SB XLVIII Officiating

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

SB XLVIII Officiating

Postby Vegaseahawk » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:15 pm

I just had a thought. What if the officiating or lack thereof influences the outcome of the Superbowl AGAIN?
2014-Peyton Manning-Twilight of career; America's hero, getting his due. Do you think the officials might "help" him get his, what a lot of people believe is a well deserved Lombardi to finish his career?
Conversely, do you think that the ref's might have a tendency to cut Seattle some slack in view of the admitted mistakes they made in XL? I, think that if the officiating goes the same way that it has in the playoffs so far, then there is no way that this issue comes into question either way. I feel that they have done a good job of trying to be consistent in their calls. Seattle's aggressive defense has not been flagged unessessarily as much as they did in the regular season. Have there been bad calls? Sure, but those calls have gone both ways, not just against Seattle as we've seen in the past. The fact that this is currently a non-issue verifies that fact. Thoughts?
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Re: SB XLVIII Officiating

Postby rottweiler » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:24 pm

I have been pretty worried about this very thing myself, yeah.

I'm just going to keep praying to God that we get a fair game. Along with no serious injuries to anyone on the field, that's all I want. A fair game.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:53 pm

As much as I love Richard Sherman and believe that the press, especially Rich Eisen of the NFL Network and has blown his comments just seconds after the NFC Championship game, I fear he inadvertently opened the door to the officials calling ticky tacky P-I fouls on the LOB.

I am sure that Goodell has told the head of the officials to pay extra attention to possible fouls by the Seattle defensive backfield, especially Richard Sherman. The NFL doesn't want the big bad mean LOB to make manning look bad and take Lombardi from him. Goodell probably will rationalize his being biased toward Denver because he "feels" that America wouldn't like a so-called "loud mouth" like Richard Sherman make the winning play in the Super Bowl against Peyton Manning and possibly directing a choke sign toward him on National T.V.

Many former and current players have come to Sherman's defense yet when the NFL network or ESPN put together panels to discuss Sherman's post game comments one of them has 2 former 49ners and a former Bronco NO they wouldn't be biased, would they?? Oh and then there was the cBS panel with Bill Coward, Dan Marino, and Shannon Sharp. Everyone knows Marino hates the Seahawks, Sharp is a former Bronco and a Seahawk hater and we ALL know the beef that Bill Coward has against our Seahawks. Coward knows that if he had had an ounce of integrity he would have handed the Lombardi back to Taglibue and admitted his team didn't really win XL. The only impartial one on the panel was Boomer Essiason.

Oh, and don't get me started, the NFL Network has been putting on various pundits and analysts most of whom I have never seen or heard of who talk on and on just how and why our Seahawks don't stand a chance.

It isn't XL all over again, it is XL on steroids. That said, I firmly believe that our Seahawks are NOT going to put themselves in a position where the officials can affect the game and they are going to take the wood to the Broncos and beat them like a red headed step child.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:45 am

We're going to be OK.

I don't see this game being decided by the refs.

The Seahawks are gonna win it, fair and square.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:45 am

Zorn76 wrote:We're going to be OK.

Ageed.

Plus the NFl lost some money on that poorly reffed game. Thousands of Seahawk fans called into the NFl, boycotted, and made havoc with the networks and their advertisers. I joined several groups that made calls to advertisers and media stations to protest the poor calls. And the NFL horrible reaction to the obvious irregularities. Now refs have a completely new system of determining who will call a game where and when. Much improved. And as far as I can tell, they are not deciding outcomes of games. I'll take it.

I think things have changed for the better. For sure, the NFL can't be seen as influencing the outcome of any game as they did in 2005. It is bad for business. Even the Mob business.

Where you are favored to win like the Broncos, I might expect a few more slider calls against the Seahawks just to help out Vegas.
We will have to beat them like the Giants beat the Pats. Just make a play that is too over the top to overturn. Just WHIP them. Then the zebras will shut up, and call it a day. I suspect we will win by more than two scores. Just a feeling.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Long Time Fan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:19 pm

Eaglehawk wrote:

Ageed.

I think things have changed for the better. For sure, the NFL can't be seen as influencing the outcome of any game as they did in 2005. It is bad for business. Even the Mob business.

Where you are favored to win like the Broncos, I might expect a few more slider calls against the Seahawks just to help out Vegas.
We will have to beat them like the Giants beat the Pats. Just make a play that is too over the top to overturn. Just WHIP them. Then the zebras will shut up, and call it a day. I suspect we will win by more than two scores. Just a feeling.

I will not fall fear to being 05-ed. I do believe that this will be a close game whereby the loser will lament any number of would-haves, could-haves; untimely penalities, dropped balls, blown coverages, turnovers, feet in-bounds, ect. I think the margin for error on either side is slim. I don't see us being outplayed by any true margin.

To this point in the playoffs, they have let the boyz play. I expect more of the same officiating,if bad then randomly so. This team has exorcised every demon; road woes, 10AM starts, bye week malaise, 49er's, and bad officiating. Some of you will just need to get over the fact that we have the best team in the NFL and they are posed to prove it.
Long Time Fan
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:47 am

Long Time Fan wrote:
Eaglehawk wrote:

Ageed.

I will not fall fear to being 05-ed. I do believe that this will be a close game whereby the loser will lament any number of would-haves, could-haves; untimely penalities, dropped balls, blown coverages, turnovers, feet in-bounds, ect. I think the margin for error on either side is slim. I don't see us being outplayed by any true margin.

To this point in the playoffs, they have let the boyz play. I expect more of the same officiating,if bad then randomly so. This team has exorcised every demon; road woes, 10AM starts, bye week malaise, 49er's, and bad officiating. Some of you will just need to get over the fact that we have the best team in the NFL and they are posed to prove it.

This seems as truth. But why? Is it because of what happened earlier? I'm a little bit like Rott: I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Long Time Fan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:29 am

Eaglehawk wrote:
Long Time Fan wrote:To this point in the playoffs, they have let the boyz play.[/b] I expect more of the same officiating,if bad then randomly so. This team has exorcised every demon; road woes, 10AM starts, bye week malaise, 49er's, and bad officiating. Some of you will just need to get over the fact that we have the best team in the NFL and they are posed to prove it.

This seems as truth. But why? Is it because of what happened earlier? I'm a little bit like Rott: I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Why goes through life waiting for the other shoe, pass, market, your wife's boobs, to drop? It might drop or it might not, no knows the future. I prefer to live in the moment and at this moment, my team, a team that I have rooted for since its inception, is on the verge of winning its first superbowl. Its been 8 years since we were in this position and I have no idea when it may occur again. This is our best opportunity and I choose to believe that we will win.

If you are playing in a superbowl then you are playing a good team capable of beating your team. So what? The Broncos are good. NSS. But the Seahawks are better until someone proves otherwise. This Sunday the Seahawks will prove it. Why not us?
Long Time Fan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:41 am

I said in another thread that I think in the NFL the home team usually gets the benefit of the doubt for the most part.
Since neither team is from the East Coast, I don't think the Refs will be the deciding factor - at least not to the extent of '05.
The Refs will make mistakes as they always do, but I don't think there will be the same dominance of fans for Denver like it was for Pittsburgh that would influence the Refs.

Just my take of course.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:19 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I said in another thread that I think in the NFL the home team usually gets the benefit of the doubt for the most part.
Since neither team is from the East Coast, I don't think the Refs will be the deciding factor - at least not to the extent of '05.
The Refs will make mistakes as they always do, but I don't think there will be the same dominance of fans for Denver like it was for Pittsburgh that would influence the Refs.

Just my take of course.

Whatever team Peyton Manning is playing for will always be the equivalent of the NFL's "home team" — even if it were the Jaguars or the Lions.
rottweiler
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum