Solari is the new OL Coach

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Solari is the new OL Coach

Postby Largent80 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:28 pm

2nd time around. I was bummed when we lost him, dude is smart, doesn't use one style or another depending on whats needed. Did you like Gore tearing through us for years?....Guess what??? Solari was coaching that line after he left Seattle.

Be HAPPY..... :D
http://sports.mynorthwest.com/394026/re ... ine-coach/
Largent80
Legacy

Re: Solari is the new OL Coach

Postby chris98251 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:29 pm

From everything I have read, He coached for Brians dad and with Pete, so their are ties there, he adapts his schemes not only to philosophy but to the OC schemes as well, and then teaches and sets up the O line to take advantage of the players strengths to implement what is desired.
chris98251
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:16 pm

Proof = pudding.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:34 am

"if, if, if I had only had Fant & Carson" -Tom Cable That will be his excuse why Solari excelled and he failed with many of the same players.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:30 am

Mike Holmgren was a hard core O-line HC and even though it was after our great O-line of that era had fallen apart, Holmes saw Solari as the guy to resurrect things, he just never got the chance. If Mike believed in him I'm OK with giving him a go.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:36 am

C hawkbob you are right Holmes knew the OL
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:48 am

Holmy knew Offense, but didn't pay much attention to Defense. Kind of the opposite to what we have here.

Now that we have our coaches in place, the FO can get together with them and figure out Free Agency and the Draft much better than if we went to the SB.
That time may be huge in getting the players that can really help us and rid us of players that don't. 4 extra weeks is a long time to sift through film.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:31 am

We are one running game away from having a good offense.

We're about to experience a player purge plus the new coaches. I would say it may be similar to what the Lambs just went through.

Or not.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:48 am

I like this hire. I have always liked the way he OL has played. It's one of those funny things that are hard to know for sure: was he a good OL coach because he had so much talent or were his guys so good because he was such a good coach. Just moving away from the ZBS and using our RB's out of the backfield should help the overall performance of our OL.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby chris98251 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:12 pm

Holmgren believed in having smart players especially on the O line, Solari may follow that logic, great athletics are nice but without a head attached are a waste unless your doing something that requires no thinking.
chris98251
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:04 am

chris98251 wrote:Holmgren believed in having smart players especially on the O line, Solari may follow that logic, great athletics are nice but without a head attached are a waste unless your doing something that requires no thinking.

Holmgren might have believed that logic, but he didn't always follow it. He drafted Chris Spencer as our center then tolerated him for I don't know how long. Spencer never could make good calls at the LOS.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:26 am

Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:01 am

Largent80 wrote:http://sports.mynorthwest.com/394810/ex-nfl-ol-rob-sims-seahawks-will-see-immediate-difference-with-solari/

It will be nice to be optimistic about the OL going into a game.
It's been a long time since I've felt confident in that group.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:47 am

The good news is you can't get worse than worst.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:31 am

Largent80 wrote:The good news is you can't get worse than worst.

That's what I thought heading into this season...
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:49 am

Largent80 wrote:The good news is you can't get worse than worst.

It's not exactly rock bottom ala a 0-16 season like the Browns, but by our standards, it can't get much worse than not making the playoffs. This was the worst team we've fielded since the 2010 season.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby chris98251 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:00 pm

Holmgren might have believed that logic, but he didn't always follow it. He drafted Chris Spencer as our center then tolerated him for I don't know how long. Spencer never could make good calls at the LOS.[

Record: 13-3-0, 1st NFC West Division  (Schedule and Results)
Coach: Mike Holmgren (13-3-0)
Points For: 452 (28.3/g) 1st of 32
Points Against: 271 (16.9/g) 7th of 32
Expected W-L: 12.3-3.7
SRS: 9.11 (4th of 32),  SOS: -2.20
Playoffs:
Won Divisional Round 20-10 vs. Washington Redskins
Won Conference Championship 34-14 vs. Carolina Panthers
Lost Super Bowl 10-21 vs. Pittsburgh Steelers
Offensive Coordinator: Gil Haskell
Defensive Coordinator: John Marshall, Ray Rhodes
Other Notable Asst.: Teryl Austin (Defensive Backs) and Jim Zorn (Quarterbacks)
Stadium: Qwest Field
Chairman: Paul Allen
President/General Manager: Tim Ruskell
Offensive Scheme: West Coast
Defensive Alignment: 4-3
Training Camp: Eastern Washington University (Cheney, Washington)
chris98251
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:29 am

chris98251 wrote:Record: 13-3-0, 1st NFC West Division  (Schedule and Results)
Coach: Mike Holmgren (13-3-0)
Points For: 452 (28.3/g) 1st of 32
Points Against: 271 (16.9/g) 7th of 32
Expected W-L: 12.3-3.7
SRS: 9.11 (4th of 32),  SOS: -2.20
Playoffs:
Won Divisional Round 20-10 vs. Washington Redskins
Won Conference Championship 34-14 vs. Carolina Panthers
Lost Super Bowl 10-21 vs. Pittsburgh Steelers
Offensive Coordinator: Gil Haskell
Defensive Coordinator: John Marshall, Ray Rhodes
Other Notable Asst.: Teryl Austin (Defensive Backs) and Jim Zorn (Quarterbacks)
Stadium: Qwest Field
Chairman: Paul Allen
President/General Manager: Tim Ruskell
Offensive Scheme: West Coast
Defensive Alignment: 4-3
Training Camp: Eastern Washington University (Cheney, Washington)

And your point is?????
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:42 pm

I'd guess that Spencer may not have been Holmes' pick. I can't say I know whether he was or not, but Mike didn't have final say in all things the way Pete does.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby chris98251 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:25 pm

Holmgren had next to no input in the draft, part of what pissed him off, he had to work with what Ruskell gave him.

Remember High Character guys from Big schools have to be good, Kelly Jennings comes to mind as well.
chris98251
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:16 pm

So this means we will actually start using a fullback more, correct?
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:10 am

EmeraldBullet wrote:So this means we will actually start using a fullback more, correct?

Pete talked about getting back to the run game and the most success they had was with a proper FB, so maybe that's in the cards.
Schottenheimer has used multiple TE's in the past so that might be part of it, too.

A couple of guys that might be options in the mid to late rounds are
Jaylen Samuels NC State
He's thought of as an all purpose back who catches a lot out of the backfield and is a good blocker.
It might give the OC more tools to work with.

Dimitri Flowers Oklahoma
He is more of an traditional FB, but can catch as well.
If they go stud RB early they might want to have a lead back to help clear the way.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:20 pm

Eh, Holmgren drafts weren't no magic success either, Ruskfool had about as many players like Jennings as Holmgren did.... the SB season Ruskfool somehow drafted rookies that contributed greatly ( y'all forget Tatupu and Boulware already?) Signed some pretty key free agents on that defense... without his moves that season, there's no SB.

I ain't defending him, guy dismantled that team as quickly as it was assembled through shear stupidity, I'm just pointing out without his drafts on D and signing, Seattle lacks the ability to get to the SB.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:13 pm

Just having a new approach will be refreshing.
Not even Pete could justify keeping the status quo any longer concerning his offensive coaches.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:05 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Eh, Holmgren drafts weren't no magic success either, Ruskfool had about as many players like Jennings as Holmgren did.... the SB season Ruskfool somehow drafted rookies that contributed greatly ( y'all forget Tatupu and Boulware already?) Signed some pretty key free agents on that defense... without his moves that season, there's no SB.

I ain't defending him, guy dismantled that team as quickly as it was assembled through shear stupidity, I'm just pointing out without his drafts on D and signing, Seattle lacks the ability to get to the SB.

It's easy to forget, but up until the Mora season when the team went over the cliff, everyone and their dog were singing the praises of Tim Ruskell, including all the regulars in the old PI forum, myself included.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:46 pm

RiverDog wrote:
It's easy to forget, but up until the Mora season when the team went over the cliff, everyone and their dog were singing the praises of Tim Ruskell, including all the regulars in the old PI forum, myself included.

Nope. Timmy lost me completely with the Hutch fiasco.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:32 pm

RiverDog wrote:It's easy to forget, but up until the Mora season when the team went over the cliff, everyone and their dog were singing the praises of Tim Ruskell, including all the regulars in the old PI forum, myself included.

I wasn't. I never much cared about Ruskell. I didn't hate him. I didn't like him. I didn't think much about him. I wasn't a Trust in Tim guy, but I do remember the phrase.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:40 pm

Well, ya'all weren't very vocal in your expressions of displeasure of TR as it certainly didn't leave much of an impression on me.

BTW, anyone remember how we ended up with Earl Thomas in the first place? I do. We had two #1 picks in Pete's first year, courtesy a ridiculously one sided trade that Ruskell negotiated with the Broncos from the year before. We used our own #1 on Russell Okung and Denver's #1 on Earl.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:56 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I'd guess that Spencer may not have been Holmes' pick. I can't say I know whether he was or not, but Mike didn't have final say in all things the way Pete does.

He defended the pick of Spencer and so did you C-bob, in one of the worst drafts in Hawk history.
obiken
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:45 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I'd guess that Spencer may not have been Holmes' pick. I can't say I know whether he was or not, but Mike didn't have final say in all things the way Pete does.

obiken wrote:He defended the pick of Spencer and so did you C-bob, in one of the worst drafts in Hawk history.

You'r taking me out of context Obi. Riv was asking what the previous poster's point was, my response was merely my guess at what that point may be, not a statement of my take on the matter.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:22 am

RiverDog wrote:Well, ya'all weren't very vocal in your expressions of displeasure of TR as it certainly didn't leave much of an impression on me.

BTW, anyone remember how we ended up with Earl Thomas in the first place? I do. We had two #1 picks in Pete's first year, courtesy a ridiculously one sided trade that Ruskell negotiated with the Broncos from the year before. We used our own #1 on Russell Okung and Denver's #1 on Earl.

Wasn't that when McDaniels was the HC for a short time in Denver?
He made some strange moves, one of which benefited us big time.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:33 am

NorthHawk wrote:Wasn't that when McDaniels was the HC for a short time in Denver?
He made some strange moves, one of which benefited us big time.

Yep, it sure was. They traded for our 2009 2nd rounder in lieu of their 2010 first rounder. The guy they picked with our 2nd round was a total nobody, the guy we got for their first rounder is a sure fire HOF'er.

Additionally, it was McDaniel that traded up in the first round to select Tim Tebow, and we all know how that worked out. No wonder his HC act there was short-lived.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:59 pm

RiverDog wrote:Well, ya'all weren't very vocal in your expressions of displeasure of TR as it certainly didn't leave much of an impression on me.

That was a great trade by Ruskell. Though McDaniels made that a gimme.

Like I said, I didn't speak out against Tim. I wasn't particularly supportive of him. I did dislike Jim Mora Jr. though. I was glad when he was gone. He was one coach I did not want.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:30 pm

I was, coined the Ruskfool name on the PI... doesn't mean I was bashing him as they went to the SB, but was vocal about it being Holmgrens team and players that went.... that being my opinion then, didn't change, I'm just pointing out Holmgren had some seriously horrible picks as well.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:35 pm

Ah, Chris Spencer... spent hours fighting with someone about how Spencer was a worse center than Unger ( guard version) can't remember who it was, but it's almost like I could see a decent lineman, and not.... throw Locklear into that discussion as well, pointed out his poor play immediately.... hmmmm.... weird.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:17 am

Old but Slow wrote:Solari must be pretty involved by now. Any signs of any statements or opinions from him as yet? It will be interesting to hear his assessment of the line. It might give us some insights into what we can expect.

I doubt they would give any statements from him so as to not tip off other teams what players they may like in either FA or the Draft.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum