Hawks going to London

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Hawks going to London

Postby mykc14 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:32 am

It's our turn we will be playing the Raiders in London week 6 next year, meaning our bye comes week 7. I don't like the games in London, especially for West Coast teams, but it had to happen. The NFL is not going to miss out on a cash cow like that. On a side note, if we don't make the playoffs next year we will be in line to do 'Hard-Knocks' as well.
mykc14
Legacy
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:45 am

Re: Hawks going to London

Postby Largent80 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:41 am

Why do they call it the NATIONAL football league?

Not the International FL.

Dumb. And unessesary.
User avatar
Largent80
Legacy
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: Magnolia, Texas

Re: Hawks going to London

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:45 am

It's really tough on West Coast teams but since it's against the Raiders at least it's an equal travel and time change hurdle.
Who is the "Home Team" in this game? Too bad it can't be scheduled as away games for each team.
NorthHawk
Legacy
 
Posts: 4523
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 am

Re: Hawks going to London

Postby Oly » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:40 am

NorthHawk wrote:It's really tough on West Coast teams but since it's against the Raiders at least it's an equal travel and time change hurdle.
Who is the "Home Team" in this game? Too bad it can't be scheduled as away games for each team.


The Raiders are "home"
User avatar
Oly
Legacy
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:01 pm
Location: Podunk, IN

Re: Hawks going to London

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:18 pm

Makes sense that it is the Raiders franchise that loses a "home" game here since they are destined for Las Vegas anyhow so I guess it is only right by N.F.L. standards to slap the fans of Oakland one more time while they still can.

Well, in the time of Oakland's travails against Al Davis and the Davis 's family football franchise, the OALKAND Raiders many other towns and states had ponied up for brand new stadiums and some places (Detroit, Minneapolis, Seattle, etc...) got TWO all mostly paid for by John Q. Public. What DID the tenants of Oakland Alameda County Stadium get??? Mostly NADA, oh, a few meager upgrades but that is about it. Oakland says that unlike other municipalities they just have NEVER had the money. At some junctures in the history of the two pro franchises that use that stadium they have weathered a few down turns, SO HAVE WE ALL! I believe that furnishing a new stadium has just not been a priority and the Oakland and Alameda County Councils, respectively have consistently decided to spend their tax payer's money else where and so far the voters seem to agree because these law makers the suffer no penalty at the ballot box because of these policies.

So, since it would seem that there is not enough of the populace in and around the city of Oakland and the Alameda County Ca. area to SUPPORT an NFL team other than selling out paid attendance (the attendance of the A's is LOW no matter how often they win) so they should not cry so hard now that Davis has found a new home that will appreciate HIS Raiders and shower them with lots of dollars that this franchised has been starved of while other franchises, lesser franchises flourished off the fat of the land.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:56 pm

Re: Hawks going to London

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:35 pm

It's better that the trip to London/Mexico City or wherever be counted as an away game, otherwise it costs you a home game.

We got fans across, nice for them to get a chance to go to a Hawks game.
User avatar
c_hawkbob
Legacy
 
Posts: 3224
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:34 pm
Location: K-evil Kentucky, 42053

Re: Hawks going to London

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:29 pm

Largent80 wrote:Why do they call it the NATIONAL football league?

Not the International FL.

Dumb. And unessesary.


I can't say that I disagree.

But the London games in particular are here to stay, at least for the near term. The NFL has signed a commitment to play 2 games per season at the new Tottenham stadium for the next 10 years. So you might as well learn to embrace it and make the most of it. For football junkies, it adds a 4th time slot on Sundays.

We are one of the very few teams left in the league that hasn't played an international game, with the lone exception being a game against the Bills in Toronto a few years back.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7716
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: Hawks going to London

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:42 pm

NBA NHL are also National names so it's just a convenient name.
NorthHawk
Legacy
 
Posts: 4523
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 am

Re: Hawks going to London

Postby mykc14 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:23 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:It's better that the trip to London/Mexico City or wherever be counted as an away game, otherwise it costs you a home game.

We got fans across, nice for them to get a chance to go to a Hawks game.



Yeah I agree with this. It would be a double whammy to have to travel there and lose a home game!
mykc14
Legacy
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:45 am

Re: Hawks going to London

Postby politicalfootball » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:26 pm

I love London and want to go there maybe when the Hawks my favorite team play the Raiders my second favorite team. I was a Raiders fan when there was no Seahawk team, (Yes I am that old) So I am all for this game happening.
User avatar
politicalfootball
Legacy
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:47 am

Re: Hawks going to London

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:08 pm

It sure beats the hell out of going to Oakland to watch this game....
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7716
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: Hawks going to London

Postby obiken » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:47 am

RiverDog wrote:It sure beats the hell out of going to Oakland to watch this game....

London? big deal its stupid but thats the modern NFL.
obiken
Legacy
 
Posts: 1974
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:50 pm
Location: Wilsonville, Oregon 97070

Re: Hawks going to London

Postby idhawkman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:20 am

obiken wrote:London? big deal its stupid but thats the modern NFL.

Of course London, Mexico, Canada, whatever it takes now that Goodell has pissed off 20% of his U.S. fan base.
User avatar
idhawkman
Legacy
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:00 am

Re: Hawks going to London

Postby depaashaas » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:10 pm

Anyone knows what time? If it's like 6.30am like previous times I record it, 6.30 is just to early to get drunk
User avatar
depaashaas
Legacy
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:08 am
Location: shelton wa

Re: Hawks going to London

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:54 pm

depaashaas wrote:Anyone knows what time? If it's like 6.30am like previous times I record it, 6.30 is just to early to get drunk


Last season, they had two games at Twickenham, a 6:30am PT game and one at 10:00am PT. Supposedly the ratings of the 6:30am games aren't as high as they had hoped, so they might be going back to 10:00 am, but that's just a guess.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7716
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: Hawks going to London

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:34 pm

I am just glad we didn't lose a home game. 6:30 or 10 A.M. works for me, in fact, I would prefer the earlier 6:30 A.M. because that would dovetail with the other start times of 10 A.M. (1 P.M. ET) and 1 P.M. (4 P.M. ET) and lastly the 5:30 P.M. (8:30 P.M. ET) that, and Sunday Ticket makes for a full day and night of watching N.F.L. Football.

Now, if they can fix the officiating and Instant Reply problems and stop the penalties for celebrations and IF the players would take their politics OFF of the field and fro in front of the cameras, especially during the Star Spangled Banner. They can say and do what ever they want to do on their own time, they are really being detrimental to the financial well being of not just their employers but the entire league and the very communities where the N.F.L. has franchises. I think I can say that none of the players who have been taking a knee or otherwise not standing respectively with your right hand over your heart in salute to our flag, Old Glory, that none of these players had it in mind to actually HURT their communities, they would say that they were INFORMING their communities.

That's true, and now you have had YOUR SAY the players need to dial it back because they also need to understand that their actions, or non-actions have actually hurt the very communities they were "informing". The less money the NFL and their franchises make the less money goes in to the plethora of charities that are directly and indirectly financed NFL Charities. Then, if there are less fans in the seats there we be less stadium workers hired to serve those less fans. It goes all the way down the line, many people and many businesses, small businesses depend on these jobs that sports teams generate.

So, like I said, they have informed everyone that communities need to work closer together with their local law enforcement so that problems can be rectified and that can only happen if the people who are being served and protected work with those who are doing the serving and protecting. Can there be reforms? You Bet there can! Are there some people who do not belong in various positions in LEO but would thrive in others?? Training and I mean actually paying for the training and not just going through the motions. The public have to do their part too, when they know of crimes or know people who have committed crimes they need to step forward because by protecting criminals it puts the rest of us in danger. I was taught from the time I could talk that when you inter-act with a LEO it is "yes, sir, no, sir. You also keep your hands in plain sight and you do NOT make any movement, whether to your wallet or your glove box UNTIL the LEO tells you and then that LEO will talk you through it and you go really really slow, make NO SUDDEN MOVEMENTS oh, and passengers, you should be sitting still and NOT squiriling around, keep your hands in plain sight and your mouth shut unless a LEO asks you a question. Anyway, a person who does what they are supposed to do and not do what they know they shouldn't do and 99.9% of the time such a person should come out alright and nothing worse than a ticket or maybe even a warning unless they have some out standing tickets and/or warrants out for either their or one of their passengers arrest. But, even then if you just let the LEO's do their jobs and cut out the "lip" and the shear stupidity there would be a lot less people getting into a fatal confrontation with LEO's.

There are some LEO's that would be better on a desk and not in a stress full situation with a weapon in their hand. Some people just shouldn't have that job. Some times it isn't apparent until AFTER they have passed their training and have been certified that problems start to show up. That is when the police working WITH the officer's union or other representative to give that officer additional training. There will be times when it will be apparent that no amount of training will solve the problem(s). When that happens, it will be the DUTY of both the police dept. AND the officer's representative (union) to either find a position within the department they can do or maybe retraining for another city-county job that suited them and everyone better. That person may not like being told that they didn't cut it after all, but it is better to be reassigned than fired. Problems can be turned into solutions if people are willing to work hard to find them.

That is one thing I have not heard from these protesting players, possible solutions to the problems they are protesting about. Maybe there have been and I missed them, I am sorry if I did. Maybe if they concentrated on solutions we might hear their message better.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:56 pm

Re: Hawks going to London

Postby Largent80 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:09 pm

WTF to the above post.
Is it even possible to have fun anymore?
Walls of text b.s. in my opinion.

Back on the thread topic...

If you are going there prepare for some crappy food.
User avatar
Largent80
Legacy
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: Magnolia, Texas

Re: Hawks going to London

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:18 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:I am just glad we didn't lose a home game. 6:30 or 10 A.M. works for me, in fact, I would prefer the earlier 6:30 A.M. because that would dovetail with the other start times of 10 A.M. (1 P.M. ET) and 1 P.M. (4 P.M. ET) and lastly the 5:30 P.M. (8:30 P.M. ET) that, and Sunday Ticket makes for a full day and night of watching N.F.L. Football.

Now, if they can fix the officiating and Instant Reply problems and stop the penalties for celebrations and IF the players would take their politics OFF of the field and fro in front of the cameras, especially during the Star Spangled Banner. They can say and do what ever they want to do on their own time, they are really being detrimental to the financial well being of not just their employers but the entire league and the very communities where the N.F.L. has franchises. I think I can say that none of the players who have been taking a knee or otherwise not standing respectively with your right hand over your heart in salute to our flag, Old Glory, that none of these players had it in mind to actually HURT their communities, they would say that they were INFORMING their communities.

That's true, and now you have had YOUR SAY the players need to dial it back because they also need to understand that their actions, or non-actions have actually hurt the very communities they were "informing". The less money the NFL and their franchises make the less money goes in to the plethora of charities that are directly and indirectly financed NFL Charities. Then, if there are less fans in the seats there we be less stadium workers hired to serve those less fans. It goes all the way down the line, many people and many businesses, small businesses depend on these jobs that sports teams generate.

So, like I said, they have informed everyone that communities need to work closer together with their local law enforcement so that problems can be rectified and that can only happen if the people who are being served and protected work with those who are doing the serving and protecting. Can there be reforms? You Bet there can! Are there some people who do not belong in various positions in LEO but would thrive in others?? Training and I mean actually paying for the training and not just going through the motions. The public have to do their part too, when they know of crimes or know people who have committed crimes they need to step forward because by protecting criminals it puts the rest of us in danger. I was taught from the time I could talk that when you inter-act with a LEO it is "yes, sir, no, sir. You also keep your hands in plain sight and you do NOT make any movement, whether to your wallet or your glove box UNTIL the LEO tells you and then that LEO will talk you through it and you go really really slow, make NO SUDDEN MOVEMENTS oh, and passengers, you should be sitting still and NOT squiriling around, keep your hands in plain sight and your mouth shut unless a LEO asks you a question. Anyway, a person who does what they are supposed to do and not do what they know they shouldn't do and 99.9% of the time such a person should come out alright and nothing worse than a ticket or maybe even a warning unless they have some out standing tickets and/or warrants out for either their or one of their passengers arrest. But, even then if you just let the LEO's do their jobs and cut out the "lip" and the shear stupidity there would be a lot less people getting into a fatal confrontation with LEO's.

There are some LEO's that would be better on a desk and not in a stress full situation with a weapon in their hand. Some people just shouldn't have that job. Some times it isn't apparent until AFTER they have passed their training and have been certified that problems start to show up. That is when the police working WITH the officer's union or other representative to give that officer additional training. There will be times when it will be apparent that no amount of training will solve the problem(s). When that happens, it will be the DUTY of both the police dept. AND the officer's representative (union) to either find a position within the department they can do or maybe retraining for another city-county job that suited them and everyone better. That person may not like being told that they didn't cut it after all, but it is better to be reassigned than fired. Problems can be turned into solutions if people are willing to work hard to find them.

That is one thing I have not heard from these protesting players, possible solutions to the problems they are protesting about. Maybe there have been and I missed them, I am sorry if I did. Maybe if they concentrated on solutions we might hear their message better.


Come on, guy. I'm not one to ask that we always stay on a narrow path, but when 90% is clearly off topic, you need to start another thread. We're talking about the Hawks-Raiders game in London, not police work.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7716
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: Hawks going to London

Postby ibis ti-mojo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:27 pm

[quote="Largent80"]WTF to the above post.
Is it even possible to have fun anymore?
Walls of text b.s. in my opinion.

Back on the thread topic...

[b]If you are going there prepare for some crappy food.[/[/b]quote]

Haha. I guess you were on the tourist line.

Plenty of good food in London. Just got to do a little homework, like any big city.
ibis ti-mojo
Legacy
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: Hawks going to London

Postby chris98251 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:05 pm

They have McDonalds.....................
User avatar
chris98251
Legacy
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:15 pm
Location: Renton


Return to Seahawks Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest