Notice Anything About Our Schedule Next Year?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Notice Anything About Our Schedule Next Year?

Postby idhawkman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Here's our scheduled opponents next year. We know the Raiders are week 6 in London but don't know the rest of the schedule yet. What I want to know is, what is the best and worst things you notice about the schedule next year?

Home: Los Angeles Rams, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Chargers, Dallas Cowboys.

Away: Los Angeles Rams, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, Carolina Panthers.

What I like the most is that other than the London game, we have pretty much a regionalized AWAY schedule (freakin' Panthers put a hole in that but hey, not bad overall).

What I don't like: Not sure that the NFC NOrth will be that easy next year...
idhawkman
Legacy

Re: Notice Anything About Our Schedule Next Year?

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:52 pm

Looks like other than Carolina the real tough games are Home although 4-4 last year at Home and 5-3 on the road does it really matter . If the team doesn’t improve it’s a recipe for 7-9. Pretty loaded.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:20 pm

idhawkman wrote:Here's our scheduled opponents next year. We know the Raiders are week 6 in London but don't know the rest of the schedule yet. What I want to know is, what is the best and worst things you notice about the schedule next year?

Home: Los Angeles Rams, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Chargers, Dallas Cowboys.

Away: Los Angeles Rams, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, Carolina Panthers.

What I like the most is that other than the London game, we have pretty much a regionalized AWAY schedule (freakin' Panthers put a hole in that but hey, not bad overall).

What I don't like: Not sure that the NFC NOrth will be that easy next year...

Actually we know a little more than that: Our bye will be in Week 7, after we get home from London.

It's a pretty good draw IMO. With the exception of the home-and-home with the Rams, we don't play any of the division champs on the road. But handicapping schedules this far out is problematic at best.

And I agree with Hawktalk: If we don't change the paradigm from the past 3 seasons, this is a .500ish season.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:07 pm

Schedules and strengths (supposedly) matter nothing.

It's about the TEAM, the makeup of it and the confidence needed.

If you need proof of that, look at our past and also look at this years playoffs.

People try and handicap a season when they see these schedules, and in the past it was kinda possible to do it.

Not anymore. Who would have thought Washington and AZ would win in Seattle this year?
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Seahawkgal » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:41 am

I will be going to the Detroit game. We had a blast when we went in 2012. :D
Seahawkgal
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:52 am

Seagal wish I was going with you. I Will try to go to a game this season also.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:04 pm

Seahawkgal wrote:I will be going to the Detroit game. We had a blast when we went in 2012. :D

Depending on how the schedule dates fall, Detroit is a possibility for me. I'm definetly going to the London game and if we're on the road in Week 5 before going across the pond, I might catch that game as well.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:26 pm

Notice Anything?

Ya!!!!!

8-8 at best
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:01 pm

Lamb-BLOW 2014 wrote:Notice Anything?

Ya!!!!!

Rams will still suck at home

Dude...get yourself a snot rag.

Largent80
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:19 pm

Last seasons schedule looked good too when it first came out. If fact, it WAS good, we were the ones that didn't take advantage of it. Oh well, I believe we will be back next season and if not next season (in case PC decides to blow everything up) the season after that!

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:35 am

It’s a total crapshoot predicting year to year in this league. It’s got a lot more to do with our team than whose on the schedule .

T In hindsight Seattle handled the NFC champs, lost by 6 on the road to Jacksonville with a missed FG. 3 missed at home in the skins game. Titans was day the team stayed in the locker roomafter chumps sob comments and Carroll alluded that it affected the play of the team. 4 of 7 losses were divisional round or better teams, GB was clearly a SB contender in week one as well.

Clearly there are issues with first half offense and 3 minute defense but maybe we’re not that far off.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:13 am

You boys can thank your lucky stars that Walsh missed all those kicks costing you 2-3 games!

First you would have been embarrassed by the Rams in the Playoffs so you avoided that

If and a huge IF you would have made it to the SB as a pretender it would be a national embarrassment with a huge loss
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:47 pm

I think the pats have benefitted from playing in one of the worst divisions in the history of the NFL for as long as they've been bad. Its not hard to go deep in the playoffs every year when you are almost 100% healthy from not playing tough competition all year and you have a bye the first game of the playoffs.

So I do believe that schedules matter. That said, it is then up to the TEAM to make the rest of the magic happen and that includes the coaches, trainers, even the laundry guys. Its a mentality of winning. What this team needs next year is a strong START to the season to get that mentality back before it sinks back to 1990's level.

I think our schedule is setup to give us every opportunity to get that mentality back next year, thus the post...
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:54 am

Id as to playing in a weak division I agree the pats have had incredibly smooth sailing. Other than a few jets team I don’t remember anyone else making much noise for almost 2 decades. I must point out as when Holmy was dominating the “ NFC worst” it was because he was hanging 1-2 losses on division teams hence making them “worse”

Dominance is dominance. You got to be good to be lucky and they have been the luckiest dynasty in the history of pro sports
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:42 am

Hawktawk wrote:Id as to playing in a weak division I agree the pats have had incredibly smooth sailing. Other than a few jets team I don’t remember anyone else making much noise for almost 2 decades. I must point out as when Holmy was dominating the “ NFC worst” it was because he was hanging 1-2 losses on division teams hence making them “worse”

Dominance is dominance. You got to be good to be lucky and they have been the luckiest dynasty in the history of pro sports

Playing in a weak AFC East certainly helps, but one of the reasons why it's weak is that the other 3 teams have had the unlucky fortune to have to play the Pats twice a year. So it's a case of which came first, the chicken or the egg.

And although I haven't done my homework, I'm willing to bet a tall cold one to anyone that wants to contend that since Belicheck took over that the Pats don't have at least a .500+ winning percentage over all the other teams in the AFC and at least 3/4 of the teams in the NFC (allowing for the fact that they don't play each other as often). Any takers?

As much as it may pain us to say it, the Pats are good. They are the most dominant team NFL in the current era and certainly one of the most dominating teams in professional sporting history, deservedly in the same conversation as the Yankees and Celtics.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:56 pm

Rambo2014 wrote:You boys can thank your lucky stars that Walsh missed all those kicks costing you 2-3 games!

First you would have been embarrassed by the Rams in the Playoffs so you avoided that

If and a huge IF you would have made it to the SB as a pretender it would be a national embarrassment with a huge loss

???Really? WTF???
If I saw you on the playground, I'd take away your lunch money.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:26 am

Ramblo! You flamed out in the first round AT HOME to a 9-7 team that was a missed Walsh field goal from possibly losing in our house. That's after missing the playoffs for what ? 13-14 years?

Seattle meanwhile hasn't had a home playoff loss in 14 years in spite of winning the division 4 times under Holmgren including a SB appearance and 6 playoff teams in Carrolls 8 seasons none of whom failed to reach the divisional round and one lombardi in 2 appearances with the worst goal line call in NFL history or there may well have been 2. Thats with a complete rebuild in the middle of this crazy run.

STFU little boy. We can bask in our laurels but your team hasn't won jack of a post game appearance since 2004.

Stow it. CU next year pal.Lets see if you can repeat or is it a flash in the pan....
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:34 am

Hawktawk wrote:Ramblo! You flamed out in the first round AT HOME to a 9-7 team that was a missed Walsh field goal from possibly losing in our house. That's after missing the playoffs for what ? 13-14 years?

Seattle meanwhile hasn't had a home playoff loss in 14 years in spite of winning the division 4 times under Holmgren including a SB appearance and 6 playoff teams in Carrolls 8 seasons none of whom failed to reach the divisional round and one lombardi in 2 appearances with the worst goal line call in NFL history or there may well have been 2. Thats with a complete rebuild in the middle of this crazy run.

STFU little boy. We can bask in our laurels but your team hasn't won jack of a post game appearance since 2004.

Stow it. CU next year pal.Lets see if you can repeat or is it a flash in the pan....

The Rams don't have a home field advantage. Their fan base is the lamest in the league and they don't give two chits whether they win or lose.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kroenke-rams-l ... ml?src=rss
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:45 pm

idhawkman wrote:I think the pats have benefitted from playing in one of the worst divisions in the history of the NFL for as long as they've been bad. Its not hard to go deep in the playoffs every year when you are almost 100% healthy from not playing tough competition all year and you have a bye the first game of the playoffs.

So I do believe that schedules matter. That said, it is then up to the TEAM to make the rest of the magic happen and that includes the coaches, trainers, even the laundry guys. Its a mentality of winning. What this team needs next year is a strong START to the season to get that mentality back before it sinks back to 1990's level.

I think our schedule is setup to give us every opportunity to get that mentality back next year, thus the post...

ESPN had an article discussing the easiest paths to the SB since 1990 (really only looking at post-season schedules). The Pats had 4 of the easiest 10 roads to the SB. Pretty crazy to think about. A big part of their 'easy' roads has been the fact that they have been a #1 seed so many times. Their easy divisional schedule has certainly had a hand in this.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:01 pm

ESPN had an article discussing the easiest paths to the SB since 1990 (really only looking at post-season schedules). The Pats had 4 of the easiest 10 roads to the SB. Pretty crazy to think about. A big part of their 'easy' roads has been the fact that they have been a #1 seed so many times. Their easy divisional schedule has certainly had a hand in this.

We have the toughest schedule in the league.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:07 am

mykc14 wrote:ESPN had an article discussing the easiest paths to the SB since 1990 (really only looking at post-season schedules). The Pats had 4 of the easiest 10 roads to the SB. Pretty crazy to think about. A big part of their 'easy' roads has been the fact that they have been a #1 seed so many times. Their easy divisional schedule has certainly had a hand in this.

There's little doubt that over the past 20 years, the AFC East is the worst balanced division in the league. But as I said in another thread, it's one of those "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" dilemma's. By that I mean is are the Pats a great team because they play in a weak AFC East or is the AFC East weak in part because they all have to play the Pats twice a season?

I'd be interested to see what the Pats interdivisional and interconference records are over that same period of time and contrast it with their intradivisional record.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:41 am

It's part of why I doubt Brady is the greatest of all time. He's the most successful, and he's in the running, but is it him or his luck of being in the right place at the right time?
The team didn't do too badly when he was out and the 2nd and 3rd string QBs played.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:11 pm

You have to give it to Brady. You are what your record says you are. You have to be lucky to be good and the luckiest thing for him is he got a coach who saw enough to bench a pro bowl QB a couple years removed from the SB and then surround him with schemes and players to succeed. The success of other guys in the system, particularly Cassell shows the coach is great as does a team that cuts or trades stars in their prime, never gets in cap hell that I've heard of and is right there every year.

But as to Brady you have to be really good to be lucky that often.

GOAT coach and QB
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:04 pm

Meh. He's being given too much credit.
He's very good, but I think others might have been better but didn't get the chance.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:02 am

NorthHawk wrote:Meh. He's being given too much credit.
He's very good, but I think others might have been better but didn't get the chance.

You could say that about a lot of players in a lot of sports. How many HOF baseball players would have done as well as they did had blacks been allowed to participate in the MLB prior to 1947? Would Babe Ruth been the home run champ or would it have been Josh Gibson?

The fact is that Brady got his chance and took full advantage of it. You can't discount his career based on what if's or lucky stars.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:04 am

He threw what? 52 TDs in a season? 8 SB appearances? He and Bill are the only 2 guys left in the building other than Robert Kraft. Whos better than that?
There's a reason Bill has stuck with Brady all these years since he's proven absolutely ruthless with players he sees as in decline or at maximum trade value.
I think there was a power struggle on Garoppolo as BB saw him as a successor and so did Brady but the lure of an 8th SB and 6th Lombardi was too great.
Assuming Belichick sticks around a couple of more years I think we will find out who was more responsible.
I say coach but great players make great coaches and I dont see who you can put ahead of Brady, especially if he pulls this off.
I see him getting pressure which is his nemesis so we will see. GO EAGLES !!!
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:08 am

Like I said, most successful - yes. The greatest? That's under debate.
He's been incredibly lucky. What would have happened if Bledsoe hadn't been injured and started for 2 or 3 more years ahead of Brady and he was shipped off to the Browns of the day when his contract came up for renewal.
I doubt we would be talking like this and we might be discussing another QB that got the chance Brady might have missed.
It's all about timing in sports. Being in the right place at the right time and he's been incredibly lucky to have landed where he did and we've seen the Pats being pretty good without him.
That doesn't make him the greatest. It only makes him the most successful because of the surrounding environment. And that's largely by good fortune for any successful player.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:07 am

RiverDog wrote:
You could say that about a lot of players in a lot of sports. How many HOF baseball players would have done as well as they did had blacks been allowed to participate in the MLB prior to 1947? Would Babe Ruth been the home run champ or would it have been Josh Gibson?

The fact is that Brady got his chance and took full advantage of it. You can't discount his career based on what if's or lucky stars.

Yeah I would love to find some way to discount Brady and Belichick's success and it's impossible at this point. I was certainty willing to when they hadn't won a SB since Spy-Gate (which gave them a huge advantage, IMO), but their continued success has proven their greatness (unless we find out about another huge cheating scandal).
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:30 pm

Belichick is a fantastic coach who prepares his teams for almost every situation. Maybe the best ever and he's won with and without Brady and could still do so.
It will be interesting if Dante Scharneccia their OL coach retires as he suggested he might. He did so before and their OL and Offense went into the tank for a year but they will apparently also lose both their OC and DC this year, too.
Next year will be interesting for them if they lose all 3 and will test Belichick's coaching abilities like he hasn't been tested for quite a while.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum