Kreig reincarnate.

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Kreig reincarnate.

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:39 pm

I’ve been pulling for the vikes since Seattle was out. I was cool with falcons etc and it’s really stress free playoff ball but I like Keenum. I’ve always felt he was resourceful and plucky .

It occurred to me watching him the last couple of games the uncanny resemblance to Mud bone. Undrafted and maligned . Does nothing excellent but everything well.throws the ball from sidearm and even submarine positions and has great accuracy and touch on the deep ball . And he’s got a complete team around him, something Dave seldom had.
Am I out to lunch ? For me it’s just kind of a flashback .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Re: Kreig reincarnate.

Postby Stream Hawk » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:42 pm

I wouldn't know, did the Hawks exist before 2012?
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:01 pm

If it happened in the Kingdome it was part of a parallel alien universe that only a few had the privileged of visiting.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:14 pm

I guess I would need to invest more time than two games to say. Both scrappy... yes. Kreig seems like a better athlete and passer in that sampling, but I do wear blue/green glasses. We shall see, indeed. Great ??
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:43 am

Keenum reminds me of Gary Kubiak. Every time we would have the "fortune" of playing the Broncos and Old Horse Face either was already out or we knocked him out this Kubiak guy would come in and just destroy us as if he were really Elway in disguise. Well, Keenum would be the guy who would some in for Stafford, or Bradford, or Smith or whomever he was backing up that year, or game and he would come in and just shred our defense and after the game the excuse was "we didn't have any film on the guy". He is sort of a "mudbone" who moved around. He might make a good coach some day, he's got it upstairs, just doesn't have all the physical tools. I want to see a Jags-Vikings SB that way a team that never won will win one. ANYBODY BUT THE PATS!!!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:54 am

Not too get off track like I always do but I wonder what happens with Keenum after the season. I suppose a lot depends on the next 2 games but hasn't the guy played his way into some money and job security? Would the Vikes pull a Trent Dilfer if the guy should win a SB?
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:15 am

Keenum doesn't turn the ball over like Mudbone did. On second thought, no one turned the ball over like Mudbone.

It will, indeed, be interesting as to what happens to Keenum next year. Suppose he wins the SB MVP? With Schumer almost certainly leaving for another team, does Keenum follow him or do the Vikings resign him and decline to pick up Bridgewater's option, making him a FA? Bridgewater is still pretty much an unproven quantity.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:35 am

RiverDog wrote:Keenum doesn't turn the ball over like Mudbone did. On second thought, no one turned the ball over like Mudbone.

It will, indeed, be interesting as to what happens to Keenum next year. Suppose he wins the SB MVP? With Schumer almost certainly leaving for another team, does Keenum follow him or do the Vikings resign him and decline to pick up Bridgewater's option, making him a FA? Bridgewater is still pretty much an unproven quantity.

I was gonna say Krieg had the soap dish pass down pretty well and threw a relatively high number of picks but his line had Russell Wilson syndrome much of his career and also QB and receiver protections were much less advantageous in the day.
Keenum's ill advised moon ball for a pick in the second half did remind me of Krieg as well though.
Buth have that blue collar lunch pail and hard hat came from nowhere attitude and both scrap till the last whistle.
I still remember Krieg at arrowhead in 1989 driving the length of the field in 38 seconds and throwing a TD to Skansi as time expired. Also a miracle win against NE in the mid 80s on a last second bomb to Ray Butler.
Just brought back a little nostalgia.
I always pull for the underdogs.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:40 am

Hawktawk wrote:I was gonna say Krieg had the soap dish pass down pretty well and threw a relatively high number of picks but his line had Russell Wilson syndrome much of his career and also QB and receiver protections were much less advantageous in the day.
Keenum's ill advised moon ball for a pick in the second half did remind me of Krieg as well though.
Buth have that blue collar lunch pail and hard hat came from nowhere attitude and both scrap till the last whistle.
I still remember Krieg at arrowhead in 1989 driving the length of the field in 38 seconds and throwing a TD to Skansi as time expired. Also a miracle win against NE in the mid 80s on a last second bomb to Ray Butler.
Just brought back a little nostalgia.
I always pull for the underdogs.

Krieg's interceptions weren't nearly as frustrating as his fumbles. I swore, that guy was so butter fingered that he would have dropped his newborn baby. And yes, I, too, remember that TD pass to Paul Skansi that resulted in a very rare win at Arrowhead. If I'm not mistaken, that play remains as this franchise's only walk off TD. I definetly had a huge love-hate relationship with Dave Krieg.

I'm with ya in rooting for Keenum and the Vikings.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Oly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:59 am

I guess I'm the only guy thinking that Keenum's final pass was either a bad decision or bad throw made good by worse tackling. There is no way Keenum should have thrown it 4 or 5 yards inside the sideline. If Diggs had been tackled like he should have been, everyone would be asking why he didn't throw a sideline pass there.

That aside, I'm totally pulling for Minny to win it all. I spent 9 years living in Vikings country and they were always my childhood NFC team. (Like most kids, I chose my #2 based on uniform and I still love everything about the Vikings' uni.)
Oly
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:59 am

Oly wrote:I guess I'm the only guy thinking that Keenum's final pass was either a bad decision or bad throw made good by worse tackling. There is no way Keenum should have thrown it 4 or 5 yards inside the sideline. If Diggs had been tackled like he should have been, everyone would be asking why he didn't throw a sideline pass there.

The ball was thrown towards the sidelines, completed no more than 3 yards in bounds...indeed, Diggs nearly stepped out of bounds after catching it, so I'd call that a sideline pass. Additionally, although he wasn't running full tilt, Diggs momentum was carrying him towards the sidelines, and with both him and Williams roughly the same size and weight with Williams coming in from a bit of an angle, it would have taken a perfect tackle to bring Diggs down in bounds. IMO the only chance Williams had was to take Diggs feet out from underneath him when he went airborne to make the catch. Otherwise, Diggs could have easily won a struggle to get just a yard or two out of bounds.

The problem was that Williams put his head down prior to the tackle and completely whiffed, taking out his teammate in the process.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:38 am

RiverDog wrote: On second thought, no one turned the ball over like Mudbone.

Get off Kreig's back!!!! These guys have more career turnovers than him (Ints/Fumb)... There were a few guys who turned it over like Mud Bone!

Farve 502
Moon 394
Testiverde 390
Elway 363
Marino 362
Kreig 351
Dan Fouts 348
Eli Manning 343
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Oly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:05 am

RiverDog wrote:The ball was thrown towards the sidelines, completed no more than 3 yards in bounds...indeed, Diggs nearly stepped out of bounds after catching it, so I'd call that a sideline pass. Additionally, although he wasn't running full tilt, Diggs momentum was carrying him towards the sidelines, and with both him and Williams roughly the same size and weight with Williams coming in from a bit of an angle, it would have taken a perfect tackle to bring Diggs down in bounds. IMO the only chance Williams had was to take Diggs feet out from underneath him when he went airborne to make the catch. Otherwise, Diggs could have easily won a struggle to get just a yard or two out of bounds.

The problem was that Williams put his head down prior to the tackle and completely whiffed, taking out his teammate in the process.

This image suggests it was a good 4 yards, IMO. And I don't think it would have taken a perfect tackle; a good angle with his head up would have done it. Diggs' momentum would have been nullified by the fact that he was in the air.
Oly
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:20 pm

Keenum made a great throw. Perfect...The area was flooded with 2 receivers along the sidelines, one went in and Diggs went out and Keenum put it the only place he could. Up high is the only reason it was a score as it lifted him over the defender.

People are too hard on the safety. He beat the ball to the player so he ducked under. The safety couldn't have hit him without a PI. The still photo is deceptive in that Diggs is already flying past him as he high points the ball. At point of picture its an incredible athletic catch and pivot staying in bounds from a score. Safety is already screwed with no chance and picks off the only other defender in the area as he goes down. In hindsight tackling before the catch would have been a better play setting up a long FG . Best would have been setting up a little deeper and making sure nothing can get behind you. Horrible defensive strategy at the end by the Saints.

Richest of all is the footage of Sean Payton facing the Vikings fans with his back to the field with 25 seconds left and mocking them with their own Skol sign. Ruh Roh.
If I were the owner Id have a little chat with a coach who blew a game in the worst fashion imaginable while he was preoccupied taunting the fans.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:18 pm

mykc14 wrote:Get off Kreig's back!!!! These guys have more career turnovers than him (Ints/Fumb)... There were a few guys who turned it over like Mud Bone!

Farve 502
Moon 394
Testiverde 390
Elway 363
Marino 362
Kreig 351
Dan Fouts 348
Eli Manning 343

You'd have to divide those numbers by games played or offensive plays for that stat to have any relevance. I'm pretty sure that most if not all of those QB's played in way more games than did Krieg.

Besides, it wasn't just that he fumbled, it was the way he fumbled, usually while trying to do something Favre-ish. I once saw Krieg fumble when there wasn't a player within 5 yards of him, he just plain dropped the ball.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:30 pm

Oly wrote:Image

This image suggests it was a good 4 yards, IMO. And I don't think it would have taken a perfect tackle; a good angle with his head up would have done it. Diggs' momentum would have been nullified by the fact that he was in the air.

How can you see that he was 4 yards away? It's a close up angle and you can't even see the sidelines. 4 yards is a lot of space in a close up angle like that pic.

I think we can settle the debate by noting that not only would Williams have had to hit him while he was in the air, he would have had to make the tackle in such a manner that Digg's feet would not have hit the ground, meaning that he would have had to have gone below the waist and taken his legs out from underneath him. If he hesitates and tries to wrap him up rather than hurling himself at his legs, Diggs hits the ground and makes it a few steps to to the sideline.

The other thing is that Williams might have been preoccupied about drawing a PI, and hesitated enough to throw his timing off.

This play is libel to get scrutinized as much as Russell's pick in SB 49.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Oly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:47 pm

RiverDog wrote:How can you see that he was 4 yards away? It's a close up angle and you can't even see the sidelines. 4 yards is a lot of space in a close up angle like that pic.

The picture is cut off when displayed in the forum. You can see more of the sideline in the original pic: https://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/2018/ ... -catch.jpg. It makes a difference when you see the full thing (I don't know how to make it small enough to appear in full). Crawley is between the 35 and 40 (http://cdn1.thecomeback.com/wp-content/ ... 32x447.jpg) and Diggs catches it at the 35. That means in the first picture I linked, the 35 is the line just ahead of Crawley. There is probably 1.5 yards between Crawley's right hip and the start of the hash mark at the 35, then there however long it is from the left of the hash mark to the sideline.

RiverDog wrote:I think we can settle the debate by noting that not only would Williams have had to hit him while he was in the air, he would have had to make the tackle in such a manner that Digg's feet would not have hit the ground, meaning that he would have had to have gone below the waist and taken his legs out from underneath him. If he hesitates and tries to wrap him up rather than hurling himself at his legs, Diggs hits the ground and makes it a few steps to to the sideline.

The other thing is that Williams might have been preoccupied about drawing a PI, and hesitated enough to throw his timing off.

This play is libel to get scrutinized as much as Russell's pick in SB 49.

I think if Williams had timed it so he could wrap around the waist in the air he could have twisted him down far in bounds, even if he let Diggs' feet hit. I'm sure you've seen that Hawk Tackle video Pete released. Imagine that Williams wrapped around the waist from behind in the air, let Diggs' feet hit, started twisting by putting himself between Diggs and the sideline. That's not a really tricky tackle, either, especially because Williams had his head on that side of Diggs anyway. That would have put Williams behind Diggs' knees with Diggs' back to the sideline. I don't think Diggs would have been strong enough to drag a defender 5 or 6 steps to the sideline, especially given that his angle to the catch wasn't perpendicular to the sideline.

I think you're probably right about Williams being preoccupied and that throwing things off.

I'll put my idea this way: if Earl or Kam had been in that position, I would have been shocked if they let Diggs get out of bounds.

In the end, though, I don't really care about it that much. Certainly not enough to argue as much as I have. :-P
Last edited by Oly on Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oly
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:04 pm

RiverDog wrote:
You'd have to divide those numbers by games played or offensive plays for that stat to have any relevance. I'm pretty sure that most if not all of those QB's played in way more games than did Krieg.

Besides, it wasn't just that he fumbled, it was the way he fumbled, usually while trying to do something Favre-ish. I once saw Krieg fumble when there wasn't a player within 5 yards of him, he just plain dropped the ball.

Actually when adding games played it doesn't much change the outcome. I'll show you a breakdown of turnovers per game played and total games in parentheses:

Favre 1.6 (302)
Moon- 1.3 (208)
Testiverde- 1.7 (233)
Elway- 1.6 (234)
Marino- 1.5 (242)
Fouts- 1.9 (181)
Eli- 1.6 (216)
Kreig- 1.6 (213)
mykc14
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:29 pm

So about as good as Eli Manning. Looks like Moon would win the battle of turnovers and he was a Seahawk for a while.

Goodbye Seahawks !
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:31 pm

politicalfootball wrote:So about as good as Eli Manning. Looks like Moon would win the battle of turnovers and he was a Seahawk for a while.

Go Seahawks !
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:44 pm

Krieg played forever. He had a lot of snaps to be that far down the list .

It kind of gets overlooked but for his greatness Russ has a habit of laying it on the ground too. I’d be curious to know snap for snap how they measure up fumble wise.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:48 pm

mykc14 wrote:Actually when adding games played it doesn't much change the outcome. I'll show you a breakdown of turnovers per game played and total games in parentheses:

Favre 1.6 (302)
Moon- 1.3 (208)
Testiverde- 1.7 (233)
Elway- 1.6 (234)
Marino- 1.5 (242)
Fouts- 1.9 (181)
Eli- 1.6 (216)
Kreig- 1.6 (213)

OK, now you've done it. You've made me do my homework (you are a teacher, so I guess that's fair!).

Your numbers did change quite a bit. In your previous graphic, all but two of the 8 QB's had more turnovers than Krieg. In this one, there's only two that had fewer. The other thing I've noted is that your numbers do not show a fair comparison. Although he played in 213 games, Krieg only started in 175 of them. By contrast, Moon started in 203 out of 208, Favre in 298 of his 302.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... vrBr00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... onWa00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ieDa00.htm

But that aside, my argument wasn't about total turnovers, it was specific to fumbles. You're the one that added interceptions to the equation. Here's the all time list of NFL fumblers:

Brett Favre 166
Warren Moon 161
Dave Krieg 152
Kerry Collins 139
John Elway 137
Drew Bledsoe 123
Boomer Esiason 123
Vinnie Testaverde 116
Eli Manning 115
Tom Brady 114

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... career.htm

I can't find a source that tracks offensive plays ran in a player's career, which would be the best yardstick to measure fumbling, but as we both noted, Favre played in a lot more games than either Krieg or Moon, by 90 some games, and although they played in roughly the same number of games, Moon started in 32 more games, two full seasons, than did Krieg. And as I said before, it wasn't so much how often Krieg fumbled, it was the manner in which he fumbled.

My point is that Dave Krieg is one of the most notorious fumblers in NFL history, and as a Seahawk fan from 1976, he will go down in my book as having caused some of the most classic F-ups (and to be fair, some of our greatest moments) in franchise history.
Last edited by RiverDog on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:04 pm

Dave Krieg : Jim Zorn , Matt Hasselback . All time greats in my book. I too have been watching the Seahawks since 1976. I have a coaches name for you to.

Mike Holmgren. Coaches are more important too.

Go Seahawks !
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:18 am

politicalfootball wrote:Dave Krieg : Jim Zorn , Matt Hasselback . All time greats in my book. I too have been watching the Seahawks since 1976. I have a coaches name for you to.

Mike Holmgren. Coaches are more important too.

Go Seahawks !

Lets dont forget Ground Chuck either. Hes right there for second best with Holmgren . Holmgren has the one SB appearance but didn't win a playoff game and had only 2 appearances in his first 5 seasons.He never won a playoff game on the road in 10 seasons

Knox went to the AFC title game his first year after benching a seattle legend Zorn at halftime of a Steelers loss.Seattle was getting blown out and Zorn had played dreadfully the week before. The team led by Krieg stormed back and nearly won the game. Asked from the podium if he was considering a QB switch he said "I made it at halftime" :D :D Their win in the Orange bowl vs Miami was the stuff of legends. Unfortunately beating the Raiders 3 times was a bridge too far.

His second season in Seattle he was planning to ride a back named Curt Warner all the way to the Super Bowl but when that got derailed in the opener ground chuck handed the ball to his UDFA and said throw it up Dave to the tune of 32 TD passes, a 12-4 record and a trip to the Divisional round. "play the hand you're dealt". He was a better seat of the pants coach and tougher than Holmy.Holmgren had a system, Knox had a philosopy.
I loved Holmy but hes 2-b as a Seattle coach, his GB history notwithstanding.

Still these were the 3 best eras in the history of the franchise and hopefully this era isn't waning.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:58 am

RiverDog wrote:
OK, now you've done it. You've made me do my homework (you are a teacher, so I guess that's fair!).

Your numbers did change quite a bit. In your previous graphic, all but two of the 8 QB's had more turnovers than Krieg. In this one, there's only two that had fewer. The other thing I've noted is that your numbers do not show a fair comparison. Although he played in 213 games, Krieg only started in 175 of them. By contrast, Moon started in 203 out of 208, Favre in 298 of his 302.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... vrBr00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... onWa00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ieDa00.htm

But that aside, my argument wasn't about total turnovers, it was specific to fumbles. You're the one that added interceptions to the equation. Here's the all time list of NFL fumblers:

Brett Favre 166
Warren Moon 161
Dave Krieg 152
Kerry Collins 139
John Elway 137
Drew Bledsoe 123
Boomer Esiason 123
Vinnie Testaverde 116
Eli Manning 115
Tom Brady 114

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... career.htm

I can't find a source that tracks offensive plays ran in a player's career, which would be the best yardstick to measure fumbling, but as we both noted, Favre played in a lot more games than either Krieg or Moon, by 90 some games, and although they played in roughly the same number of games, Moon started in 32 more games, two full seasons, than did Krieg. And as I said before, it wasn't so much how often Krieg fumbled, it was the manner in which he fumbled.

My point is that Dave Krieg is one of the most notorious fumblers in NFL history, and as a Seahawk fan from 1976, he will go down in my book as having caused some of the most classic F-ups (and to be fair, some of our greatest moments) in franchise history.

As long as I have made you do some research I am happy!! The only reason I added interceptions is because you said "nobody turned the ball over like mudbone." I understand that your comment was tongue and cheek but when somebody disrespects Mudbone I've got to defend him a little bit. I guess it goes back to grade school when my friends would always talk about how crappy he was and I was the only one who would defend him. I agree that he turned the ball over too much and at inopportune times. The other thing that my stats didn't count is fumbles LOST. I could only find total fumbles. I would imagine if you dig into FUMBLES LOST Kreig would be higher on that list than he is in TOTAL FUMBLES. I know he had his faults but anytime Mudbone is bashed I have to defend him at least a little bit...
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:57 am

mykc14 wrote:As long as I have made you do some research I am happy!! The only reason I added interceptions is because you said "nobody turned the ball over like mudbone." I understand that your comment was tongue and cheek but when somebody disrespects Mudbone I've got to defend him a little bit. I guess it goes back to grade school when my friends would always talk about how crappy he was and I was the only one who would defend him. I agree that he turned the ball over too much and at inopportune times. The other thing that my stats didn't count is fumbles LOST. I could only find total fumbles. I would imagine if you dig into FUMBLES LOST Kreig would be higher on that list than he is in TOTAL FUMBLES. I know he had his faults but anytime Mudbone is bashed I have to defend him at least a little bit...

Yea, you're right, I did say turnovers. My bad.

I'm actually a Dave Krieg fan and liked the guy alot, even before he became a starter. One of the local stations, KING I believe, did an in-depth interview with him prior to his being turned to as "the guy", and I can remember taking a liking to him at that time. He was a fierce competitor, his teammates loved him, and he made more out of his talents than other quarterbacks from more prestigious universities (now defunct Milton College). And although his fumbles are what we remember most about him, he compiled some HOF worthy numbers in other areas of his game.

So I don't mind you defending him at all. He's in our ROH for a reason.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:17 am

RiverDog wrote:
although his fumbles are what we remember most about him, he compiled some HOF worthy numbers in other areas of his game.

Dave Krieg was QB at a perfect time for me as a kid. I was born in '81 so while he was playing I was too young to really focus on anything that he did wrong. All I remember about him was that he was undersized and made plays that I didn't think any other QB could make. When I think of Dave Krieg I think about him spinning out of Derrik Thomas' 8th sack of the game and hitting Paul Skansi on a 25 yard TD to win the game. That game/play was his career in a nutshell. He had 2 or 3 fumbles (on for a TD) and threw 2 TD's. He got the crap knocked out of him by Thomas and had the resilience to make the game winning play at the end of the game. He was the MAN!!!!
mykc14
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum