A drop in the Bucket

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

A drop in the Bucket

Postby Largent80 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:08 pm

Largent80
Legacy

Re: A drop in the Bucket

Postby Largent80 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:04 am

So am I the only person that loved this?
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:21 am

It’s been pretty heavily talked about. But yes I loved it too. I loved the int even better
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:08 pm

Our claim to fame across our nation. Sports center led with it.

Go Hawks !
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:26 pm

I personally thought it was a stupid thing for him to do at that point in the game. It could have turned into points for them because of the penalty assessed on the kickoff. OUr ST did play a bit better this week though.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:12 pm

It was stupid for them to call a penalty. End zone celebrations are supposed to be allowed. How is that unsportsmanlike conduct?

Ridiculous.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:10 pm

Largent80 wrote:It was stupid for them to call a penalty. End zone celebrations are supposed to be allowed. How is that unsportsmanlike conduct?

Ridiculous.

A Cowboy was called for doing the same thing earlier in the year, so it was obviously off limits. However, they shouldn't have the thing in the end zone if it's going to draw a penalty if you jump in it. The fact that it happened once before should have provided the motivation to move it or put a lid on it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:05 am

The Salvation Army thanked Coleman for the free advertising.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:17 am

It is always a penalty to involve a third object in an end zone celebration. You can use the ball, yourself (which includes your team mates now) but no other object in your celebration. (Let's call it the cell phone and sharpie rule).

So it has always been a penalty, the players whose profession it is to know the entire rule book, knew it would be a penalty and he did it anyways. That's stupid on the player's part, not the official who is enforcing the rule as written.

Regarding moving the object, that won't happen unless the salvation army stops paying the league for having it there. The league is bleeding cash and won't do anything to disrupt a paying advertiser. The salvation army likes it because every FG and extra point, they get their brand burned into the subconcious minds of millions.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:05 pm

idhawkman wrote:Regarding moving the object, that won't happen unless the salvation army stops paying the league for having it there.

Then if that's the case, they need to put a lit on it so players won't jump in it. You know, just like they used to advise us about leaving old refrigerators outside, to make them safe so little kids wouldn't jump in them playing hide-and-seek.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:32 pm

RiverDog wrote:
Then if that's the case, they need to put a lit on it so players won't jump in it. You know, just like they used to advise us about leaving old refrigerators outside, to make them safe so little kids wouldn't jump in them playing hide-and-seek.

LOL, so you are saying that Coleman is a kid who doesn't know better. Let's take a picture of him now and another one after he reaches puberty....
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:09 pm

idhawkman wrote:LOL, so you are saying that Coleman is a kid who doesn't know better. Let's take a picture of him now and another one after he reaches puberty....

Yea, pretty much.

But it is a joke if they have to have a special set of rules that regulate celebrations. I mean, just think of coaches trying to keep all their players abreast of all the minute details of the rule book. Can you blame them for overlooking the part on celebrations?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:19 am

idhawkman wrote:LOL, so you are saying that Coleman is a kid who doesn't know better. Let's take a picture of him now and another one after he reaches puberty....

RiverDog wrote:Yea, pretty much.

But it is a joke if they have to have a special set of rules that regulate celebrations. I mean, just think of coaches trying to keep all their players abreast of all the minute details of the rule book. Can you blame them for overlooking the part on celebrations?

Why on earth would that be the coaches responsibility? I'd rather the coaches hone the skills of the player. Remember, these are professionals. Who tells the doctor of new procedures? Who tells the attorney of new laws? They take it upon themselves to read books, go to conferences, consult with other professionals or whatever it takes to be "informed" on their profession. Pro athletes need to pick up the small rule book every year and read it sufficiently enough to understand the rules of their profession. If they can not read and comprehend what they are reading, then they need to hire someone to explain it to them and that is not the coaches responsibility. Coaches need to coach skills not conduct - especially for supposed professionals.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:41 am

How stupid is it to tell grown men they can't celebrate for scoring a TD?

VERY is the answer.

The whole defense should have gotten in that thing.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:22 am

It is by definition a coaches responsibility to keep his players abreast of the rules and current rule changes.

That said, stupid rule.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Sox-n-hawks » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:18 am

How is it any more of a penalty than the Lambeau leap?
Sox-n-hawks
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:33 am

idhawkman wrote:Why on earth would that be the coaches responsibility? I'd rather the coaches hone the skills of the player. Remember, these are professionals. Who tells the doctor of new procedures? Who tells the attorney of new laws? They take it upon themselves to read books, go to conferences, consult with other professionals or whatever it takes to be "informed" on their profession. Pro athletes need to pick up the small rule book every year and read it sufficiently enough to understand the rules of their profession. If they can not read and comprehend what they are reading, then they need to hire someone to explain it to them and that is not the coaches responsibility. Coaches need to coach skills not conduct - especially for supposed professionals.

Yes, the players ought to read the rule book, especially considering that unlike pro football players in the 60's and 70's, the don't have to take 2nd jobs to make ends meet. If I were the HC, the day the new revised rule book came out I'd mail a copy out to every player and tell them that they can be expected to have to take a test.

But like everything else, the ultimate responsibility of the players knowing the rules lays on the coaching staff, and I doubt that anyone thought to quiz their players as to the in's and out's of end zone celebrations. They're probably more concerned about pass interference/holding, going out of bounds and being the first to touch a ball, reporting substitutions to the ref, things like that.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:45 am

No Fun League. Try as they might the gang that couldn’t shoot straight gets it wrong again. I bet Coleman and zeke put millions in the Salvation Army buckets . As has been said why is there any difference between that and leaping into the stands?
Let em celebrate .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:47 am

Sox-n-hawks wrote:How is it any more of a penalty than the Lambeau leap?

Because they can't use a prop except for the football, and the Salvation Army bowl was considered a prop. You can't do something like the stuff Terrell Owens used to do, ie popcorn, Sharpie, etc as they are considered props...or at least that's my understanding.

They can’t use other things as a prop. Those are still illegal like picking up the pylon and using it for a putter. They still can’t dunk the ball over the goal post. [The Salvation Army kettle] is a prop, so you won’t be able to jump in the kettle.

Here's some more information regarding the do's and don'ts of end zone celebrations:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ting-says/
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:44 am

They can use their own teammates as props, too, but it's a rarity for a defender to get a TD, so it's no wonder it happened - and might happen again with other teams when a defender scores and an obvious tempting prop is just sitting there.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:10 pm

Am I the only person that thinks the NFL has become a joke within itself?

Penalizing players for wearing the wrong socks etc?

Really????....why?... What is the purpose of this ridiculous stand?

What a friggin joke. Hey NFL, say goodbye because people are tuning out.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Sox-n-hawks » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:59 pm

So a mounted goalpost is a prop but a wall isn't? Bullsh*t.
Sox-n-hawks
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:23 pm

Largent80 wrote:Am I the only person that thinks the NFL has become a joke within itself?

Penalizing players for wearing the wrong socks etc?

Really????....why?... What is the purpose of this ridiculous stand?

What a friggin joke. Hey NFL, say goodbye because people are tuning out.

It's a uniform thing so I don't have as much an issue with that.
Where does it stop? Different color pants? A precedent would have been set with the socks or shoes.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:35 pm

Sox-n-hawks wrote:So a mounted goalpost is a prop but a wall isn't? Bullsh*t.

Yea, I don't understand why dunking the ball over the cross bar is illegal. They say that it's taunting, but I guess I don't understand what makes that more intimidating a Gronk spike.

The rules are insane. They reacted to the criiticism of them being the "No Fun League" and they ended up creating a real cluster phuck.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:13 pm

Sox-n-hawks wrote:How is it any more of a penalty than the Lambeau leap?

That's a great point. That should be a penalty based on the rule book.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:18 pm

RiverDog wrote:
Yes, the players ought to read the rule book, especially considering that unlike pro football players in the 60's and 70's, the don't have to take 2nd jobs to make ends meet. If I were the HC, the day the new revised rule book came out I'd mail a copy out to every player and tell them that they can be expected to have to take a test.

I actually laughed out loud when I read this. Really? Now we have to treat professionals (MEN) by "quizzing them"? No wonder 19 year old men in the service act so much more like grown ups than 90% of the NFL and other pro athletes.

But like everything else, the ultimate responsibility of the players knowing the rules lays on the coaching staff, and I doubt that anyone thought to quiz their players as to the in's and out's of end zone celebrations. They're probably more concerned about pass interference/holding, going out of bounds and being the first to touch a ball, reporting substitutions to the ref, things like that.

You know that for the players, the celebrations was all they were really interested in and I'd bet most of them read that section multiple times - definitely more times than they read the rest of the rules.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:39 pm

Yea, I don't understand why dunking the ball over the cross bar is illegal. They say that it's taunting, but I guess I don't understand what makes that more intimidating a Gronk spike.

The rules are insane. They reacted to the criiticism of them being the "No Fun League" and they ended up creating a real cluster phuck.

Dunking over the goal post is to stop the posts from getting crooked when players hit them. It happened a few times in College and I think in the NFL before it was outlawed.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:37 pm

Largent80 wrote:It was stupid for them to call a penalty. End zone celebrations are supposed to be allowed. How is that unsportsmanlike conduct?

Ridiculous.

I am with you!! How is all the dumbo celebrations ok, but no him just jumping into the kettle? I was hot!!
obiken
Legacy

Postby Sox-n-hawks » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:09 am

If Tom Brady had done it, it would have led to an endorsement deal.
Sox-n-hawks
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum