running game

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

running game

Postby qmuddy2 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:19 am

will hawks improve running game ? thanks
qmuddy2
Legacy

Re: running game

Postby Rambo2014 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:44 am

NO

Glad to be of assistance

Next Question
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:58 am

qmuddy2 wrote:will hawks improve running game ? thanks

That's the focus in the off season according to Pete, so with a new OC and OL coach, the OL should be better all around.
But they have to draft a stud RB to really make it work. Carson might end up being good, but he hasn't shown enough to
really say if he can be that guy, so I expect at least 1 RB being drafted and it should be near the 1st pick they make.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:55 pm

qmuddy2 wrote:will hawks improve running game ? thanks

The failure to do so is the main reason why Pete cleaned house of his assistants, so I sure hope it improves.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Oly » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:22 pm

Yeah, way too many moving pieces to even start making a prediction. I'd hope that Schott/Solari are better than Bevell/Cable, but adjusting to new schemes can have rough patches.

We should only count on two returning OL starters, at least in the same position (Brown and Britt).

Who the hell knows who will make the roster at RB.

Will the Hawks have a good blocking TE, which seems important for Schott?

All of this makes me not confident in making predictions based on personnel. I would, however, predict improvement based on the simple principle that it can hardly get worse and regression to the mean seems likely.
Oly
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Looking at the roster, I believe only Carson and Procise are under contract for next year. Procise could be cut with minimal dead cap implications I think, I am far from an expert on this, but looks like only about $346,000 in dead cap money if cut? Davis and Rawls are RFA's. Rawls should not be tendered an offer, this guy has to go. Too bad, he does have talent, but way too injury prone and I could not stand him jumping up after every 3 yard run and getting in the face of someone. It finally bit him in the a** in that last game when he got 15 yards for taunting and put them out of field goal range. Davis I would like to see in camp.

J.D. McKissic is an Exclusive Right free agent, and have little doubt he will be brought back to camp to battle for a spot. He should be the guy to take over for Procise.....Lacy is a UFA and is as good as gone.

So right now, I believe Davis, Carson, and McKissic will be back, at least in camp. I think Davis and Carson will battle it out for just one of the spots, McKissic has the inside track for the 3rd down back, and the lead back role is wide open for business. Whether it be a free agent or a draft pick, someone needs to take the bull by the horns. Carson showed flashes of being that guy, but got injured so that will be a knock against him.

The one thing I liked about all these guys(along with the whole team) is they didn't fumble the ball away(except Wilson). Wilson fumbled the ball 14 times this year and only lost it 3 of those times. Rawls fumbled once and lost it, and McAvoy fumbled once and lost it. That was it. Only 5 fumbles lost on 18 that hit the ground (the other 2 were Britt and Wagner losing the ball after they recovered a fumble).
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:16 am

Draft pick or picks are the way to do it. So What do you think about the 1st round pick ?
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:54 am

Agent 86 wrote:Looking at the roster, I believe only Carson and Procise are under contract for next year. Procise could be cut with minimal dead cap implications I think, I am far from an expert on this, but looks like only about $346,000 in dead cap money if cut? Davis and Rawls are RFA's. Rawls should not be tendered an offer, this guy has to go. Too bad, he does have talent, but way too injury prone and I could not stand him jumping up after every 3 yard run and getting in the face of someone. It finally bit him in the a** in that last game when he got 15 yards for taunting and put them out of field goal range. Davis I would like to see in camp.

J.D. McKissic is an Exclusive Right free agent, and have little doubt he will be brought back to camp to battle for a spot. He should be the guy to take over for Procise.....Lacy is a UFA and is as good as gone.

So right now, I believe Davis, Carson, and McKissic will be back, at least in camp. I think Davis and Carson will battle it out for just one of the spots, McKissic has the inside track for the 3rd down back, and the lead back role is wide open for business. Whether it be a free agent or a draft pick, someone needs to take the bull by the horns. Carson showed flashes of being that guy, but got injured so that will be a knock against him.

The one thing I liked about all these guys(along with the whole team) is they didn't fumble the ball away(except Wilson). Wilson fumbled the ball 14 times this year and only lost it 3 of those times. Rawls fumbled once and lost it, and McAvoy fumbled once and lost it. That was it. Only 5 fumbles lost on 18 that hit the ground (the other 2 were Britt and Wagner losing the ball after they recovered a fumble).

That's a good summation, 86. I, too, do not expect to see Rawls back in camp this season. He was a one hit wonder. Procise might not be back, either, due to his inability to stay on the field. But the fact that he can play like a wide receiver might earn him another chance, especially if Schott decides he wants to widen our passing game horizonatally with more running back screens.

I expect us to trade down into the 2nd round and pick up a RB with our first overall pick.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:32 am

It wouldn't surprise me if JS traded down twice. Once into the mid to late 20's and again to either the bottom of the 1st or early 2nd.
There's just too much talent between 18 and 116 to miss out on to not do so.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:09 am

NorthHawk wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if JS traded down twice. Once into the mid to late 20's and again to either the bottom of the 1st or early 2nd.
There's just too much talent between 18 and 116 to miss out on to not do so.

I honestly didn't read this before posting in the draft thread, but this is exactly what I'm thinking.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:46 am

Lamb-Blower2014 wrote:YES

Glad to be an ass.

Off to the basement I go....Hiiiiii-Deeee-Hoooooooooo
Largent80
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:07 am

I want a rb like Fournett in fact or the draft
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:39 am

Fournette was a pretty high draft pick and outside of Barkley I don't think anyone in this draft has his promise.
But there are some real good RBs to be had and maybe they select 2 fairly good ones.
I read a comparison of Rashaad Penny to Marshall Faulk outside of them both playing in the same college (San Diego St.) and if true, he could be someone they are targeting.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:56 am

So what about Carson and Davis? Do either of them have the ability to be that RB that we've been looking for?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:00 am

Carson was a real surprise, but he doesn't yet have a body of work at the NFL level yet. He might be real good, but he might be a 4 game wonder.
The RB's early in the draft are all top players who did real well at that level and look to project as being good at the NFL level, too.
I've always said, though that the draft is about selecting potential as nothing is guaranteed.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:23 am

The draft is more than "I like a certain player in the NFL and I want a guy like that on the Hawks". C'Mon man, it simply doesn't work that way. If that were the case every team in the league would all want an Earl Thomas.

There is ONE Earl Thomas, not a gazillion of them.

We need another decent back from this years draft and Rashaad Penney would be a perfect fit. So would Jones. I would be ecstatic with either of those guys. But REMEMBER.....Last year was also a good RB year and the Hawks waited to the 7th round to draft Carson.

Instead they drafted McDowell. UGH......Hindsight sucks sometimes but that was an ass pick. Maybe worst of all times in Hawk history.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:23 pm

The bar for bad picks is pretty low IMO, but if he doesn't play this year it will rank with the lowest.
I've only seen highlights of Penny, but from the reports I've read, he might be the real deal.
He has the size JS and PC like and his production in College was pretty good.
We should be able to see him in the Senior Bowl this Saturday so maybe we will see what he's like against some of the better players.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:27 pm

Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:51 pm

He looks like he has good vision, speed, explosiveness, and some real good hands.
However highlight reels show only the best and I would like to see more of when he was challenged at or before the LoS which is what he will see if he plays for us.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum