Bennett Done?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Bennett Done?

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:56 am

It sure sounds like it:

"I probably won't be back next year," he said. "Just seems like it's a young man's game. I can see them going younger, with younger players. That's part of the game."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nf ... qrlvixypod
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Bennett Done?

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:38 am

I don't put much stock in anything a player says this soon after the fact (remember Earl being ready to hang 'em up?). We see what he's saying a month from now
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:52 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:I don't put much stock in anything a player says this soon after the fact (remember Earl being ready to hang 'em up?). We see what he's saying a month from now

There's a little bit of a difference between Earl's statement of considering retiring and Bennett's statement that the team may not want him anymore. One involves the player's personal decision, the other regards the team's options.

But I agree, we'll see in a couple of months when teams start re-shaping their rosters whether or not ours will include Bennett.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:17 pm

I don't think it will be a couple months before Seattle starts making changes.
This season was a gigantic wake up call and a sense of urgency will get things moving.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:09 pm

Bennett is done in the sense he just isn’t the same guy . His stupid offsides are not offset by productivity as in the past. I know he’s had the foot thing . He’s certajnly not worth what he’s making any more .

He and Kams deals are looking like millstones around Seattle’s neck in hindsight.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:20 pm

Largent80 wrote:I don't think it will be a couple months before Seattle starts making changes.
This season was a gigantic wake up call and a sense of urgency will get things moving.

Oh, I'm sure that they already have a pretty good idea who they're going to keep, and that might be why Bennett said what he did, that he's heard some talk. The reason why I mentioned months is because the free agency period starts on March 12th. If we are going to release him outright, the team more than likely will do it by that date in order to let Bennett have the best opportunity to latch on with a team.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:44 pm

Bennett's contract is probably too much to work out in a trade, but I wouldn't mind it happening if it were possible.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:51 pm

The only way they can reduce his cap hit is to wait until after the June 1st cuts.

Unless they can work out a trade or he retires we're going to be stuck with him and in reality, considering he had a bum knee and plantar faciitis and still got 8.5 sacks, thats not a bad thing.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby chris98251 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:52 pm

I hear him as more of a beat up and disappointed player right now.

Injuries
Political beat downs for what he stood for this season
Out of the play offs

That all has had a huge amount of wear and tear on him for a season yet he was still out there giving it his all, I think he had a knee and a foot problem and the last couple of weeks he came out a few times holding his arm or wrist.

Lets see what a month brings, hell Thomas wanted Dallas to come get him last week, the guys are tired and worn down right now, this team has a dysfunction the players are keeping under wraps very well, but snippets come out in statements. Like Dougs post game, he knows the problem but wasn't going to tell the press. The team has lost confidence in someone or something and it's eating at them and not just on one side of the ball.
chris98251
Legacy

Postby obiken » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:01 pm

I would like to move on from him, but thats just me.
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:34 am

He's realistic, and that's why he wanted the big contract as he could be cut at any time.
It's smart to prepare yourself for anything if you don't win. Some team would pick him up if he
decides to continue playing and he'll probably do well if he rotates enough to stay healthy.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:52 am

chris98251 wrote:I hear him as more of a beat up and disappointed player right now.

Injuries
Out of the play offs

That all has had a huge amount of wear and tear on him for a season yet he was still out there giving it his all, I think he had a knee and a foot problem and the last couple of weeks he came out a few times holding his arm or wrist.

Lets see what a month brings, hell Thomas wanted Dallas to come get him last week, the guys are tired and worn down right now, this team has a dysfunction the players are keeping under wraps very well, but snippets come out in statements. Like Dougs post game, he knows the problem but wasn't going to tell the press. The team has lost confidence in someone or something and it's eating at them and not just on one side of the ball.

First of all it’s very enjoyable reading your contributions to the forum. Glad you’re aboard.

Your above comments swerve into the truth when you say Bennett suffered “political beat downs “ for what he stood for.

It’s actually what he sat in his ass for. Not to reignite the circular argument but it’s why the league and FO should never allow it in the stadium. The last thing an NFL player needs is a distraction from what he’s paid to do.

Mike has been a great hawk minus the idiotic offsides and then this years nonsense and related bad karma. I definitely think it’s time for him to move on now.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:00 am

chris98251 wrote:I hear him as more of a beat up and disappointed player right now.

Injuries
Out of the play offs

First of all it’s very enjoyable reading your contributions to the forum. Glad you’re aboard.

Your above comments swerve into the truth when you say Bennett suffered “political beat downs “ for what he stood for.

It’s actually what he sat on his ass for. Not to reignite the circular argument but it’s why the league and FO should never allow it in the stadium. The last thing an NFL player needs is a self inflicted distraction from what he’s paid to do whatever it might be .

Mike has been a great hawk minus the idiotic offsides and then this years nonsense and related bad karma. I definitely think it’s time for him to move on now.[/quote]
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:29 am

Hawktawk wrote:First of all it’s very enjoyable reading your (chris's) contributions to the forum. Glad you’re aboard.

It’s actually what he sat on his ass for. Not to reignite the circular argument but it’s why the league and FO should never allow it in the stadium. The last thing an NFL player needs is a self inflicted distraction from what he’s paid to do whatever it might be .

Mike has been a great hawk minus the idiotic offsides and then this years nonsense and related bad karma. I definitely think it’s time for him to move on now.

I'm glad you mentioned Chris's contributions, Hawktalk. I've been very negligent in not acknowledging him. So chris, welcome to The Shack! I, too, enjoy reading your posts.

That's pretty much my take, too. Whether you agree with his politics or not, it was Bennett's choice to bring attention to himself and take on some pretty substantial baggage, including his very public complaint about his less than 10 minute detainment by the LV police. We can argue about how much of an effect it had on our team, but it's pretty hard denying that it was a huge, unnecessary distraction from the task at hand. I can stomach him another year or two if our coaching staff think he's worth it, but I'm not going to shed any tears if we've seen the last of him in a Hawks uniform.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:39 am

I don't believe that at all.
The Eagles are far more activist than the Seahawks but winning cures all, doesn't it? We wouldn't be having this discussion if we were 12-4 and at the top of the Division.
If anything it united the team more simply because most of the players know what the protest is about and can buy into it.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:47 am

NorthHawk wrote:I don't believe that at all.
The Eagles are far more activist than the Seahawks but winning cures all, doesn't it? We wouldn't be having this discussion if we were 12-4 and at the top of the Division.
If anything it united the team more simply because most of the players know what the protest is about and can buy into it.

How many of the Eagles players threatened to sue the cops?

All I said was that it a distraction. We can argue to what degree it affected the team, but it was without argument a distraction.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:21 am

No more of a distraction from getting religion - maybe less, and that happens all the time.
It simply wouldn't be an issue if we had HFA in the playoffs or at least 1 home game but since we had a bad year people are looking for reasons and scapegoats.
The protests are scapegoats, continued bad or declining play from an entire sector of the team or key injuries are reasons.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:57 am

No more of a distraction from getting religion - maybe less, and that happens all the time.

What... are you talking about??

It simply wouldn't be an issue if we had HFA in the playoffs or at least 1 home game but since we had a bad year people are looking for reasons and scapegoats.

I mostly agree, but what RD said is undeniably true, too- we can debate degree, but there's no way what Bennett went (put himself?) through was *not* a distraction of some kind.

Mulling possible lawsuits, I assume a lot of backlash for his questionable political/social judgment, and so on HAS to take a toll.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby The POPE » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:13 am

The problem with success is that many of these players think that people give a damm about there viewpoint. I watch the NFL to be entertained. The Vatican has to pick up the cost of the NFL package because the Pope gets bored on Sunday afternoon. The protests, religious views, etc. can take away from the game. Remember when this team was young and hungry and won a Super Bowl? That was well before any of these players used their fame as a sounding board. Too many distractions to be a SB team. Time to cut the activists out of the equation and get some players who are are looking to make a name for themselves. Worry about doing your job. Big Bill doesn’t put up with it and moves on quickly when football no longer is the main focus of a player. Players are employed in the NFL to do one job. If a player wants to be an activist or choose another subject other than football to focus their time and attention to, then they should follow their dream. Just don’t expect to get paid millions to do it. Retire, take up a cause, have fun, but do it in something other than an NFL uniform.
The POPE
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:38 am

Compare how much attention to a cause they get with protests vs press conferences after they retire - or even while they are playing.
The difference is exponential.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:11 am

NorthHawk wrote:Compare how much attention to a cause they get with protests vs press conferences after they retire - or even while they are playing.

No doubt about that. Whether or not that attention has had a positive or negative influence on society is debatable, but there is no doubt the amount of attention is there.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:14 am

Can I assume by that statement that you are equating Bennett's sitting on his pooper during the anthem and suing the police to the type of distractions Tim Tebow's public displays of his religion caused? Please tell me that you had something else in mind.

Of course, it wouldn't be an issue under those circumstances as the team would have achieved their goal(s). But since we didn't get HFA or make the playoffs, anything that might have caused us to fail is now fair game for analysis and opinion.

The protests are scapegoats, continued bad or declining play from an entire sector of the team or key injuries are reasons.

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. But your opinion is no more reflective of the truth than any other poster. Personally, I think that the key injuries excuse is a scapegoat. The last 4 weeks of the season looks too much like the first 4 for me to believe that the root cause of our failure was injuries.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:53 am

NorthHawk wrote:Compare how much attention to a cause they get with protests vs press conferences after they retire - or even while they are playing.

True. Problem is: there *is* such a thing as bad press.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:40 pm

Largent80 wrote:The only way they can reduce his cap hit is to wait until after the June 1st cuts.

Unless they can work out a trade or he retires we're going to be stuck with him and in reality, considering he had a bum knee and plantar faciitis and still got 8.5 sacks, thats not a bad thing.

Time for new leadership, but he probably stays.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:22 pm

Injuries
Out of the play offs

I think he is showing the wear and tear from the above highlight more than anything else. Just a sense that I have. Comments he's made lately that the "team" doesn't want him.

Maybe the "team" can learn what most teams of the past have already known, "Don't take your personal Chit on the field with you."
idhawkman
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum