Pete Carroll on Seahawk's Activism

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Pete Carroll on Seahawk's Activism

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:32 am

This is primarily for your benefit, North Hawk:

"Did any of the extracurricular stuff, such as political or social activism, have an effect on how you guys played?"

The ball coach (Pete Carroll) didn’t dismiss it.

“I think it had an effect in the game out there that week in Tennessee,” said Carroll, referring to the day the Seahawks spent hours discussing how they were going to respond to President Donald Trump’s “son of a b****” comment regarding the protests. “I think that was a different amount of emotional output that occurred before the game, and it looked like it the way we played. It looked like it took its toll.”

But is it possible that mentality drained them of energy or disrupted their focus at other points in the season? According to Carroll, well … it’s tough to say.

Carroll said he “thought we did OK” when it came to focusing on football after the Titans game but added that “there was still some aftermath.”

There were clues, however, suggesting Carroll might like to see the social and political commentary dialed down next season. For instance, while discussing the way his team should “handle (sensitive) topics” going forward, Carroll said, “I would like to keep them in the offseason as best we could.”

Now hopefully we can dispense with this talk about politics not having had an effect on our team. Pete Carroll hardly ever says anything about his locker room other than it's all candy canes and lollipops.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... weighs-in/
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Pete Carroll on Seahawk's Activism

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:53 am

So none of the other teams were affected as well? No others had meetings or concerns about it?
If that's the case as he stated it then it's his failure, not the players and we don't have the right mix of players that can lead the team to focus on job at hand.
We weren't the only team to go through this process and it sounds like a rationalization or excuse for their failure as a team.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:37 am

NorthHawk wrote:So none of the other teams were affected as well? No others had meetings or concerns about it?
If that's the case as he stated it then it's his failure, not the players and we don't have the right mix of players that can lead the team to focus on job at hand.
We weren't the only team to go through this process and it sounds like a rationalization or excuse for their failure as a team.

No one said that we weren't the only team affected by it or that other teams didn't have meetings or concerns. The issue here is how it affected OUR team, not the Eagles or any other team in the NFL. You seem to be arguing that the same rainstorm rains on both teams equally and therefore they will both react exactly the same and thus net effect is zero.

You claim that it had no effect, others of us said that it did, and apparently Pete Carroll thinks that it did, too.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:22 pm

It (politics) had a good, measurable part to do with why this season was complete crap.
The players by choice put this bs in front of games, then turn around and shake their head as to why there was zero rhythm and continuity all year.

We were only truly mathematically a playoff team in '17 - good enough record to qualify for most of season, then needing help at the end from one of the laziest QB's in the league (Newton). Missing out is Precisely the shake up that was needed.

And did anyone notice who Still believes in our wannabe offensive coaching the change in LA and SF in ONE YEAR. Get it? See what solid game plans and a real OC staff do? Goff went from bust to legit QB, and the Rams - lol, the freaking Rams - lead the league in scoring this season (or close to it). This is the kind of change that WE could at least explore, rather than sticking with a recipe that tastes like S*** each time it's served up.

It's time for Paul Allen to come out of the mother ship for awhile and listen to Carroll's defense of some of his coaches.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:24 pm

It's an excuse for poor performance by his/our team.
Other even more activist teams dealt with it much better and didn't have the same problems focusing on the upcoming game and that's a relevant comparison.
He obviously did a poor job handling that situation. I hope he learned from it.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby chris98251 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:46 pm

It was league wide, some teams more then others, but one question, who's job is it to get the team focused during the week and before the games anyway?
chris98251
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:08 pm

12 teams are in the playoffs, 1 will win SB. I'm sure all 12 teams were affected by kneel-down 2017 in some manner. Seattle has lost its focus, still haunted by the demon that was SB 49. An exorcism is required.....
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:48 pm

I can speak only for myself. I found it annoying, pointless, and self-aggrandizing. It made me lose respect for a lot of our players, specifically Michael Bennett who seems to want to profit by making white people uncomfortable. I don't see how a football game was the place for these protests. People are not watching football to engage in political discourse. They are watching football to escape such things and forget about them as we deal with politics enough in daily life with the news. These guys basically shoved it in our faces every week that they didn't like this nation, they wanted fan's money without any consequence for their behavior, and they let a hypocrite that didn't vote like Colin Kaepernick act as their faceman and then acted like this manchild deserved a job and respect. Colin was a chump that didn't vote feeding on attention from his pathetic protests as his football career was drying up because of his performance on the field, then using it as an excuse for why a team didn't sign him.

Their protest did nothing but annoy people. it is still doing nothing but annoying people. The only guy doing something extensive from what I hear is Doug Baldwin who is taking actual action with a programmed focused on the particular problem then randomly protesting by kneeling at a football game. An act that does nothing to solve the actual problem as football fans screaming at their elected representatives to fix the police because it's interfering with their football entertainment isn't the best way to work on a problem like questionable police shootings that affect more than black folk.

To me it showed how out of touch the modern athlete is with modern political issues such as who the police are shooting. It does no good to try to fix the police by ensuring they shoot an equal number of the right ethnicities to make people feel like they are equally brutal, then everything is ok. It was all just kind of stupid. I ignore it for the most part. When Marshawn stood for the Mexican national anthem in a nation where the police make the American police look like Mother Theresa, I was done with athlete stupidity. If you're going to protest police corruption and brutality, don't try to make a point by standing for an anthem where the corruption and brutality exceeds what you deal with at home. He just showed he's not educated and doesn't care about people being brutalized in another nation, so why should anyone care about it happening to black people here. Marshawn doesn't care about it happening to Mexicans. Great message, Marshawn, you idiot.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:48 pm

Every reason you can think of was wrong with the Seahawks this year. As I said before it was the least fun of any season I can remember going all the way back to 1976.

There are tons of excuses for all the problems, there are also remedies however, some think they are going to magically disappear while keeping everything the same as it was except for a few new players.

Politics friggin SUCK. I'm out of discussing politics because what you have are groups of people being pissed off at each other trying to make a point that will NEVER change the other persons mind. That is partially what happened this year but it certainly is not an excuse for that ass ridden product the Seahawks put out every first half of 15 games.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:17 pm

NorthHawk wrote:It's an excuse for poor performance by his/our team.
Other even more activist teams dealt with it much better and didn't have the same problems focusing on the upcoming game and that's a relevant comparison.
He obviously did a poor job handling that situation. I hope he learned from it.

Now you get it!

My point was that all teams were subjected to the same environment. They all saw Trump's tweets, but some reacted differently. Pete claims that it affected our team in at least one game, the Tennessee game. There were a number of players that didn't want to go on the field for the anthem and reportedly some white players that did. Those types of disagreements, when they happen just before kickoff, can only hurt team unity.

If you read further into that article, it talks about how Earl Thomas complained how the unity demonstration was a distraction that he didn't feel was necessary.

I'm the last person in this forum that would propose or accept an excuse for poor play. But when you run down the long list of things that the Seahawks can do to improve their performance, leaving politics off the playing field and out of the locker room is one of them, a factor that Pete himself eluded to.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:27 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:I can speak only for myself. I found it annoying, pointless, and self-aggrandizing. It made me lose respect for a lot of our players, specifically Michael Bennett who seems to want to profit by making white people uncomfortable. I don't see how a football game was the place for these protests. People are not watching football to engage in political discourse. They are watching football to escape such things and forget about them as we deal with politics enough in daily life with the news. These guys basically shoved it in our faces every week that they didn't like this nation, they wanted fan's money without any consequence for their behavior, and they let a hypocrite that didn't vote like Colin Kaepernick act as their faceman and then acted like this manchild deserved a job and respect. Colin was a chump that didn't vote feeding on attention from his pathetic protests as his football career was drying up because of his performance on the field, then using it as an excuse for why a team didn't sign him.

Their protest did nothing but annoy people. it is still doing nothing but annoying people. The only guy doing something extensive from what I hear is Doug Baldwin who is taking actual action with a programmed focused on the particular problem then randomly protesting by kneeling at a football game. An act that does nothing to solve the actual problem as football fans screaming at their elected representatives to fix the police because it's interfering with their football entertainment isn't the best way to work on a problem like questionable police shootings that affect more than black folk.

To me it showed how out of touch the modern athlete is with modern political issues such as who the police are shooting. It does no good to try to fix the police by ensuring they shoot an equal number of the right ethnicities to make people feel like they are equally brutal, then everything is ok. It was all just kind of stupid. I ignore it for the most part. When Marshawn stood for the Mexican national anthem in a nation where the police make the American police look like Mother Theresa, I was done with athlete stupidity. If you're going to protest police corruption and brutality, don't try to make a point by standing for an anthem where the corruption and brutality exceeds what you deal with at home. He just showed he's not educated and doesn't care about people being brutalized in another nation, so why should anyone care about it happening to black people here. Marshawn doesn't care about it happening to Mexicans. Great message, Marshawn, you idiot.

Excellent post, ASF!

The modern American professional athlete is out of touch with a lot of things. We idolize them by buying jerseys with their name/number on them (sorry for the redundancy, Cbob!) and put them on a pedestal as if they were some sort of God. As a whole, they're a bunch of spoiled rich kids that feel that by their success on the playing field that they now have this enlarged sense of entitlement. Of course, there are exceptions and varying degrees of being spoiled. For every Michael Bennett, there's a Deshaun Watson.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby chris98251 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:38 pm

Really I don't care about the Politics excuse, it's an out, 31 other teams had a way of handling it since they were all affected, a few years back the Saints had Katrina and handled it. Who's job is it to get the teams mindset ready for a game and focused........................ Head Coach anyone?
chris98251
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:47 pm

chris98251 wrote:Really I don't care about the Politics excuse, it's an out, 31 other teams had a way of handling it since they were all affected, a few years back the Saints had Katrina and handled it. Who's job is it to get the teams mindset ready for a game and focused........................ Head Coach anyone?

That's always been one of my complaints about Pete, that he runs a loose ship and that the inmates run the asylum. He's a very lax disciplinarian. He's the type of guy that would paint a smiley face on a casket. You'll notice that the Patriots didn't suffer any consequences from the political distractions. I wonder why?

I also happen to think that Pete's lax disciplinary style is one of the reasons why we are always one of the most penalized teams in the league.

But he is our coach and has been extremely successful with his style and it's unlikely that he will change...it is what it is.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Now you get it!

My point was that all teams were subjected to the same environment. They all saw Trump's tweets, but some reacted differently. Pete claims that it affected our team in at least one game, the Tennessee game. There were a number of players that didn't want to go on the field for the anthem and reportedly some white players that did. Those types of disagreements, when they happen just before kickoff, can only hurt team unity.

If you read further into that article, it talks about how Earl Thomas complained how the unity demonstration was a distraction that he didn't feel was necessary.

I'm the last person in this forum that would propose or accept an excuse for poor play. But when you run down the long list of things that the Seahawks can do to improve their performance, leaving politics off the playing field and out of the locker room is one of them, a factor that Pete himself eluded to.

Are you saying some players are looking around the locker room and saying to themselves that they aren't going to play as hard because someone protests for 2 minutes before a game?
Politics is part of every workplace, but fortunately it's not on TV for the most part.
As far as a distraction goes, I doubt they spent as much time on that as they did playing video games.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum