Seahawks Draft

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Seahawks Draft

Postby Largent80 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:25 am

Hawks are looking at Wake Forest Safety Jessie Bates III.

Eyebrows were raised when Wake Forest safety Jessie Bates III announced he was entering the draft, but this was primarily from people unfamiliar with his game.

Bates’ film is impressive — he’s an athletic center fielder who plays with excellent speed, displays great range and really stands out in pass coverage.

Though he’s just a redshirt sophomore, Bates plays disciplined, assignment football and is never out of position.

There are some who feel his ball skills are good enough that a move to corner is possible. While I don’t necessarily agree with this, I do believe Bates is the type of safety who can line up over the slot receiver when necessary.

While we presently stamp Bates with a fifth-round grade, there are a few teams who believe he could go as early as the third round. The Seattle Seahawks and Green Bay Packers are two of the teams looking hard at Bates.
User avatar
Largent80
Legacy
 
Posts: 1474
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: Magnolia, Texas

Re: Seahawks Draft

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:06 am

Bates looks like the type they go for in later rounds, but who knows how they have him rated.
We currently have the 18th pick then the 4th round 116th (before 3rd round comp picks) and NFLDraftScout has him rated as a 4th round pick.
He might be someone to keep an eye on at the Combine.
NorthHawk
Legacy
 
Posts: 4642
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 am

Re: Seahawks Draft

Postby Largent80 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:02 pm

Thers no way JS doesnt trade for more picks.
User avatar
Largent80
Legacy
 
Posts: 1474
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: Magnolia, Texas

Re: Seahawks Draft

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:24 pm

Largent80 wrote:Thers no way JS doesnt trade for more picks.


Agreed.
User avatar
c_hawkbob
Legacy
 
Posts: 3272
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:34 pm
Location: K-evil Kentucky, 42053

Re: Seahawks Draft

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:25 pm

I think it's a given. JS has traded down when he HAD 2nd and 3rd round picks in order to accumulate more, so now that he doesn't it seems a no brainer.
But since everyone expects it and knowing there will be more than 100 picks between ours, teams might try to drive a harder bargain (of course they then risk the chance to get their player, but still...) when negotiating a trade down for us.
NorthHawk
Legacy
 
Posts: 4642
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 am

Re: Seahawks Draft

Postby Largent80 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:30 pm

Draft picks aren't even set yet because there could and probably will be trades, picks will be garnered before the draft is my feeling.
User avatar
Largent80
Legacy
 
Posts: 1474
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: Magnolia, Texas

Re: Seahawks Draft

Postby Old but Slow » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:03 pm

Much can happen twixt the cup and the lip. The draft is still several weeks away, and luck and circumstance may change things. It seems likely that PC/JS will hold that 1st pick until they are on the clock, with at least one trade option available, depending on who is taken just ahead of them. A team like Atlanta might like to move ahead of Dallas, for instance, if there is a player they want. And if the right player fell, the Seahawks could take the plunge and keep the pick.

Hopefully, a trade down would give a later round 1 pick or an early 2, and with a 2d or 3d as well. Another trade down is not unreasonable in order to gain more picks. Then, on day 3, the FO will try to turn our 3 seventh round picks into one or two earlier picks.

With that in mind, I have started looking at players who could come into play at various levels. At #18, I would make the pick if (unreasonable hope) Barkley, QNelson, Bradley Chubb, or Vita Vea was there. It would be very tempting to take Billy Price, Ronald Jones III, Tremaine Edmunds, or Tim Settle.

Late in the first, or early 2d, there is a feast of choices, and then there is another group of interesting players early on day 3.

Schneider will fiddle with the picks he has, weigh the odds, and put together a pretty decent draft. Things are going to be shaken up pretty good in the coming months, it seems, and it feels to me that JS likes that kind of challenge more than just building depth behind an accomplished team.
Old but Slow
Legacy
 
Posts: 905
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:05 pm
Location: Bellingham, WA 98225

Re: Seahawks Draft

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:21 am

You're right, ObS, a lot of water will flow under the bridge before draft day, but I think it's almost certain JS will trade down. I don't see any real possibility of them staying where they are.
JS is greedy about comp picks and is must have hurt him inside to give away 3 natural picks in early rounds for Richardson and Brown (next years 2nd is gone, too), so in my mind trading down is pretty much a given.
The meat of this draft seems to be from the late 1st to early 3rd and after that it looks to me like the players that would help us the most will be gone. There will be a few exceptions left, but we won't select until about 122 after all
of the 3rd round comp picks are included. I think it's also why ET is being talked about as being moved as he could return some good draft capital and give some serious Cap relief. With Kam's contract now guaranteed for 6.8 million barring some type of injury settlement there's more impetus to reduce the Cap number.
NorthHawk
Legacy
 
Posts: 4642
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 am

Re: Seahawks Draft

Postby Largent80 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:37 am

I think Earl is as good as gone for those 2 reasons. We're short on draft capital in a draft that is heavy with the teams needs, and for cap relief.
User avatar
Largent80
Legacy
 
Posts: 1474
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: Magnolia, Texas

Re: Seahawks Draft

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:50 pm

When was the last time a team gave up HOF caliber players for draft picks, during the prime of their career that benefited them?

If they trade ET for a couple picks, barring those picks immediately playing on a HOF level, I would seriously question their acumen. You do not cast HOF caliber talent aside for gambles on unproven, inexperienced, question marks. That's fan fiction, not intelligent, comprehensive management.

Only a fool would trade the leader of the defense in their prime for player x in the draft. How many whiffs are necessary to reinforce that? If you can fleece someone * like QB fleecing* you pull that trigger, but no way do you do that before. Ie 3 firsts and 2 2nds or something of that nature, does anyone see that as a realistic expectation? No? Then you simply don't do it.

Doubtful Carroll interested in a complete rebuild, and if they trade ET, that is indeed what it is.
User avatar
HumanCockroach
Legacy
 
Posts: 4484
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:41 pm
Location: Woodinville, Wa

Re: Seahawks Draft

Postby RiverDog » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:01 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:When was the last time a team gave up HOF caliber players for draft picks, during the prime of their career that benefited them?

If they trade ET for a couple picks, barring those picks immediately playing on a HOF level, I would seriously question their acumen. You do not cast HOF caliber talent aside for gambles on unproven, inexperienced, question marks. That's fan fiction, not intelligent, comprehensive management.

Only a fool would trade the leader of the defense in their prime for player x in the draft. How many whiffs are necessary to reinforce that? If you can fleece someone * like QB fleecing* you pull that trigger, but no way do you do that before. Ie 3 firsts and 2 2nds or something of that nature, does anyone see that as a realistic expectation? No? Then you simply don't do it.

Doubtful Carroll interested in a complete rebuild, and if they trade ET, that is indeed what it is.


I think that the consensus of posters in here is exactly the same as you've articulated regarding Earl Thomas. A trade is out of the question unless Earl is demanding to get out. I say offer him Eric Berry money plus, he deserves to be the highest paid safety in the game, and if that's not good enough, then go ahead and trade him to whatever team he wants to play for...Cowboys, I suppose. In any event, the ball's in his court.

There's no way we could get equal value out of a trade.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: Seahawks Draft

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:06 pm

I don't think anyone wants to trade him, but rather it's a scenario that might happen because of Cap pressures and like RD said him wanting to leave.
He's said he wants to finish his career here, but I don't know what's really going through his head or if he's just saying it as an out from the avalanche of questions that would follow if he was ambivalent or stated he wanted out.
Only he knows the real story.
NorthHawk
Legacy
 
Posts: 4642
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 am

Re: Seahawks Draft

Postby Largent80 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:02 pm

Who knows what to believe with Earl when he says I want to finish here, then goes chasing the head coach of the Cowboys down saying "come and get me".

I'm going with the latter. He's grateful with the Hawks but would like to finish in Dallas.

That being my gut. So, just trade him, get the picks and reload and there will not be another Earl Thomas in the draft or anywhere, but Earl is on the downside of his career and there is no argument otherwise.
User avatar
Largent80
Legacy
 
Posts: 1474
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: Magnolia, Texas

Re: Seahawks Draft

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:56 pm

Until you can actually provide even a LITTLE evidence that that's the case, you're simply attempting to justify your own position with hot air and hyperbole..... use as many irrelevant examples as you want, claim there's no argument, but you know you haven't provided a SINGLE factual claim justifying your position.
User avatar
HumanCockroach
Legacy
 
Posts: 4484
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:41 pm
Location: Woodinville, Wa

Re: Seahawks Draft

Postby Largent80 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:44 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Until you can actually provide even a LITTLE evidence that that's the case, you're simply attempting to justify your own position with hot air and hyperbole..... use as many irrelevant examples as you want, claim there's no argument, but you know you haven't provided a SINGLE factual claim justifying your position.


I don't know why there is a need to turn a discussion about hot air and hyperbole. I don't have to defend any of my posts but feel free to actually add any capable draft choices to the conversation about draft choices, unless you are a mouthbreathing troll that feels the need to prop yourself up by berating others.

By the way, my wife teaches his cousin at Lone Star College and I specifically asked her to ask Earl about this and guess what?...I was correct.
User avatar
Largent80
Legacy
 
Posts: 1474
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: Magnolia, Texas

Re: Seahawks Draft

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:35 pm

Earl is 28 years old. He plays safety. He's hardly on the downside of his career. He has likely another 3 to 5 great years in him. I'd trade Bobby Wags before Earl, but don't want to trade either. Keeping Sherm, Earl, and Wags as the cornerstones of our defense is a must in my opinion. With Frank Clark, Bennett,and some young and up comers on D-line, we can focus on adding at other positions.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 12:38 am

Re: Seahawks Draft

Postby RiverDog » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:48 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Earl is 28 years old. He plays safety. He's hardly on the downside of his career. He has likely another 3 to 5 great years in him. I'd trade Bobby Wags before Earl, but don't want to trade either. Keeping Sherm, Earl, and Wags as the cornerstones of our defense is a must in my opinion. With Frank Clark, Bennett,and some young and up comers on D-line, we can focus on adding at other positions.


Minor correction. Earl turns 29 in May.

But I do agree with what you are saying about him. Earl's experience, in particular his anticipation as to where the play is going, is priceless. It is reasonable to expect that he can play at a Pro Bowl level for at least 2-3 more seasons. As far as him getting traded, that's something that should be Earl's call. We offer to make him the highest paid safety in the game and if that's not enough, then ask him who he wants to play for and initiate a trade.

I'm not sure if keeping Sherman is a must. We'll have to see how he recovers from his Achilles injury.

I have a feeling that this is gonig to be an interesting offseason. It's already started with a bang with all the coaching changed.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: Seahawks Draft

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:05 pm

RiverDog wrote:But I do agree with what you are saying about him. Earl's experience, in particular his anticipation as to where the play is going, is priceless. It is reasonable to expect that he can play at a Pro Bowl level for at least 2-3 more seasons. As far as him getting traded, that's something that should be Earl's call. We offer to make him the highest paid safety in the game and if that's not enough, then ask him who he wants to play for and initiate a trade.

I'm not sure if keeping Sherman is a must. We'll have to see how he recovers from his Achilles injury.

I have a feeling that this is gonig to be an interesting offseason. It's already started with a bang with all the coaching changed.



You see our points per game without Sherm? It wasn't pretty. Having a shutdown corner on one side of the field makes playing defense much, much easier.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 12:38 am

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: NorthHawk and 3 guests