Game thread 12-31-17

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Game thread 12-31-17

Postby RiverDog » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:53 pm

A couple of comments and I apologize if I'm repeating other observations as I didn't read all the posts:

For the life of me, I don't know why we chose to sit on the ball at the 30 yard line instead of trying to get a few more yards and make it an easier attempt. Running the clock down was not a priority as the Cards were without TO's. A 46 yard FG is not an easy kick for anyone, particularly at sea level on a cold day. Heck, earlier in the game, we opted to go for it on a 4th and 6 from about the same distance. Even an additional 5 yards might have made the difference.

We had some just plain dumb ass roughing the QB penalties, and yes, one of them was on our defensive MVP.

It was refreshing to see Lockett put on such a display of speed. He's my comback Player of the Year. That injury he sustained was truly career threatening, and especially being that it involved one of his wheels, to see him take it to the house was very inspirational.

IG was at the game today, commented in the first half that Russell had open receivers but seemed reluctant to throw it to them. I always like hearing from someone that was at the game. It's difficult to get that viewpoint from an armchair.

This was a very fitting game to end the season on. A slow start, non existent offense in the first half. As many penalty yardage given up as rushing yards gained. A pathetic 1 for 12 on 3rd down. A missed FG attempt at the end of the game.

This could be a blessing in disguise. Had we won and the Falcons lost, it might have given cause for our brain trust to rationalize that things aren't that bad. Well, they are that bad. This is not a good team, not playoff worthy. Changes need to be made, and not just to the roster.

My 12th man flag comes down tomorrow. How sad not to have a horse to root for in the playoffs.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:13 pm

Well..? Good snap, no problems with the hold? Did i see things the 3 times I saw it?

I would very much like to clarify, as it seems I HAVE to do in EVERY single statement. Just because I see what's happening, and comment on it, does NOT mean I'm saying what so many seem hell bent to profess I do. ( for example the horrible throw to Willson that's a walk in TD with a remotely accurate throw, or the offensive line issues, or the well name it)...

Saying that about a bad throw does NOT mean I want Wilson gone, pointing out his poor performances in the first half for two seasons, doesn't mean I hate him, or think he sucks, or want to "keep Walsh, and get rid of the QB with 34 TDS"... I'm not entirely sure why so many jump to those ignorant conclusions, but if I'm not SAYING it, I'm NOT meaning it.

It IS possible to say, the snap and hold were bad, and the offense shouldn't have gone into a shell with a one point lead, and then again once in the outside range of their kicker, and NOT be saying "I love Walsh, he's great"... I don't want Walsh here, that said, any game people are pointing at him as the "reason" Seattle lost, I can point out far more failures throughout the game that "cost" them the win. From the line, to HORRIBLE turnovers by the same said quarterback, to penalties etc. Ultimately, Walsh's misses were the difference in ONE game, exactly ONE ( Washington) and even that game, consisted of MULTIPLE key turnovers, and an incredibly conservative game plan.

I don't rely on kickers to save Seattle from losses, I expect aggressive, efficient, and successful offense. Praying to be down by three with 3 minutes or less and having Walsh ( or ANY kicker ever) save them, isn't appetizing in any way shape or form to me.

I'm not into convenient goats. I'm not blaming a kicker for the offenses ineptitude, doesn't mean I hate Wilson, Baldwin, Graham etc...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:03 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Well..? Good snap, no problems with the hold? Did i see things the 3 times I saw it?

I would very much like to clarify, as it seems I HAVE to do in EVERY single statement. Just because I see what's happening, and comment on it, does NOT mean I'm saying what so many seem hell bent to profess I do. ( for example the horrible throw to Willson that's a walk in TD with a remotely accurate throw, or the offensive line issues, or the well name it)...

Saying that about a bad throw does NOT mean I want Wilson gone, pointing out his poor performances in the first half for two seasons, doesn't mean I hate him, or think he sucks, or want to "keep Walsh, and get rid of the QB with 34 TDS"... I'm not entirely sure why so many jump to those ignorant conclusions, but if I'm not SAYING it, I'm NOT meaning it.

It IS possible to say, the snap and hold were bad, and the offense shouldn't have gone into a shell with a one point lead, and then again once in the outside range of their kicker, and NOT be saying "I love Walsh, he's great"... I don't want Walsh here, that said, any game people are pointing at him as the "reason" Seattle lost, I can point out far more failures throughout the game that "cost" them the win. From the line, to HORRIBLE turnovers by the same said quarterback, to penalties etc. Ultimately, Walsh's misses were the difference in ONE game, exactly ONE ( Washington) and even that game, consisted of MULTIPLE key turnovers, and an incredibly conservative game plan.

I don't rely on kickers to save Seattle from losses, I expect aggressive, efficient, and successful offense. Praying to be down by three with 3 minutes or less and having Walsh ( or ANY kicker ever) save them, isn't appetizing in any way shape or form to me.

I'm not into convenient goats. I'm not blaming a kicker for the offenses ineptitude, doesn't mean I hate Wilson, Baldwin, Graham etc...

Then maybe stop for a minute and realize we're talking aggregate season problems. The O-line is a multiple seasons problem, practically since Cable arrived. I'm tired of people making excuses for Cable like he's had some kind of raw deal here. The man's had great draft picks to work with. He's had a hand in picking those picks. He's the assistant head coach and run game coordinator. He's had years in the NFL to make this work. It's not working. Whether Cable is truly the problem or not doesn't matter at this point because something involving him is not working and you need to start with the offensive line coach. The man needs to go and we need to try a different direction. Keeping your offensive line coach when the unit has been below average to average nearly every year in the league is not something that should be continuously overlooked.

If Pete is really about competing, he has to look at the O-line coaching staff or he's just not really living up to his mantra. Something is failing with that unit. It needs serious work. Pete doesn't seem able to do it himself. The coaching and scouting he has in place isn't working. He needs to at least try a new direction if he really wants them better.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:16 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:I would very much like to clarify, as it seems I HAVE to do in EVERY single statement. Just because I see what's happening, and comment on it, does NOT mean I'm saying what so many seem hell bent to profess I do. ( for example the horrible throw to Willson that's a walk in TD with a remotely accurate throw, or the offensive line issues, or the well name it)...

But this is the issue that I have with some of your statements. You said that his throw wasn’t remotely close. Clearly it WAS remotely close. If you don’t want to have to clarify your statements then make clear statements. His throw CLEARLY was remotely close. Wilson SHOULD have caught the ball, there is no other argument to make. RW underthrew the ball, that is also clear. A better throw makes it easier for Wilson but that doesn’t change the fact that he should have caught it.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:54 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:I would very much like to clarify, as it seems I HAVE to do in EVERY single statement. Just because I see what's happening, and comment on it, does NOT mean I'm saying what so many seem hell bent to profess I do. ( for example the horrible throw to Willson that's a walk in TD with a remotely accurate throw, or the offensive line issues, or the well name it)...

okay first off rewatch the play, if he throws it in front Willson get blownup by the safety and your bitching abouut that as it probably drops it. RW through it were his guy cab catch it and protect himself. My problem with you is you love to find any way you can to b**** about anything Rw does. Most of the time your wrong like now and yes I am talking about HC. You want to know why as you say some jump to ignorant conclusions is because you make a lot of ignorant statements. For instance you know our oline sucks, our run game is aweful, play calling and design is aweful. You know they script the first 15 plays but all you do is blame Rw for slow starts knowing that is what PC preaches, so there you go, now yo know why I and others react to you the way we do.

I wiill put it another way, we hav eoline problems, we have a run game problem, we have drops problems, we have play calling and design problems, but the guy who broke records, carries us, was an MVP cand is the one you mention the most.
Anthony
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:42 am

Nobody was perfect... nobody was good enough today and in spite of the injuries, drama, and decision-making deficits- we could have had a double digit win season (REMINDER.... those 10+ win seasons have been a giant rarity for the majority of our history). Whether it’s OVER for now or not, it effing sux that it’s over now. No matter the cause that each of us couch-sitting coaches assign to end of the season, game, last series, era OR whatever...were any of us smart/experienced enough, we’d be employed by an NFL team to help navigate these ever changing waters.

Go Hawks; Happy New Year!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:13 am

Hawk Sista wrote:Nobody was perfect... nobody was good enough today and in spite of the injuries, drama, and decision-making deficits- we could have had a double digit win season (REMINDER.... those 10+ win seasons have been a giant rarity for the majority of our history). Whether it’s OVER for now or not, it effing sux that it’s over now. No matter the cause that each of us couch-sitting coaches assign to end of the season, game, last series, era OR whatever...were any of us smart/experienced enough, we’d be employed by an NFL team to help navigate these ever changing waters.

Go Hawks; Happy New Year!

If your aunt had balls, she'd be your uncle. Every team loses close games. It's part of football. It's a game of inches.

Bill Parcells once said "you are what your record says you are", and this is especially true in our case. We are not a playoff quality team. We are a very pedestrian .500ish playoff wanna be.

And Happy New Years to everyone!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:21 pm

okay first off rewatch the play, if he throws it in front Willson get blownup by the safety and your bitching about that as it probably drops it. RW through it were his guy cab catch it and protect himself. My problem with you is you love to find any way you can to b**** about anything Rw does. Most of the time your wrong like now and yes I am talking about HC. You want to know why as you say some jump to ignorant conclusions is because you make a lot of ignorant statements. For instance you know our oline sucks, our run game is aweful, play calling and design is aweful. You know they script the first 15 plays but all you do is blame Rw for slow starts knowing that is what PC preaches, so there you go, now yo know why I and others react to you the way we do.

I wiill put it another way, we hav eoline problems, we have a run game problem, we have drops problems, we have play calling and design problems, but the guy who broke records, carries us, was an MVP cand is the one you mention the most.

I read until he gets blown up. Save your excuses. A QBS job is to throw a catchable football, throw to a spot that stops the receiver then, not one he has to stop, drop to his knees, catch the ball, and then scramble back to his feet. It ain't rocket science, and it wasn't a good throw, no matter what blind eye you want to turn, anymore than the throw at Grahams knees or back right foot was, or the multiple throws into Washington DBs guts were.

If that had been Hasselbeck the extent of the barrage given would have never ceased to end, your excuses are old and tired, which makes anything you say with value irrelevant.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Anthony » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:38 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:
I read until he gets blown up. Save your excuses. A QBS job is to throw a catchable football, throw to a spot that stops the receiver then, not one he has to stop, drop to his knees, catch the ball, and then scramble back to his feet. It ain't rocket science, and it wasn't a good throw, no matter what blind eye you want to turn, anymore than the throw at Grahams knees or back right foot was, or the multiple throws into Washington DBs guts were.

If that had been Hasselbeck the extent of the barrage given would have never ceased to end, your excuses are old and tired, which makes anything you say with value irrelevant.

I read till I saw it was you and then stopped cant read your BS any more.
Anthony
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum