Regardless

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Regardless

Postby Largent80 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:05 am

Of whether each one of us likes the new hires or not the good news is the super bowl is over 2 weeks away and our new staff is already working towards the upcoming season.

Not trying to spin cat gut into gold yarn, but getting a big head start rather than waiting to poach other coaches and going through the interview process the staff can now begin the evaluation process of the draft and free agent players.

This is a good thing.
Largent80
Legacy

Re: Regardless

Postby mykc14 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:30 am

Largent80 wrote:Of whether each one of us likes the new hires or not the good news is the super bowl is over 2 weeks away and our new staff is already working towards the upcoming season.

Not trying to spin cat gut into gold yarn, but getting a big head start rather than waiting to poach other coaches and going through the interview process the staff can now begin the evaluation process of the draft and free agent players.

This is a good thing.

If it came down to the right guy vs. getting the wrong guy in 2 or 3 weeks early I would always take the right guy. I am not saying we have the wrong guys but I certainly hope that didn't play too much into the decision to hire or not hire somebody they really liked. In other words if PC felt that the best candidate was Eagles QB coach DeFilippo I would hope he would be willing to wait for him to be out of the playoffs. With all of that being said it is better to have the extra weeks than not to have the extra weeks.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:44 am

Largent80 wrote:Of whether each one of us likes the new hires or not the good news is the super bowl is over 2 weeks away and our new staff is already working towards the upcoming season.

This is a good thing.

I don't blame Pete a bit for pulling the trigger now. He seemed to know exactly who it was he wanted, so there was no sense procrastinating.

I don't know how much of an advantage it is having a 2-3 week head start over the playoff teams. It sure hasn't worked any wonders for the Cleveland Browns. :)
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:06 am

Todd Haley was just fired as the Steelers OC. He has had very good talent for most of his career as an OC (almost the opposite of Schott) but his offenses have definitely been very good. In the 7 years that he has been an OC his teams have finished in the top 10 scoring and total yards 5 times. He runs a run first offense that would work really well with PC's overall philosophy. Again, maybe Schott ends up being great for us but this just shows that hiring a guy early isn't always the best course of action. With that being said I think PC had his eyes on Schott and that was his guy from the get go.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:48 am

Haley was someone I wouldn't mind based on success, but apparently he's known to be difficult to work with.
I'm not sure Pete wants to be butting heads when we are capable of winning it all with a few changes.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:03 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Haley was someone I wouldn't mind based on success, but apparently he's known to be difficult to work with.
I'm not sure Pete wants to be butting heads when we are capable of winning it all with a few changes.

Yeah, I have heard that too and that is probably why he was let go. Alot of that seemed to stem from his relationship with Big Ben, who I have also heard can be difficult to get along with. I don't see RW having the same sort of problem, but who knows Haley could just be a jerk.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:33 pm

mykc14 wrote:Yeah, I have heard that too and that is probably why he was let go. Alot of that seemed to stem from his relationship with Big Ben, who I have also heard can be difficult to get along with. I don't see RW having the same sort of problem, but who knows Haley could just be a jerk.

Haley made some absouletly horrendeous 4th and less than one calls last Sunday that arguably cost the Steelers the game and their season vs. Jax, one a toss sweep and another a 15 yard crossing route when he had one of the biggest quarterbacks in the league behind one of the best offensive lines in the league.

I don't know if that had anything to do with his being fired or not, but it couldn't have helped his cause.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:22 pm

RiverDog wrote:
Haley made some absouletly horrendeous 4th and less than one calls last Sunday that arguably cost the Steelers the game and their season vs. Jax, one a toss sweep and another a 15 yard crossing route when he had one of the biggest quarterbacks in the league behind one of the best offensive lines in the league.

I don't know if that had anything to do with his being fired or not, but it couldn't have helped his cause.

I read an article about that. Mike Tomlin, as a rule, says no QB sneaks. With their personnel a QB sneak seems the perfect play though. As far as the actual plays running right at the Jags, with their OL, seems like it would have been the best option. At the same time his offense put up 45 points and over 600 yards against the 6th ranked D in the league (#5 in scoring). It seems like if anybody should have been fired because of that game it should have been their DC.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:24 pm

If you are in the divisional round of the playoffs and put up over 500 yards of offense, that is hardly a reason to be fired. Something else going on there.

And that something else can go to another team. We need continuity and trust on the Hawks at this moment.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:52 pm

Largent80 wrote:If you are in the divisional round of the playoffs and put up over 500 yards of offense, that is hardly a reason to be fired. Something else going on there.

Something else is. Apparently the Steelers made the decision not to renew Haley's contract at the end of the regular season. There's been a much reported but roundly denied rift between Haley and Worthlessburger. Haley's replacement as the OC is their QB coach, a person with which Big Ben has a very good relationship with.

And more fallout from the Steeler's loss: A group of non voting minority owners are supposedly going to petition Art Rooney to have Tomlin fired. The Steelers have only had 3 coaches in the past 50 years.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby chris98251 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:22 pm

I read an article about that. Mike Tomlin, as a rule, says no QB sneaks. With their personnel a QB sneak seems the perfect play though.

Worked here for Cowher.
chris98251
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:30 pm

That was a busted play from outside the 5. If Alan faneca gets called for a blatant chokehold from behind completely pulling DD Lewis out of the way Ben is down far short of the goal. But of course in XL it was one of at least half a dozen blatant no cAlls to go with the 6 horrible calls on Seattle.

But yeah Tomlin is living on his reputation now. Very poor decision making down the stretch in many games.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:37 pm

Hawktawk wrote:That was a busted play from outside the 5. If Alan faneca gets called for a blatant chokehold from behind completely pulling DD Lewis out of the way Ben is down far short of the goal. But of course in XL it was one of at least half a dozen blatant no cAlls to go with the 6 horrible calls on Seattle.

But yeah Tomlin is living on his reputation now. Very poor decision making down the stretch in many games.

Even with the choke-hold he was short...
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:52 am

Maybe. Ref runs in with one hand up then slides up
The second . He explained he forgot the right signal :roll:
Hawktawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum