Seahawks Draft

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Seahawks Draft

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:09 pm

No idea what John and Pete will do. My feeling is BPA for our needs, probably O-line or D-line.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Yah, it depends on how the draft falls.
If a player that Pete and John thinks is a top10 player is there, they might sit and select him at 18 then try to move up later.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:41 pm

Well, they have seen the same things we have seen and they did get rid of all the coordinators so if that is the case, they have to be thinking O-Line, hell, even D-Line. Avril gone, Bennett probably too, Richardson???...There's gonna be holes to fill there as well, but this team needs to win the trench battles. We put a lot of pressure on QB's but didn't seal the deal enough.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:33 pm

BPA is going to depend heavily on how we do in the Free Agent markets. Who we lose as well as who we might gain.

I'm confident that the reason Richard was released is because of how few turnovers we have got over the last two years. I think the #1 reason for the drop in turnovers is the lack of pressure on the QB and Richard didn't know how to fix the DL or how to blitz, etc.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:13 am

This will be the first year of being able to trade compensatory picks, so that will be a factor as well because the Hawks have a bunch of F.A. and as was stated, that is going to also factor into what they do, but I still see them trading back.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:26 am

Let's say Seattle trades down to the range they generally do - pick 28-36. Who ya got in that range?

If we must go offensive line, I'm taking Tyrell Crosby in a heartbeat. He is a monster. My top OL in draft behind Nelson. 34+ inch arms, power, decent technique. Isaiah Wynn could be a cornerstone guard to build around, as well. Comes from a great Georgia program.

For running back, Michel or Chubb. We could build around either guy.

Michel could add another dimension to our offense with his excellent pass-catching ability to go along with his rushing proficiency. He'd go great alongside our more traditional back in Carson. If you want a bell cow, Chubb is it. He's explosive, SPARQy, and passes the eyeball test.

A cornerback to keep an eye on is Isaiah Oliver out of Colorado. 6'1, 195. Has length and physicality - will probably be picked top-30.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:34 am

I also think that if there is a huge run on QB's (and there is a possibility of 5 being taken round 1) that the Hawks may take BPA and depending on the comp picks acquired for next year, make a trade with those or maybe even trade a player or 2 for picks.

But the needs may outweigh all of this and fortunately for the Hawks, there are players available to fill most of those needs, they just need the picks.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:19 am

Largent80 wrote:I also think that if there is a huge run on QB's (and there is a possibility of 5 being taken round 1) that the Hawks may take BPA and depending on the comp picks acquired for next year, make a trade with those or maybe even trade a player or 2 for picks.

But the needs may outweigh all of this and fortunately for the Hawks, there are players available to fill most of those needs, they just need the picks.

Yah, that's the unexpected highly ranked player falling to 18 scenario.
I've never been able to figure out who they are targeting and there are some surprises every year so unless it's someone like Barkley or Bradley Chubb (extremely low probability), they may still consider moving down.
A couple of things are for sure, they have their work cut out for them and it will be the hardest draft to accumulate picks. It might mean missing out on some real good players to fill the holes and decrease the salary commitments on Defense.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:36 am

That's the thing every year. I do all this research and predict this or that, and they go a completely different direction. Even when I try to think like them in my predictions I'm always way off.... :lol:
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Oly » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:22 am

Largent80 wrote:That's the thing every year. I do all this research and predict this or that, and they go a completely different direction. Even when I try to think like them in my predictions I'm always way off.... :lol:

The unpredictability of the draft under JS/PC is precisely why I've stopped following it entirely. I'll just read up about the picks after it's done.
Oly
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:31 pm

Not me, it's fun to research it and try and predict it.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:16 pm

Here's a great story about Shaquilles brother.

http://www.nfl.com/labs/cfb247/shaquem- ... iffin.html
Largent80
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:00 pm

I Am pleased as punch going to the draft this year. If we get a RB and a OL also a LB we are going to have a great draft. I know it will happen something will cause Pete Carroll to do it it's just a question of when we do it.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby chris98251 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:57 pm

I like Penny as our choice, I have a hard time with Backs that have road graders in front of them like some of the top guys Penny had to work a lot harder and looks good as well as will be there lower in the draft round.
chris98251
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:52 pm

Draft pick or FA we have got to get a RB
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:48 am

The Bills just lost their Center Eric Woods to a career ending neck injury.
This might mean they could be interested in moving up for a good Center in the draft like maybe Billy Price?
They might sit still and hope he's there because they have 21 and 22 in the 1st round as well as 53 and 56 in the 2nd along with 88 in the 3rd.
Maybe move up from 22 plus their 3rd round?
We can hope, I guess.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:34 am

There are a lot of possible trade scenarios out there at this time, and they are interesting to consider, but FA will have an impact on what might be realistic come draft day for all teams.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:50 am

The more I look at Ronald Jones II the more I would like to see him in Seahawk Blue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4YB4O9 ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WLz1deZ9D8
Largent80
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:40 pm

So, what offensive lineman y'all wanting gone? The first year early pick tackle, the first year early pick guard/ center off the all rookie team, the pro bowl center, the tackle y'all claim is good? All I'm seeing needed is possibly a guard, not sure that's an early round pick.

Edit: unless there's a LT available that's a stud can actually pass block, then trade up.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:54 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:So, what offensive lineman y'all wanting gone? The first year early pick tackle, the first year early pick guard/ center off the all rookie team, the pro bowl center, the tackle y'all claim is good? All I'm seeing needed is possibly a guard, not sure that's an early round pick.

Edit: unless there's a LT available that's a stud can actually pass block, then trade up.

How about instead of asking others what they would do, you actually say what YOU would do
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:57 pm

Roach, (and aptly named)Trade up for LT, dude are you Waynes World mental?

We need interior G and RT. on the OL and need Interior pass rushing Defensive Line.

Those are so obvious needs.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:02 pm

Draft a guard in the 4th round ( 3rd if you can recoup a pick), sign an inexpensive guard option or two... possibly trade up for a decent LT and try to trade Brown to recoup the wasted picks lost on acquiring him, if possible, if not, then fill a guard position, and continue to allow the young offensive lineman to continue to learn and grow, ignoring the knee jerk fan criticism about how horrible the lines is, or uneducated claims of not investing in it, they been doing it since Caroll has been here, with 6 playoff appearances and two SBs, no reason to believe they got the right of it.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:03 pm

Largent80 wrote:Roach, (and aptly named)Trade up for LT, dude are you Waynes World mental?

We need interior G and RT. on the OL and need Interior pass rushing Defensive Line.

Those are so obvious needs.

Yup, Wayne's world mental, better than Helen Keller blind I guess...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:15 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Draft a guard in the 4th round ( 3rd if you can recoup a pick), sign an inexpensive guard option or two... possibly trade up for a decent LT and try to trade Brown to recoup the wasted picks lost on acquiring him, if possible, if not, then fill a guard position, and continue to allow the young offensive lineman to continue to learn and grow, ignoring the knee jerk fan criticism about how horrible the lines is, or uneducated claims of not investing in it, they been doing it since Caroll has been here, with 6 playoff appearances and two SBs, no reason to believe they got the right of it.

Hahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....HA

Ridiculous, and the hypocritical knee jerk fan criticism.....holy hyperbole.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:25 pm

Priorities based on last year and not considering what Solari might want to do:
1) RB
1a) G
2) Pass rusher
3) LB

Depending on how the draft falls and any trades made, the first pick might be a LB or Pass rusher if the value is there or there's a huge dropoff in talent after that pick.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:27 am

Blah, you asked for what "I would do" gave you an honest answer, don't like it? Tough chit. Not interested in debating lineman taking years to adjust to the NFL game, it's a fact, and accepted by the majority of knowledgeable fans, nor am I particularly interested in discussing at length the issue with Brown's play, it's merely the arguments I had about Locklear and Spencer but with a different name. You can't see his technique flaws in pass protection that's on you. You want to swallow the hype and ignore what your eyes are telling you, be my guest. I don't panic over young lineman learning, and I don't pretend a player is good or great because what they did 6 years ago, and have a fat contract. That said, tell and preach whatever let's you sleep at night, I'm not interested in dilusions.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:31 am

https://247sports.com/nfl/seattle-seaha ... 14533255/8

It's like I'm not as clueless or far out there add some seen to want to pretend...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:07 am

HumanCockroach wrote:https://247sports.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/ContentGallery/How-to-fix-the-Seahawks-run-game-in-2018-114533255/8

It's like I'm not as clueless or far out there add some seen to want to pretend...

You don't give up on young OL after 1 or 2 years. It takes a few years to develop for most and only the truly great ones are good very early in their careers.
The last thing you want to be is a feeder system of OL for the rest of the league.

Check out the interview down the page with Luke Willson who talks about that infamous final Super Bowl play.
Some salty language, but an interesting perspective. It's subtitled so you can turn your sound off if at work or in front of kids.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:54 am

NorthHawk wrote:You don't give up on young OL after 1 or 2 years.

No, this administration's MO has been to give up on them when their money contract is due ...
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:46 am

I was alluding to those who want to replace all of the OL and start new.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:59 pm

I'm aware North, which is why the example of what "I would do" involved drafting a guard, and bringing in a couple veterans to compete. Which is pretty much exactly what this article said, a day after I said it. Young lineman take time, and for all the angst, I like the potential Ifedi, Procic ( needs desperately to bulk up) Britt, and even utility lineman Obiahmbo show... I do not buy the hype on Brown, guys horrendous in pass protection and performed worse than the three left tackles Seattle used before him, but is an upgrade in run blocking, so unless a more complete, cheaper player is available in the first round that can start day 1 at LT, you wait, draft a guard or even two, allow Brown to pave the way in the run game, and babysit him with chips and backs in passing situations until you can either replace him through the draft, or Fant/Obiambo or someone else passes him. Then Cut his turnstile arse.

Anyway you cut it, there's a LOT of early round, athletic talent on that line, it's not about cutting bait and replacing, it's about utilizing them, and molding them into experienced, effective lineman.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:22 pm

I'm giving Brown a bit of a break and would like to see him after a full training camp where he gets to know the player beside him and the plays.
Most times players that come in late after a holdout get injured or just don't ever get their timing down. There are some exceptions, but those players are perennial All Pros and HoF players like Walter Jones.
He may have lost it, you might be right, but even if he has, having Fant watch how Brown prepares along with Walt helping him along can't hurt for whenever Fant is playing better than Brown and gets the starts.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:22 am

Technique isn't a rust thing IMHO, and he falters in it. I don't know if he simply wasn't very good technique wise earlier in his career but was a good enough athlete to make up for it, and has slowed to the point he can't any longer, or if he simply became lazy and no longer has the footwork to be effective. That said, at least touching a DE off the snap isn't a training camp issue, or a not knowing the guy next to you issue, it's a you're not up to snuff issue. Hopefully he resembles a half way decent LT next season, it is a contract year after all, but I do know if Houston thought he was as good as some make him out to be, he NEVER leaves Houston, as they were making a push towards playoffs, and he had already reported, with a young franchise QB needing to be protected.... there was zero cap issues, his holdout was over, and if he was as great as some believe, he's still in Houston not Seattle. Isn't like they replaced him with some young stud, or a perennial pro bowler... they replaced him with a journeyman making league minimum...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:25 am

Isaiah Wynn would be an awesome addition the the Hawk line, after rewatching tape of Chubb he just kept popping off the screen.

You could add others to the list. Will Hernandez, Connor Williams, Frank Ragnow, Braden Smith, Austin Corbett.

I don't care what lineman gets jettisoned from the current group if we could add any of these it would be an asset.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:22 am

HumanCockroach wrote:Technique isn't a rust thing IMHO, and he falters in it. I don't know if he simply wasn't very good technique wise earlier in his career but was a good enough athlete to make up for it, and has slowed to the point he can't any longer, or if he simply became lazy and no longer has the footwork to be effective. That said, at least touching a DE off the snap isn't a training camp issue, or a not knowing the guy next to you issue, it's a you're not up to snuff issue. Hopefully he resembles a half way decent LT next season, it is a contract year after all, but I do know if Houston thought he was as good as some make him out to be, he NEVER leaves Houston, as they were making a push towards playoffs, and he had already reported, with a young franchise QB needing to be protected.... there was zero cap issues, his holdout was over, and if he was as great as some believe, he's still in Houston not Seattle. Isn't like they replaced him with some young stud, or a perennial pro bowler... they replaced him with a journeyman making league minimum...

I don't want to be an apologist because I don't know what the issue was, but maybe his right ankle wasn't strong enough to push off effectively for speed rushers. It's a fine line at this level of being effective or being not good enough to play at a previous level.
As well, Cable may have wanted him to do things differently than he had been.
There are just a number of possible dynamics in play that need to be discovered including he's lost it but a full off season and TC should show us the answer.

Largent80, Wynn would be a good addition inside for the pass game, how well did he do at Guard in run blocking?
The others you listed have tape of them run blocking as a Guard, but I haven't seen much from Wynn. He's athletic enough and seems to have good power anchoring against bull rushes, but does he have the push too to play inside in short yardage situations?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:33 am

Hey Northhawk....regarding Wynn as I said I already knew about him before the Championship game and so I zeroed in on him in that game and then in last weeks Senior Bowl.

He's just super smooth....and does everything well — footwork, balance, hand placement, control. He was the most consistent performer at the Senior Bowl. Technically it’s hard to find players at his level in college. He’s not the biggest or most physically impressive but he just looks so competent. If you were able to trade down and still get him in the late first or early second round, how could you not feel very comfortable with that decision?

He's not some huge project like even our players that have played a few years are. We need at least one like that and actually more.

Hawks need help at G in my opinion. Joekel will be gone and we should add at least one guy in the draft.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:54 am

Looks like the Cowpies might be eyeing him. Heck probably everyone is now.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2018 ... highlights
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:51 am

I'm sure most teams are considering him, but it depends on their priorities.
Do the 'boys need another Guard more than a DT, WR, DE, or DB?
Maybe they think they do, but teams don't usually draft into strength at the top of the draft.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:55 pm

Cowboys line took 2 big hits this last year and was pretty average. They have another big OL contract due. Ya can't have it all for very long in this league.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:25 am

Hawks are looking at Wake Forest Safety Jessie Bates III.

Eyebrows were raised when Wake Forest safety Jessie Bates III announced he was entering the draft, but this was primarily from people unfamiliar with his game.

Bates’ film is impressive — he’s an athletic center fielder who plays with excellent speed, displays great range and really stands out in pass coverage.

Though he’s just a redshirt sophomore, Bates plays disciplined, assignment football and is never out of position.

There are some who feel his ball skills are good enough that a move to corner is possible. While I don’t necessarily agree with this, I do believe Bates is the type of safety who can line up over the slot receiver when necessary.

While we presently stamp Bates with a fifth-round grade, there are a few teams who believe he could go as early as the third round. The Seattle Seahawks and Green Bay Packers are two of the teams looking hard at Bates.
Largent80
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks Forum