mean some people are unhappy in our locker room? I wonder why.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:58 pm

He is from Texas.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:59 pm

My wife is his cousins professor.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:01 pm

I guess his point is that the Hawks don't have a shot at resigning him next year unless they pull out some magical money from somewhere.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:05 pm

If he's not happy, trade him. To Cleveland.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:10 pm

Dez arguably cost Dallas the game. He fumbled a ball by carrying it in his left hand then had a pass bounce off his hands and was subsequently intercepted. Both turnovers led to touchdowns.

If Jerry knows what's good for him, he'll get rid of Bryant. He hasn't had 75 receptions, 800 receiving yards, or more than 8 TD's for 4 years, and it's a good bet that his coaches are getting a little tired of his crybaby attitude.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:10 pm

Earl slid back a little, if you read the whole quote on Seattle PI - He only wants to leave 'when the "Seahawks Kick him to the curb"... As the teams rep under JS is the resign the best players, the comment in itself does seem odd, but certainly not a proclamation to guarantee he leaves Seattle.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:05 pm

Done, he is outa here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:34 am

Ehhh. I remember after we won the Super Bowl Tate lobbied to stay but took the money and ran. Bennett talked about wanting to get paid and took a team friendly deal to stay. Seattle is foolish to let earl go for less than a kings ransom. He’s the best FS in the league....
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:11 am

Certainly no worse than Beast retiring so he could go to the Raiders.

I'll never begrudge someone wanting to play for the home team they grew up as fans of. He's damn well earned the right.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:58 am

He was telling Garrett to come get him and Garrett probably won't be there in a year.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:20 am

And here I thought Earl was doing some trash talking...

I wouldn't blame him if he sought to return to his hometown/childhood favorite, either, yet I still hope he chooses to stick with us. He has one year left on his current deal so I'm sure that one of the topics in the offseason that's sure to come up is a possible extension.

But I'd be very, very carefully of offering him a king's ransom and blindly throw money at him. He'll be 30 years old when he hits FA in 2019. He's bound to be losing a step or two by then, and his position, particularly the way he plays it, is very dependent on speed and quickness.

If he really does want to go back to Texas, it's going to be very expensive to resign him, and I don't want to make the same mistake that we made with Shaun Alexander.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:10 pm

As I said before, my wife is his cousins professor. Guess what she got me for Christmas?....She bought an Elite wolf grey Earl jersey and had her student get Earl to sign it for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...And I mean freshly signed like LAST NIGHT !!!!

Hawks should let him come home, he's been fantastic and still has a year left. In reality, after 30 in the NFL is usually a crest of a hill. If he remains uninjured he may still play well but his body simply won't be able to do what he's done for so many years. He will command a ton of money however, and simply is not replaceable either. There is nobody like Earl.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:12 pm

RiverDog wrote:And here I thought Earl was doing some trash talking...

I wouldn't blame him if he sought to return to his hometown/childhood favorite, either, yet I still hope he chooses to stick with us. He has one year left on his current deal so I'm sure that one of the topics in the offseason that's sure to come up is a possible extension.

But I'd be very, very carefully of offering him a king's ransom and blindly throw money at him. He'll be 30 years old when he hits FA in 2019. He's bound to be losing a step or two by then, and his position, particularly the way he plays it, is very dependent on speed and quickness.

If he really does want to go back to Texas, it's going to be very expensive to resign him, and I don't want to make the same mistake that we made with Shaun Alexander.

Although I agree about being wary of signing a 30 year old a kings ransom if they do I would feel much better than when they paid Alexander. ET is a HOF player and makes everybody around him better. SA was a product of a very good OL and offensive system. It wasn’t a surprise when his production fell off as the OL deteriorated. We all saw his lack of ability to break tackles and avoid contact even as an MVP player. ET May be the best player ever to play his position and it wouldn’t shock anybody to see him play at an elete level for another 5 years. A 3 or 4 year extension at 12-14 mil/yr would not be a big risk, IMO.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:16 pm

Largent80 wrote:As I said before, my wife is his cousins professor. Guess what she got me for Christmas?....She bought an Elite wolf grey Earl jersey and had her student get Earl to sign it for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...And I mean freshly signed like LAST NIGHT !!!!

Hawks should let him come home, he's been fantastic and still has a year left. In reality, after 30 in the NFL is usually a crest of a hill. If he remains uninjured he may still play well but his body simply won't be able to do what he's done for so many years. He will command a ton of money however, and simply is not replaceable either. There is nobody like Earl.

First of all, that is AWESOME!!!!!! Second of all, let him go home? No they shouldn’t!! He can CHOOSE to go home when his contract runs out, if he wants, but the Hawks certainly shouldn’t let him go home for sentimental reasons or because they owe him anything. They have paid him handsomely for his incredible play and should fight hard to keep him as long as they see fit.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:55 pm

mykc14 wrote:Although I agree about being wary of signing a 30 year old a kings ransom if they do I would feel much better than when they paid Alexander. ET is a HOF player and makes everybody around him better. SA was a product of a very good OL and offensive system. It wasn’t a surprise when his production fell off as the OL deteriorated. We all saw his lack of ability to break tackles and avoid contact even as an MVP player. ET May be the best player ever to play his position and it wouldn’t shock anybody to see him play at an elete level for another 5 years. A 3 or 4 year extension at 12-14 mil/yr would not be a big risk, IMO.

SA probably isn't a fair comparison player-wise. I was thinking in terms of his contract and the status he had attained within the fan base.

Everybody and their dog, including me, was willing to mortgage the franchise in order to resign SA. One of the arguments in resigning him was that he avoided contact and was thus less injury prone. There were lots other rationalizations that us fans used as well. I just don't want to see our fan base stampede our FO into resigning one of our aging heros like we did with SA.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:04 pm

RiverDog wrote:SA probably isn't a fair comparison player-wise. I was thinking in terms of his contract and the status he had attained within the fan base.

Everybody and their dog, including me, was willing to mortgage the franchise in order to resign SA. One of the arguments in resigning him was that he avoided contact and was thus less injury prone. There were lots other rationalizations that us fans used as well. I just don't want to see our fan base stampede our FO into resigning one of our aging heros like we did with SA.

Yeah I agree as well, although I don’t remember everybody and their dog wanting to re-sign SA, but that Lps not your main point. We don’t want to pay players for what they have done as a Hawk but rather for what they are going to do.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby chris98251 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:41 am

This is just another indication of a rift behind the scenes, Earl would not want to leave in any way home or not if he was happy, Wagner and him in a spiff, Sherman in a Spiff last year, numerous other incidents popping up indicating frustration with the offensive side of the ball and not just from the defense, Graham, Lynch, Baldwin now as well.

Just because the lid is kept on tight does not mean there isn't something simmering waiting for enough pressure to blow the lid completely off.

You start looking back home if your missing things and not having fun, I think that is what's behind it more then anything right now.
chris98251
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:51 am

chris98251 wrote:This is just another indication of a rift behind the scenes, Earl would not want to leave in any way home or not if he was happy, Wagner and him in a spiff, Sherman in a Spiff last year, numerous other incidents popping up indicating frustration with the offensive side of the ball and not just from the defense, Graham, Lynch, Baldwin now as well.

Just because the lid is kept on tight does not mean there isn't something simmering waiting for enough pressure to blow the lid completely off.

You start looking back home if your missing things and not having fun, I think that is what's behind it more then anything right now.

This is just as extreme a view as saying they all sit around holing hands and singing Kumbaya.

Truth is it's just a locker room and like 31 other locker rooms there are individuals that don't like each other and groups of people that don't like each other. Some that hate the coaches and the front office and some that defend them at every opportunity. Some that party with each other and some that go to church with each other. Some that hold little prayer groups all the time and some that roll their eyes and refer to those guys as "the God Squad". Their are Democrats and Republicans and guys that think anyone that identifies as either are wing nuts.

As long as they can all get on the same page and work toward the same goal when it's time to take the field none of that matters.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby chris98251 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:29 pm

Where the hell did you get that from in my post, they are having clashes between the offense and defense, it has come out in little barbs in interviews, the way the players act out in frustration on the field ever since the Bevell call in the Super Bowl, Management has been able to keep the lid on mostly so to speak and divert in interview explanations as competing. Body language tells a lot, these guys don't have to be best buddies granted, but they have to respect each other and work together as a team. Right now it looks like it the defense against the world because the offense has not been able to do anything unless it's handed to them inside the 20.

Graham short arms stuff and has minimal effort if not in the End Zone these days, the dumb penalties by our O line forcing the defense back on the field, no running game, lets throw bombs on every third play. No underneath or safety valve or screen routes to keep offense moving.

We had a game where it looked like hey they are changing it up, we win, we go back to Dumb Bevell Football the next week. That's frustrating to the players as well. Jeremy Bates was fired for doing what Bevell is doing right now, throwing long balls and not attempting to get the running game on track. The thing is Bates was actually moving the ball well with it.
chris98251
Legacy

Postby Sox-n-hawks » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:43 pm

chris98251 wrote:Where the hell did you get that from in my post, they are having clashes between the offense and defense, it has come out in little barbs in interviews, the way the players act out in frustration on the field ever since the Bevell call in the Super Bowl, Management has been able to keep the lid on mostly so to speak and divert in interview explanations as competing. Body language tells a lot, these guys don't have to be best buddies granted, but they have to respect each other and work together as a team. Right now it looks like it the defense against the world because the offense has not been able to do anything unless it's handed to them inside the 20.

Graham short arms stuff and has minimal effort if not in the End Zone these days, the dumb penalties by our O line forcing the defense back on the field, no running game, lets throw bombs on every third play. No underneath or safety valve or screen routes to keep offense moving.

We had a game where it looked like hey they are changing it up, we win, we go back to Dumb Bevell Football the next week. That's frustrating to the players as well. Jeremy Bates was fired for doing what Bevell is doing right now, throwing long balls and not attempting to get the running game on track. The thing is Bates was actually moving the ball well with it.

Add to that the inability of Cable to develop blockers for his Zone Blocking Scheme and it makes for an inept offense. What ever happened to Cable being "the running game guy" that's how he made himself known in the NFL. Now it's sad to watch.
Sox-n-hawks
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:47 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:This is just as extreme a view as saying they all sit around holing hands and singing Kumbaya.

Well, I'm not going to go that far, but I do agree that the facts stated in the previous interpretation doesn't necessarily add up to a locker room sitting on a powder keg or that Earl is as unhappy as depicted.

But it is an issue worth keeping an eye on this coming offseason.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby chris98251 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:53 pm

Add to that the inability of Cable to develop blockers for his Zone Blocking Scheme and it makes for an inept offense. What ever happened to Cable being "the running game guy" that's how he made himself known in the NFL. Now it's sad to watch.

The rule book passed them by, he has not adapted the ZBS as other teams have, he is and I have stated in a another forum brought in big guys that are powerful men to do things in a system designed for quick and agile men, they cannot get to the places fast enough to seal and create lanes. They eliminated the crack back and clipping that went on inside the tackles by rules, this took a lot of the advantage of using it away.

Other teams use a form of it but differently then we do, we try to use the original concept more then the adapted Zone Power scheme some other teams use. Throw in that lineman seem less skilled coming out of college learning a more difficult concept with less skills and technique with the wrong body type for it and we have the Seahawks line woes.
chris98251
Legacy

Postby Sox-n-hawks » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:57 pm

I say go with a Erhardt-Perkins style blocking scheme. Use the power and drop the hammer.
Sox-n-hawks
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:19 pm

chris98251 wrote:Where the hell did you get that from in my post

Really? You don't see "Just because the lid is kept on tight does not mean there isn't something simmering waiting for enough pressure to blow the lid completely off" to be the opposite of holding hands and singing Kumbaya?

chris98251 wrote: they are having clashes between the offense and defense, it has come out in little barbs in interviews, the way the players act out in frustration on the field ever since the Bevell call in the Super Bowl, Management has been able to keep the lid on mostly so to speak and divert in interview explanations as competing. Body language tells a lot, these guys don't have to be best buddies granted, but they have to respect each other and work together as a team. Right now it looks like it the defense against the world because the offense has not been able to do anything unless it's handed to them inside the 20.

You make it all sound so dramatic and dysfunctional ... I'm saying that it's just the normal state of an NFL locker room when things aren't going as well as they've become accustomed to them going. If we don't have injuries and major chunks of time missed by our 5 best defensive players this is just another year not much different that the last 4 or 5. There is a natural transition taking place from an all world defense with a young, inexpensive offense to a more offensive oriented team with an aging defense, but nothing (besides really needing a better O-line) that demands we blow it all up and start over.

Draw a line from Kumbaya to the lid being ready to blow off and I'm saying the truth is about in the middle. That's all.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, looks like you'll fit right in.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby chris98251 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:07 pm

It is dramatic and dysfunctional, were able to transition our defense to get younger because Pete knows defense and we have some damn good secondary and linebacker coaches, our D line has improved steadily all year under the direction of Clint Hurtt and Dwaine Board.

We all turn back to the offense that has been given higher round picks over the last 3 or 4 years and have nothing to show for it as far as Running production and being able to control the ball, we see it, our defense see's it, that there is the problem. Players saying that some others are not putting the effort and or time in to be a champion, that's been Sherman, Chancellor, Thomas, Bennett, Baldwin. Pretty much the team leaders other then Wilson.

Sherman Smith being the sacrificial Lamb for the offensive woes last year, yet it looked much worse this year in a regression of Michael at the beginning of the season and Rawls. Carson being the lone pleasant surprise and Davis showing the same thing he did in S.F.

The offense can't complain about having time to work together, Vets in Joekel and Brown combined with holdovers from last year as well as Tobin and others having system experience and plenty of time to get used to the language used and being Vets so knowing the game and expectations. They really can't complain about injuries over all either, other then Carson whom Davis, Rawls, McKissic all have made up for. Prosise being the lone other disappointment to the extreme that you almost forget he is on the team. That leaves Fant who was learning on the job and Brown is a huge upgrade over so a wash or improvement. Lacy well we don't have to go there to acknowledge biggest F.A. bust in the league I think this year.

This is the teams problem and this is the divide as well, the defense can carry this team, but the offense is asking them to carry and to compensate for more then normal with too many 3 and outs and then turnovers on short fields as well.

Additionally the defensive stars are now looking at career mortality and have a urgency about wanting to get another ring and see the elephant in the room holding them back. That may really be what's driving some of this.

Winning cures a lot of this stuff, when your not the bones start to rattle in the closet.

Oh would also like to add the offseason workouts between player groups, we don't hear about that much other then Wilson and his receivers in L.A. now, before it was a common occurrence.
chris98251
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:34 pm

And you ask where I got that ...
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:45 pm

Hey Bob what about my thread about me and you winning the Super Bowl this year after the Cards then the Lambs then Pittsburgh. Lol it can happen
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:58 pm

politicalfootball wrote:Hey Bob what about my thread about me and you winning the Super Bowl this year after the Cards then the Lambs then Pittsburgh. Lol it can happen

Sure can, it ain't over till it's over!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum